Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Would work for me.
    I was actually surprised at how well he was able to play a 31 year old in Aftersun (he's I believe 26/27 now and was probably 25 during filming). There was definitely a world weariness to him, albeit mixed with what is essentially a rather immature character, in that film. I can see him being a possibility, weird as it is.
    Isn't the Bond casting process a bit like a Conclave? If you walk in as a pope, you walk out as a cardinal.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Mescal's Irish. Would BB drop the 'he should be British' stipulation for the right candidate? Cubby had no such qualms, obvs!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

I love Ana, but God I hope not. No offence intended to Mescal, but he doesn't strike me as Bondian at all. He seems very ordinary
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Venutius wrote: »
    Mescal's Irish. Would BB drop the 'he should be British' stipulation for the right candidate? Cubby had no such qualms, obvs!
    I don’t see why not, Aidan Turner's name has been bandied about for the part without anyone suggesting (as far as I can remember) that it would be a problem. Most Irish actors can pull off a British accent very well.

I’ve not actually seen him in anything though, so I have no thoughts on his suitability one way or the other.

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Just started watching SAS:Rogue Heroes and I’d be a-ok with Connor Swindells as Bond. Maybe he doesn’t have the resume but he sure looks and sounds the part.
    (And while we’re at it, get Jack O‘Connell in the franchise, too. I don’t have him as Bond, but he’s such a presence, he could play any number of other roles)
    edited April 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Yes, Aidan Turner can do an excellent British accent, to the extent that you'd never know he wasn't British. I'd hope that the 'British' criteria is a preference rather than an essential and that it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for whoever the right candidate turns out to be - after all, BB only said that he 'should' be British, not 'must' be! ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Also in the same interview Chris Evans basically mentions ATJ as his candidate for Bond. They did work together on Age Of Ultron. I was actually more intrigued by the likes and responses to his quote on Twitter. Whether those meeting rumours were true or not, I do think it seems ATJ is generally quite a popular choice with a lot of people. If you wanna see the video where Ana and Chris briefly discuss Bond, the links in the tweet.

Just started watching SAS:Rogue Heroes and I’d be a-ok with Connor Swindells as Bond. Maybe he doesn’t have the resume but he sure looks and sounds the part.
    (And while we’re at it, get Jack O‘Connell in the franchise, too. I don’t have him as Bond, but he’s such a presence, he could play any number of other roles)

I'm actually pretty sold on O'Connell as a potential Bond (although absolutely, he could play any number of roles in a future Bond film including a villain). Not so sold on Swindells.
    talos7 wrote: »
    And here we are, two camps yet again with vastly differing opinions regarding Bond's preferred physique. Imo it's so much cooler for Bond not to be particularly vain/ sporty, rather more aloof and still kick ass where he wants, when he wants. Bond in a way is super human after all (eff you NTTD, you're not canon).

Dalts looks perf.

Dalton-Blue-Suit-Trousers.jpg

I have to respectfully disagree; I love Dalton’s Bond , but he’s too thin , particularly for contemporary audiences.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Michael Billington was mentioned above; I have to be candid I had never heard his name mentioned as a potential Bond., but after looking him up I have to say he had a great look, very intense. Physically he would have been that generation’ Craig.

ruqn2cS.jpg
    ucZI5zp.jpg
    aPCKEmw.jpg

According to his obituary on the MI6HQ website, he was tested more times than any other actor. The first time for LALD and the last time for FYEO. He was said to be Cubby's number 2 choice if Roger pulled out. Of course, the only role he ended up playing was as Anya's lover in TSWLM. I've not seen much of him apart from a few episodes of UFO, but I agree he did have potential. He reminds me a little of Lewis Collins whom I'd have loved to see in the role.

Thank you for pointing out the role he played in TSWLM - I remember thinking all the way back then seeing the movie that the guy looked pretty darn handsome.

Ahhh that guy! Yes, he was the spitting image of Lazenby. Yes, he definitely had the look for Bond. Never seen him act though, other than that one scene in TSWLM.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 303
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Okay, I'v watched some of the interviews of those actors heavily talked for the Bond role, and to be honest none of them sounds like Bond.

Here's my question, is it worth considering the voices for Bond?

Richard Madden, Aaron Taylor Johnson, James Norton and etc. Why they all sounds like the same? They all sounds like 25 years old guy to me, they're all at some point have high pitched and thin voices, which was too youthful sounding for Bond.

Like "Heh, yeah, dez is me" kind of thing 😅

They may have the looks, but their voices kinda failed me and turned me off.

When I've heard their voices, it's hard to imagine them saying those words that Bond usually says.

For me, the voice of the next Bond actor should be deep (in a masculine way).

All of the Bond actors (with an exception of Brosnan) nailed that in their voices, Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Craig (deep, large voices, there's the sophistication, but masculine, hard and had some sort of Professionalism).

Well, Brosnan's voice comes off to me as very soft and boyish (similar to Cavill), which Bond shouldn't sound like.

I don't know who in the modern actors have those voices.

Yes, I’ve been asking this for years.

I'm not a fan of Henry Cavill's acting but he has a nice voice for Bond. Natural fit for the character. I think it's masculine enough.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson natural voice sounds a bit like David Beckham's. Not exactly Bond sounding. However, Taylor-Johnson has played John Lennon and Americans so my guess is he would modify his voice to play Bond.
    bondywondy wrote: »
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Okay, I'v watched some of the interviews of those actors heavily talked for the Bond role, and to be honest none of them sounds like Bond.

Here's my question, is it worth considering the voices for Bond?

Richard Madden, Aaron Taylor Johnson, James Norton and etc. Why they all sounds like the same? They all sounds like 25 years old guy to me, they're all at some point have high pitched and thin voices, which was too youthful sounding for Bond.

Like "Heh, yeah, dez is me" kind of thing 😅

They may have the looks, but their voices kinda failed me and turned me off.

When I've heard their voices, it's hard to imagine them saying those words that Bond usually says.

For me, the voice of the next Bond actor should be deep (in a masculine way).

All of the Bond actors (with an exception of Brosnan) nailed that in their voices, Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Craig (deep, large voices, there's the sophistication, but masculine, hard and had some sort of Professionalism).

Well, Brosnan's voice comes off to me as very soft and boyish (similar to Cavill), which Bond shouldn't sound like.

I don't know who in the modern actors have those voices.

Yes, I’ve been asking this for years.

I'm not a fan of Henry Cavill's acting but he has a nice voice for Bond. Natural fit for the character. I think it's masculine enough.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson natural voice sounds a bit like David Beckham's. Not exactly Bond sounding. However, Taylor-Johnson has played John Lennon and Americans so my guess is he would modify his voice to play Bond.

Maybe the voice is now like hair was back in Connery's days, as I said before. What the Bond actor's voice will sound as Bond is what matters.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I can’t understand how some dismiss the importance of a strong voice ; it’s such an obvious quality for the character.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I can’t understand how some dismiss the importance of a strong voice ; it’s such an obvious quality for the character.

It really is a huge part of the characters overall screen presence. Having a deep strong voice underpins the masculinity and experience of Bond.

My girlfriend's aunt met Daniel Craig in London a few years back. She always tells people "his eyes were unbelievably blue and his voice was so deep"
    Voice is important, but I do think for many actors it’s more malleable than some realise. Many actors with some of the most distinctive/commanding voices in their film roles didn’t necessarily have overly deep ones (Marlon Brando is a good example of that: his voice in real life was a lot higher pitched/nasal than if you’d only seen his films).

While I love Connery and Craig’s deep voices, it’s their delivery that makes their Bond performances. I’d much rather an actor whose voice was higher pitched than those, but who was able to put the right expression into their vocals, rather than an actor with a deep but monotonous voice.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Connery and Craig have the two classic Bond voices, for me, so whoever follows Dan is up against it from the start. ATJ seems to be a better actor than many of the suggested candidates, but his natural voice would be a big obstacle for me too. However, given the chameleon qualities we've all noted that he's got, I'm sure he could modify it to suit the role.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Voice is important, but I do think for many actors it’s more malleable than some realise. Many actors with some of the most distinctive/commanding voices in their film roles didn’t necessarily have overly deep ones (Marlon Brando is a good example of that: his voice in real life was a lot higher pitched/nasal than if you’d only seen his films).

While I love Connery and Craig’s deep voices, it’s their delivery that makes their Bond performances. I’d much rather an actor whose voice was higher pitched than those, but who was able to put the right expression into their vocals, rather than an actor with a deep but monotonous voice.

When you learn acting, a lot of time is spend on modulating your voice. Theoretically, you should have a different voice for every character your play. David Suchet's natural is deep and manly. When he plays Poirot, he sounds very different (I believe @Dragonpol found this clip in another thread):

• I know he's a bit young, but I'm kind of surprised Jonah Hauer-King hasn't been mentioned more. Will being in The Little Mermaid completely kill his chances though? Probably. Though they just released some posters for it, and it doesn't look as completely terrible as I thought it would...

1682670853_02.jpg
    No
    What sold me on Craig was his voice. I used to hear that opening speech of his in Layer Cake, over and over again. So I do understand the voice argument. I’d ad brows to that discussion, but Dan-the-man had none ;)
    I know he's a bit young, but I'm kind of surprised Jonah Hauer-King hasn't been mentioned more. Will being in The Little Mermaid completely kill his chances though? Probably. Though they just released some posters for it, and it doesn't look as completely terrible as I thought it would...

1682670853_02.jpg

I don't know how he is as an actor, but given that masculine roles in Disney movies tend to be rather peripheral, I don't think it would be an obstacle.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Univex wrote: »
    What sold me on Craig was his voice. I used to hear that opening speech of his in Layer Cake, over and over again. So I do understand the voice argument. I’d ad brows to that discussion, but Dan-the-man had none ;)

That was the perils of being the blond Bond. ;)
    Ludovico wrote: »

When you learn acting, a lot of time is spend on modulating your voice. Theoretically, you should have a different voice for every character your play. David Suchet's natural is deep and manly. When he plays Poirot, he sounds very different (I believe @Dragonpol found this clip in another thread):

Yes, it’s true that actors often spend a lot of time on their character’s voices (Daniel Day-Lewis once said it was the first thing he worked out when devising his take on a character, and I suspect it’s the case with many great actors). Suchet is a wonderful actor and obviously spent much time perfecting that Poirot voice which is so unlike his own.

Again, I really don’t think it’s a case of an actor having a naturally deep voice but an expressive one. And one which works for their take on Bond.

I do wonder what some on here think of Toby Stephen’s take on Fleming’s Bond in the various BBC Radio 4 adaptations (if anyone here has listened to then)? Not saying that performance is right for a portrayal of the cinematic Bond, but to me it captures what is essentially the essence of the novel Bond, and Stephens isn’t an actor with a particularity deep voice. I wonder if it can conceivably be the same with a film portrayal.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Ah, but that is far more manageable; if you look at when he looks his best, his brows have been given some attention.

WQEA48T.jpg
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited April 2023 Posts: 564
    I know he's a bit young, but I'm kind of surprised Jonah Hauer-King hasn't been mentioned more. Will being in The Little Mermaid completely kill his chances though? Probably. Though they just released some posters for it, and it doesn't look as completely terrible as I thought it would...

1682670853_02.jpg

At the rate things are going, younger probably is the way to go when it comes to speculation. It's looking more and more likely Bond #7 will have been born in the 90s rather than the 80s.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

I do wonder what some on here think of Toby Stephen’s take on Fleming’s Bond in the various BBC Radio 4 adaptations (if anyone here has listened to then)? Not saying that performance is right for a portrayal of the cinematic Bond, but to me it captures what is essentially the essence of the novel Bond, and Stephens isn’t an actor with a particularity deep voice. I wonder if it can conceivably be the same with a film portrayal.
    I enjoy Stephens’ radio Bond. He does go a bit over the top, but that’s sometimes preferable for radio, and I think it works. He does have a good voice imo, and of course he has a background in theatre which focuses on voice training I think.

I enjoy Stephens’ radio Bond. He does go a bit over the top, but that’s sometimes preferable for radio, and I think it works. He does have a good voice imo, and of course he has a background in theatre which focuses on voice training I think.

Yes, the performance can veer slightly towards being hammy but in a way that’s consistent for the tone of the show (so essentially what you said). Like I said though I thought it was otherwise a solid interpretation of the Fleming Bond, and it’s not as though his voice is overly deep. It’s certainly expressive though.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 6,677

Ah, but that is far more manageable; if you look at when he looks his best, his brows have been given some attention.

WQEA48T.jpg

That’s true. Besides, he always looked his best in profile, specially from his right side, pouting ;)

cr4-cl-jkt-2.jpg?ssl=1