Who should/could be a Bond actor?

19329339359379381147

Comments

  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 2,409
    Hoult is a great actor and wouldn't be a bad choice at all, but he gives me Pierce vibes in that he doesn't look tough enough for Bond. Maybe he'd look different if they cast him
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Posts: 7,926
    QsCat wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah, I find his acting amusing at times, but he's always extremely watchable and charismatic; he's a natural star and always was really.

    Brosnan is a brilliant actor. Is there anyone similar nowadays? Not that I can think of. For me he succeeded in being a combination of Moore and Connery. Perhaps erring a little more towards Moore though..
    But you can't ask for more than that. He accomplished a huge amount as Bond and is unfairly criticised by some people on here..

    Well if you take Brosnan when he was first considered, basically with only one hit-series on his name, I'd say Tom Ellis is at that same point. He's a very fine actor indeed, but people don't seem to be able to look past his Lucifer performance. He's over the top as that's his interpretation of the role. But we'll see, I still think he's one of the best candidates right now.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 7,713
    peter wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »
    Nicholas Hoult ?!!? What ?

    Don’t you think he’s a good actor @Since62 ? He’s quite handsome. Has screen charisma. A little more lean mass on his frame would go a long way. But he would bring elements far different from Craig.

    I prefer edgier actors, but if they were going with a lighter touch, I’d give this guy a chance.

    He is progressing growing int his looks. His level of fame is perfect, and as stated, he is a strong dramatic actor who can also pull off lighter material. He deserves a look.

    gpKA6Ca.jpg


  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    QsCat wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Yeah, I find his acting amusing at times, but he's always extremely watchable and charismatic; he's a natural star and always was really.

    Brosnan is a brilliant actor. Is there anyone similar nowadays? Not that I can think of. For me he succeeded in being a combination of Moore and Connery. Perhaps erring a little more towards Moore though..
    But you can't ask for more than that. He accomplished a huge amount as Bond and is unfairly criticised by some people on here..

    Well if you take Brosnan when he was first considered, basically with only one hit-series on his name, I'd say Tom Ellis is at that same point. He's a very fine actor indeed, but people don't seem to be able to look past his Lucifer performance. He's over the top as that's his interpretation of the role. But we'll see, I still think he's one of the best candidates right now.

    I confess I can't see beyond his Miranda performance :D
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Posts: 1,350
    I just think it’s kind of strange that so many of these franchise filmmakers saw enough in Hoult to take an extended look at him, but when they did, decided to go with someone else.
    But I’m reading too much into that…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    Cavill was much the same for years, wasn't he?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Posts: 664
    mtm wrote: »
    Cavill was much the same for years, wasn't he?

    Just what I was thinking.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Posts: 251
    I just think it’s kind of strange that so many of these franchise filmmakers saw enough in Hoult to take an extended look at him, but when they did, decided to go with someone else.
    But I’m reading too much into that…

    Maybe he just didn't deliver at the audition stage. You also can't believe everything you read about missed projects. He wasn't necessarily the only candidate up for those parts, alongside the actor eventually cast. He could have been one of several/many.
  • I am getting worried for @JeremyBondon, we haven't heard from him in a while.
  • Posts: 6,645
    This'll bring him back.

    AIDAN TURNER CAST AS JAMES BOND



    The trap is set.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 94
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 2,550
    Hoult’s a bit like Matt Smith for me, in how he doesn’t look as tough as my ideal Bond probably would, but I’d still be open to him doing it. I could see him bringing a lighter touch to it again, but he’s also a really good dramatic actor. Out of the Skins graduates though, I prefer Jack O’Connell.

    Y'know, O'Connell's growing on me more and more as a possibility. I've mentioned him in my list of picks in the past, but having seen a few more films - Unbroken and '71 particularly - that he's been in, I can definitely see it.

    He's not necessarily the sort of actor who immediately strikes you as Bondian. He's a bit short at 5'7 I believe. He's joked in the past that if he was to play Bond he'd need elocution lessons, and there's definitely a rough round the edges quality to him. Still though, I'd argue the latter aspect was also the case with Connery and Craig, that particular height doesn't disqualify you from the role, and his voice can be worked on in preparation for the role. Overall, he's a strong actor with a raw screen presence. Good age as he's in his early 30s too. Must say, when he's clean shaven, his hair done, and he's in the right costume, there's definitely more of a 'Bond' vibe to him.

    kr4XTZdCrGQguXY3NX0Cr11AeLE

    _79813036_2432_fpjb_00159rv2_crop.jpg

    edb02f64ab5ac8b22a7b1c6762b5bb9c.png

    8Tr6URBSHzKuNXNpKr9y2G-320-80.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him in the SAS thing coming up. I know he'll be a bit more on the crazy side in it, but I would expect to see his chances at Bond rise after that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him in the SAS thing coming up. I know he'll be a bit more on the crazy side in it, but I would expect to see his chances at Bond rise after that.
  • Posts: 2,550
    Something that strikes me about him is that he's rarely, if ever, mentioned on these 'actors who could be the next James Bond' lists on online media. Ok, he's not as famous as Henry Cavill, and his name isn't attached to a single long running character/series as is the case with Turner. Still though, he's not an unknown and he's been in some pretty well received films. He's even appeared on Graham Norton once. It would surprise me if they weren't considering him as a candidate to audition.

    I dunno, in a sense it wouldn't be unlike Craig's casting. Established character actor, not too famous but not unknown, rough around the edges/not imediately Bondian but with a solid screen presence, and someone who, for the most part, was not discussed as a possibility by mainstream media for this role. Sort of a weird implausibility to him and yet when you think about it it makes perfect sense casting him.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Posts: 2,858
    I'm not sure that Craig was rough around the edges when he was cast in 2005, tbh. He may have looked more like a sergeant than an officer, as some griped, but he was the finished article at least as early as Sword of Honour in 2001. In that final scene where he met his kid for the first time, he struck very much the same tone and had the same approach as he did when meeting Mathilde in NTTD.

  • edited July 2022 Posts: 784
    I do prefer him to most.

    Jack O’Connell is aloof and laid back in a naturally cool, masculine and attractive way. More brutish than Craig but does tidy up quite well. I see him in a CR or QoS type film, or even more realistic and down to earth with a lot of handheld cinematography. If he is cast, they should avoid the awkward camp Mendes forced into his films, as well as Fukanaga’s pacing issues. Good actor with good range and indeed good presence. Does look somewhat like a generic footballer (not ugly) but has the charisma to make up for it. Less suave but still more Bondian than almost all candidates in a post Craig era.

    Here are some better pics:
    Jack-OConnell-1200x800.jpg
    10e5ad1cee7f41e5730b2a6230fcd8aa.jpg
    428246-800w.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Posts: 251
    007HallY wrote: »
    Hoult’s a bit like Matt Smith for me, in how he doesn’t look as tough as my ideal Bond probably would, but I’d still be open to him doing it. I could see him bringing a lighter touch to it again, but he’s also a really good dramatic actor. Out of the Skins graduates though, I prefer Jack O’Connell.

    Y'know, O'Connell's growing on me more and more as a possibility. I've mentioned him in my list of picks in the past, but having seen a few more films - Unbroken and '71 particularly - that he's been in, I can definitely see it.

    He's not necessarily the sort of actor who immediately strikes you as Bondian. He's a bit short at 5'7 I believe. He's joked in the past that if he was to play Bond he'd need elocution lessons, and there's definitely a rough round the edges quality to him. Still though, I'd argue the latter aspect was also the case with Connery and Craig, that particular height doesn't disqualify you from the role, and his voice can be worked on in preparation for the role. Overall, he's a strong actor with a raw screen presence. Good age as he's in his early 30s too. Must say, when he's clean shaven, his hair done, and he's in the right costume, there's definitely more of a 'Bond' vibe to him.

    kr4XTZdCrGQguXY3NX0Cr11AeLE

    _79813036_2432_fpjb_00159rv2_crop.jpg

    edb02f64ab5ac8b22a7b1c6762b5bb9c.png

    8Tr6URBSHzKuNXNpKr9y2G-320-80.jpg

    No thank you
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Posts: 251
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm not sure that Craig was rough around the edges when he was cast in 2005, tbh. He may have looked more like a sergeant than an officer, as some griped, but he was the finished article at least as early as Sword of Honour in 2001. In that final scene where he met his kid for the first time, he struck very much the same tone and had the same approach as he did when meeting Mathilde in NTTD.


    I really enjoyed this series. It's on 4OD if anyone wants to watch it. I think William Boyd adapted the book? I wonder if he has ever been approached to write a Bond script?..
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    Jack O’Connell is aloof and laid back in a a naturally cool, masculine and attractive way. More brutish than Craig but does tidy up quite well. I see him in a CR or QoS type film, or even more realistic and down to earth with a lot of handheld cinematography. If he is cast, they should stay away from Mendes and the traditional Bond formula. Good actor with good range and indeed good presence. Does look somewhat like a generic footballer (not ugly) but has the charisma to make up for it. Less suave but still more Bondian than almost all candidates in a post Craig era.

    Yeah I think that's a good description. Certainly seems more man's man than a lot of them, and a very good actor.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,318
    I have returned. Knew some of you guys would miss me. About O'Connell. He is fun sized and not the good kind. Also, he resembles a typical hillbilly from Alabama to a T, so perhaps he could star instead in a Deliverance remake.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 13,844

    I would be absolutely fine with that. But I think Superman might have ruled him out.


    As for Jack O'Connell. I'm not seeing it, he just looks too unconventional looking for Bond. I have said before that he looks better suited to Doctor Who. I'm surprised that Russel T Davies didn't offer him the role. Unless he did, and it was turned down. He seems very much in the Christopher Eccleston mould.

    And as for staying away from the Bond formula, hasn't there been more than enough of that in the last 16 years? They have only tentatively moved towards the Bond formula. The next Bond needs to be an actor that would be comfortable in something closer to a "traditional" Bond film.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Posts: 1,318

    I would be absolutely fine with that. But I think Superman might have ruled him out.


    As for Jack O'Connell. I'm not seeing it, he just looks too unconventional looking for Bond. I have said before that he looks better suited to Doctor Who. I'm surprised that Russel T Davies didn't offer him the role. Unless he did, and it was turned down. He seems very much in the Christopher Eccleston mould.

    And as for staying away from the Bond formula, hasn't there been more than enough of that in the last 16 years? They have only tentatively moved towards the Bond formula. The next Bond needs to be an actor that would be comfortable in something closer to a "traditional" Bond film.

    Excellent post, fully agree.
  • Posts: 14,754
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm not sure that Craig was rough around the edges when he was cast in 2005, tbh. He may have looked more like a sergeant than an officer, as some griped, but he was the finished article at least as early as Sword of Honour in 2001. In that final scene where he met his kid for the first time, he struck very much the same tone and had the same approach as he did when meeting Mathilde in NTTD.


    There's something about this scene. Craig looks more Bondian in it than many wannabe Bond actors driving a fancy car or wearing a tux.
  • Regarding O'Connell, I think he never looked as Bondian as in Seberg. I think he would be my favourite contender for the part he was bigger in size.
    b0ba1efb004de781e55f7f9954f10ec61d2545e8.gifv
    MV5BMzRkNTQzZGItZGJmZi00OTkzLTg2NjMtY2YzYWMyNTczOTZkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzI1NzMxNzM@._V1_.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 14,792
    I don’t really see what’s unconventional about him. Just looks like a decent-looking guy to me.
  • Posts: 2,550
    mtm wrote: »
    I don’t really see what’s unconventional about him. Just looks like a decent-looking guy to me.

    I don't think it's as much to do with his looks really. From what I can tell he's a good looking guy. I think a lot of it is the fact that offscreen and in interviews he's got the beard, the Derbyshire accent, the humorous/'down to earth' personality... I mean, there's an interview he did on Graham Norton where he talked about a couple of tattoos he has on his bottom (next to Judi Dench funnily enough, haha). He doesn't exactly project 'James Bond' if you only went from that. I think that's why I said he comes off as rough around the edges, and why someone else said he looks like (or rather comes across as) a footballer. Same for why another poster said he's comparable to Christopher Eccleston. Not sure where him looking like a hillbilly comes from though, but I suspect it's the same logic.

    Not that it matters. I'm mainly going from his performances in '71 and Unbroken. Personally, I got the sense he could play the part and do something interesting with it. Great actor regardless.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,792
    Yeah I don't care what he's like offscreen, as long as he's not breaking the law or being bigoted or anything. I only care what he's like when he's acting, which is very good indeed.
    Just ignore the hillbilly stuff.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Posts: 664
    If you've seen him smile, I imagine that's where some of the criticism is coming from. It's not that he's got bad teeth or anything, it's just he looks... I don't know, kind of trashy? He's just not been good so far at projecting smooth or cultured, and teamed with his lack of height it's a bit of a double whammy for me. I think he's a good actor, but I don't see Bond in him at all.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Posts: 2,409
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm not sure that Craig was rough around the edges when he was cast in 2005, tbh. He may have looked more like a sergeant than an officer, as some griped, but he was the finished article at least as early as Sword of Honour in 2001. In that final scene where he met his kid for the first time, he struck very much the same tone and had the same approach as he did when meeting Mathilde in NTTD.


    God I'm gonna miss Daniel as Bond. Such a talented actor
Sign In or Register to comment.