Lost but now found! The Unreleased Bond Music Thread!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    You're all welcome!

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Edit: I almost daren't ask but if you could somehow find a way to pull another one like this off, say... Moonraker... I'd be most grateful. Not that I'm not grateful now. ;-)
    I'd rather slash my wrists.

Okay, no, that's not true, but I couldn't resist that joke!

I'm not sure about working on another complete score at the moment. But speaking of Moonraker, I do have a desire to do the Gondola Chase music. Back in 2010 or 2011, gkgyver posted his recreation of it over at the CBn forums, and eventually inspired me to work on this kind of thing myself. I'd like to revisit that track and improve it. But it's not a promise.

Also, I have a request, from a while back, for a track, that I want to honor now that GF is done. I've decided that's the only request I'll formally accept, because doing this takes time, so I must work on what really tickles my fancy at the moment.

---

I'm wondering if there are any Goldfinger tracks that you fellas like best?

Personally, I enjoy the beginning of Car Crash, the percussion of Teasing Mei-Lei, the first 35 seconds of Auric Stud and the GF instrumental in Bond and Pussy.

I love all the music but especially that.

I read you! :-)

And yes, I can imagine this takes loads of your time. Please understand, I am most grateful. I assembled your suggested playlist a few hours ago and have since been listening to the score over and over again. Once again, a job superbly done, @mattjoes.

I love all the tracks you've added for our completion. The one that I would call my favourite? 'Car Crash', hands-down.

I know what music will be keeping me company in the car tomorrow!
    It makes such a difference to the listening experience to have all the tracks of a soundtrack. Goldfinger will get several listens this week.
    Mattjoes, Just listened to the GF tracks. Astonishing to think these tracks did not survive. Your reconstruct of them was fantastic and brough back instant memories of each and every scene. Hats off to you on this excellent work.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Mattjoes, Just listened to the GF tracks. Astonishing to think these tracks did not survive. Your reconstruct of them was fantastic and brough back instant memories of each and every scene. Hats off to you on this excellent work.
    Thank you, I'm happy you enjoyed it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I love the GF track Into Miami so much. It is as if Barry is announcing the arrival of the swinging '60s.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,002
    @mattjoes
    Absolutely stellar work. ‘Car Crash’ is my favorite as well.
    One of my favorite moments in the movie is when Oddjob smiles at his reflection, just before opening the door of the DB5. That short brass cue lends it such an unnerving and ominous feel.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    @mattjoes
    Absolutely stellar work. ‘Car Crash’ is my favorite as well.
    One of my favorite moments in the movie is when Oddjob smiles at his reflection, just before opening the door of the DB5. That short brass cue lends it such an unnerving and ominous feel.

Great observation, @R1s1ngs0n. Those brass stabs work so well with the creepy reveal of the mirror.
    Another vote for Car Crash here. Glad to hear also the new sound at the start of Auric's Stud. It sounds spot on with John Barry's instrumentation. I'm keeping your previous version as a bonus track, as I love the slightly funkier sound.
    @mattjoes
    I finally assembled a complete playlist and have been running it through. its outstanding! the mastering and mix is very authentic - it really could have been recorded at the time, doesn't give off a sense of virtual instruments at all. I guess the software must have come along way but crucially having the skill and knowing all the buttons to press in the first place! then there's the studying of Barry himself, transcribing and reverse engineering this stuff must be no mean feat.

With the new stuff, now listening to it as an album, I've always liked Bond & Jill... the slow sax and the cheeky honks at the end.
    Like most, Car Crash is a standout. First time I heard this piece, the opening really does sound like a throwback to some of the train cues in FRWL - before it turns to a memorable and off-kilter moment with Oddjob. Its pieces like that and the underlying score that helped made him so sadistic.
    Another nice piece is Auric Stud, a jaunty opening that sets the location that Barry does so well then segways into a suitably grandiose version on the main title.
    grunther wrote: »
    the mastering and mix is very authentic - it really could have been recorded at the time, doesn't give off a sense of virtual instruments at all. I guess the software must have come along way but crucially having the skill and knowing all the buttons to press in the first place!
    @grunther, I'm happy to read this, as the realism and mixing are things I wondered about. The mixing was the hardest, most time-consuming part. When you first hear a track with all the instruments in place, before the mixing itself takes place, it's very exciting, and you can fool around with volume, panning, etc. But then you have to start making mixing choices that will be set in stone. That's where I sweat a lot and take a lot of time. I hope to speed it up in the future.

Like most, Car Crash is a standout. First time I heard this piece, the opening really does sound like a throwback to some of the train cues in FRWL - before it turns to a memorable and off-kilter moment with Oddjob. Its pieces like that and the underlying score that helped made him so sadistic.
    Seems like Car Crash is especially well-liked. Four mentions already, not counting myself.

Another nice piece is Auric Stud, a jaunty opening that sets the location that Barry does so well then segways into a suitably grandiose version on the main title.
    Of all the music, the banjo solo was probably the most fun to work on. I also love that arrangement of Goldfinger, though I prefer it with violas and celli as in track 11 (Bond and Pussy), rather than with english horn.
    @mattjoes
    Just out of curiosity, which type font did you use for the digital booklet (pages 3 and 4 for example)? Thanks in advance!
    @mattjoes
    Just out of curiosity, which type font did you use for the digital booklet (pages 3 and 4 for example)? Thanks in advance!

@DarthDimi, the font is Clobber Grotesk Light.
    Thank you, @mattjoes.
    I'm late to the party here, but @mattjoes you've done it again! I cannot thank you enough for giving us the complete Goldfinger listening experience =D>

The musical skill it takes to listen to all the instrumentation, ascertain the key and octave and then to transcribe and re-orchestrate it is sizeable. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

One thing I now appreciate skipping through every track on the soundtrack is that pretty much every cue begins in the key of F/F minor, which definitely adds to the feeling of cohesion in the score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not on the same level at all as mattjoes' amazing work, but for a bit of fun here's a VHS which has fallen through from another dimension where Cubby played it safe and just kept calling Shirley :)

mtm wrote: »
    Not on the same level at all as mattjoes' amazing work, but for a bit of fun here's a VHS which has fallen through from another dimension where Cubby played it safe and just kept calling Shirley :)

As much as I love Shirley, her singing here feels "wrong".
    I'm late to the party here, but @mattjoes you've done it again! I cannot thank you enough for giving us the complete Goldfinger listening experience =D>

The musical skill it takes to listen to all the instrumentation, ascertain the key and octave and then to transcribe and re-orchestrate it is sizeable. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

One thing I now appreciate skipping through every track on the soundtrack is that pretty much every cue begins in the key of F/F minor, which definitely adds to the feeling of cohesion in the score.

Glad you enjoyed it, @Bond_Scores. And yes, Barry sure loved those F keys. He even talked about it in an interview.
  • chrisesqetcchrisesqetc London

As much as I love Shirley, her singing here feels "wrong".

Funnily enough I actually think Shirley really elevates this song with her vocals - particularly at the chorus. She recorded a whole load of Bond covers. As you can hear for yourself below, the backing music was hideous and was enough for her to pull the album itself.

Would love to know who put this Octopussy version together and whether they could take any of the other Shirley covers from her cancelled album and put over the film titles with the original music.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I made it! :) I do have one more I've been meaning to upload..

Whilst I've never been the biggest Shirley fan, I must admit that, to me, having her on this one makes it feel a touch more Bondy than the original. She never likes to sing on the beat however, so I'm not sure I did a great job of matching her to the backing track! :)
    I made it! :) I do have one more I've been meaning to upload..

Whilst I've never been the biggest Shirley fan, I must admit that, to me, having her on this one makes it feel a touch more Bondy than the original. She never likes to sing on the beat however, so I'm not sure I did a great job of matching her to the backing track! :)

Awesome! Which one are you planning to upload?

I think you did a great job at matching it the vocals up with the music and was v curious how you did it. It's definitely more Bondian and would be very keen to hear any more in the future!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think I had to speed the backing up and pop it up by a semitone to suit Ms Bassey's vocals (she might be very slightly slowed down to meet the music too).
    I think I had to speed the backing up and pop it up by a semitone to suit Ms Bassey's vocals (she might be very slightly slowed down to meet the music too).

Nice. Great work. Very much looking forward to the next upload!
  • morcarvicmorcarvic france
    hello to everyone on this forum ive followed the site and bond music discussions for years and this is my first post.I hope its a case of better late to the party than never.belatedly congrats and admiration to mattjoes for your efforts on goldfinger also to murdoch and vzok and the other contributors down the years.
    by the way recently had a mishap and ive lost my file for pussfellers bar posted long ago by vzok from memory ,could you perhaps kindly reupload ?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited May 2022 Posts: 3,382
    morcarvic wrote: »
    hello to everyone on this forum ive followed the site and bond music discussions for years and this is my first post.I hope its a case of better late to the party than never.belatedly congrats and admiration to mattjoes for your efforts on goldfinger also to murdoch and vzok and the other contributors down the years.
    by the way recently had a mishap and ive lost my file for pussfellers bar posted long ago by vzok from memory ,could you perhaps kindly reupload ?

Welcome to Mi6Community, @morcarvic .
    :) I hope you'll enjoy yourself here.
    Has anyone heard anything from Lalaland records? Wasn't they planning some more releases for 2020?
  • morcarvicmorcarvic france
    its only my suspicion kananga but perhaps closer to october 5th to reflect dr.no release date in 1962 also previous laland bond releases have released in november if i remember correctly.
    Fingers crossed that we get something new this year from them. I did contact them a few months back and got no reply. :/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, the Moonraker score was my main hope for the anniversary year.
    I've just been going through the soundtrack to The Living Daylights and there's still quite a bit of music missing from the expanded release. I'll update this thread with the detail later.

I've managed to make one of the missing cues, as it borrows from a couple of others on the soundtrack. I've titled it 'Bond The Stowaway'. It's from the sequence when Bond hides on board the Jeep with all the opium heading to the Airbase. Enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lj6x3u2oeuyu4tq/Bond+The+Stowaway.mp3/file
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I've just been going through the soundtrack to The Living Daylights and there's still quite a bit of music missing from the expanded release. I'll update this thread with the detail later.

I've managed to make one of the missing cues, as it borrows from a couple of others on the soundtrack. I've titled it 'Bond The Stowaway'. It's from the sequence when Bond hides on board the Jeep with all the opium heading to the Airbase. Enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lj6x3u2oeuyu4tq/Bond+The+Stowaway.mp3/file

Great! @Bond_Scores I think the track is on the expanded TLD score as Bond Sets The Bomb.