Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    @Ludovico that's very true mate, but I meant it in the sense that Madden won't be as tied to Marvel projects or his character in Eternals, as the film didn't do well at the box office. So he won't be linked to another character like Cavill with Superman.
    The poor box office is no reflection on Madden

It's my fault I should have been clearer in what I meant
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought they were (strangely) were making an Eternals sequel, weren't they?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    I thought they were (strangely) were making an Eternals sequel, weren't they?

I believe so.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a38120529/eternals-2-release-date/
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    When you have momentum one misfire doesn't kill a franchise (see SPECTRE).
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,511
    Benny wrote: »

That is an interesting article. I always find it funny on how height is mentioned depending on the actor.

They mention Tom Cruise's height but not Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy or Richard Madden's height, yet they're all only an inch taller than him and all are shorter than Craig, who has often been deemed too short to be Bond.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

I think this is the point where I need to check out until a name is actually attached because people will literally just say whoever.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited October 2022 Posts: 722
    Jordo007 wrote: »

That is an interesting article. I always find it funny on how height is mentioned depending on the actor.

They mention Tom Cruise's height but not Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy or Richard Madden's height, yet they're all only an inch taller than him and all are shorter than Craig, who has often been deemed too short to be Bond.

I believe it's an article that has been updated with new names several times over the years, and by different writers, which is why it seems contradictory. I know I've read some of those for-and-against before a few years ago. They just keep dusting it off and adding new candidates to it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,925
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I think this is the point where I need to check out until a name is actually attached because people will literally just say whoever.
    Looking at those first three photos in the GQ piece, it looks like that includes the media. The centre and right photos are either in there just as a wind-up or, yes, it's got to the point where any name will do as a suggestion, no matter how glaringly implausible. Whoever that bloke is in the middle photo, I mean, come on...sighs, shakes head wearily...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Venutius wrote: »
    Looking at those first three photos in the GQ piece, it looks like that includes the media. The centre and right photos are either in there just as a wind-up or, yes, it's got to the point where any name will do as a suggestion, no matter how glaringly inappropriate.

There is some headline bait in those selections, for sure. But yeah, people will try to put an argument together for basically anyone.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,539
    talos7 wrote: »
    Well if there is someone who they are particularly keen on , or become keen on, they should not drag their feet; Marvel and DC are on the hunt as well.

Given the underwhelming box office of Eternals, I think Richard Madden will still be considered for Bond

Yes. I think he's still in the picture. It's no guarantee of course, but he's one of the few candidates who has done something resembling Bond a bit, with Bodyguard.

Bodyguard got me excited about him as Bond.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Well if there is someone who they are particularly keen on , or become keen on, they should not drag their feet; Marvel and DC are on the hunt as well.

Given the underwhelming box office of Eternals, I think Richard Madden will still be considered for Bond

Yes. I think he's still in the picture. It's no guarantee of course, but he's one of the few candidates who has done something resembling Bond a bit, with Bodyguard.

Yes. He was very convincing in it with the suit and all, that one can't help, but picture him as Bond.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 1,215
    Sope Dirisu on Bond
    mtm wrote: »
    Ah man, no need to poke the wasp's nest. Just let it lie.

"wasp" -- You can tell the note-author's skin color, genealogical origin and religion without explicit indicators ? Wait ! You're the next person who ought to portray Sherlock Holmes !
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Sope Dirisu on Bond

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 784
    I got Bond vibes from Madden in The Rocket Man when he told Elton that he didn’t care if he made music or not. He needs his Rob Stark curls for bond. His head/face looks a bit too small in the bodyguard.

The Eternals was bound to fail already at the concept stage.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Eternals cannot be used against Madden, I think. Or any of the actors.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

That's a good and hilarious point. I can't believe it's getting a sequel.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Looking at those first three photos in the GQ piece, it looks like that includes the media. The centre and right photos are either in there just as a wind-up or, yes, it's got to the point where any name will do as a suggestion, no matter how glaringly implausible. Whoever that bloke is in the middle photo, I mean, come on...sighs, shakes head wearily...

It's the latest in the long and proud tradition of throwing a Bond rumour after any British actor who was good in anything (or their agents just pushing that narrative). I've heard good things about Industry; the bloke seems to be a fine actor. That doesn't mean he's Bond. Many journalists seem to fail to understand it's an actual role playing a character and not a mid-career achievement award. "He's British and had a few decent showings between 20 and 33. He's James Bond now."
  • QsCatQsCat London

That list seemed to be endless! I wouldn’t want any of those actors for Bond. The only one who I could see credibly playing Bond is Fassbender, and he’s not young enough. Makes you appreciate the past Bonds even more, when looking at this bunch of ‘potential’ Bond’s.

• QsCatQsCat London

I loved Bodyguard but I’d rather not have another dour looking Bond. He’s too petite too

Is Eternals still in anyone's memory?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    QsCat wrote: »

I loved Bodyguard but I’d rather not have another dour looking Bond. He’s too petite too

This…
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,925
    It's the latest in the long and proud tradition of throwing a Bond rumour after any British actor who was good in anything (or their agents just pushing that narrative)...He's British and had a few decent showings between 20 and 33. He's James Bond now."
    Yes, true. Most of the time I just laugh when someone inappropriate gets mentioned as a potential Bond, but now and again someone's so completely and utterly wrong it just makes you tired, man!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sope Disiru is quickly becoming my top candidate
    He’s like a younger Idris Elba.
    I think he could be a very good Bond. A long time to wait coming up. I’m sure there will be lots to discuss during that time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think he could be a very good Bond. A long time to wait coming up. I’m sure there will be lots to discuss during that time.

Agreed. I think most of my preferred choices of the last few years are clearly not getting it, due to their age, so right now, I'd be all for the likes of Sope or even George MacKay.

Sope is a very talented actor no doubt about it
  • I feel very smug that I was the first to mention Sope Disiru back in January 2018. It is also quite stark reading my post from back then as you can really see the inroads that diverse actors have made since 2017/18. I like to think we live in a more inclusive society and the sheer amount of talent from more diverse communities has really had a light shone on it over the last 5 years. It's been amazing! I hope it continues. I'm not saying the next James Bond *has* to be played by an actor of a different ethnicity, but it's terrific that all actors will be considered. That's all.......

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/10108/who-should-could-be-a-bond-actor/p339
    The recent news story that Barbara Broccoli would cast a black actor to play James Bond got me thinking. I know the topic has been spoken about to death and I'm not interested in going over it again, mainly as you'll likely never be able to change the either side's mind.

The thing that got me thinking was that there aren't a ton of British black actors who immediately come to mind for a leading role in any franchise. There are numerous black actors from the USA who can play leading roles.

However, in the UK we have a ton of white Oxbridge folk populating our films and TV. Oft-mentioned Bond candidates, Tom Hiddleston and James Norton are just two examples of this. Why hasn't the industry in Britain been more inclusive?

If there is a black role for a black actor, it tends to be the same people mentioned for it. Surely there is are talented black actors or actresses just desperate for the same opportunity that is constantly afforded to folk like James Norton?

I did some digging on the net and found an actor who looks very appropriate for the Bond role called Sope Dirisu. Now, I haven't seen him in anything but he's played Coriolanus at the RSC and Muhammed Ali in an acclaimed play where he got great reviews.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/one-night-in-miami-donmar-warehouse-review-hard-hitting-ali-trib/

He has a look of a young Idris to me. Personally, I want someone like Sope to play Bond next. I'm tired of the conventional and open up to the new.

Sope-Dirisu-Cassius-Clay-in-One-Night-in-Miami...jpg
    Sope_Dirisu.png

I recently skimmed through 'Mothering Sunday' and Sope has serious screen presence. He is very quickly rising to the top of my list to be the new 007.......

qsBoOHH.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Admittedly, Sope had never been on my radar until I saw Gangs of London.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Out of the candidates, Sope so far is the one that appeals most to me; he has "big d*** swagger", yet also has a very humble character IRL as seen in the interview he gave when responding to the Bond rumours; He's genuinely athletic and physically menacing. His presence fills the screen.

Put him in a tux.

Put him in combat gear.

In a suit.

Casual wear.

He's quite striking.

Have him walk in a room, or across a pool deck? Women will eyeball him.

He has all the attributes that screams Bond.