Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    While I like Daniel’s Bond very much, in an alternate timeline, it’s quite easy to see him as a classic henchmen.. I can see him playing against , let’s say, a Fassbender Bond. The two would be involved in a cat and mouse game through the film, ending in an epic battle.

Sure, but then all of the Bond actors have made good baddies at some point or other, haven't they? Dalton maybe more than most..?

Even Rog? But I do get your point. How often , in a wide range of films , do we hear a villain and hero saying how similar they are? Reflections.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Was Connery ever actually the villain in anything, other than Marnie? As in the outright antagonist and not the anti-villain type? I feel like there's an obvious example but it escapes me.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    The Avengers
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2022 Posts: 4,247
    The Avengers

Lol. Yeah, I can't believe Connery took that part, and he really enjoyed himself, it seems.
    Was Connery ever actually the villain in anything, other than Marnie? As in the outright antagonist and not the anti-villain type? I feel like there's an obvious example but it escapes me.

He was in the outstanding Woman of Straw.
    Brosnan in The Fourth Protocol too.
    The Avengers

There's the obvious example! Thank you! I haven't seen that one in a very, very long time.

He was in the outstanding Woman of Straw.

This one I haven't seen. I must seek it out.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 615
    In the final episode of POLDARK, when a (temporary) peace is signed with Napoleon, Turner's character is recruited to go to France as a spy by a shadowy, M-like figure (some sort of minister without portfolio, IIRC)... They have a meeting in the man's office to discuss it.

I thought right there and then: "That's the next James Bond."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GadgetMan wrote: »

He makes quite the impression in that for such a quick appearance.
    Was Connery ever actually the villain in anything, other than Marnie? As in the outright antagonist and not the anti-villain type? I feel like there's an obvious example but it escapes me.[/quote]

You thought he was the villain in Marnie ?...????

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,958
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah he's great in it, really striking performance. And pretty much in his Remington Steel period too: should have been Bond then: he showed there he could do the cold as well as the charm.
    I remember one of his early 90s thrillers where he's some sort of charmer who turns out to be the murderer too, sort of Dead Calm sort of thing. I think he did something else along those lines relatively recently, although not quite the typical full-on villain sort of thing.
    Even Rog?

spice.jpg

:D

(Yeah okay, not completely!)
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yes. He really does.
    Sean brings every bit of his considerable charm to the role of a scoundrel.

YFZNK9y.jpg

Yeah he's great in it, really striking performance. And pretty much in his Remington Steel period too: should have been Bond then: he showed there he could do the cold as well as the charm.
    I remember one of his early 90s thrillers where he's some sort of charmer who turns out to be the murderer too, sort of Dead Calm sort of thing. I think he did something else along those lines relatively recently, although not quite the typical full-on villain sort of thing.

Never Talk To Strangers is what I think you're thinking of! It was a fairly low-budget thing where he was an abuser.

The more recent thing was that film with Gerard Butler and Maria Bello. I liked that, even if the twists got too twisty for the sake of twisty by the end. He was very good in it.

Since62 wrote: »
    You thought he was the villain in Marnie ?...????

Again, long time since I've seen it. But he certainly wasn't a good guy or an anti-hero type in it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Never Talk To Strangers is what I think you're thinking of! It was a fairly low-budget thing where he was an abuser.

Could be, thanks. Pretty much the only thing I can remember about it is an intensely weird ending to a restaurant scene where the lady he's having dinner with leaves, and the scene ends with him feeling the temperature of a bottle of sake for some reason, and then him looking very meaningful (possibly doing a patented Brosnan thoughtful lip-wipe). It was baffling!
    Handsome? In what country? Ladies are the one's deciding that, like Cubby's wife. I don't know any girl/ woman who finds him the least bit attractive. Again, he would 've made the best (Russian) adversary ever.

Then you don't know many women.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,318
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    In the final episode of POLDARK, when a (temporary) peace is signed with Napoleon, Turner's character is recruited to go to France as a spy by a shadowy, M-like figure (some sort of minister without portfolio, IIRC)... They have a meeting in the man's office to discuss it.

Yeah, I heard about that. I still need to watch Poldark! Hopefully on either Netflix, Prime, Hbo Max. That'd be convenient.

@Ludovico More than you, lad.

'Tarzans Greatest Adventure!'
  • We should also not underestimate the fact that the average moviestars today are not nearly as recognisable as those 20-30 years ago. Outside of the UK/US and fanbases of specific films and shows, general audiences are oblivious to even the biggest names mentioned in the thread. Whoever will play 007 will gain worldwide notoriety like Mr Bean, and thus going for a no-name actor serves little purpose beyond an announcement PR stunt.

I still think a 2 picture deal with Idris Elba is the best creative and commmercial decision.

We should also not underestimate the fact that the average moviestars today are not nearly as recognisable as those 20-30 years ago. Outside of the UK/US and fanbases of specific films and shows, general audiences are oblivious to even the biggest names mentioned in the thread. Whoever will play 007 will gain worldwide notoriety like Mr Bean, and thus going for a no-name actor serves little purpose beyond an announcement PR stunt.

I still think a 2 picture deal with Idris Elba is the best creative and commmercial decision.

Thankfully you're not at the helm of EoN.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Handsome? In what country? Ladies are the one's deciding that, like Cubby's wife. I don't know any girl/ woman who finds him the least bit attractive. Again, he would 've made the best (Russian) adversary ever.

I think that’s been obvious for a while.

Aren't you more into sausages?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    We should also not underestimate the fact that the average moviestars today are not nearly as recognisable as those 20-30 years ago. Outside of the UK/US and fanbases of specific films and shows, general audiences are oblivious to even the biggest names mentioned in the thread. Whoever will play 007 will gain worldwide notoriety like Mr Bean, and thus going for a no-name actor serves little purpose beyond an announcement PR stunt.

I think that's true of every Bond they've ever announced though really (save for Roger Moore perhaps; but he was a big star rather than big movie star) and it's never failed to create a stir, because Bond is the star. I'm not sure what you mean about it serving little purpose?

:))
    CraterGuns wrote: »

Yeah, I heard about that. I still need to watch Poldark! Hopefully on either Netflix, Prime, Hbo Max. That'd be convenient.

@Ludovico More than you, lad.

I know a few, and personal experience for personal experience many of the women I know find Daniel Craig hot. I think we discussed it earlier on in this very thread: we can't assume as male what heterosexual women find attractive in a man.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,928
    I've known several women who thought that Dan was 'hot', but none of them thought he was 'handsome'. I suspect Craig's, er, rugged masculinity trumped the need for a pretty face.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    We are on our way to NYC today to see Daniel Craig in Macbeth (tomorrow evening). We have front and Center tickets… spear-headed by my wife, a gorgeous Pilates instructor who salivates over Craig….

Some people need to repeat things on loop hoping they can create an echo chamber.

Silly.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited July 2022 Posts: 574
    peter wrote: »
    We are on our way to NYC today to see Daniel Craig in Macbeth (tomorrow evening). We have front and Center tickets… spear-headed by my wife, a gorgeous Pilates instructor who salivates over Craig….

Some people need to repeat things on loop hoping they can create an echo chamber.

Silly.

Jealous! Have fun, Peter :).
    I've known several women who thought that Dan was 'hot', but none of them thought he was 'handsome'. I suspect Craig's, er, rugged masculinity trumped the need for a pretty face.

It's this in a nutshell. He's definitely not handsome but that doesn't mean he can't be attractive. There's just something 'there' that I can't really pin down. I know plenty of women with similar tastes... e.g. he's not my type but Benedict Cumberbatch has loads of female fans.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Thank you @00Heaven !! We are very excited!!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,958
    peter wrote: »

Silly.

Ah wow, have a great time. Well done for getting the tickets, I can imagine they were pretty hot.
    I won't spoil the end for you :D
  • QsCatQsCat London

Thankfully you're not at the helm of EoN.

I agree