Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,861
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    It's certainly fun, IMO to push the Aidan Turner advocacy to interminable lengths. I do think the man looks good for a potential Bond.

Aidan-Turner.jpg

I do like him (I've never seen Poldark but I did see potential in his performance in The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot) but I'm starting to have this irrational weariness every time I see his name just because of the manner in which he has been repeatedly suggested.

Yes I didn't mind the idea of him (although I need to be convinced he can be movie star material) but I now hope I never see the man's face again purely because of this thread!

Maybe we all can put some pennies together to buy our mutual friend a photograph with the guy at this event this weekend, he can give him a little kiss, and just look at their lovely photo when he gets the urge to go on about him :D
    Meet Aiden Turner at London Comic Con
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    At this point I am only about 60% looking forward to the announcement of the next actor because I want to know the future of the franchise and 40% because I want to see @JeremyBondon's reaction. Either they won't pick Turner and there will be an epic meltdown or they will and we will see how smug one person can get after betting on one horse for years and it coming through.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited July 2022 Posts: 573
    I was put off him a long time ago because of some of the grandstanding by he who I won't name - I'm sure some of you can connect the dots. Pretty sure Jeremy might even be his alt account by now lol.

I don't get why Aiden has such a fierce fanbase. Yeah, like him, that's fine... But some of the downright dismissive and nasty comments over other actor's appearances or people's opinions are gross. It's like witnessing Korean pop band stan culture but on a bloody Bond forum.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I liked Turner's performance in Being Human, that's really the only thing I've seen him in and I do think he has a good look for Bond but the amount of pictures I've seen of him in just the last three months of being here I do wonder if I really think that or I've just developed Stockholm syndrome :D
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,318
    I liked Turner's performance in Being Human, that's really the only thing I've seen him in and I do think he has a good look for Bond but the amount of pictures I've seen of him in just the last three months of being here I do wonder if I really think that or I've just developed Stockholm syndrome :D

I guess my tactics are working, hurrah! Kidding aside go and watch And There Will be None, you'll like it even more.

@00Heaven You mean @Mendes4Lyfe I reckon. Yeah, I like him, not sure what happened to him as he doesn't seem very active anymore these days. Once I insinuated on here two members were one and the same person. Nearly got me banned, so careful where you trot.

@ImpertinentGoon I'll pick the latter and the only thing I'd say is I told you so.

@mtm Perhaps you should stay away then? I'd wager a lot of people around here would toast to that.

The point is, men, say yes to true Bond, no to a bunch of loons who want to change every single thing in the world because of false 'progression'. If I won't like what Babs et al conjure up, as with NTTD, then it's bye bye 'Bond' until Bond returns, yet again. You may take that as you like.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Wow this page really has gone to the dogs, you can’t even ask for a little variety anymore without being told to leave…
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm always happy to see you post @Denbigh ! :) It's best to just ignore certain other members.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 2,742
    At this point I am only about 60% looking forward to the announcement of the next actor because I want to know the future of the franchise and 40% because I want to see @JeremyBondon's reaction. Either they won't pick Turner and there will be an epic meltdown or they will and we will see how smug one person can get after betting on one horse for years and it coming through.

I kind of want them to cast Turner as another 00 who dies at the start of the mission and Bond has to investigate his death. Just to see what kind of reaction it would get in general, haha.

On a side note, I do feel sorry for poor Aidan! Imagine having a decently successful career in television, being mentioned once or twice for Bond by the media's rumour mill, and out of curiosity going online and finding all this. Not that he would (why would he? I'm sure he's too busy and successful to care) but I can imagine how weirded out the guy would be by some of this - the discussions of his jawline by some, the weird fixation on him by others...
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm always happy to see you post @Denbigh ! :) It's best to just ignore certain other members.

Hey aren't you two one and the same person?

/sarcasm
    edited July 2022 Posts: 1,318

Hey aren't you two one and the same person?

/sarcasm

@007HallY
    Quite sure he'd feel flattered. In any case, he's been asked by several media outlets multiple times regarding Bond.

(Sorry for double post, thought I'd hit the edit button)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Everybody who suggested that Bond #7 would be an unknown who we aren't really talking about, were totally right, especially Barbara's recent statements about Bond 26.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the long shots or outsiders become favourites in the next 18 months or so?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I see on the news a Mr B Johnson may soon have availability.... My Name is Jo... Bo Jo... 😅
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 2,742
    Mallory wrote: »
    I see on the news a Mr B Johnson may soon have availability.... My Name is Jo... Bo Jo... 😅

A womanising, former public school boy with a love of drink, fast cars and whose job requires him to lie much of the time? Sounds very Fleming-esque. Bo Jo for Bond I say.
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Everybody who suggested that Bond #7 would be an unknown who we aren't really talking about, were totally right, especially Barbara's recent statements about Bond 26.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the long shots or outsiders become favourites in the next 18 months or so?

It's still very early days in that sense. I think this will play out much as it did during Craig's casting. There'll be a long lead up of the same names being thrown around from the rumour mill - Idris Elba, Henry Cavill, Richard Madden, Aidan Turner etc, and even a few younger actors like Jack Lowden and Jacob Elordi will start to crop up (usually because they are unlikely to get the part anyway and their agents have found some way to get their names into these articles and will thus increase their notoriety for other roles). Most of these people will never audition anyway, and the few that do will be one of about 40-50 candidates and won't stand out enough to get the part. I think we'll end up with someone currently working in film/TV, probably in some notable films, but ultimately not massively famous within the UK or internationally. They will be mentioned in few, if any of these tabloid rumour stories until closer to the time. They won't immediately jump out as obvious - perhaps they don't have the right accent, they don't quite look what we think the character should look like etc. In that sense I'd put more money on someone like Jack O'Connell than any of the other names I mentioned, but this is one of many hypothetical picks that I think are more plausible in practice...

But hey, I could always be wrong. Maybe the next actor will be someone who hasn't done any film work before or is a model or whatever, or Aidan Turner will get the part... Who knows?
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Troy wrote: »
    manover wrote: »
    Wasn't it obvious they were going to take their time?
    Especially with the ending in NTTD.
    I think a couple of years to await events/ find the right actor/ get the tone right is very reasonable.
    NTTD was released jn 2021..of course it will take 3/ 4 years to get the right actor and script in place.
    Eon is not marvel with multiple characters to make movies every 6 months.

Cubby was able to swap actors without missing a beat on the production timescale.

Sounds more like an excuse for Babs and Michael to put their feet up for a couple of (more) years. They’ve already had since 2015 to plan for post-Craig.

Anyone else get the feeling that Babs and Michael have creatively dried up?

They've been doing this for nearly as long as Cubby did so it's definitely possible, but I think the bigger issue is Babs' affinity for Craig. She's said that she can't imagine anyone else in the role, so maybe she considered NTTD as her last hurrah as well, and isn't that enthusiastic about replacing him. Just speculating.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I think a couple of years to await events/ find the right actor/ get the tone right is very reasonable.
    NTTD was released jn 2021..of course it will take 3/ 4 years to get the right actor and script in place.

Cubby was able to swap actors without missing a beat on the production timescale.

Sounds more like an excuse for Babs and Michael to put their feet up for a couple of (more) years. They’ve already had since 2015 to plan for post-Craig.

They've been doing this for nearly as long as Cubby did so it's definitely possible, but I think the bigger issue is Babs' affinity for Craig. She's said that she can't imagine anyone else in the role, so maybe she considered NTTD as her last hurrah as well, and isn't that enthusiastic about replacing him. Just speculating.

I get that, but in her defence I can't picture anyone else as Bond right now either. Craig has been Bond for 15 years and he's been the most successful Bond in history, replacing him will be one of the hardest jobs in film history

Maybe EON need some new blood to help reinvigorate them, perhaps it's Gregg Wilson stepping up? The last 10 years they appear to have been mentally and creatively drained
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    It'll happen and some of us will be baffled and some of us will be happy. Look at Craig outside of Bond and you can never picture him in the role and he did well enough. I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine.

I don't think EON are gonna give up any time soon... Where did this weird thing come from that they're not business people first and foremost?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    slide_99 wrote: »

I get that, but in her defence I can't picture anyone else as Bond right now either. Craig has been Bond for 15 years and he's been the most successful Bond in history, replacing him will be one of the hardest jobs in film history

Yeah when we've been looking at previous candidates in the 2000s or so it seems like there were loads of candidates at one point, but we've hit a bit of a dry patch now.
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 784
    Daniel needs to grow out his hair, become fat or a goth or something. It’s hard to replace him when he still looks better and more appropriate than most candidates.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Agreed - Craig so owned the role that I have trouble picturing just about anyone else as Bond going forward. The one caveat to that is if they did a 180 from Dan and returned to someone who looks like the archetypal Bond. You know his name... ;)
    Daniel needs to grow out his hair, become fat or a goth or something. It’s hard to replace him when he still looks better and more appropriate than most candidates.

Craig at one point had the body of a chippendale. Not Bond. The face, not even close to a Bond. More like a KGB agent, he'd be perfect.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Sure, Craig is blonde and the most rugged-looking Bond. But if looked at deeply, he has facial hints of all the Bonds before him. If they left his hair longer like it was in the screen test, his unveiling and especially that promotional picture for CR, where he wore a tux and his gun's silencer was zoomed, he would have looked very much like Dalton.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah he absolutely looks like Bond, because Bond is a handsome alpha male guy.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah he absolutely looks like Bond, because Bond is a handsome alpha male guy.

Evidently.
    Handsome? In what country? Ladies are the one's deciding that, like Cubby's wife. I don't know any girl/ woman who finds him the least bit attractive. Again, he would 've made the best (Russian) adversary ever.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2022 Posts: 5,834
    I don't know any girl/ woman who finds him the least bit attractive.
    I mean Rachel Weisz for one, and lets not forget...

Denbigh wrote: »
    Handsome? In what country? Ladies are the one's deciding that, like Cubby's wife. I don't know any girl/ woman who finds him the least bit attractive. Again, he would 've made the best (Russian) adversary ever.
    I mean Rachel Weisz for one, and lets not forget...

Rachel Weisz probably likes his humour. Gets a man far with the ladies. Strange, as Bardem looks more handsome, while Craig looks rather old there.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While I like Daniel’s Bond very much, in an alternate timeline, it’s quite easy to see him as a classic henchmen.. I can see him playing against , let’s say, a Fassbender Bond. The two would be involved in a cat and mouse game through the film, ending in an epic battle.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Craig's attractive for sure. I wouldn't say no.
    talos7 wrote: »
    While I like Daniel’s Bond very much, in an alternate timeline, it’s quite easy to see him as a classic henchmen.. I can see him playing against , let’s say, a Fassbender Bond. The two would be involved in a cat and mouse game through the film, ending in an epic battle.

@talos7 on point yet again. It would 've been grand!

@00Heaven Dear lawd
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »

Sure, but then all of the Bond actors have made good baddies at some point or other, haven't they? Dalton maybe more than most..?