Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

BLUE STEEL (1989)
    This popped up on FilmFour the other night. Had seen this in the cinema when first released, but had totally forgotten about it. Jamie Lee Curtis is the newly appointed Cop, who becomes the infatuation of psycho Ron Silver, who begins a murder campaign in her name. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow (Point Break, The Hurt Locker), its not as impressive as her debut 'Near Dark', but is watchable enough mainly for Curtis!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Be Big (J. W. Horne, 1931)
    Not the best Hardy&Laurel short, either, but definitely some really funny moments.
  • redherringredherring Netherlands
    Jeux interdits (1952)

The type of film that I put off watching but I'm so glad that I did.
    Always had a soft spot for Mel Gibson's Payback. Finally seen the Director cut and I thought it was awful. The theatrical version is much better. Proof that the director doesn't always know best
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Always had a soft spot for Mel Gibson's Payback. Finally seen the Director cut and I thought it was awful. The theatrical version is much better. Proof that the director doesn't always know best

'Payback' is enjoyable, and Mel is great in it, but its not a patch on ' Point Blank' , of which its a remake of!
    After a rough week, tonight seemed a good night to relax with my favorite version of
    DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE

Dr_Jekyll_and_Mr_Hyde-507179966-large.jpg

Spencer Tracy is, IMO underrated in this and chilling in her interpretaion of Hyde.
    Although it's merely a remake of the 1932 Fredic March film, this is the adaptaion I grew up with (alongside the Jack Palance television film). Holds a special place in my heart.

The real reason this is my favorite adaptation..............

81e9ad52fe8d4a0798217ee250d711dd.jpg

Alongside the lovely Lana, there's the wonderful Ingrid Bergman.

Annex%20-%20Bergman,%20Ingrid%20(Dr.%20Jekyll%20and%20Mr.%20Hyde)_03.jpg

Both could've been Bond girls in the 1940's.

Annex%20-%20Tracy,%20Spencer%20(Dr.%20Jekyll%20and%20Mr.%20Hyde)_NRFPT_02.jpg

Excellent film......though I do need to upgrade to the recently released Blu-ray. Flipper disc DVDs are lacking.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    Sorry to hear about the rough week @ToTheRight.

I’ve never seen the 1941 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but I’ll have to add it to my future watch list. This week I’ve been busy sampling the films of Shelley Winters (LOLITA, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER), Joan Crawford (POSSESSED, QUEEN BEE, MILDRED PIERCE) and Toshiro Mifune (RASHOMON, SEVEN SAMURAI). For the latter, I wanted to also watch HIGH AND LOW (1963), but it was way past my bed time! :D

While I’ve always known that Lois Maxwell played a nurse in LOLITA, I just realized that Cec Linder was one of the doctors in the scene where Humbert (Mason) discovers that Lolita has been checked out of the hospital by Quilty.

You are – of course – correct about both Ingrid Bergman and Lana Turner being “Bond Girl’ material (if the series had started back then).
    05484b30d57266aed9b64f45e58ca8fc--lana-turner-bombshells.jpg

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (F. Lang, 1956)
    R.6c8e4844d4357b67c587adefc7ce3d6d?rik=XYLXz%2fZzYRMQdQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2f2.bp.blogspot.com%2f_yg0wzuV8KA0%2fSWqtddMAJXI%2fAAAAAAAACiY%2f0t2NT_JnxSw%2fw1200-h630-p-nu%2fbeyond%2ba%2breasonable%2bdoubt-6.jpg&ehk=XIXQ91Yp3Cp2CwN3Yq0FG3BaD6%2fwhze6QTkGiZpd7Do%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    The plot is pretty Hitchcockian, and there are two big twists in the later part of this film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Arsenic and Old Lace. Yet another one of many, many incredible performances from Cary Grant, with a wonderful blending of horror and death with comedy and frustration. Mortimer's manic, frenzied, unhinged nature that starts early is beyond hilarious.
    PREDATOR (1987)
    The orginal, and still best. Great dumb fun! Arnie and his team decimate half a rainforest to retrieve a missing Dignitary, but ended up being hunted for sport by a Rasfarian alien! You can see how Director John McTiernan got the 'Diehard' gig, on the back of this. The first half is rather by the numbers, but when the team start getting offed by the Predator, things hot up, and then we have that magnificent climax, with Arnie going mano a mano against the "ugly mother....." I havent seen 'Prey' yet, I hope its more like this than the naff sequels!
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go, as I need to get to da choppa!
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 6,803
    KES (1969)
    A million miles from something like 'Predator'! Ken Loachs wonderful film about a young boy, Billy, growing up in a working class area, whose only mission in life will be to end up "down pit" like his bullying older brother Judd! He discovers a Kestrel at a local farm, catches, and tames it, which gives him something to hope for! Loach captures marvellous scenes with young actors, and comical/tragic sequences such Brian Glovers sadistic P E. Teacher organising a 'football match'! One of my favourite scenes is Billy reading a page of 'The Dandy' about 'Desperate Dan'!
    The ending of the film is heartbreaking! Classic film making at its best!
    Enjoying the 1991 made for television masterpiece MURDER 101 right now.

MV5BMTgyNjQzODg3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk4ODU5Mw@@._V1_.jpg

8968-2.jpg

MV5BODhiYWFjMjEtZjkwMS00YjcwLWEyZDktZGMxZDg2Mjc2NzhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM0OTQyNjE2._V1_.jpg

This film has more Brosnan-isms than even TAFFIN . Sometimes I'm just in the mood to see Pierce be Pierce in all his glory. This one delivers as Brosnan plays a college professor teaching his students the art of murder. Things go awry.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    This one delivers as Brosnan plays a college professor teaching his students the art of murder. Things go awry.

"Let's just say, not everyone will survive the course."

Another one for my watchlist.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This one delivers as Brosnan plays a college professor teaching his students the art of murder. Things go awry.

Haha! Good one. Yeah, this film is a lot of fun. Some of his television films are massively entertaining.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »

Haha! Good one. Yeah, this film is a lot of fun. Some of his television films are massively entertaining.

Have you seen Night Watch? I've been meaning to watch that again forever. It's been years since I saw the first half hour.
    p_800x1200_AMC_SweeneyToddTheDemonBarberOfFleetStreet_EN_081019.jpg
    (2007)

The first time I saw this, I was amazed and thought it was perhaps Burton s best. I still find it to be a great movie, but am a bit more reserved. Parts of this is just too tragic and unpleasant for me to enjoy it as much as before. Fantastic performances, though-from Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman and the rest.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, I still need to see this. I remember having interest in it when it released back in 2007 but my friend came home from the theater and spoiled the ending which put a damper in my interest for a long time. That was back when I absolutely loathed the idea of spoilers, when hearing a big one could keep me from checking out something at all or for a very long time, but I've changed on that in the years since.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger, I still need to see this. I remember having interest in it when it released back in 2007 but my friend came home from the theater and spoiled the ending which put a damper in my interest for a long time. That was back when I absolutely loathed the idea of spoilers, when hearing a big one could keep me from checking out something at all or for a very long time, but I've changed on that in the years since.

Is this your friend?

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Re-watched Stanley Donen's CHARADE tonight. Probably the best contender (maybe except Billy Wilder's WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION) for the title of The Best Hitchcock Movie That Hitch Never Made. Only much funnier, and Hitch failed to employ the perennially lovely Audrey Hepburn in his films. Apart from Audrey, we have Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy, so what's there not to like?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Re-watched Stanley Donen's CHARADE tonight. Probably the best contender (maybe except Billy Wilder's WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION) for the title of The Best Hitchcock Movie That Hitch Never Made. Only much funnier, and Hitch failed to employ the perennially lovely Audrey Hepburn in his films. Apart from Audrey, we have Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy, so what's there not to like?

And dont forget Henry Mancinis wonderful score!
    Dark Shadows (T. Burton, 2012)
    1pdCabh48fmEfqQsoAGmi4LVYqh.jpg
    As with Sweeney Todd and several other Burton movies, I probably liked this better on the first watch. It s still one of Burton s better movies, but the finale drags it down. Thankfully it doesn t last long, and up until that point there is much excellence. Maybe it s just me, but the so called "climax" is so often the weakest parts of movies for me. Eva Green is particularly lovely and horrible at the same time here, and it s cool to see Christopher Lee in a small cameo.
    Best line "The ugliest woman I have ever seen."

Speaking of CHARADE and Cary Grant, on Sunday, August 28th, Turner Classic Movies programmed a 24- hour block of his films as part of their “Summer Under the Stars” series. And while they didn’t program CHARADE, I did get to spend a pleasant day and evening watching THE PHIALDELPHIA STORY, SUSPICION, NORTH by NORTHWEST and Mr. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE. I have a particular fondness for MR. BLANDINGS since that film also served as the basis for Tom Hanks’ 1986 movie THE MONEY PIT - which is one of my all-time guilty pleasures.

FYI, a nice remembrance by Jennifer Grant (Cary Grant’s daughter) for TCM.

BTW: CHARADE was included in TCM’s 24-hour block of Audrey Hepburn films earlier in the month.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

And dont forget Henry Mancinis wonderful score!

There's no way to forget Henry Mancini's wonderful score. :-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 13,894
    Death Race 2 and Death Race 3
    For DTV films, there was a fair ammount of vehicular carnage in both films.
    Addition: Last night watched THE PINK PANTHER for the second time. Still was disappointed that it wasn't as funny as expected, but at least upgraded it from 6/10 to 7/10 on IMDb. I still love the scene with Claudia Cardinale on the tiger fur but the rest has no real highlights for me. There is probably an earlier posting from me on this but I didn't feel like searching.

But yes, Henry Mancini's score is wonderful in this one as well.
    Watching the 1969 Burt Reynolds adventure flick, IMPASSE.

4033713-2767563.jpg
    Beautiful Blu-ray transfer of a Reynolds movie I've never seen before.

Rather enjoying this one. Burt has some Bondian qualities here and I can see why Guy Hamilton thought he might've made a decent 007 (although he was American).

burt-in-impasse.jpg

MV5BODA3MjIyOTktOTk2MC00ZDliLThjOTUtY2FjNjY0OTFmNjYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQWRpZWdtb25n._V1_.jpg

s.jpg

25508_1.jpg

@ToTheRight, IMPASSE seems like it might be worth a short look. I see that in addition to Burt Reynolds the cast list includes Vic Diaz (a veteran of a long series of B-Action films set in the Philippines in the 1970s), the always lovely Anne Francis and (I had to look this up) the film’s love interest seems to be played by Miko Mayama, who was all over US TV in the 1960s and 1970s (including Star Trek).
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @ToTheRight, IMPASSE seems like it might be worth a short look. I see that in addition to Burt Reynolds the cast list includes Vic Diaz (a veteran of a long series of B-Action films set in the Philippines in the 1970s), the always lovely Anne Francis and (I had to look this up) the film’s love interest seems to be played by Miko Mayama, who was all over US TV in the 1960s and 1970s (including Star Trek).

Miko Mayama's role ended up shorter than I thought it might be. She was memorable, though. I enjoyed this film.I like this period in Burt Reynolds' career.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,554
    Loved it. A lot of critics questioned certain choices in this, but I didn't. I got everything Peele was trying to do. (At least I think I did.) Yes, it's very Spielberg-esque. It's a brilliant satire on participatory culture. More than anything else...
    it questions our (humans') sense of superiority, especially when we seem overly obsessed with adding animals to our entertainment mediums.

Oh, and it is photographed by Hoyt Van Hoytema! The film looks terrific.

UJP_Instagram_Tsr1Sheet11_1080x1350pxH_1.jpg

Late in the game on this one and got it on Redbox.

MV5BMDdmMTBiNTYtMDIzNi00NGVlLWIzMDYtZTk3MTQ3NGQxZGEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzMwOTU5MDk@._V1_.jpg

I'm pretty early in and so far it's not bad......................