Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have no interest in seeing that Cavill in the role. None.

100% agree with this.
    Craig is my favourite Bond but his casting in 2005 caused two "problems" going forwards.

One being his appearance veering away from Fleming's description, it opens up the casting pool to more diverse choices that don't look like Fleming's Bond. Which is fine but it's bad in the sense that it makes the search longer and more drawn out, then you can have a potential backlash for picking an actor that does looks the part for being uninspired casting.

The other problem is the bigger one, in that Craig's a fantastic actor and he's took the role to new heights. There's many actors on the list who would be a massive step down in terms of acting ability. It's much more than just looking the part these days
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don’t mind thinking outside of the box but I would hate to see them pass on a great choice because he’s “ obvious “ or classically Bond.

Pierce Brosnan has made his whole career pre-Bond trying to prove to everyone “I could be Bond” about as subtle as someone jumping up and waving their hands up for attention. It worked out for him, even with bumps in the road.

As long as they make a great choice, I don’t think it matters. There were plenty of vocal fans who made a stink about Craig because he wasn’t an obvious a choice back then.

But Brosnan built his pre Bond career, or at least the marketing around it, on a role he almost had.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited June 2022 Posts: 8,021
    Isn’t that what I said? The guy was using Diet Coke ads to say “I should have been Bond” to US audiences, when Dalton was struggling to win that very audience.

Edit: I almost forgot this, further showing how Brosnan was not staying quiet about his dissatisfaction of not getting Bond.

Isn’t that what I said? The guy was using Diet Coke ads to say “I should have been Bond” to US audiences, when Dalton was struggling to win that very audience.

Edit: I almost forgot this, further showing how Brosnan was not staying quiet about his dissatisfaction of not getting Bond.

What I mean is that he was at least justified in that he had been cast as Bond. Not even almost cast, not merely considered: it was a done deal... until it wasn't. He didn't play or market himself as a crypto-Bond out of the blue, or based on his own assessment of his merit. Unlike say Idris Elba or Julian McMahon.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2022 Posts: 7,962
    I don’t mind thinking outside of the box but I would hate to see them pass on a great choice because he’s “ obvious “ or classically Bond.

I agree.

And as always: These are mass entertainments, not niche products exclusively for us fans. So there's always something to the idea of saying to the public: "You've said you wanted this guy as Bond for years, well here he is!"
    Now, Cavill for Bond is hardly a public uprising, but by now I would say he has for a while been the most constantly associated name (give or take one Idris Elba). Top Gun: Maverick just showed us that sometimes just doing the most obviously entertaining thing can be a real hit.

I agree 100%

mtm wrote: »
    I have no interest in seeing that Cavill in the role. None.

Tend to agree. After Craig, I rather like being surprised and impressed by an actor giving us his take. Cavill would give us exactly what we expect, and it'd be absolutely fine - but not exciting in any way.

Yes, but in addition to being a strong actor, there are intangibles, primarily charisma, that are important. It’s possible for an outstanding actor to have little charisma, and vice versa, for a good actor to have loads of it . Following Craig’s often brooding Bond , I think casting someone who has a certain “ spark “ will be important; just because someone is a master “ thespian “ doesn’t me he’s right for Bond. The same could be said for directors; being a great director doesn’t necessarily mean that person is right for Bond . In the end, for both, I hope they avoid prestige casting alone.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,871
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, Cubby certainly used to keep an eye out for potential future Bonds - Adrian Paul was on his radar as early as '89, from a small role as a hitman in Last Rites. I'm sure BB takes similar note of likely candidates for future reference.

I can see why; like Cavill, what a shame he wasn’t a stronger actor

pJXMWS2.jpg

I'm not quite sure where this idea that Adrian Paul looked like Sean Connery came from. To me he looks more like Bobby Carnavale.

Anyway, he would have been a poor choice for Bond. I doubt he would have even gotten past the audition stage.
    On that picture he looks like a mafioso.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,923
    I don't hold out any hope whatsoever that the new guy will be able to match Craig's acting chops. Sorry to be absolutist, but I really don't think he will. Craig's a world class actor - and they're few and far between. Some of the directors and actors we got during Craig's tenure said that the reason they did Bond was because they wanted to work with Craig - and the new guy won't have that same pull, so it'll be interesting to see if the prestige element continues or drops off now.
    Do you think after Craig they'll be looking for and trying to audition actors who are of a higher calibre though? The Bond series has actually been rather lucky with the acting chops of their leads. Of course, Craig and Dalton are the most notable for their prior theatre/onscreen work and were, I guess you could say 'character actors', but Connery and Moore were also actually rather strong actors too (the latter I'd say is rather underrated in this area). Brosnan wasn't quite as strong, although when he was understated he was actually rather effective. Lazenby tried his best. And to be fair to him when his performance works, it certainly works effectively (the ending of OHMSS being the best example).

Now, I don't think the next Bond actor will necessarily get the same material Craig did. Remember, Craig had scenes which specifically played up to his ability to convey emotion (M's death in SF, Vesper's death in CR, much of NTTD etc.) That said most of playing Bond isn't about showing that heightened emotion. It's about knowing when to be understated, how to subtly convey what the character is thinking in the scene. It's much harder than it looks.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    On that picture he looks like a mafioso.

Well he was playing a hit man
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited June 2022 Posts: 650
    I'm neutral on Cavill. On the one hand it'd be nice to have someone who's close to Fleming's image of Bond (at the very least someone who's over six feet tall), on the other hand he's already played Superman and that might diminish his role as Bond. If it hadn't been for Superman and Batman, I'd be all for seeing him or Pattinson in the role. Just one more reason why I hate superhero media, it wastes good actors' talents playing silly roles.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All this debate just for them to pick me to play the next Bond.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I'm neutral on Cavill. On the one hand it'd be nice to have someone who's close to Fleming's image of Bond (at the very least someone who's over six feet tall), on the other hand he's already played Superman and that might diminish his role as Bond. If it hadn't been for Superman and Batman, I'd be all for seeing him or Pattinson in the role. Just one more reason why I hate superhero media, it wastes good actors' talents playing silly roles.

Thing about Robert Pattinson is that even if he wasn't Batman I think his early role in Twilight would have made him slightly too famous/talked about as a contender for him him to actually get the part this time round. Personally, the idea of Henry Cavill as Bond sounds awful to me, but Robert Pattinson as Bond is an interesting 'what if'. The guy's a very good actor and would be an unusual choice, but no more than Craig or Connery were arguably. In some strange way I can see it working. I don't think it'd be quite like any other portrayal of Bond, for better or for worse.

Perhaps they'll even go for an actor like Robert Pattinson for the next Bond: younger, a bit more 'unconventionally handsome' (he's a very good looking guy but has a flat nose/a unique face and funny hair) or at least less rugged on the surface compared to Craig, very much a 'character actor' - someone whose involvement in the film is down to how interesting they find the script/how much can get their teeth into the part.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,931

Whenever I see that, I can never quite shake the idea that Daylights would have been better with him. I like Dalton in TLD, he looks great (and Pierce was a bit thin and over-coiffed at that point), but Pierce bringing a bit of that Fourth Protocol intensity together with the sort of charm and charisma you see there.. I can imagine it being a bigger hit.

007HallY wrote: »
    Yes, Cubby certainly used to keep an eye out for potential future Bonds - Adrian Paul was on his radar as early as '89, from a small role as a hitman in Last Rites. I'm sure BB takes similar note of likely candidates for future reference.

pJXMWS2.jpg

I'm not quite sure where this idea that Adrian Paul looked like Sean Connery came from.

From his face I think ;)

Thing about Robert Pattinson is that even if he wasn't Batman I think his early role in Twilight would have made him slightly too famous/talked about as a contender for him him to actually get the part this time round. Personally, the idea of Henry Cavill as Bond sounds awful to me, but Robert Pattinson as Bond is an interesting 'what if'. The guy's a very good actor and would be an unusual choice, but no more than Craig or Connery were arguably. In some strange way I can see it working. I don't think it'd be quite like any other portrayal of Bond, for better or for worse.

Perhaps they'll even go for an actor like Robert Pattinson for the next Bond: younger, a bit more 'unconventionally handsome' (he's a very good looking guy but has a flat nose/a unique face and funny hair) or at least less rugged on the surface compared to Craig, very much a 'character actor' - someone whose involvement in the film is down to how interesting they find the script/how much can get their teeth into the part.

Yes, Pattinson is exactly the sort of person who could have made it his own, I think. Very clearly not Craig or any of his predecessors, but still could have found a new take on Bond. Someone fresh like him please.
    Pattinson, from his look to a tendency to brood in many of his roles, I am not a fan at all. He’s much of the reason that I found “The Batman “ such a soul sucking experience; yes I know I’m in the minority about that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Must admit I haven't seen Batman yet; I'm waiting for it to appear for free on something. To be fair, I think if there's a role where a bit of brooding doesn't hurt, it's Batman.

pJXMWS2.jpg

I'm not quite sure where this idea that Adrian Paul looked like Sean Connery came from.

From his face I think ;)

Maybe I'm just not seeing it. At all really. Like I said, Bobby Carnivale was my first thought.

a2045240d79587e5e25ce33b5dfff8ac.jpg

bobby-cannavale-ap-450x600.jpg

Yes, Pattinson is exactly the sort of person who could have made it his own, I think. Very clearly not Craig or any of his predecessors, but still could have found a new take on Bond. Someone fresh like him please.

Pattinson's also an interesting example in the sense that we know from his portrayal of Batman that he can do the fight scenes and be suitably intimidating. One criticism I've seen of certain candidates suggested on these forums is that they're perceived as not being 'tough' enough, that they wouldn't be believable in fight scenes as Bond etc. Sometimes people have to watch these actors and try to see if the potential for that intensity is there.

Another interesting thing about his Batman/Bruce Wayne was his approach to that role compared to Christian Bale's. I know Pattinson lied (as he seems to do with interviews/the press often, haha) and said he didn't work out for the role (he did prepare, with ju jitsu specifically), but there was a sense that he was more interested in reading the graphic novels that the film was inspired by, doing something different with his portrayal of a younger Bruce Wayne etc. I suspect if they went with an actor like Pattinson for Bond, they'd take a similar approach. They'll get fit, but there will be less emphasis on the actor getting 'ripped' for a moment like in CR where Bond comes out of the water. Instead it'll be more about embodying the character.
    Must admit I haven't seen Batman yet; I'm waiting for it to appear for free on something. To be fair, I think if there's a role where a bit of brooding doesn't hurt, it's Batman.

I agree, but most other incarnations balanced the brood with a bit of charm and humor.?
  • echoecho 007 in New York

pJXMWS2.jpg

From his face I think ;)

Maybe I'm just not seeing it. At all really. Like I said, Bobby Carnivale was my first thought.

Pattinson's also an interesting example in the sense that we know from his portrayal of Batman that he can do the fight scenes and be suitably intimidating. One criticism I've seen of certain candidates suggested on these forums is that they're perceived as not being 'tough' enough, that they wouldn't be believable in fight scenes as Bond etc. Sometimes people have to watch these actors and try to see if the potential for that intensity is there.

Another interesting thing about his Batman/Bruce Wayne was his approach to that role compared to Christian Bale's. I know Pattinson lied (as he seems to do with interviews/the press often, haha) and said he didn't work out for the role (he did prepare, with ju jitsu specifically), but there was a sense that he was more interested in reading the graphic novels that the film was inspired by, doing something different with his portrayal of a younger Bruce Wayne etc. I suspect if they went with an actor like Pattinson for Bond, they'd take a similar approach. They'll get fit, but there will be less emphasis on the actor getting 'ripped' for a moment like in CR where Bond comes out of the water. Instead it'll be more about embodying the character.

Cannavale and Paul could be the Spang brothers, with Rose Byrne as Tiffany Case!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,923
    I quite liked the idea of Adrian, looking far more like an archetypal Bond than Dan ever could, playing a villain against Craig. I say 'quite liked' because it's too 'post-' to have ever happened, but it idly amused me for a couple of minutes...

Same. For some reason I don't want to actually spend money to see Pattinson as Batman. I am intrigued by the apparent detective story tone of the new film , though.
    echo wrote: »

pJXMWS2.jpg

From his face I think ;)

Cannavale and Paul could be the Spang brothers, with Rose Byrne as Tiffany Case!

Perhaps a while ago, but not so much now, given the fact Mr. Paul looks not like his TV heyday self any longer...but, gangsters as the villain for Bond to pursue ? For me, that was a weak link in the book, too. It seemed to me that Fleming derived his villain(s) from the setting, and the result was...meh. Bond is at a higher level...
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am born in 1974, my first Bond films I saw when I was 9 years old (the original, first airings of the Connery films in Germany). And up to 2006 there was always Sean Connery in his own league and then all the others. I liked them all - there was no Bond movie I disliked - it was all just not 100% my personal taste and nothing came close to Connery's first 4 to me.

Until Casino Royale came out. The Craig era made me an even greater Bond fan than before and now my Top 5 Bond movies are a mix of Connery's and Craig's (GF, TB, CR, QoS, FRWL).

I would prefer to be surprised by the new actor - Cavill and Hardy etc. - they are all too famous in my opinion or try to emulate the "new mold" for Bond that Craig defined. I'd rather see a new blend of the cinematic and novel Bond. And I doubt I will become such a fan again for the new tenure than I am for the Connery/Craig era but I am sure I will enjoy all future movies like I did any Moore/Dalton/Brosnan/Lazenby film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Agreed. @Creasy47 in a tux is the personification of Fleming’s Bond. And his penis is massive.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Agreed. @Creasy47 in a tux is the personification of Fleming’s Bond. And his penis is massive.

Who is modding the modmen?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I haven't seen it myself, but I'm told the footage is excellent.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »
    I haven't seen it myself, but I'm told the footage is excellent.

Consider yourself slimed.

What? Too much? 😉
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

But enough about Fleming.
    Enough of the circle jerk. No one has the physique
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

@Creasy47

as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007

in

The Man With The Golden Spam Javelin