Bond
    tumblr_o09t3diSlw1qdhps7o5_250.gif

Not Bond
    tumblr_inline_pg8r6o85841t8bm8b_250.gifv

Bond
    ddd31ef0876f0573e69860259c196abb4da70e2c.gifv

Not Bond
    ac5518728dad34ba53a573395ae5e7822f18c788.gifv

Aidan is really good at playing angry and vulnerable and disheveled (last one in the suspect) (which is enough for a new interpretation of the character) but I am yet to see him compellingly pull off suave charismatic gravitas in any role. His movements are somewhat stiff and unnatural, feel forced and his choice and exaggeration of facial expressions don’t fit his looks and aren’t consistent with the character in ATTWN. He would pull audiences for an initial film but could he sustain attraction over and over again?

The reason I think he needs a good director to bring it out of him is because I see the potential in interview situations but never when he is acting, and if that continues, the direction and world building needs to be that much more immaculate to compensate.

A similar analysis could be made of any actor of course (especially Cavill) but it would be sad not to see Turner do well because he should be able to contend with Connery and Craig based off of his appearance alone. Put a monitor in his eyeline and he would do better I think.

ef03e773d409333c5c3ada6e619aa2bf.jpg
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 784
    Tom Hughes looks interesting, cheekbones eyes and all but his performance in The Game doesn’t stand out particularly. He should have been more cold.
  • peter wrote: »
    I think Cavill has more of the look of Bond (to my mind), but Pattinson has much greater range as an actor. The question is, though: how much range does the actor playing Bond need?

More than a plank of wood, which takes Cavill out of the running.

It’s a good question, and I do think that range isn’t everything, if the actor fits the role well enough. Just look at Roger Moore. But Bond does need a certain something that leaps out of the screen at you. An unbelieveable amount of charm or charisma, or that alpha male absolutely dominates a room with his physical presence feeling, or a dark intensity that lets you know this guy’s a killer, or something, anything that helps them to own the role with confidence.

Even if I ignore his limits as an actor, Cavill doesn’t seem to have any of that. Maybe it’s because, as well as being a limited actor, he’s apparently a bit of a geeky type in real life, so the leading man stuff doesn’t come naturally to him? I don’t know. But he’s not a good actor and he’s not a movie star either, so I don’t think he’s Bond.
    It’s not just up to the actor, Sam Mendes was enough of a dork to ruin Craig’s performance at times in Skyfall and Spectre.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In so many of Cavill’s roles he uses an accent other than his own , often American; I think this negatively effects his screen presence. I’ve seen several interviews where he’s speaking with his natural voice and he comes off much more charming and charismatic; if this could be harnessed for Bond then he may be up to the task.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 12,837
    It’s not just up to the actor, Sam Mendes was enough of a dork to ruin Craig’s performance at times in Skyfall and Spectre.

True, but UNCLE (which I’m basing most of my judgement of Cavill on) was directed by Guy Ritchie, who’s gotten loads of great charismatic performances from his leads in the past. Maybe Argylle will show me what others see him in, because I do like Matthew Vaughn, and that seems like another could’ve been Bond sort of role. But right now, I’m still struggling to see why anyone would want him. He looks the part but so do plenty of much better others.

I don’t think Mendes ruined Craig’s performance either. He definitely bought a more heightened flavour to it, and not all of the one liners landed (they never do), but what I like most about Craig’s Bond is how they constantly tried to find new sides to him. And I thought shifting from the cold, emotionally stunted assassin to a more relaxed and self assured superspy was the right way to play it, since they really leant into how he was aging. We all take ourselves less seriously as we get older.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I thought Cavill was good in UNCLE. I mean, I've seen him give what I think are wooden performances (the dire Night Hunter), but I liked UNCLE.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    If it weren't for the recent(ish) controversies sorrounding him, i think Warden Wayne would have been a good choice.
    actor-warden-wayne-233878_large.jpg?1624663075
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The standard of the next guy's acting is a funny one. On the one hand, he's got to follow Daniel Craig, who was not just a superb and much-admired Bond but a genuinely excellent, world class actor. On the other hand, er, he's got to follow Daniel Craig - so the odds are that he won't be as good an actor as Craig, anyway, no matter who he is! The new guy's got a tough gig.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I just have a feeling that the first few minutes of Bond 7's introduction would be so good, that some of us might shockingly find ourselves forgetting Craig's Bond for a while and possibly decamp, because I think Barbara & Michael are going to ensure they make a statement with Bond 7's first few action moments.
    I consider myself quite open minded, but I draw a line at candidates who have too forward pointing nipples. Those things always stare right into the deepest darkest corners of my soul. I am a nippleist. A nippleist nibbleist who likes to suck on teats from an angle.

tumblr_nngeq0n8gQ1qbvx0xo1_640.gif
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I thought Cavill was good in UNCLE. I mean, I've seen him give what I think are wooden performances (the dire Night Hunter), but I liked UNCLE.

I thought he was rather brilliant in it. He seems to excel at characters that have that kind of sharp wit about them or characters that say very little. Anything in between, he tends to run into problems.

So he could be a good Bond, if his Bond fit either of the two above traits. After what we've just had with Craig, however, I don't see them going too far in either direction.
    You are right. As much as we like to shit on Cavill's acting skills, I think he is good with great presence in the Witcher, where he doesn't speak very much.
    Yes, I think that's the thing: he can be good, but generally has a limited range. He surprised me in The Witcher, he surprised me the other way in Night Hunter.

I remember someone on another board who supposedly had connections saying that Cavill wasn't a natural actor and lacked good instincts, so the director always has to take more time with him and really work at his scenes; this guy claimed that Cavill gets work because he's a nice guy who works hard and has a little charisma, which makes up for the fact you have to spend longer getting a good performance from him.

No idea if this guy was on the level or not, but after seeing Night Hunter a while ago I can believe it. There were a number of bad performances in that film, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,935
    I think as much as we're down on him, Cavill obviously has some ability to have made this many films, so he can't be completely useless, but I still don't think he's quite up to Bond.
    Maybe there was something Martin Campbell saw in Cavill that he felt he (Campbell) could use for Bond. Maybe if a director as good as Campbell directed Cavill at that young age, he might have been a different actor today. But I'm still happy Campbell agreed with Barbara's decision and worked with Craig.
  • I'm out lads. My window cleaning van has gone kaput, which will send my business back into the stone age. Damn!! I had a plan for next year but looks like I'm an actorpreneur no more. Good luck to JB
  • I'm out lads. My window cleaning van has gone kaput, which will send my business back into the stone age. Damn!! I had a plan for next year but looks like I'm an actorpreneur no more. Good luck to JB

You were our top choice :(
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The tenner I put on at Ladbrokes is down the toilet, then - and I paid the tax in advance, too... :(
    Benny wrote: »
    Look gents, we can talk long and short and post all these farfetched propositions, but in the end there remains one righteous seasoned looking true Bond. Meet... Ah nevermind, you get it.

IMG-20221016-120848.jpg

Of course you’re right @JeremyBondon
    But in the event that the planets don’t align. Or EON slip up, it’s best too have a back up.
    Clearly Aidan is the heir apparent, but who would be your alternative choices?

Wow ! Who's THIS guy ? Interesting...even though in the picture where he looks straight at the camera it is rather noticeable that his chin provides the point at the bottom, and that his head widens - with this haircut, at least - such that his face and head present an inverted triangle. Apparently you find this geometrically pleasing ? It all adds up for you ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ah man, no need to poke the wasp's nest. Just let it lie.
    I would like to think we can't get to October 2023 without knowing who Bond 7 is.
    I suppose the reason I find Bond played by a black actor more plausible than any other non-white ethnicity is because most African Americans have English last (and often first) names.
    I suppose the reason I find Bond played by a black actor more plausible than any other non-white ethnicity is because African Americans have English last (and often first) names.

???
    I remember watching Bastille Day with Idris Elba and Richard Madden as the leads. The film itself isn't that great, but Elba & Madden had such good chemistry that I started to see Elba as M & Madden as Bond.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I would like to think we can't get to October 2023 without knowing who Bond 7 is.

I'd hope so too mate but it does feel like we're many years away from Bond 26 unfortunately
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Well if there is someone who they are particularly keen on , or become keen on, they should not drag their feet; Marvel and DC are on the hunt as well.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    talos7 wrote: »
    Well if there is someone who they are particularly keen on , or become keen on, they should not drag their feet; Marvel and DC are on the hunt as well.

Given the underwhelming box office of Eternals, I think Richard Madden will still be considered for Bond
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,363
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

Given the underwhelming box office of Eternals, I think Richard Madden will still be considered for Bond

Yes. I think he's still in the picture. It's no guarantee of course, but he's one of the few candidates who has done something resembling Bond a bit, with Bodyguard.
    Don't think Madden will get it, but I doubt a movie that failed will have much if any influence in the casting of a Bond actor. It's how you play that matters, even if you're dealt poor material. Conversely if the material is good but you can't shine in it, it's going to be an argument against you. McMafia was not a bad TV series, it was entertaining and had its moments, but James Norton played his character like a plank of wood, so I don't see him as Bond.