Movie Soundtracks (NOT Bond) - Old & New Films (chat)

167891012»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,347
    Listening to Mark Kermode on scala RADIO, this week it's horror themes from the movies. This track is exceptional...

---

"Main Theme" for Possession (1981) Music by Andrzej Korzynski [HD]
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,347
    Ennio Morricone -"Magic and Ecstasy" from Exorcist II(1977)

A truly bonkers theme from an insane movie.
    Treadstone Assassins
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I'm a little naive to the Godzilla franchise (have seen the original and the U.S. versions, and now Minus One), and I am learning more about the soundtrack cues used in Minus One and how they reference the previous movies.

It uses the main original theme really well, and also the King Kong vs. Godzilla theme (though Kong does not appear in the movie, it's not a Minus One spoiler I promise).

LucknFate wrote: »
    I'm a little naive to the Godzilla franchise (have seen the original and the U.S. versions, and now Minus One), and I am learning more about the soundtrack cues used in Minus One and how they reference the previous movies.

It uses the main original theme really well, and also the King Kong vs. Godzilla theme (though Kong does not appear in the movie, it's not a Minus One spoiler I promise).

I have not seen Minus One its not out in the UK yet, though hyped these themes appear in the film, I may have to buy the score.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,430

I have not seen Minus One its not out in the UK yet, though hyped these themes appear in the film, I may have to buy the score.

Definitely helped sell it as an epic cinematic experience.
    Treadstone Assassins

I can imagine David Arnold really liking this guitar riff perhaps to the point of inspiration. I almost hear a bit of it in his QoS stuff. I guess I'm thinking of Crawl, End Crawl.

Definitely helped sell it as an epic cinematic experience.
    Treadstone Assassins

I can imagine David Arnold really liking this guitar riff perhaps to the point of inspiration. I almost hear a bit of it in his QoS stuff. I guess I'm thinking of Crawl, End Crawl.

Its my favorite film from the Bourne series also the editing is less frantic, the guitar riff is great you could literally cut and paste this track onto the QoS score.
    Main Title - James Horner - Battle Beyond The Stars
    edited January 9 Posts: 23,347
    No. 12 Medusa - Laurence Rosenthal, Clash of the Titans Soundtrack

No. 8 Pegasus - Laurence Rosenthal, Clash of the Titans Soundtrack

I loved this track as a kid.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Here's hoping for a season 4.
    Murdock wrote: »

Here's hoping for a season 4.

Seth Macfaralane in an interview 4 days ago could only say that The Orville is not officially over, here is hoping we get a season 4 or a movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

At one point the film was going to be scored by John Barry; he even recorded several demos.

talos7 wrote: »

At one point the film was going to be scored by John Barry; he even recorded several demos.

I never knew that, I will definitely listen to the full podcast, thank you for posting.
    No problem, I’m a huge Harryhausen fan.
    No problem, I’m a huge Harryhausen fan.

Likewise, the character that Harryhausen put into his creations has never been matched.

As a kid in the late 70's early 80's I watched the Sinbad films, Mysterious Island, Clash.. and Jason... hundreds of times, when you see Kali or Medusa move it is truly mesmerizing.

What makes those films great is they did not have a cheat code (cgi). those films were made from ingenuity and problem solving.
    edited January 10 Posts: 23,347
    Overture

1:24 minutes of perfection.

Autumn

Brilliant score to a great film.
    edited February 17 Posts: 23,347
    Prelude And Rooftop (From "Vertigo")

One of the best films ever made.

Martin Scorsese on Vertigo

I love Scorsese reaction at the end.
    "Chase To The Airfield" (Where Eagles Dare) - OST by Ron Goodwin
    edited April 15 Posts: 23,347
    Driving In The Sun by Isaac Hayes from Truck Turner (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Genius.

Pursuit Of The Pimpmobile by Isaac Hayes from Truck Turner (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

This is one of the greatest tracks ever.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm currently enjoying Zimmer's music for Dune, Pt. 1 and 2, including the extra albums. Excellent stuff!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited April 15 Posts: 6,726
    Well done, Gowers. Tasteful use of electronic sounds there. I'm not a Gowers connoiseur, so I don't know how often he did this, but it reminds me of his fantastic title music for Smiley's People (though that one did have an orchestra along with the synths; I think this one doesn't).

I like this one too.

And such a strange, complex emotional palette here. He was good at that. It's like a happy memory was thrown in a blender with a remote, inscrutable one.

mattjoes wrote: »
    Well done, Gowers. Tasteful use of electronic sounds there. I'm not a Gowers connoiseur, so I don't know how often he did this, but it reminds me of his fantastic title music for Smiley's People (though that one did have an orchestra along with the synths; I think this one doesn't).

I like this one too.

And such a strange, complex emotional palette here. He was good at that. It's like a happy memory was thrown in a blender with a remote, inscrutable one.

Good selection, I recently bought the CD score to another sleuth's TV show Poirot which was a great listen.

I like this one too.

Good selection, I recently bought the CD score to another sleuth's TV show Poirot which was a great listen.
    Cool, I'm going to check out that music score.

The Primevals, an old-fashioned adventure B-movie with stop motion, was released in 2023, but it was originally shot and left unfinished in the 90s. They brought in Richard Band to score it. I haven't seen the film but the music is terrific. Very rich and exciting, with sweeping melodies and making full use of the orchestral palette.

edited April 21 Posts: 23,347

I like this one too.

The Primevals, an old-fashioned adventure B-movie with stop motion, was released in 2023, but it was originally shot and left unfinished in the 90s. They brought in Richard Band to score it. I haven't seen the film but the music is terrific. Very rich and exciting, with sweeping melodies and making full use of the orchestral palette.

The CD I have is simply called Agatha Christies Poirot, composed and conducted by Christopher Gunning. The album I have was from 1992 so just the earlier series tracks.

Hercule Poirot - Vera Rossakoff Theme (The Double Clue)

Christopher Gunning - Hercule Poirot (The Belgian Detective)

This above image is the CD I have though can't find it on YouTube in its entirity, the above are two tracks from the CD.

The Primevals is not a film I am familiar with, interesting that is took so long to release and finish. the music definitely has The Pirates of the Caribean swashbuckling feel.
    ---

Cold Lazarus

Just found this compilation album from Christopher Gunning on YouTube, I like this track I had to put this through my main sound system this is good, a mix of Goldsmith and Goldenthal.
    This is currently playing on Jazz24, first time I have heard this cover, i like it.

Can You Read My Mind (Love Theme From 'Superman') - Jimmy Cobb
    edited April 23 Posts: 23,347
    Overture - Jungle Book (Score)

I found the CD to the original soundtrack of The Jungle Book on my travels today.
    edited April 23 Posts: 7,980

I like this one too.

I have been following the saga of Primevals for over 30 years; it's origins date back to the 60's when it was known as Raiders of the Stone Ring. Dave Allen , the special effects artist behind it, passed away from cancer in 1999 and it seemed destined to remain unfinished until recently.

The composer's brother, Charles Band , is the producer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Primevals

I like this one too.

The CD I have is simply called Agatha Christies Poirot, composed and conducted by Christopher Gunning. The album I have was from 1992 so just the earlier series tracks.

Hercule Poirot - Vera Rossakoff Theme (The Double Clue)

Christopher Gunning - Hercule Poirot (The Belgian Detective)

This above image is the CD I have though can't find it on YouTube in its entirity, the above are two tracks from the CD.
    Nice, love the second theme. Some subtle synths there.

I like this one too.

I have been following the saga of Primevals for over 30 years; it's origins date back to the 60's when it was known as Raiders of the Stone Ring. Dave Allen , the special effects artist behind it, passed away from cancer in 1999 and it seemed destined to remain unfinished until recently.

The composer's brother, Charles Band , is the producer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Primevals
    This movie appears not to be available on streaming yet.

I've thought about watching one of those Band-produced films, maybe one with those killer dolls he likes to feature in his movies so much.