The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 13,882
    I thought Halloween Kills was silly, though the rage-fueled depiction of The Shape saved the film from being an outright face (and is also my favourite version of Michael Myers). I hope that The Shape is consistent in Halloween Ends (and that the film is an improvement). I also hope that wherever the films go once this trilogy wraps up, it will be the last we hear of the Strode family.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 40,372
    The trilogy's themes just feel so half-baked and underdeveloped, really taking away from what should otherwise be a bloody, brutal slasher trilogy that works as one final showdown between two cinematic icons. I'm eager to see this new one but I'm not as optimistic as I was years back. I certainly hope it delivers.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Wasn't crazy about the 2018 film and I hated Kills but I'm cautiously intrigued for this one after seeing the trailer and hearing about some of the spoilers.
    Remington wrote: »
    Wasn't crazy about the 2018 film and I hated Kills but I'm cautiously intrigued for this one after seeing the trailer and hearing about some of the spoilers.

That's how I felt about them. The first one had some entertainment and thrills for me (the finale in the house with all the mannequins is probably one of my favorite sequences in the entire franchise) but its sequel was very underwhelming, tonally all over the place and didn't really deliver like I had hoped. That finale is jarring stuff.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm really looking forward to this film!
    I finally saw Horror of Dracula and quite enjoyed it! I couldn't decide if I was digging Cushing's ultra cool performance as Dr. Van Helsing or Lee's portrayal of Dracula more. I could've done with a bit more bloodshed and chaos, but all in all, a pretty solid feature. Going to check out The Brides of Dracula today and inevitably the others over the next week or so.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I also very much enjoy 2018 and Kills, the latter being just after the original in my favorites list, but I can’t shake this bad feeling I have about Ends. I just have this feeling it’s going to make some really dumb, head-scratching decisions.

That's where I am with Ends as well. I thoroughly enjoyed both of the previous films, but there seems to be enough smoke out there to think that some of the really worrying rumors being discussed in some places may have some merit to them. The trailer was a chance to push back on some of those, which it didn't do in any way, and actually reinforced one of them if you really pay close attention to it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    A question for the Hammer fans. Why the bloody hell are almost all men in the Dracula films called Paul? ;;)

Hammer conducted a paul across the UK and discovered Paul was a very paulpular name.
    dalton wrote: »
    I also very much enjoy 2018 and Kills, the latter being just after the original in my favorites list, but I can’t shake this bad feeling I have about Ends. I just have this feeling it’s going to make some really dumb, head-scratching decisions.

That's where I am with Ends as well. I thoroughly enjoyed both of the previous films, but there seems to be enough smoke out there to think that some of the really worrying rumors being discussed in some places may have some merit to them. The trailer was a chance to push back on some of those, which it didn't do in any way, and actually reinforced one of them if you really pay close attention to it.

The big rumor I heard (I think they might've been two separate "leaks" that are just rumors at this point) do have me worried but at least they're trying something fresh. Just feels like the wrong sorts of misdirections to take in the final film of a horror trilogy is all.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I finally saw Horror of Dracula and quite enjoyed it! I couldn't decide if I was digging Cushing's ultra cool performance as Dr. Van Helsing or Lee's portrayal of Dracula more. I could've done with a bit more bloodshed and chaos, but all in all, a pretty solid feature. Going to check out The Brides of Dracula today and inevitably the others over the next week or so.

Great! I'm glad you liked the film, @Creasy47. I don't know if you're ever planning on catching up with the many sequels of the film, but might I suggest that you give the film that started Hammer's international popularity, The Curse Of Frankenstein, also a try? Cushing excels in that one (and its sequels).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

The thing to remember with Hammer, it's more about the eroticism and atmosphere than buckets of blood. BRIDES is an odd one for me, it's dead middle of my ranking.
    Thank you, boys!

@DarthDimi, I indeed have chosen to try the rest out. I watched The Brides of Dracula this morning and also enjoyed it, but Lee's presence was sorely missed. I'm happy to see the series doesn't instantly drop off after the first. I was going to do another this evening but another '50s horror film (Corridors of Blood) caught my eye so perhaps I'll continue later if time permits.

As for The Curse of Frankenstein, I'm adding it to the list, thanks for the recommendation.

@MajorDSmythe, I'll have to keep that in mind. I got those erotic vibes slightly with The Brides of Dracula but I'll try to keep those descriptions in mind as I watch the rest so I'm not underwhelmed or let down due to my own misguided expectations or hopes.
    Meanwhile, I want to write a short love letter to SCREAM V. Watched it again yesterday with the lights out and the sound bar blasted wide open. I absolutely love the film! It's smart, tense, very well acted, relevant, and above all scary at times. I can't believe that these filmmakers were able to take the silly concept of Ghostface and flip it into something truly menacing. The expert way in which they messed with our expectations, never disappointing when the actual reveal comes, is laudable to say the least. This is a class-A slasher in my book--perhaps the most enjoyable new slasher I've seen since Freddy vs. Jason nearly 20 years ago! I'm a seasoned slasher fan myself; years ago I gave up hope that I might someday still be thrilled by a new genre film. But SCREAM V made it happen; it brought tension, intrigue, excitement and even a few scares. I haven't felt this giddy after a slasher in decades!

Bit shoutout to Jenna Ortega for giving strong awesome performances in my favourite two horror flicks of the last two years.

I love the SCREAM film series. Scream was part of my early teen horror awakening when it came out. I enjoyed Scream 2 and Scream 3, but with small reservations. 2011's Scream 4 kinda let me down and gave me little hope for Scream 5. But the film defied my expectations and made me fall in love with it, instantly.

Rankings:
    Scream and Scream V
    =================
    Scream 2
    Scream 3
    =================
    Scream 4
    dalton wrote: »

The big rumor I heard (I think they might've been two separate "leaks" that are just rumors at this point) do have me worried but at least they're trying something fresh. Just feels like the wrong sorts of misdirections to take in the final film of a horror trilogy is all.

I would agree that I do applaud them for doing something new, which is why I have a hard time getting too up in arms about what's rumored to be happening, as I'm always beating the drum that filmmakers should be more willing to try new things.

That said, I think they run some risk by messing with things when trying to bring to a conclusion a legendary franchise like HALLOWEEN, and more specifically, trying to bring Carpenter's vision of the franchise to a conclusion, which is something that has eluded the franchise for its entire run.

New things can be done without having to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. There are many themes from the previous two films that can be explored through featuring Allyson more as the main character and focusing on her trauma (2018's film was about Laurie's trauma) after having lost almost everything over the course of the previous two films. Does she follow in Laurie's footsteps or does she choose a different path? Does she confront The Shape and take him down? Does Laurie walk away after seeing what her focus on Myers has ultimately cost her? Lots of interesting questions that can be answered within the confines of what people expect from a film with HALLOWEEN in the title.
    I'm up to Taste the Blood of Dracula this morning - I see you, Sir Frederick Gray! I get such entertainment out of seeing anybody from the Bond franchise appearing in films such as this.
    @Creasy47 Both Dracula AD 1972, and Satanic Rites Of Dracula also feature someone from the Bond franchise.

What did you think of Dracula: prince Of Darkness?
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,449
    "Taste" is one of the better ones in the series for me because I enjoy the motivation
    of certain characters to resurrect Dracula: they are so bored that they wish to dip their toes is some dark stuff.

I am currently rewatching the Frankensteins. Gotta say, with Cushing on fire and the stories more fleshed out (NPI) than the Draculas, they continue to be my favorite Hammer films. I enjoy the additional ambiguity of Frankenstein being evil yet also a pure scientist who "means well" in an emotionally detached sort of way. The people who cause trouble are usually uneducated, superstitious town folks whose interference in what they don't understand messes everything up. I especially love the weirdly experimental revenge tale of Frankenstein Created Woman. I like the Draculas but I love the energetic and twisted Frankensteins. Cushing is an absolute delight in them.
    I wasn't too crazy for either Dracula: Prince of Darkness or Taste the Blood of Dracula, they're probably the weakest ones so far, but I really enjoyed Dracula Has Risen From The Grave! Some really excellent characters in that one.
    I wasn't too crazy for either Dracula: Prince of Darkness or Taste the Blood of Dracula, they're probably the weakest ones so far, but I really enjoyed Dracula Has Risen From The Grave! Some really excellent characters in that one.

Interesting, @Creasy47. I am looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on the series.

The scene in POD in which Klove drains one of his victims' arteries over the dusty remains of Dracula, is spectacularly atmospheric IMO. The lights are dimmed, a deep gong is heard all the time, and the moment of Dracula morphing back to life is built on very effective special effects shots. There's a soft but portentous wind howling through the castle, as if the elements are doing their best to keep Klove's ill-fatet guests contained until his Prince has reawakened. The overall story of the film may be paper-thin, but the gothic atmosphere makes it a winner for me.

Interesting, @Creasy47. I am looking forward to reading more of your thoughts on the series.

The scene in POD in which Klove drains one of his victims' arteries over the dusty remains of Dracula, is spectacularly atmospheric IMO. The lights are dimmed, a deep gong is heard all the time, and the moment of Dracula morphing back to life is built on very effective special effects shots. There's a soft but portentous wind howling through the castle, as if the elements are doing their best to keep Klove's ill-fatet guests contained until his Prince has reawakened. The overall story of the film may be paper-thin, but the gothic atmosphere makes it a winner for me.

That is a great moment, that makes it all the more detailed for me when I recall it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I really liked Dracula, Prince of Darkness - first Dracula film I ever saw. The final two Hammer Dracula films took a strange turn, though...
  • Finally watched The Empty Man and came away very impressed. Some of the more typical horror-y tropes don’t work and the occasional bad line or cliched character took me out of the moment but man what a masterclass at building tension. Also, the sheer confidence of that opening act (Bond fans will surely appreciate the concept here) had me immediately hooked. One of the better horror films of the last decade or two for sure.
    Venutius wrote: »
    I really liked Dracula, Prince of Darkness - first Dracula film I ever saw. The final two Hammer Dracula's took a strange turn, though...

As different as it is, I really like Satanic Rites.
    Lee is barely in it, but I like the cast, as well as the mix of the contemporary set Dracula and a spy thriller.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I really liked Dracula, Prince of Darkness - first Dracula film I ever saw. The final two Hammer Dracula's took a strange turn, though...

How often do you do it?
    edited August 2022 Posts: 23,449

How often do you do it?

The mod team is contractually obligated to engage in Satantic rites every new moon. We use a pig's blood if you must know.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

How often do you do it?

The mod team is contractually obligated to engage in Satantic rites every new moon. We use a pig's blood if you must know.

And read poetry?
    edited August 2022 Posts: 13,882

How often do you do it?

More often than you would think possible. Rampant worshiping. Though I do wish the robes weren't Hessian, they itch so much.

How often do you do it?

And read poetry?

We prefer to listen to Eurosong music. It's the Devil's work.
    Scars of Dracula - I thought it was a bit too comedic and goofy and tonally all over the place in the first act, and I found the character of Simon to be weak and inconsistently performed, but the rest of the film gave me huge Hell Night vibes and I loved it more and more as I went along. The weaknesses are pretty stark but the positives are very, very strong. I think it's one of (if not the) my favorite performances from Lee as Dracula thus far too; he's way more relentless, brutal and ice cold. This one was very entertaining.