Feedback and Suggestions V2

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I had a look at Discord just now and I must admit I don't understand it at all. That's not surprising as I'm one of those over 30s and I guess this sort of thing isn't aimed at us. I much prefer the older message board system that forums such as this one are based on. If any of the younger members here want to start a Bond Discord I'm sure they can. If it helps recruit new members to the Community that's all to the good.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think MI6-HQ should embrace it as a serious option. That doesn’t mean doing away with the message board, as that will always be great for more in depth conversations.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I had a look at Discord just now and I must admit I don't understand it at all. That's not surprising as I'm one of those over 30s and I guess this sort of thing isn't aimed at us. I much prefer the older message board system that forums such as this one are based on. If any of the younger members here want to start a Bond Discord I'm sure they can. If it helps recruit new members to the Community that's all to the good.

Me too. I'd consider myself more than technologically competent but the few times I've looked into it, I have no idea what I'm looking at.
    It’s basically a chat room.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I think MI6-HQ should embrace it as a serious option. That doesn’t mean doing away with the message board, as that will always be great for more in depth conversations.
    Yeah, Discord definitely would not be substitute for a message board, but a supplement.

Creasy47 wrote: »

Me too. I'd consider myself more than technologically competent but the few times I've looked into it, I have no idea what I'm looking at.
    Generally speaking, Discord is a bunch of servers. MI6 would have a server. Each server can have one or many channels, which are akin to chat rooms with their own conversations going on, which can include voice, text, and maybe even video (not sure about that really). But they're analogous to the threads on here. You can also have "locked" channels in which only the admins can post certain things, like news.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I fail to see how this could contribute to the forum. We already have tons of ways for people to interact. And at least in this format, we can keep things more or less "modded" and, if needs be, sanitized. People who wish to join need to find us and "deign" to take part in this "old-fashioned" construct. The benefit of that is that we're more likely to attract people who really wish to talk Bond. The argument that Discord skews younger is not that strong either. New hypes and trends succeed each other at such a rapid pace that it's hard for any forum to really keep up. I don't think our admins will want us to Tik-Tok ourselves into the future either. Whatever the young ones want, not everything has to jump on every new bandwagon, I reckon. But I'm over 30, therefore I'm old. ;-)
    Yes, it seems like a duplicate of these forums, albeit with video and voice options. I'm not sure what difference it'd make in terms of debate and discussion.
    I just want to hear @Dragonpol's smoky voice, tinged by hundreds of years of living after his tragic ousting in the 18th century.

I bet it sounds like this:

edited July 2022 Posts: 17,805
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I just want to hear @Dragonpol's smoky voice, tinged by hundreds of years of living after his tragic ousting in the 18th century.

I bet it sounds like this:

That's a pretty close approximation of my raspy voice. Centuries of hard living do take their toll. I'm definitely too old for Discord. ;)
    Yes, it seems like a duplicate of these forums, albeit with video and voice options. I'm not sure what difference it'd make in terms of debate and discussion.

The difference is... I frankly don't want it. Video and voice options? Look, it may appeal to a certain crowd, but it might scare another away. A sense of anonymity is essential to some participants. If anyone wishes to get more personal, fine. Let them find each other on FB, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok... or find a better place to meet.

Also, every time a new Bond film has been released, things can get hot, really hot. That's fine, and when only written posts are dropped, we can at least manage the influx of conflicting opinions. But as soon as folks start chatting and vlogging, I'm not sure where it's going to take us.
    I personally increasingly like a sense of anonymity on the Internet and forums such as this where assumed usernames are the norm appeal to me. I prefer to keep my personal identity off the Internet as much as possible, however difficult that may be in today's world where seemingly everyone has an Internet straw man account whether they want it or not. Opting out is not always an option online but where there is an option I prefer anonymity to overly putting myself out there.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 8,025
    One good example I can think of is scheduled Bond watchalongs. James Page and others have enjoyed doing that with their podcasts. Discord simplifies that by allowing a broader audience to participate in chatting while enjoying a Bond film together.

I personally increasingly like a sense of anonymity on the Internet and forums such as this where assumed usernames are the norm appeal to me. I prefer to keep my personal identity off the Internet as much as possible, however difficult that may be in today's world where seemingly everyone has an Internet straw man account whether they want it or not. Opting out is not always an option online but where there is an option I prefer anonymity to overly putting myself out there.

You can still keep your anonymity @Dragonpol. I’m on two different servers and I only display a handle and an avatar.

Here’s a sample of what it looks like.

kvI8BJn_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
    Thanks, @MakeshiftPython. That's good to know it's a similar username account structure to here.
    Yeah, I use Discord and there's no way I'm revealing my real identity there or anywhere else.

Okay I'm Stefan Mueller an ex-Nazi.

tve2887-78-19760229-0.jpg

Okay, now I'll cut it out with the jokes that only two of us are gonna get anyway.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I am sure all serial killers can relate to that.

Yes, that's true. I have to keep it incognito, as it were.

I hope you'll confirm for us eventually that you are, indeed, the Zodiac killer after all this time.

I hope you'll confirm for us eventually that you are, indeed, the Zodiac killer after all this time.

Sadly the dates don't match, or should I say happily?
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    I had a look at Discord just now and I must admit I don't understand it at all.

The benefits of discord
    * It's like a collection of chat rooms, though the ability to search through posts and pin posts makes it helpful
    * Options for video chat, voice chat, screen sharing. Either 1-on-1, or in groups. This helps the community get to know each other in a way that message boards don't.
    * People can watch videos and movies together on it. They can stream games.
    * It's much friendlier to mobile devices than a message board.
    * People on discord are members of other servers too. For many people, this would be adding a server to a platform they already use rather than them having to go to a completely separate place.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    or find a better place to meet.

Quantum_of_Solace_villain_mathieu_amalric.0.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regarding the closure of the Who could/should be a Bond actor discussion.

Why do the objectionable comments remain available to be accessed and potentially stir more discord? Or even continue to inspire the source(s).

Also, why weren't the emotional outlashes and insults removed on sight and the originators warned? Folks don't respond to what they never see, or cease and desist when they realize their provocative posts die on the vine and don't exist any more. That could have changed the landscape early on.

Rhetorical questions here I'm not looking for a response,

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It seemed like Darth indicated they were going to go through and delete some of those comments before reopening the thread.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 17,805
    Yes, he did, and that is the usual practice when the mods close a thread which has become divisive and controversial. As an analogy, you could compare it to removing rotten apples from the barrel so that the rot doesn't spread to the other apples in the barrel. In other words, it's for the greater good.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Okay I missed that follow-up intent, thanks for clarifying.
    Thank you for your patience, fellas. I am dividing my time between this forum and my baby boy, just nine days old but demanding my attention like a pro. 😉 I, or another mod, will sanitize the Bond actor thread as soon as possible.

Back to raising a brand new Bond fan, now. 😉😉
    edited November 2022 Posts: 17,805
    Okay I missed that follow-up intent, thanks for clarifying.

Not to worry. I would also say that the mods all have their own personal lives and jobs of work to do outside of moderating this forum so it's obviously not always possible for them to deal with firefights on the forum at every hour of the day or night. If members could find it within themselves to act with more civility and decorum the mods wouldn't be under so much pressure to clean up the resulting mess and keep the peace. That's something for the members involved (whoever they were) to think about in the interim perhaps?
    Thank you for your patience, fellas. I am dividing my time between this forum and my baby boy, just nine days old but demanding my attention like a pro. 😉 I, or another mod, will sanitize the Bond actor thread as soon as possible.

Congratulations! Clearly one job takes a much higher priority than the other… but not to worry, baby Dimi will have you back soon enough. ;)
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

Congratulations on the baby!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I've had a truly minor "problem" for a few months: Under my user name, the line "My Discussions" keeps showing an "8". But when I click on "My Discussions", the response is "No discussions were found". Not exactly what I'd call a nuisance, but strange.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I noticed something similar… the number there doesn’t seem congruous with the number of discussions I’ve started.
    Possibly because some of them have been closed? I don’t know.