Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 5 Posts: 11,648
    007HallY wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Why would you change them to be different if you're trying to make them seem like the same person?

It might be because they colour graded the last image in the SF titles to make Craig appear older. It does look like they used harder lighting for that shot as well. The iris as well is definitely the sort of thing in which the colour/contrast can be affected through the grading, but they do look similar to me.

They're different mate, please just accept it rather than keeping making up wild reason as to why 'it might be' this or that (also notice the motion blurring to the edges of the child eye image: because it's undergoing a zoom). I've already adjusted the grading and contrast on the child image to make it closer to the Craig one, it didn't affect the actual structure or shape of the iris, that's not how how curves and levels work- they can't change or move detail. Look at the shape of the inner ring just around the pupil: totally different. Different people.

The image that LucknFate posted is from Quantum of Solace, just four years earlier. If you have Daniel Craig and you need a really tight shot on his eye, you're not going to use a head and body shot from four years earlier (which likely wasn't even taken in the perfect focus you need), you're just going to take a photo of him in the style/place you need. They really do have the money to do that.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm happy to accept whatever, and we can move on from this!

It's not something that's likely to happen, but I would have loved to have seen Christian Bale in the role. To me he's similar to the Henry Cavill pick, but a much (much) better actor. Would have been really cool to see what he would've done with the role.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Let’s move on from this. Looks like Craig to me, perhaps manipulated.
    Thanks to whoever posted the Kleinman interview, interesting stuff.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    I'm happy to accept whatever, and we can move on from this!

It's not something that's likely to happen, but I would have loved to have seen Christian Bale in the role. To me he's similar to the Henry Cavill pick, but a much (much) better actor. Would have been really cool to see what he would've done with the role.

Yeah, he could have been great, unfortunately, he said that the Bond films are "too cliche and repetitive", so i don't see him filling-in the suit anytime soon.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    There's this thing called Occam's Razor, see, and...oh, never mind.
  • edited October 5 Posts: 1,122
    007HallY wrote: »
    Why would you change them to be different if you're trying to make them seem like the same person?

It might be because they colour graded the last image in the SF titles to make Craig appear older. It does look like they used harder lighting for that shot as well. The iris as well is definitely the sort of thing in which the colour/contrast can be affected through the grading, but they do look similar to me.

They're different mate, please just accept it rather than keeping making up wild reason as to why 'it might be' this or that (also notice the motion blurring to the edges of the child eye image: because it's undergoing a zoom). I've already adjusted the grading and contrast on the child image to make it closer to the Craig one, it didn't affect the actual structure or shape of the iris, that's not how how curves and levels work- they can't change or move detail. Look at the shape of the inner ring just around the pupil: totally different. Different people.

The image that LucknFate posted is from Quantum of Solace, just four years earlier. If you have Daniel Craig and you need a really tight shot on his eye, you're not going to use a head and body shot from four years earlier (which likely wasn't even taken in the perfect focus you need), you're just going to take a photo of him in the style/place you need. They really do have the money to do that.

Ok, no worries, I can tell I'm annoying you for whatever reason. Let's just wait and see if any answers about this come along and leave it at that :)
    edited October 5 Posts: 7,258
    Venutius wrote: »
    There's this thing called Occam's Razor, see, and...oh, never mind.

Love those razors. Occam's and Hitchen's, and... there's one that means "never assume malice when incompetence will do" or something and I can't remember the name of it.

EDIT: Hanlon's Razor.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    At least these last several pages have confirmed it's not as obvious as some might think. But yes, spinning in circles here, let's get back on topic.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    This is my favourite MI6 discussion.
    Now, let's discuss the 2006/2008 disparity between CR and QoS or maybe even how Bond flipped that boat in QoS!
    Easy ones! The end of CR is in 2008, and Bond has telekinetic powers.

But if you think it was Daniel playing Bond in either of these scenes, YOU’RE BLIND.
  • eyes%20sean%20connery%201280x1020%20wallpaper_www.wallpapername.com_100.jpg

My mind was blown when I realised this wasn’t Craig.

eyes%20sean%20connery%201280x1020%20wallpaper_www.wallpapername.com_100.jpg

I guesh you can only blame yourshelvesh.
  • LucknFateLucknFate Arkhangelsk
    edited October 5 Posts: 460
    Did Craig ever do an eyebrow raise?

Also... I was going through Skyfall premiere photos (yes, looking for a young blonde kid with blue eyes on the red carpet) and realized that Aaron Taylor Johnson and his wife attended? How long have they been close with the Bond family, and why? There were maybe a dozen (photographed) unrelated guests I saw–boy bands, two radio djs, some kind of influencer, etc., and then Stephen Fry and Aaron Taylor Johnson, randomly. Everyone else (in the photos) was Bond alum or production. Is he like... has he been their backup for a decade?
    Easy ones! The end of CR is in 2008, and Bond has telekinetic powers.

But if you think it was Daniel playing Bond in either of these scenes, YOU’RE BLIND.

Now for the ten-million dollar question: Do CR and QOS happen in 2006 or 2008?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    LucknFate wrote: »

Also... I was going through Skyfall premiere photos (yes, looking for a young blonde kid with blue eyes on the red carpet) and realized that Aaron Taylor Johnson and his wife attended? How long have they been close with the Bond family, and why? There were maybe a dozen (photographed) unrelated guests I saw–boy bands, two radio djs, some kind of influencer, etc., and then Stephen Fry and Aaron Taylor Johnson, randomly. Everyone else (in the photos) was Bond alum or production. Is he like... has he been their backup for a decade?
    I think the link might be his wife, Sam Taylor-Johnson, who directed James Bond Supports International Women's Day in 2011, just a year before Skyfall had its premiere.
    edited October 5 Posts: 460

I think the link might be his wife, Sam Taylor-Johnson, who directed James Bond Supports International Women's Day in 2011, just a year before Skyfall had its premiere.

Oh nice, thank you. I didn't know she was behind that and didn't see anything about it in the Getty captions. That's cool, and lucky for him if he wants an audition.
  • edited October 5 Posts: 1,122
    eyes%20sean%20connery%201280x1020%20wallpaper_www.wallpapername.com_100.jpg

Strange, as that's clearly an 8 year old girl.
    Yes this is the actor they got to play young Madeleine… isn’t it obvious???
  • SmilionSmilion Slovenia
    edited October 5 Posts: 2
    To get back to the thread.

Was just watching Late Night in Soho again and Sam Claflin caught my eye. He has the looks, is about the right age and has already shown some good acting chops (Peaky Blinders, Adrift, The Riot Club, Me Before You), and has also starred in some franchises (Hunger Games, Pirates of the Caribbean, Enola Holmes). He has the experience but might still be relatively unknown to general public.

e308913afaf3033304aa80e8ab26dfad7ca4ace6.gif

edf8957d141c192368cafc69edd761daef081c23.gifv

eea90c4397ca03386dc525d2abeb16ead38caaab.gif

He hasn't been on my radar, @Smilion, but he's definitely got the acting chops and his role in Last Night In Soho, from what I recall, is certainly a good indicator of what he could bring to the table.

Sadly, he'll be almost 40 by the time they start production, I'd imagine.
    Smilion wrote: »

Was just watching Late Night in Soho again and Sam Claflin caught my eye. He has the looks, is about the right age and has already shown some good acting chops (Peaky Blinders, Adrift, The Riot Club, Me Before You), and has also starred in some franchises (Hunger Games, Pirates of the Caribbean, Enola Holmes). He has the experience but might still be relatively unknown to general public.

Welcome. He's not a bad pick; I've only seen him in Hunger Games so he hasn't struck me as particularly "Bond".
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Claflin and Callum Turner have been my top two for a while now. He'd be great.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Last year Stark posted virtually the same thing:
    Stark wrote: »
    Guys I just saw Last Night in Soho and it's amazing how Sam Clafin looks like the Bond I imagine (and he plays extremely well in his scene)

1637372785-capture-d-ecran-2021-11-20-a-02-35-11.png

1637372993-capture-d-ecran-2021-11-20-a-02-49-20.jpg
    I think he's been a fairly popular pick around here for a while, but unfortunately as Creasy47 says, he's probably just aged out of Eon's target range.
    It's crazy how many possibly brilliant candidates we've missed out on over the years due to the timing of one era ending and the next beginning.
    edited October 5 Posts: 444
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Sadly, he'll be almost 40 by the time they start production, I'd imagine.
    I mean, when Roger started in LALD he was 46, When Dalton started in TLD he was 43, and when Brosnan started in GE he was 42, so The age shouldn't be a problem.

• SmilionSmilion Slovenia
    edited October 5 Posts: 2
    Still three years younger than Tuner or Cavill that are mentioned here quite often, although you are probably right.

However, you never know, with latest comments from Wilson suggesting that they won't go young young and that Bond still needs to be a veteran, most of the actors in their late 20s or early 30s, just look to boyish, at least in my opinion, to somehow pass as army or SAS veterans.

Even if we are looking at 2024 start of shooting for late 2025 release, that's just two years away.
    Also people really do age differently (or less to say so), and most actors born in early 90s don't look 'manly' enough. Just IMO, of course.

edited October 6 Posts: 460

I like this suggestion, but I don't see any warmth in his presence, which I get some level of from every Bond actor so far. He's too close to Gustav Graves, maybe. Too perfect. His eyebrow raise is admirable but at the same time seems too calculated, cold, and it's not an expression like Connery or Moore made it, it's just a punctuation mark in the provided example. It doesn't really say anything.

But we could do a lot worse.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

After Craig I certainly wouldn't be against him.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond SS Colombie

I like this suggestion, but I don't see any warmth in his presence, which I get some level of from every Bond actor so far. He's too close to Gustav Graves, maybe. Too perfect. His eyebrow raise is admirable but at the same time seems too calculated, cold, and it's not an expression like Connery or Moore made it, it's just a punctuation mark in the provided example. It doesn't really say anything.

But we could do a lot worse.

I rather like that though, the coldness being closer to Fleming's Bond. But you're right the cinematic Bonds have a warmth to them. Without trying to spoil LNiS his character is meant to be shady in this scene, I'm sure he could bring that warmth in a proper eyebrow raise, not that that ever discounted Craig. Claflin's been on the top of my shortlist since this film but I hadn't realised he was that old, which I realise isn't that old, but I've been looking at 30 year olds just because of 'the inevitability of time'.