Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Contemporary is dull? Every single Bond film has been contemporary.

Trying to be smart? I'm obviously referring to the modern age, not the 60s. It's all relative, eh?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Trying to be smart? I'm obviously referring to the modern age, not the 60s. It's all relative, eh?

Not trying to be smart, just know the definition of words.

Not trying to be smart, just know the definition of words.

Trying to be smart, per usual. You clearly don't understand the meaning of relativity. Good lad.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Please stop before this goes out of control.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,518
    To keep it simple, contemporary means "of the current time", which all Bond films are. Relativity has nothing to do with it. I assume you mean that modern times are less interesting than the 60s, which from a perspective of espionage, I might agree with you. It's always interesting to see how the wheels turn with less of the technological advancements we have now. But don't tell me I'm wrong when I'm merely talking about what contemporary means. Relativity has nothing to do with it.

Anyways, this is the "who should be Bond" thread, so the sooner you get us back on track with some photos of Aidan Turner, the better off we'll all be.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,318
    @zebrafish The guy called me a racist prior. That ship has sailed. He keeps on trolling, time and time again. Still keeping my fingers my fingers crossed for a ban. You're air to me @NickTwentyTwo I won't reply to you anymore. Useless.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,518
    I did, yes. Anyways, let's get this back on track the only way I know how:

5862.jpg?width=1900&quality=85&dpr=1&s=none

Although olives and a twist is a little strange of a request.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Luke Evans and Michael Fassbender will always be the two actors that were never Bond, but could have been fantastic. They're both smooth and charming but have a ruthless streak that just is James Bond
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Luke Evans and Michael Fassbender will always be the two actors that were never Bond, but could have been fantastic. They're both smooth and charming but have a ruthless streak that just is James Bond

The one that got away.

A66YjXACQAAVEbM.jpg
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Yeah, I think he would have been great.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Just picture him doing the "From Russia With Love" screentest; he would have nailed it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Contemporary is dull tbf, just look at Craig's tenure sans CR, which is actually due to Campbell. Give me 60s setting with actual STYLE any old day of the week. Sure, Sean's no longer with us, but there is ALWAYS new talent around. Bond is walking among us. Ditch the 'new and improved' new age (possibly woke) Bond and go back to the golden age. At least then we have an interesting template, difficult to mess up, along with a truly good director.

That's a strange thing to say considering that Bond films have always been looking 'forth' much more than they have been looking 'back.' I don't think 'contemporary' is wrong for the story and setting, but the style can be 'timeless', that's for sure.

'Woke' is a word I wish people didn't bring to discussions like these. It's become such an elusive term, covering a different meaning for most, and being mostly used in a pejorative way. Whatever its meaning, I doubt that it is relevant to Bond anyway.
    Think about how many classic cars they would have to wreck for the stunts. You can't do that.

I'm still gonna be stanning myself and waiting tables inbetween, like a true actor.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I am so sick of nostalgia and the vocal grown children that never want anything to change. The past is the past, give me a contemporary Bond or nothing. Its such a lazy idea to go back in time and an impossible challenge in practice. Grow up.

I don't disagree with your opinion of continuing to set Bond films during the periods in which they are filmed.

But vocal grown children and grow up. Really?

The one that got away.

A66YjXACQAAVEbM.jpg

I feel his performance in Inglorious Basterds was a bit too much of a parody of a Bond character, however I will say I definitely saw some good qualities in him in X-Men First Class. Superficially he has a pretty classic Bond look, and in real life he has that continental European background and races cars so has a genuine sense of something Bondian about him anyway.

I don't think he could have played the same kind of Bond Craig did (which I think was broadly the right portrayal for the time) but same can be said for some of the other six actors in comparison to each other. Not the actor for the time, but in a parallel universe and a different direction of the films I can see it.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

The one that got away.

A66YjXACQAAVEbM.jpg

He'll star in The Killer, directed by David Fincher and written by Andrew Kevin Walker who wrote Seven and did uncredited rewrites on films like Fight Club and The Game. It's going to be wild and I think it will be a vision of something the Bond franchise could never be, but the Bond character may be realistically.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I am so sick of nostalgia and the vocal grown children that never want anything to change. The past is the past, give me a contemporary Bond or nothing. Its such a lazy idea to go back in time and an impossible challenge in practice. Grow up.

I don't disagree with your opinion of continuing to set Bond films during the periods in which they are filmed.

Don't worry. Children are those who cannot take other people's opinions and must resort to such weak expressions.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Contemporary is dull tbf, just look at Craig's tenure sans CR, which is actually due to Campbell. Give me 60s setting with actual STYLE any old day of the week. Sure, Sean's no longer with us, but there is ALWAYS new talent around. Bond is walking among us. Ditch the 'new and improved' new age (possibly woke) Bond and go back to the golden age. At least then we have an interesting template, difficult to mess up, along with a truly good director.

@LucknFate You always have to make it personal, chap.

Personal by... not even directing it at you? You were so far from my mind when typing that. It wasn't directed at anyone. If you felt like it spoke to you, that's on you.
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,419
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Don't worry. Children are those who cannot take other people's opinions and must resort to such weak expressions.

This is how you get people to leave the forum. If I did something wrong, let me know. If not and you don't like my words, get over it? Again, that wasn't directed any _anyone_ in particular. It's just how I feel about the idea of going back in time. Goo goo ga ga.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

This is how you get people to leave the forum. If I did something wrong, let me know. If not and you don't like my words, get over it?

Yet you take no issue with calling people with different views "vocal grown children" or telling them to "grow up"? All because they're interested in something you're not?
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,419

-deleted- taking a break see you all when there's news, but nostalgia is inherently immature
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,969

That's a strange thing to say considering that Bond films have always been looking 'forth' much more than they have been looking 'back.' I don't think 'contemporary' is wrong for the story and setting, but the style can be 'timeless', that's for sure.

'Woke' is a word I wish people didn't bring to discussions like these. It's become such an elusive term, covering a different meaning for most, and being mostly used in a pejorative way. Whatever its meaning, I doubt that it is relevant to Bond anyway.

Liberalism is the idea that everyone in society should have the same rights regardless of race, gender, religion etc. Intersectionality or "woke"ism is the idea that we should selectively raise and lower people based on their positioning in some percieved system of oppression. When it comes to Bond, I wonder how much longer the series can "get with the times" before the whole thing becomes untenable with respect to modern views. I think Bond will always represent a kind of wish fulfillment fantasy inherent in any red-blooded male , but it's a question of whether that fantasy will still be acceptable to celebrate and romanticise in polite society. Is it becoming verboten for a popular series to present a white, cisgender, heterosexual male who gambles and womanises and battles against foreign enemies in defense of King and country? If will Smith slapping Chris rock taught us anything it's that people have lost the common understanding and respect for eachother that we once had. With the advent of socail media, we've lost the ability to NOT take offense, to NOT take it seriously, and just take an innocent joke for what it is. In that kind of environment the bond producers are forever going to be playing defense, forever making concessions, forever capitulating to the prevailing socail order. They've already started to try and "fix" bonds philandering ways by having him persue committed relationships with women, and in my opinion it has only subtracted from the appeal of the films. When we live in a society where we can no longer have the best of both worlds, where free expression has been so curtailed that even an escapist series like Bond is too transgressive for public consumption, then we're getting into some very dicey waters as a culture IMO.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sorry, but what a load of codswallop.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    -deleted- taking a break see you all when there's news, but nostalgia is inherently immature

Ahh, the irony. Fair enough then.
    So.... anyone have thoughts on that Aidan Turner chap (or whatever his name is) for Bond?
    007HallY wrote: »
    So.... anyone have thoughts on that Aidan Turner chap (or whatever his name is) for Bond?

:D

Liberalism is the idea that everyone in society should have the same rights regardless of race, gender, religion etc. Intersectionality or "woke"ism is the idea that we should selectively raise and lower people based on their positioning in some percieved system of oppression. When it comes to Bond, I wonder how much longer the series can "get with the times" before the whole thing becomes untenable with respect to modern views. I think Bond will always represent a kind of wish fulfillment fantasy inherent in any red-blooded male , but it's a question of whether that fantasy will still be acceptable to celebrate and romanticise in polite society. Is it becoming verboten for a popular series to present a white, cisgender, heterosexual male who gambles and womanises and battles against foreign enemies in defense of King and country? If will Smith slapping Chris rock taught us anything it's that people have lost the common understanding and respect for eachother that we once had. With the advent of socail media, we've lost the ability to NOT take offense, to NOT take it seriously, and just take an innocent joke for what it is. In that kind of environment the bond producers are forever going to be playing defense, forever making concessions, forever capitulating to the prevailing socail order. They've already started to try and "fix" bonds philandering ways by having him persue committed relationships with women, and in my opinion it has only subtracted from the appeal of the films. When we live in a society where we can no longer have the best of both worlds, where free expression has been so curtailed that even an escapist series like Bond is too transgressive for public consumption, then we're getting into some very dicey waters as a culture IMO.

Best post in a while on here. Have a grand weekend to you/ all

Best post in a while on here. Have a grand weekend to you/ all

Cheers @JeremyBondon have a great one yourself :-bd
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It’s a worthy pose, but please don’t take credit for it @JeremyBondon unless you wrote it.
    I’m not going to lie, I miss when it seemed like more people were able to contextualize things and separate fiction from reality. I’m plenty worried what direction(s) the character and series could go in next. If Bond is no longer a womanizer, for instance, to me that would already kill a cornerstone of what the franchise is supposed to be about. I don’t even know why womanizing / “manizing” should be considered problematic if everyone’s consensual.