Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,925
    Benny wrote: »
    I don't see EON going with an actor, who is well know for another spy franchise.
    This. It's the same reason Colin Firth won't be the next M. Ok, after Goldmember I'd've bet any money that Blofeld and Bond would never be foster-brothers, so stranger things have actually happened, but...I'd've thought being the lead in another spy series would automatically rule someone out for Bond, tbh.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2022 Posts: 14,941
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    At that point I’m not a strong advocate of Egerton but he has potential. As far as his association with Kingsman, Harrison Ford has shown that an actor can portray several iconic characters in separate franchises.

True, but then Ford did turn down playing Alan Grant in Jurassic Park because it was too close to Indy.
    I like Taron Egerton, but I think his involvement in the Kingsman films might make him an unlikely choice as far as EON are concerned. He's also a little bit too housing estate for Bond if you'll forgive me.

I don't think so, I wonder if you're just thinking of his Kingsman role?

He doesn't have some of the qualities an actor needs to play Bond. Asking a fan community to cast a Bond actor is never going to work. We'll always have massively differing opinions. As I said, I think he's a great actor. But I don't think he has the right characteristics to play James Bond. And I don't see EON going with an actor, who is well know for another spy franchise. But that's just me.

Sure, and I agree that a lead in a Bond/spy spoof is unlikely to be where they'd go (obviously we know about the Saint and Pierce's Bondesque ads and all that); I was just responding to your 'housing estate' comment: I don't think he shows that in other parts he plays apart from Kingsman, where he was specifically supposed to be from a housing estate. And he brushes that off fairly quickly too.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    At that point I’m not a strong advocate of Egerton but he has potential. As far as his association with Kingsman, Harrison Ford has shown that an actor can portray several iconic characters in separate franchises.

True, but then Ford did turn down playing Alan Grant in Jurassic Park because it was too close to Indy.
    I like Taron Egerton, but I think his involvement in the Kingsman films might make him an unlikely choice as far as EON are concerned. He's also a little bit too housing estate for Bond if you'll forgive me.

He doesn't have some of the qualities an actor needs to play Bond. Asking a fan community to cast a Bond actor is never going to work. We'll always have massively differing opinions. As I said, I think he's a great actor. But I don't think he has the right characteristics to play James Bond. And I don't see EON going with an actor, who is well know for another spy franchise. But that's just me.

Sure, and I agree that a lead in a Bond/spy spoof is unlikely to be where they'd go (obviously we know about the Saint and Pierce's Bondesque ads and all that); I was just responding to your 'housing estate' comment: I don't think he shows that in other parts he plays apart from Kingsman, where he was specifically supposed to be from a housing estate. And he brushes that off fairly quickly too.

I appreciate that @mtm I have no issue with anyone who grew up or lived on a housing estate. No offence meant.
    Suggesting someone from a housing estate is not worthy of being Bond is not something I advocate.
    As part of Bond's character, I haven't seen Egerton display the qualities required, to play Bond
    Again, I appreciated this isn't the thoughts of all.

I appreciate that @mtm I have no issue with anyone who grew up or lived on a housing estate. No offence meant.
    Suggesting someone from a housing estate is not worthy of being Bond is not something I advocate.
    As part of Bond's character, I haven't seen Egerton display the qualities required, to play Bond
    Again, I appreciated this isn't the thoughts of all.

It's a bit like the Jack O'Connell situation we had on previous pages. Some of the actor's previous roles and how they come across offscreen might be overshadowing some of their other qualities that might make them good candidates for Bond. As I always say, it might well have been a similar situation with Connery when he got the role/before anyone had actually seen him as the character. The idea of him as a 'balding Scottish lorry driver' or as a working class Scot presumably would have been there.

Not saying anyone's being intentionally demeaning, and I agree Ederton probably wouldn't be a good fit for the role. It's just something to keep in mind when thinking about potential actors.
    Taron Eggerton ? IMDb says he is 5'9" tall...any reference assumes IMDb has an accurate statement of his height, and not generous. Bruce Lee was a VERY capable fighter, but do you really want a Bond for whom you must believe he is a WORLD-CLASS martial artist in order to be credible in a fight ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I hardly think it's impossible to believe that a 5'9" guy could be 'credible in a fight'. I could show you some pubs where you'd meet some very credible guys of that height :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I suppose that's why they're called actors. They can act tough and play act at fighting without having to be a black belt in karate or in the SAS.
    Understood, but we're talking about a movie, with beautiful and desirable people in it. Smart and gorgeous ladies, brave and handsome men, strange, clever and threatening villains. I understand folks can point out some very dangerous short men - hence my reference to Bruce Lee - but that is not the point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Since62 wrote: »
    I understand folks can point out some very dangerous short men - hence my reference to Bruce Lee - but that is not the point.

Bruce Lee is rare though, a tough guy of 5'9" is not rare. And it's not even short. That's a very average height. That's like Matt Damon, Stallone, Jamie Foxx, Depp. Average height people.
    I'm a little taller myself but I don't regard 5'9 as short at all.
    Since62 wrote: »
    I understand folks can point out some very dangerous short men - hence my reference to Bruce Lee - but that is not the point.

Bruce Lee is rare though, a touch guy of 5'9" is not rare. And it's not even short. That's a very average height. That's like Matt Damon, Stallone, Jamie Foxx, Depp. Average height people.
    I'm a little taller myself but I don't regard 5'9 as short at all.

Speaking as a guy who's 5'8 1.2", that's very kind of you...
  • QsCatQsCat London

Enjoy

(Not made by me by the way) :))
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2022 Posts: 6,721
    QsCat wrote: »

Enjoy

They just keep those hilarious videos coming. :))

---

They're all nice candidates, but when all is said and done, @DewiWynBond seems like the man for the job.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mattjoes wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »

Enjoy

They just keep those hilarious videos coming. :))

---

They're all nice candidates, but when all is said and done, @DewiWynBond seems like the man for the job.

He's in for the Wyn.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Those vids are rough but kind of amazing; I've not seen people's voices get sampled before. The Craig voice is especially successful.
    I guess if we're going to live in a world where technology can do these sorts of things, this is what I'd personally like it to be used for. These videos are genuinely great though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Another enjoyable piece of fun.
    At least the candidates put forth are at least plausible. As soon as I see a poll with Idris Elba mentioned nowadays, I stop looking.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I'm afraid I don't know who most of the actors mentioned are in the same way as I don't know who today's pop stars are.

However, I could easily draw up a shortlist of who I think would have been ideal for the role an an alternate universe where the Bond films were produced in the 1950s and followed faithfully followed the books.

But then almost everyone here wouldn't know who I was speaking about!
  • Among the chaos it makes sense.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Next level will have the contenders themselves seated at the table or interacting somehow.

Standing by.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,318
    That is one hilarious video along with all the tongue in cheek references. A little humour goes a long way these days :D
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Romours starting to swirl that Cavill has signed on for some kind of Marvel property. That would surely put the nail in his candidacy, right? Or maybe even would hint at Barbara giving his agent a call and telling him it won't be happening.
    Romours starting to swirl that Cavill has signed on for some kind of Marvel property. That would surely put the nail in his candidacy, right? Or maybe even would hint at Barbara giving his agent a call and telling him it won't be happening.

More likely if Barbara was serious about Cavill, they'd wait for him to finish his Marvel contract, thus delaying B26 by about 7 years.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm going to suggest an actor who I don't think has been mentioned yet. Definitely a left field choice but for the sake of suggesting someone different but potentially capable...He's 29, 6ft 2 and a very good actor, has descent range, no stranger to wit and comedy and is in great shape due to his new role in Guardian's of the Galaxy Vol.3 as Adam Warlock.

Will Poulter

Sexy-Poulter-Pictures.jpg
    d2e0160d-27fb-472f-ad94-4cff5980aec8-_gf14557.jpg?
    58206575-10848021-image-a-230_1653373891886.jpg
    WP.jpg?x19274[[img][/img]
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yep, Poulter has come up a few times before, I'm open to him.
    Romours starting to swirl that Cavill has signed on for some kind of Marvel property.

Taking a Marvel role would be a bit of a statement for him. If it's a superhero then it would be a step down from his last as Superman is the ultimate superhero, and Marvel have run out of decent ones now. Could be a baddie I guess.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Good suggestion mate, it's somebody different. He definitely looks a bit young but in 2-3 years time who knows
    ToTheRight wrote: »

More likely if Barbara was serious about Cavill, they'd wait for him to finish his Marvel contract, thus delaying B26 by about 7 years.

I doubt any actor would be worth delaying a film by 7 years.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I don't think they'd delay for a month for an actor. They didn't for Dalton, Brosnan etc.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Poulter I have mentioned before, but as the new Jason Bourne. He'd be perfect, he even looks a bit like Damon. Bond, just no.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest an actor who I don't think has been mentioned yet. Definitely a left field choice but for the sake of suggesting someone different but potentially capable...He's 29, 6ft 2 and a very good actor, has descent range, no stranger to wit and comedy and is in great shape due to his new role in Guardian's of the Galaxy Vol.3 as Adam Warlock.

Will Poulter
    These days I usually use the forum's search facility before suggesting a candidate. You're going to find most names that people bring up thinking they've come up with someone new have in fact been suggested several times before. Not that there is anything wrong with bringing up an actors name again, it just saves you from waiting excitedly to see the forum's reaction to your new discovery before someone says "interesting suggestion, but yes, Aidan Turner has been mentioned before". Which will happen one of these days, and then JeremyBondon's head will explode.
    007HallY wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I doubt any actor would be worth delaying a film by 7 years.

I tend to agree, regarding most actors. However I don't doubt Barbara would have done it for Daniel Craig.