Movie Soundtracks (NOT Bond) - Old & New Films (chat)

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I've had the OST CD for a long time...this one:
    A1A8v3oXfwL._SL1500_.jpg
    It may not be the complete score, but it's the original and good enough (and Disclaimer: I think that Nik Raine and COPPO are doing a great and respectable jobs on their re-recordings).

But I just checked and was amazed that the OST CD now goes for almost 90 euros (new) on amazon.de. My order history shows I paid EUR 6.95 for it in 2008.

I think I still have the original soundtrack on vinyl that I got in 1982..!

It kickstarted my love for film music.
    My original LP copy from 1982. Still in good condition!
    20230320-130244.jpg
    20230320-130213.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    20230320-130244.jpg
    20230320-130213.jpg

I am jealous, one of my favorite scores and favorite films.
    20230320-130244.jpg
    20230320-130213.jpg

Very nice. I just have the CD. Always loved that poster too!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2023 Posts: 23,393
    I am having a Star Trek soundtrack night, the ones I don't have on CD I have on digital download copy. Whilst listening on CD especially on my 30 year old Sony CD player it does feel like a nostalgic experience, the old ways are the best.
    FCsDzeP.jpg

Every Star Trek score IMO offers something pretty special, the soundtracks were consistently of a high standard which with the likes of Goldsmith and Horner you have 2 of the greatest composers ever its not surprising.
    ---
    Star Trek: First Contact 25 The Starship Chase

My favorite scene in the film, 1:25 ^:)^

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - The Katra Ritual

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Returning To Vulcan

Amazing piece of music.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - Complete Expanded Soundtrack - 18 Free Minds

This piece of music and scene elevates the film.
    I am having a Star Trek soundtrack night, the ones I don't have on CD I have on digital download copy. Whilst listening on CD especially on my 30 year old Sony CD player it does feel like a nostalgic experience, the old ways are the best.
    FCsDzeP.jpg

Every Star Trek score IMO offers something pretty special, the soundtracks were consistently of a high standard which with the likes of Goldsmith and Horner you have 2 of the greatest composers ever its not surprising.
    ---

Amazing piece of music.

The Star Trek scores are fantastic. Such a diversity of music from different composers.

My personal favourite and one of my top scores of all time is Wrath of Khan. The extended CD is essential!
    FCsDzeP.jpg

---

Amazing piece of music.

The Star Trek scores are fantastic. Such a diversity of music from different composers.

My personal favourite and one of my top scores of all time is Wrath of Khan. The extended CD is essential!

I seriously need to get the expanded score of Wrath of Khan I only have the 9 track version.

I did have a few of the Star Trek soundtracks on vinyl also though got rid of most of my vinyl 20 years ago... huge mistake on my part though I recently bought a record player and started buying vinyl again.
    FCsDzeP.jpg

---

Amazing piece of music.

I seriously need to get the expanded score of Wrath of Khan I only have the 9 track version.

I did have a few of the Star Trek soundtracks on vinyl also though got rid of most of my vinyl 20 years ago... huge mistake on my part though I recently bought a record player and started buying vinyl again.

I also stupidly got rid of loads of my vinyl years ago @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

God knows how much it was worth!

I have the Wrath of Khan soundtrack on wma files if you'd like me to send them to you?
    FCsDzeP.jpg

---

Amazing piece of music.

I have the Wrath of Khan soundtrack on wma files if you'd like me to send them to you?

Cheers mate though I managed to to get the expanded score, I listened to it yesterday. James Horner's music is incredible, he died way too young.
    FCsDzeP.jpg

---

Amazing piece of music.

Cheers mate though I managed to to get the expanded score, I listened to it yesterday. James Horner's music is incredible, he died way too young.

Glad you got it. It's well worth it.

Yeah, we lost him way too soon. A wonderful composer. So many great scores. This is one I really love...
    FCsDzeP.jpg

---

Amazing piece of music.

Yeah, we lost him way too soon. A wonderful composer. So many great scores. This is one I really love...

Great score one of my favourites . The Flying Circus theme is incredible...

Also Aliens, Krull and Battle Beyond The Stars are brilliant scores.
    Ride of the Firemares

I really should listen to these themes when out running.
    Epilogue...
    FCsDzeP.jpg

---

Amazing piece of music.

Great score one of my favourites . The Flying Circus theme is incredible...

Also Aliens, Krull and Battle Beyond The Stars are brilliant scores.
    Ride of the Firemares

I really should listen to these themes when out running.
    Epilogue...

Wonderful music. I've never seen Krull all the way through, but I love the soundtrack. 'Ride of the Firemares' is amazing.
    James Horner did great film scores, did a couple for Director Walter Hill, and for us Bond fans, he was original choice for NSNA!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    James Horner did great film scores, did a couple for Director Walter Hill, and for us Bond fans, he was original choice for NSNA!

Oh if only he had done NSNA..I agree mate.

Yeah I forgot he did a cool score for 48HRS...

I must do a compilation of Horner's music to put in my phone.
    Tower

James Horner's Spiderman score was great also.
    Tower

That's cool. I had no idea he did The Amazing Spider-Man score. That's the one with The Lizard I assume? I'm not very au fait with the Spidey cineverse...
    I forgot, Horner also did a great score for Gorky Park. I used to have this on vinyl..
    Horner’s scores for 48HRS, Gorky Park, Commando, and Red Heat are very similar. In fact they all have that calypso drums sound that’s so identifiable with these films. I typically call it the Commado sound. Love it!
    Tower

That's cool. I had no idea he did The Amazing Spider-Man score. That's the one with The Lizard I assume? I'm not very au fait with the Spidey cineverse...

That's the one the theme i posted is from there final confrontation.

---

I believe this was Horners last score...
    A long road back...

I am a big fan of Commando score i listen to it often usually very loudly :))
    I forgot, Horner also did a great score for Gorky Park. I used to have this on vinyl..

For a moment the opening of the track reminded me of Giorgio Moroder's Scarface though of course Gorky Park was made a year earlier.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 23,393
    Enterprise Leaves Spacedock with James Horner Score - Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country

I posted this on another thread though its a great illustration of how great James Horner's Star Trek themes are. (This is awesome, watch this on a big screen).
    Midnight Cowboy and The Lion in Winter.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    Enterprise Leaves Spacedock with James Horner Score - Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country

I posted this on another thread though its a great illustration of how great James Horner's Star Trek themes are. (This is awesome, watch this on a big screen).

As much as I enjoy Cliff Eidelman's score for VI, there is a part of me that will always slightly regret that Horner turned down the chance to score it out of the sense he'd outgrown the franchise as a composer. Seeing this shows why that might not have been the case at all (and, indeed, Horner had no problem scoring two of the Jack Ryan films and the Amazing Spider-Man films later on, which perhaps showed how his opinions or career needs had changed in the years after he turned VI down).

As much as I enjoy Cliff Eidelman's score for VI, there is a part of me that will always slightly regret that Horner turned down the chance to score it out of the sense he'd outgrown the franchise as a composer. Seeing this shows why that might not have been the case at all (and, indeed, Horner had no problem scoring two of the Jack Ryan films and the Amazing Spider-Man films later on, which perhaps showed how his opinions or career needs had changed in the years after he turned VI down).

Back in the 80's I wanted Horner to do all the Trek films especially The Voyage Home though years later I realized they wanted a tonal shift. Shame he did not return to do 6, ^ has a good score though its no Horner.

I watched Avatar 2 recently good to see Horner's themes still being used...

Jake's First Flight (07) - Avatar Soundtrack

Arguably the best part of the first film.

Back in the 80's I wanted Horner to do all the Trek films especially The Voyage Home though years later I realized they wanted a tonal shift. Shame he did not return to do 6, ^ has a good score though its no Horner.

That's a fantastic score. One of his most accomplished IMO. I also think the film is wonderful. I know it generates a lot of sneers, but as far as I'm concerned it's what cinema is all about.

That's a fantastic score. One of his most accomplished IMO. I also think the film is wonderful. I know it generates a lot of sneers, but as far as I'm concerned it's what cinema is all about.

I have Avatar on Bluray its been a while since i watched it, I struggle with the second act it for me really slows the film down.

I bought Avatar 2 on 4K I have come to the conclusion that you just have to view these films as an experience, both films are for there times astonishing on a technical level.
    Floating Office (Music from the Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition)

Just listening to the expanded score, brilliant soundtrack, masterpiece.
    Floating Office (Music from the Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director’s Edition)

A wonderful score. Agree, an absolute masterpiece.

All the Star Trek movie scores have been consistently excellent.
    Gladiator Soundtrack - 01 - Progeny

Just bought this on CD, i did own it years ago i forget which format it was likely vinyl. One of Zimmer's best scores IMO. Great movie i was lucky enough to see it on the big screen.

Gladiator Soundtrack - 03 - The Battle

Incredible.

A wonderful score. Agree, an absolute masterpiece.

All the Star Trek movie scores have been consistently excellent.

I had the original score on vinyl though discarded literally my whole collection, I recently bought the expanded score its definitely in my top 10 all time favorite scores.
    Up the Mountain

I had a three month injury lay off up until 2 months ago and decided to start running again after a long time not doing so and I am training well.

I did 15K run today and felt great and even ran on the beach for part of it with the tide fully out sun blazing Rocky III style lol since I got home been listening to the Rocky scores, my go to soundtracks for inspiration.

Gonna Fly Now

Butkus