The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• It's been a while since I saw the film so I don't recall exactly what gave me the impression of mixed messages. Maybe it was just the fact that half of the named characters who were our "good guys" were part of the angry mob.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Speaking from my perspective, it felt consistently anti-angry mob. That's the message I got start to finish. Thought the film did an excellent job being timely and "artsy" without becoming pretentious. I do hope more fans come around to it in time.

I thought so too. I felt the "angry mob" were morons from the off, so I pretty much sat there waiting for their inevitable demise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 40,369

So that's the "exciting news" we were getting. I certainly hope it's not a typo or misrepresentation and we genuinely see the start of production on a new installment finally next year. That'd make me a very happy man.

Of course, not sure how the splitting of rights works, so we might get something in an entirely different style or expectation than the norm of the series. Fingers crossed it's a bit more traditional and in line with the rest of the films.

EDIT: In news that will shock no one, Netflix has canceled Resident Evil after just one season:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/resident-evil-series-canceled-netflix-one-season-1235101187/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 13,882
    Creasy47 wrote: »

So that's the "exciting news" we were getting. I certainly hope it's not a typo or misrepresentation and we genuinely see the start of production on a new installment finally next year. That'd make me a very happy man.

Of course, not sure how the splitting of rights works, so we might get something in an entirely different style or expectation than the norm of the series. Fingers crossed it's a bit more traditional and in line with the rest of the films.

EDIT: In news that will shock no one, Netflix has canceled Resident Evil after just one season:

https://deadline.com/2022/08/resident-evil-series-canceled-netflix-one-season-1235101187/

I only understand some of it, thanks to Larry Zerner (Shelley from Pt 3), who is now in the legal business, and simplified all the legal talk. As far as I understand...

- Miller has the domestic (US) rights, Cunningham has the international rights
    - Miller owns pretty much all associated with the original film (the name Friday The 13th, Pamela Voorhees and child Jason), while Cunningham owns adult Jason and anything from Pt 2 on
    - A Victor Miller Friday The 13th would carry the name, and more or less be a remake of the original, whereas Cunninham could make a Friday The 13th, with adult Jason, but couldn't use the Friday The 13th name, so would be like Jason Goes To Hell or Jason X

There may be more to it, but that alone is enough to make my head spin. If either one could make their own film, then how would they distribute it? I am glad that I am just a fan, and wouldn't have to sort out this legal mess.

It sounds like Miller is in a not dissimilar situation with Kevin McClory and Thunderball.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Consider me intrigued. I am a fan of the low-cost sleaze that was the first film. And I have been waiting more of it since seeing the film for the first time.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Consider me intrigued. I am a fan of the low-cost sleaze that was the first film. And I have been waiting more of it since seeing the film for the first time.

I loved it - and “All Hallows Eve” if you know of it. Art is a fabulous, modern horror icon. The films feel so over the top that I feel like they’re satire to an extent. Just fun, carefree trashy stuff that I can’t help but enjoy!
    New Line is teasing something:

And here's our first look at the new Pinhead and a brand new Cenobite in the Hulu reboot of Hellraiser:

pin-2.jpg?resize=768%2C408&ssl=1

pin-3.jpg?resize=768%2C406&ssl=1

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @Creasy - I'm not going to lie, that exciting if it is what we think it is. But we have been here a number of times before. The last time, production got so close to casting, before collapsing. My excitement is countered by disappointment.

And it won't be with Kane Hodder, which pains me to admit, is probably for the best going forwards. Assuming New Line (is it New Line? I had forgotten where the right ended up when the music stopped), has an eye on relaunching the series.
    @Creasy - I'm not going to lie, that exciting if it is what we think it is. But we have been here a number of times before. The last time, production got so close to casting, before collapsing. My excitement is countered by disappointment.

And it won't be with Kane Hodder, which pains me to admit, is probably for the best going forwards. Assuming New Line (is it New Line? I had forgotten where the right ended up when the music stopped), has an eye on relaunching the series.

I'm with you there. I'm going to remain neutral about the prospects so I don't get let down; then, if a surprise is announced one morning and kicks a fun shockwave through my fanboy-ism of the series, I'll be super excited.
    I don't know, maybe it's a hackneyed thing, but perhaps they could give the new Pinhead a male voice.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Yeah, that'd fit - Pinhead had a girl's voice in the novella and Clive Barker's all about subversion and transgression, after all! Mind you, Jamie Clayton's trans anyway, so depending on your point of view...! I'm a bit dubious about the latest story reveal that despite all the talk over the last few years, this's not actually a remake, after all, but 'an entirely new, original story in the Hellraiser universe'. That's not something that's worked very well for a long time now. Hmm...
    A taste of the new Hellraiser score alongside our first look at the Lament Configuration:

edited September 2022 Posts: 40,369
    Renny Harlin has been tapped to direct a new trilogy of The Strangers, beginning with a remake that has just entered production in Slovakia:

https://deadline.com/2022/09/the-strangers-remake-starring-madelaine-petsch-in-works-at-lionsgate-1235117869/

Here's the synopsis:

"The new Strangers film will follow Petsch’s character as she drives cross-country with her longtime boyfriend (Gutierrez) to begin a new life in the Pacific Northwest. When their car breaks down in Venus, Oregon, they’re forced to spend the night in a secluded Airbnb, where they are terrorized from dusk till dawn by three masked strangers. Lionsgate plans from there to expanding the story in new and unexpected ways with its sequels."
    Renny!!! Director of one of my favourite Elm Street films. 😁
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Renny!!! Director of one of my favourite Elm Street films. 😁

Last thing I saw from him was that absolutely horrendous Brosnan flick from last year, The Misfits. Let's hope this one's at least 30% better than that, and I should be happy.
    Teaser of MaXXXine, the sequel to Pearl.

So the original film, then a prequel, and then a sequel. I love it. I'm very happy for West's success of late, dude's been knocking it out of the park for a while now with some quietly underrated hits.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Lol I watched Dead Meat’s Kill Count of X and he mentioned he filmed Pearl alongside X, but this is the first I’ve heard of Maxxxine lol.

Never heard a thing about this filmmaker/series five days ago and now it seems like it’s all over the place. X looks good though.
    Lol I watched Dead Meat’s Kill Count of X and he mentioned he filmed Pearl alongside X, but this is the first I’ve heard of Maxxxine lol.

Never heard a thing about this filmmaker/series five days ago and now it seems like it’s all over the place. X looks good though.

Yeah he filmed those back-to-back and Maxxxine was a surprise announced last night, one that hasn't begun filming.
    I am very happy with this. Ti West deserves a lot of praise and he seems to be on to something with the X series.
    Here's another look at Jamie Clayton in the new Hellraiser:

307021463_157055466943505_7071063029291702447_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s640x640&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=jF09LzVO1RMAX-9Wyxl&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AT8gST6MGYWVqYXf4XUVWJ7ab0JgYgyPqItFvNk78TFABQ&oe=6328713C
    Excited to see Barbarian but I’m not sure I’ll go to a theatre for it (I’m a horror noob lol), maybe it will stream somewhere soon?
    Has anyone seen it yet?
    Excited to see Barbarian but I’m not sure I’ll go to a theatre for it (I’m a horror noob lol), maybe it will stream somewhere soon?
    Has anyone seen it yet?

My girlfriend switched her work shifts so we could see it Friday, my local theater has it advertised with "tickets on sale now!", but it absolutely isn't. They're very iffy on what they do or don't get. I wanted to go see Bodies Bodies Bodies and it played for barely a week before being relegated to a 10 pm showing only. I figure Barbarian will be streaming by the end of the year, at the latest, my bet would be on HBO Max. Hell, that new vampire film The Invitation feels like it just released and it's already coming to blu-ray next month. The turnaround rate these days is insanely quick and I love it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Dunno what it is, but Jamie Clayton looks scarier and more unsettling without the Pinhead make-up! I'm not putting the boot in or being facetious - she's got a very unnerving gaze. You can tell there's a Cenobite behind those eyes, man...! I think she's potentially a great choice. Here's hoping she knocks it out of the park.

edited September 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Stephen King's biggest ever Dollar Baby:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/stephen-kings-newest-book-just-came-out-and-already-has-a-movie-deal-and-a-big-name-director/1100-6507594/

Doubt it'll be strictly horror, but as always I'm interested to see how it connects to the Dark Tower (a horror film in a much different way... ;) )
    I'm really going to have to check out these films.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Looking forward to this recently re watched the original.