Who should/could be a Bond actor?

1106810691071107310741100

Comments

  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited April 4 Posts: 410
    talos7 wrote: »
    Michael Billington was mentioned above; I have to be candid I had never heard his name mentioned as a potential Bond., but after looking him up I have to say he had a great look, very intense. Physically he would have been that generation’ Craig.

    ruqn2cS.jpg
    ucZI5zp.jpg
    aPCKEmw.jpg

    According to his obituary on the MI6HQ website, he was tested more times than any other actor. The first time for LALD and the last time for FYEO. He was said to be Cubby's number 2 choice if Roger pulled out. Of course, the only role he ended up playing was as Anya's lover in TSWLM. I've not seen much of him apart from a few episodes of UFO, but I agree he did have potential. He reminds me a little of Lewis Collins whom I'd have loved to see in the role.
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    Posts: 40
    Michael Billington also dated Barbara Broccoli for several years , if that doesn't get you the role nothing will
  • Posts: 25
    If I was in charge of the next Bond movie, it's Aidan Turner or Jack Bannon for me. Turner is a Connery-type imo. His screen presence and animal magnetism on Poldark sells me. Jack Bannon is just James Bond to me, in the same way Brosnan is. I think Bannon also has the look and a cockiness attitude about him, and could pull off the one-liners. Call me crazy, but I also want James May as M, Jeremy Clarkson as Q, and Richard Hammond as Tanner. James May gives me Bernard Lee vibes. Clarkson as Q is perfect in every way imo. With Amazon's involvement now, and Amazon also producing May/Clarkson/Hammond shows, maybe this could actually happen. Also, Adele as Moneypenny.
  • Posts: 1,530
    talos7 wrote: »
    Michael Billington was mentioned above; I have to be candid I had never heard his name mentioned as a potential Bond., but after looking him up I have to say he had a great look, very intense. Physically he would have been that generation’ Craig.

    ruqn2cS.jpg
    ucZI5zp.jpg
    aPCKEmw.jpg

    According to his obituary on the MI6HQ website, he was tested more times than any other actor. The first time for LALD and the last time for FYEO. He was said to be Cubby's number 2 choice if Roger pulled out. Of course, the only role he ended up playing was as Anya's lover in TSWLM. I've not seen much of him apart from a few episodes of UFO, but I agree he did have potential. He reminds me a little of Lewis Collins whom I'd have loved to see in the role.

    Thank you for pointing out the role he played in TSWLM - I remember thinking all the way back then seeing the movie that the guy looked pretty darn handsome.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 7,280
    If I was in charge of the next Bond movie, it's Aidan Turner or Jack Bannon for me. Turner is a Connery-type imo. His screen presence and animal magnetism on Poldark sells me. Jack Bannon is just James Bond to me, in the same way Brosnan is. I think Bannon also has the look and a cockiness attitude about him, and could pull off the one-liners. Call me crazy, but I also want James May as M, Jeremy Clarkson as Q, and Richard Hammond as Tanner. James May gives me Bernard Lee vibes. Clarkson as Q is perfect in every way imo. With Amazon's involvement now, and Amazon also producing May/Clarkson/Hammond shows, maybe this could actually happen. Also, Adele as Moneypenny.

    Thankfully none of us here are in charge of Bond... No matter my feelings for Turner, even on his best day, he gets wiped off the floor by Connery. Connery was a classic film star and his charisma effortlessly fills the big screen. He just was, if that makes any sense.

    Turner has none of what Connery had. Not even a speck. And that goes for many many many actors.

    I've never seen Bannon in anything, but I know that widow's peak would annoy me to no end, lol.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,292
    peter wrote: »
    If I was in charge of the next Bond movie, it's Aidan Turner or Jack Bannon for me. Turner is a Connery-type imo. His screen presence and animal magnetism on Poldark sells me. Jack Bannon is just James Bond to me, in the same way Brosnan is. I think Bannon also has the look and a cockiness attitude about him, and could pull off the one-liners. Call me crazy, but I also want James May as M, Jeremy Clarkson as Q, and Richard Hammond as Tanner. James May gives me Bernard Lee vibes. Clarkson as Q is perfect in every way imo. With Amazon's involvement now, and Amazon also producing May/Clarkson/Hammond shows, maybe this could actually happen. Also, Adele as Moneypenny.

    Thankfully none of us here are in charge of Bond... No matter my feelings for Turner, even on his best day, he gets wiped off the floor by Connery. Connery was a classic film star and his charisma effortlessly fills the big screen. He just was, if that makes any sense.

    Turner has none of what Connery had. Not even a speck. And that goes for many many many actors.

    I've never seen Bannon in anything, but I know that widow's peak would annoy me to no end, lol.

    lol, I once did a quick photoshop where I removed the widow’s peak; it was an improvement.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 7,280
    talos7 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    If I was in charge of the next Bond movie, it's Aidan Turner or Jack Bannon for me. Turner is a Connery-type imo. His screen presence and animal magnetism on Poldark sells me. Jack Bannon is just James Bond to me, in the same way Brosnan is. I think Bannon also has the look and a cockiness attitude about him, and could pull off the one-liners. Call me crazy, but I also want James May as M, Jeremy Clarkson as Q, and Richard Hammond as Tanner. James May gives me Bernard Lee vibes. Clarkson as Q is perfect in every way imo. With Amazon's involvement now, and Amazon also producing May/Clarkson/Hammond shows, maybe this could actually happen. Also, Adele as Moneypenny.

    Thankfully none of us here are in charge of Bond... No matter my feelings for Turner, even on his best day, he gets wiped off the floor by Connery. Connery was a classic film star and his charisma effortlessly fills the big screen. He just was, if that makes any sense.

    Turner has none of what Connery had. Not even a speck. And that goes for many many many actors.

    I've never seen Bannon in anything, but I know that widow's peak would annoy me to no end, lol.

    lol, I once did a quick photoshop where I removed the widow’s peak; it was an improvement.

    I imagine it would, lol!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 7,280
    https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/james-bond-casting-director-rumours-bond-at-70-exclusive-newsupdate/

    We’ve had BB make a statement.

    Now the woman she works closely with casting is making her statement.

    The news that I’ve heard is similar, and in the same ball park (as confidants have seen).

    But others still insist they know who the next 007 will be because of a feeling and/or they will insist that EoN is being lazy. But I think with the HR’s expose on Amazon’s management, and statements by the people who run EoN, I hope now more will settle down and enjoy the 25 films until EoN green-lights an announcement.

    It may be a while folks.

    Seize the day and enjoy it. Bond will return….. later.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Posts: 549
    It’s a thread designed for throwing in suggestions for who we’d like to see as Bond, and I find it fun because it’s just interesting enough to distract me from real-life issues I can’t do anything about and don’t want to obsess over. I’m sure others use it the same way. It doesn’t matter if Barbara Broccoli swears on a bible that no one is being looked at for Bond or not, a lot of people will keep discussing it because it’s fun.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 7,280
    Thanks for that @sandbagger1 … had no idea!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 2,162
    peter wrote: »
    Thanks for that @sandbagger1 … had no idea!

    66171fe7228729da0e5100cfcf617a0c6bf4186b.gif

    Probably time to start looking at early to late 20's actors. Leo Suter could be a favourite by the time screentesting begins
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe Given the circumstances
    edited April 7 Posts: 7,595
    There won't be another bond film until 2027 at the earliest. It takes them 3 years from start to finish to produce bond, and that's when they aren't looking for a new actor and completely reinventing everything.

  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,292
    The next Bond may now be the lead in his high school‘s play.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Posts: 410
    Might still be a virgin.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Posts: 7,280
    @George_Kaplan — post of the day.

    I want to print these five words and frame them.

    Put a wide smile on my face!!
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Posts: 410
    peter wrote: »
    @George_Kaplan — post of the day.

    I want to print these five words and frame them.

    Put a wide smile on my face!!

    Glad to be of service @peter.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 14,200
    Sorry @JeremyBondon but that post was not appropriate for a family forum.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe Given the circumstances
    Posts: 7,595
    There won't be another bond film until 2027 at the earliest. It takes them 3 years from start to finish to produce bond, and that's when they aren't looking for a new actor and completely reinventing everything.

    At least this means we will celebrate the 65th anniversary with a new film (hopefully).
  • Posts: 186
    weboffear wrote: »
    Michael Billington also dated Barbara Broccoli for several years , if that doesn't get you the role nothing will

    But he never got the role! And It was Cubby Broccoli in charge when Billington was a possible Bond. Barbara Broccoli had no casting say.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,292
    The more that I’ve seen him on Picard , Ed Speleers absolutely deserves a look; he’s charismatic, has a strong voice and holds his own next to Patrick Stewart.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Posts: 1,318
    The man has a point, whilst yours truly can only wish. Oh it'd be great fun. Spare me the 'it'll never happens and 'Bond's changing due to modern times'.


    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1757983/Next-James-Bond-1950s-setting-Ian-Fleming-books
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Posts: 1,316
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/apr/14/im-building-a-patchwork-quilt-nicholas-hoult-on-fame-fatherhood-and-playing-draculas-wingman

    Short interview piece with Hoult. No mention of Bond, but from what he's saying, it doesn't sound like he'd be interested.
    Yes, he did go for Batman and Top Gun and Mission Impossible, but sentences like: “For a moment it was a different level of fame – it was a bit scary. I didn’t like it. It just makes you feel like you can’t mooch around.” about his time on Skins, or “I’m not building on a body of work because each work is singular. In my mind, I’m building a patchwork quilt, I suppose. Trying to make each square very different. I’m not building one big duvet.” about the roles he picks, don't sound like he wants to play one of the biggest roles in the world for the next 15 years...
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Posts: 549
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/apr/14/im-building-a-patchwork-quilt-nicholas-hoult-on-fame-fatherhood-and-playing-draculas-wingman

    Short interview piece with Hoult. No mention of Bond, but from what he's saying, it doesn't sound like he'd be interested.
    Yes, he did go for Batman and Top Gun and Mission Impossible, but sentences like: “For a moment it was a different level of fame – it was a bit scary. I didn’t like it. It just makes you feel like you can’t mooch around.” about his time on Skins, or “I’m not building on a body of work because each work is singular. In my mind, I’m building a patchwork quilt, I suppose. Trying to make each square very different. I’m not building one big duvet.” about the roles he picks, don't sound like he wants to play one of the biggest roles in the world for the next 15 years...
    I don’t read it that way at all. He lists not getting Batman and Maverick as major disappointments, and the Skins comment was about his first taste of major fame.

    I think if he was up for Batman he’ll be up for Bond.
  • Posts: 1,887
    I don't think it'll be Hoult. He's a tad too famous, and I'm not personally sure he immediately strikes me as suitable for the part. A fine actor though.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Posts: 1,925
    007HallY wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be Hoult. He's a tad too famous, and I'm not personally sure he immediately strikes me as suitable for the part. A fine actor though.

    He has been good in the films I have seen him in, recently The Menu springs to mind (alongside Ralph Fiennes, great film) and I am going to see Renfield this weekend, but he doesnt strike me as a Bond actor.
  • Posts: 1,887
    Mallory wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be Hoult. He's a tad too famous, and I'm not personally sure he immediately strikes me as suitable for the part. A fine actor though.

    He has been good in the films I have seen him in, recently The Menu springs to mind (alongside Ralph Fiennes, great film) and I am going to see Renfield this weekend, but he doesnt strike me as a Bond actor.

    I like him as an actor. I can even see why he was considered for The Batman seeing the direction they went with that iteration of the character (as much as I think Pattinson was the best choice). I just don't think he's the right choice for Bond, which is fine and nothing against him.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Posts: 1,925
    The problem I am having with all the potential Bond actors at the minute is I am imaging their Bond as they are now, not as the finished, on screen version. DC for example looked significantly different in CR when compared to the press announcement (vastly better physique, tanned and groomed better).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,292
    Nicholas Hoult is being mentioned as a potential star of Clint Eastwood's next, possibly final film, "Juror No. 2". I actually think that he has the perfect level of fame and accomplishment to be the next Bond; he's well known but not a mega star. The fact that he has built a solid career of very diverse roles would insure that he could successfully take on an iconic franchise while continuing to appear in other films, either as a lead or in a supporting role.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/clint-eastwood-direct-juror-no-2-nicholas-hoult-toni-collette-1235353258/
  • Posts: 448
    Never send a boy to do a man's job.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,292
    Hoult has continuously grown into his looks and matured as an actor; he would be 35ish when Bond 26 begins shooting. Over a 10 to 15 year run, a youthful appearance will be beneficial. I think he can pull off the physicality and would bring a light charm back to the role.

    oH9Gotz.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.