Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2022 Posts: 16,328
    vzok wrote: »
    Isn't the cue when Bond gets a phone call at the party different on this CD than the movie?

The film version used the opening of Carver and Paris.
    Having a great time with the new TND release. Though not as sophisticated as Arnold's later entries, I love driving to this, having the James Bond theme peppered throughout.
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Got the LLL release of TND in a couple of days ago and been listening through it. Very much happy with it, except I swear that the Oxford cue is still missing. Or did I just miss it?
    Since the track wasn't recorded for the film, they would have had to license it separately to include it in the album.

Interesting, especially as there's no mention of a recording in the TND end credits, IIRC.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm surprised they didn't throw Moby's Bond Theme rendition on the CDs.
    Incidentally, the same happened with DAD, which didn't include Bond vs. Oakenfold. I guess they didn't bother since these tracks were not part of the films themselves.

At least their consistent with that, I suppose. I wonder, too, if it might have been too expensive to license/royalty out in both instances. Particularly with TND having both the Crow and lang songs all ready on the album. DAD's expanded release, of course, didn't have the Madonna song, either, and I'd assume for precisely that reason.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    TND soundtrack shipped on the 7th. Reckon I'll get it the day before Christmas!
    The last minute of "Carver gets it" isn't in the movie, should be carvers death scene with the sea drill
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Anything associated with TND makes me happy. I'm really loving this recent score release. The sound quality is really good.
    Here's the 'Cunning Linguist' cue for completists: https://easyupload.io/t4c9my

I added some reverb at the end for a better listening experience :>

In other news, I ordered the TND soundtrack track on 2nd December and it still says 'awaiting fulfilment' on the LaLaLand Records website, whatever that means. I doubt I'll get it before Christmas as I'm based in the UK :(
    It's fascinating how I can instantly recognize the cues that have not been released before. It show just how ingrained in to this music one can be. I'm sure there a lot of us who could play "Name That Tune" with all the incidental music from all 25 films.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I've been listening to this on repeat. It's marvelous.
    I've been listening to this on repeat. It's marvelous.

Same here. I'm really loving it. It's almost like a new Bond score because of its revamped quality.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I love the slow intro to Surrender's alt take. I wish there was a full version in that style.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,282
    I love the slow intro to Surrender's alt take. I wish there was a full version in that style.

True, the slow intro really stands out. For a moment, I thought it wouldn't go bombastic, as I was really on board with that style. It would have been cool for it to be slow, since a bombastic one was always going to exist.
  • tqbtqb
    Such a good score
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 78
    Does anyone happen to have a WAV or FLAC of the Main Titles version of 'Tomorrow Never Dies' by Sheryl Crow? The LLL CD has the full length version, but the one used in the opening titles is a different, truncated arrangement. It clocks in around the 3 minute 5 seconds mark. Thanks in advance!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I hope someone can help with that. Out of interest, did the LLL version of the TWINE score have the version of the song from the credits? There's an added strings flourish in that, isn't there?
    For Your Eyes Only - Greek source music #1 - From the De Wolfe music library:

The second piece of source music is called Aliti M'Ipes Mia Vradia. I'm not sure it was sourced from De Wolfe (I couldn't find it on their library). It seems more likely to me that it was directly performed and recorded while filming the scene.

Thanks to Jameson281 over at the Film Score Monthly forums for this info.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Excellent find @mattjoes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nice work. I must admit I can't think where it comes in the film though; when Bond and Melina are out shopping maybe?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Got my TND and just listening through: is the Printing Press Fight definitely the same one from the film? It seems different to me.
    Interesting how the differences on Backseat Driver aren't exclusive to the Bond theme bebop section at the end.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 1,282
    mtm wrote: »
    Got my TND and just listening through: is the Printing Press Fight definitely the same one from the film? It seems different to me.
    Interesting how the differences on Backseat Driver aren't exclusive to the Bond theme bebop section at the end.

Yeah. The score somewhat feels like a new one, because of how slightly different the tracks are. I'm really loving this release.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is a lot of fun.
    I've just listened to the original Backseat Pilot: I can see why they changed it- he's trying a bit too hard to pastiche 60s Barry and it feels a bit Incredibles-y.

Those source music cues feel much more dated than the score! But that's fine, they should have been fashionable.
    mtm wrote: »
    It is a lot of fun.
    I've just listened to the original Backseat Pilot: I can see why they changed it- he's trying a bit too hard to pastiche 60s Barry and it feels a bit Incredibles-y.

Yeah, the original Backseat Pilot sounds that way. But like you said, it's a lot of fun. It really is!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, it wasn't right and it's good they changed it, but it's still great to hear it and it is fun. I'm sure someone will pair it with the film on YouTube at some point!
    Must admit I couldn't spot the difference with Company Car on disc 2, I presume that's the original album version? I should probably read the notes! :)
  • mtm wrote: »
    Nice work. I must admit I can't think where it comes in the film though; when Bond and Melina are out shopping maybe?

Yup - the fast bit is when they are shopping and buy some food
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I can’t find the right thread for it, but a debunking of the old story that Saltzman didn’t want McCartney to sing LALD:
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/dec/18/live-and-let-die-james-bond-theme-paul-mccartney
    Heading off in a different direction, Peter Hunt once told me that John Barry did a version of the James Bond theme for OHMSS but he rejected it because it didn't have the raw power of the original version. That's why he used the Dr. No version in the film. So................there is an unused version of the Bond theme out there..........somewhere.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is that track not on the CD?
  • BondBarry007BondBarry007 London UK
    Thank you La La Land Records The Tomorrow Never Dies CD arrived in the post today in the UK, 22nd December, I have been so looking forward to this & cannot wait to play this expanded score.
    Please continue the fantastic work on the James Bond Expanded scores let’s hope & pray we see quite a few more in 2023
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    QBranch wrote: »
    TND soundtrack shipped on the 7th. Reckon I'll get it the day before Christmas!
    Actually, the day before Christmas is a Saturday, therefore I should've said Christmas Eve Eve!

52580177412_a20ccd4a6a_o.png

Cheers La La Land Records and @mattjoes! 🤙
    delfloria wrote: »
    Heading off in a different direction, Peter Hunt once told me that John Barry did a version of the James Bond theme for OHMSS but he rejected it because it didn't have the raw power of the original version. That's why he used the Dr. No version in the film. So................there is an unused version of the Bond theme out there..........somewhere.

Oh that's interesting, here's a post from Lukas Kendall
    I have the following additional tracks that I was not able to include on the 2003 CD. I am sorry to torture people...I cannot share them...but because people are speculating:

Xmas Trees - a version sung solely by the kids - 3:36 [the CIA asked to use this at Gitmo]

2M1 We Have All the Time in the World jazz combo - film version - 2:52

2M2 Try - film version 3:13

4M2 guitar source 2:50

The Swiss alps skating source music, I don't have the slate # handy, 2:54 [the A section is the oompah music, the B section is the prettier melody]

and three score cues:
    13M1 (score, soft suspense) 1:02
    13M2 (score, orchestral version of We have All The Time in the World) 3:46
    16M3 (soft instrumental of We Have All the Time in the World, flute melody) 0:39

There was a missing roll, I was told, that had sustained water damage. I believe it includes the film version of Escape From Piz Gloria, the other appearance of the action music in the Swiss town chase (Bond attacked in a phone booth)...and I don't know what else. These would have to be taken from the film stem if a 2CD set is ever produced.

Sorry for the frustration—
    Lukas