Badlands (Predator 6) and the Predator franchise.

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @RogueAgent, you and I both, my friend. I'd love to be surprised by this. Hell, the trailer doesn't even look particularly bad or anything, so I'll remain a bit optimistic for now.

Me too! The original has always stayed with me a bit like Alien. So i have a big soft spot for these Alien killers! :)) :-bd
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just listened to Kristian Harloff's none spoiler review of Prey, he says it being a smaller movie is a positive and says its the second best film in the franchise and the female lead is very good, there is plenty of horror also.

Very encouraging I tend to agree with his opinion on many films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just listened to Kristian Harloff's none spoiler review of Prey, he says it being a smaller movie is a positive and says its the second best film in the franchise and the female lead is very good, there is plenty of horror also.

That is, indeed, encouraging. My Predator tastes are somewhat different from those of most fans, I reckon. I still prefer Predators over the original, I don't quite hate Predator 2 as much as some do, and I'm fairly okay with the fourth film now. (I also prefer AvP2 over AvP, but I know I'm more or less alone with that opinion.) Either way, I hope Prey will work for me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That is, indeed, encouraging. My Predator tastes are somewhat different from those of most fans, I reckon. I still prefer Predators over the original, I don't quite hate Predator 2 as much as some do, and I'm fairly okay with the fourth film now. (I also prefer AvP2 over AvP, but I know I'm more or less alone with that opinion.) Either way, I hope Prey will work for me.

I would rank Predators as the second best film in the series, its improved with time for me, Predator 2 is OK though its not a film I go back to often.The fact Prey is lower budget gives me hope as I think having to much money to spend often robs a film of creativity.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    In the case of Predator, I think a bigger budget is often a bad sign simply because it often means the film is bigger in scale when the creature always works better in a lower key, more suspense-orientated fashion.

The big issue with the last film was that it wasn't really about the hunt. It had its moments, but it often felt like an infantile interpretation of the idea.
    I must say that PREY is a pretty good film. It's different, but fresh. And it is intense and brutal at times.
    I miss the Silvestry score

but otherwise, I like it very much. My current ranking:

Predators
    Predator
    Prey
    The Predator
    Predator 2
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm going to watch it this evening. My girlfriend and I watched They/Them on Peacock this morning and that's one of the worst horror films I've seen in a long time (if you can even classify it as "horror").
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Predator is a standalone in my house! Sorry, guys.
    I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the dubbed Comanche version in the end. It felt like an afterthought to the point where it was mixed like a narration rather than feeling like diagetic sound. I know it's hard to get dubbing sounding just right but I thought with all the hype, they would have made a bit more of an effort to make it sound a bit more natural. I switched over to the English-speaking version after a while.

Very good film though. I do agree with @DarthDimi about
    the music, however. It would have been nice to hear the theme performed with ethnic instruments.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Predator is a standalone in my house! Sorry, guys.

+1
    Couldnt be bothered with the others! Doesn't get much better than that finale with Arnie facing off against the Predator!
    I love the first film, no question about it. But I also love how the 'predator' creature was brought to the pages of comics and the bits and bytes of video games, along with Alien. It makes sense for these two to meet each other, IMO. Unintentionally, Fox released two separate series that found each other like two compatible lovers. The comics have furthermore taught me that experimental 'Elseworlds' stories can work for the Aliens and the Predators too. Prey offers such an interesting, different setting for a predator film. I admire the effort.
    I only ever even bothered with the first one and had no interest in the sequels. I like it quite a lot, some really cool stuff about it. I do want to at least see Prey as well as it's caught my interest.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 6,844
    Predator 2 is a lot of fun. Great cast of colorful character actors supporting Glover as an unlikely Schwarzenegger stand-in, including Bill Paxton, Gary Busey, Rubén Blades, Maria Conchita Alonso, and Robert Davi. The action is both bloody and bonkers, Silvestri's score is insane, and I really like the idea of transplanting the story to the urban jungle of LA. It's not a classic like the first one, but it delivers everything you could ask for from a movie like this. Even a xenomorph Easter egg.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 6,682
    Predator 2 is a lot of fun. Great cast of colorful character actors supporting Glover as an unlikely Schwarzenegger stand-in, including Bill Paxton, Gary Busey, Rubén Blades, Maria Conchita Alonso, and Robert Davi. The action is both bloody and bonkers, Silvestri's score is insane, and I really like the idea of transplanting the story to the urban jungle of LA. It's not a classic like the first one, but it delivers everything you could ask for from a movie like this. Even a xenomorph Easter egg.
    I was just coming (sir) to say the same thing about Predator 2. That's a really cool cast. And that Morton Downey Jr. guy as the exaggerated, sensationalist reporter. The seediness, gang violence and heat wave that the film portrays are a lot of fun to watch and help distinguish the film from its predecessor. I love how the last part of the film really brings that "urban jungle" idea to life, when Harrigan faces the Predator by himself. Late at night, barely anyone around in the lonely streets and rooftops. It's like Predator 1 all over again but in the middle of the city.

Edit: And I love the bit when King Willie prepares to face the Predator in honorable, respectful combat... cut to
    the Predator carrying his severed head.
    Ok, I liked the vaguely At The Mountains of Madness premise of Alien -v- Predator, but not the actual execution of it. And I do like the sound of Prey and I will watch it, but more in hope than expectation at this point, tbh!
    The problem with AVP from a Predator that it goes against the their established preferences for warm climates. It makes no sense that they would have ever engaged in a hunt/ritual in the Antarctic setting.

Considering how silly the film is, it is a massive nitpick - but it just goes to show how off the film was in many respects. Making the Predators massive hulking brutes as opposed to agile hunters was another thing that it got wrong.

For all the film's many, many faults.....Wolf in AVP2 was a much better Predator, even if he was more of a cleaner than a hunter - killing indiscriminately and without any hesitation.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Ok, I liked the vaguely At The Mountains of Madness premise of Alien -v- Predator, but not the actual execution of it. And I do like the sound of Prey and I will watch it, but more in hope than expectation at this point, tbh!

Prey is different, just remember that. What I appreciate about it is its patience, its small scale, and the fact of this previously unexplored territory for the series.
    I just watched it a second time. It's very bloody good. It's absolutely gorgeous looking as well. The fact that it was almost entirely shot on location was a massive bonus.

FZY5oYsXoAIE5B5?format=jpg&name=large
    What'd you all think of the easter egg in the film's final moments?
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,449

Can you spoiler tag mention the easter egg, @Creasy47? I seem to have forgotten...

EDIT: no, I remember. :-) Eh, not all that shocking? ;-)

Can you spoiler tag mention the easter egg, @Creasy47? I seem to have forgotten...

I'll leave this in spoiler tags in case anyone didn't catch it or is confused like me, but:
    I've only seen Predator 2 just once, and that was a couple of months back (thoroughly enjoyed it, by the way). Is the implication then that the Predators that arrive in the mid-credits scene eventually retrieve the flintlock pistol and give it to Danny Glover's Mike as a reward centuries later? If so, that doesn't offer much optimism for poor Naru.

I'll leave this in spoiler tags in case anyone didn't catch it or is confused like me, but:
    I've only seen Predator 2 just once, and that was a couple of months back (thoroughly enjoyed it, by the way). Is the implication then that the Predators that arrive in the mid-credits scene eventually retrieve the flintlock pistol and give it to Danny Glover's Mike as a reward centuries later? If so, that doesn't offer much optimism for poor Naru.
    No, they're definitely screwed. God love them.
    I guess that the:
    Mid-credits scene could also signify the ships arriving to retrieve the Predator's body and swap the pistol with another, proper trophy for her or something too, so it's not all bad news for her and her tribe after all.
    Prey is different, just remember that. What I appreciate about it is its patience, its small scale, and the fact of this previously unexplored territory for the series.
    Yes, that's exactly what's more interesting about Prey than the others. Looking forward to seeing it, actually - and I haven't thought that in regard to Predator films for a long time now!
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 6,844
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was just coming (sir)

TMI
    to say the same thing about Predator 2.

Oh. Carry on then.
    That's a really cool cast. And that Morton Downey Jr. guy as the exaggerated, sensationalist reporter. The seediness, gang violence and heat wave that the film portrays are a lot of fun to watch and help distinguish the film from its predecessor. I love how the last part of the film really brings that "urban jungle" idea to life, when Harrigan faces the Predator by himself. Late at night, barely anyone around in the lonely streets and rooftops. It's like Predator 1 all over again but in the middle of the city.

Edit: And I love the bit when King Willie prepares to face the Predator in honorable, respectful combat... cut to
    the Predator carrying his severed head.

You really do see the heat in this film. It's sweaty and grimy and just perfect for Predator. That cut with King Willie is great, especially with Silvestri's crazy, runaway bongos and chanting choir and Willie's scream carrying over. Predator 2 is pure pulp.
    The problem with AVP from a Predator that it goes against the their established preferences for warm climates. It makes no sense that they would have ever engaged in a hunt/ritual in the Antarctic setting.

The predators established those pyramids as breeding/hunting grounds long before Antarctica froze over in the fictionalized history of this film. This is seen briefly during the flashback. There actually used to be rainforests in Antarctica (I very much doubt when people were around, but that's just a liberty the film took).
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    AvP is a guilty pleasure; I love the premise and the setting and the female lead was excellent. The execution is somewhat a letdown; it’s not horrible but nothing more than pedestrian. A stronger director could have really put this in the same league as Alien,Aliens and Predator.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 8,009
    The predators established those pyramids as breeding/hunting grounds long before Antarctica froze over in the fictionalized history of this film. This is seen briefly during the flashback. There actually used to be rainforests in Antarctica (I very much doubt when people were around, but that's just a liberty the film took).

Ah, fair. I did not remember this.
  • The predators established those pyramids as breeding/hunting grounds long before Antarctica froze over in the fictionalized history of this film. This is seen briefly during the flashback. There actually used to be rainforests in Antarctica (I very much doubt when people were around, but that's just a liberty the film took).

Ah, fair. I did not remember this.

It's very brief and easy to forget!
    talos7 wrote: »
    AvP is a guilty pleasure; I love the premise and the setting and the female lead was excellent. The execution is somewhat a letdown; it’s not horrible but nothing more than pedestrian. A stronger director could have really put this in the same league as Alien,Aliens and Predator.

I lump AVP in with Predator 2 and Alien: Resurrection quality-wise. Their craftsmanship is just fine without being exceptional, but I find the films damn entertaining nevertheless. Considering I'm not a fan of any Alien or Predator films made after AVP (haven't seen Prey yet), entertaining is good enough for me!
    Has Prey already dropped on Disney+, if yes I will resubscribe.
    Has Prey already dropped on Disney+, if yes I will resubscribe.

It has in my part of the world.