Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    All this debate just for them to pick me to play the next Bond.

Agreed. @Creasy47 in a tux is the personification of Fleming’s Bond. And his penis is massive.

@Creasy47

as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007

in

The Man With The Golden Spam Javelin

Shlongfinger... WaWaaWa!
    We've all had a good laugh, but back on topic, fellas.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,742
    Since62 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, Cubby certainly used to keep an eye out for potential future Bonds - Adrian Paul was on his radar as early as '89, from a small role as a hitman in Last Rites. I'm sure BB takes similar note of likely candidates for future reference.

I can see why; like Cavill, what a shame he wasn’t a stronger actor

pJXMWS2.jpg

I'm not quite sure where this idea that Adrian Paul looked like Sean Connery came from.

From his face I think ;)

Maybe I'm just not seeing it. At all really. Like I said, Bobby Carnivale was my first thought.

a2045240d79587e5e25ce33b5dfff8ac.jpg

bobby-cannavale-ap-450x600.jpg
    mtm wrote: »
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I'm neutral on Cavill. On the one hand it'd be nice to have someone who's close to Fleming's image of Bond (at the very least someone who's over six feet tall), on the other hand he's already played Superman and that might diminish his role as Bond. If it hadn't been for Superman and Batman, I'd be all for seeing him or Pattinson in the role. Just one more reason why I hate superhero media, it wastes good actors' talents playing silly roles.

Thing about Robert Pattinson is that even if he wasn't Batman I think his early role in Twilight would have made him slightly too famous/talked about as a contender for him him to actually get the part this time round. Personally, the idea of Henry Cavill as Bond sounds awful to me, but Robert Pattinson as Bond is an interesting 'what if'. The guy's a very good actor and would be an unusual choice, but no more than Craig or Connery were arguably. In some strange way I can see it working. I don't think it'd be quite like any other portrayal of Bond, for better or for worse.

Perhaps they'll even go for an actor like Robert Pattinson for the next Bond: younger, a bit more 'unconventionally handsome' (he's a very good looking guy but has a flat nose/a unique face and funny hair) or at least less rugged on the surface compared to Craig, very much a 'character actor' - someone whose involvement in the film is down to how interesting they find the script/how much can get their teeth into the part.

Yes, Pattinson is exactly the sort of person who could have made it his own, I think. Very clearly not Craig or any of his predecessors, but still could have found a new take on Bond. Someone fresh like him please.

Pattinson's also an interesting example in the sense that we know from his portrayal of Batman that he can do the fight scenes and be suitably intimidating. One criticism I've seen of certain candidates suggested on these forums is that they're perceived as not being 'tough' enough, that they wouldn't be believable in fight scenes as Bond etc. Sometimes people have to watch these actors and try to see if the potential for that intensity is there.

Another interesting thing about his Batman/Bruce Wayne was his approach to that role compared to Christian Bale's. I know Pattinson lied (as he seems to do with interviews/the press often, haha) and said he didn't work out for the role (he did prepare, with ju jitsu specifically), but there was a sense that he was more interested in reading the graphic novels that the film was inspired by, doing something different with his portrayal of a younger Bruce Wayne etc. I suspect if they went with an actor like Pattinson for Bond, they'd take a similar approach. They'll get fit, but there will be less emphasis on the actor getting 'ripped' for a moment like in CR where Bond comes out of the water. Instead it'll be more about embodying the character.

Cannavale and Paul could be the Spang brothers, with Rose Byrne as Tiffany Case!

Perhaps a while ago, but not so much now, given the fact Mr. Paul looks not like his TV heyday self any longer...but, gangsters as the villain for Bond to pursue ? For me, that was a weak link in the book, too. It seemed to me that Fleming derived his villain(s) from the setting, and the result was...meh. Bond is at a higher level...

I must admit, as much as I enjoy DAF it always feels like Bond should be going through the Spang Brothers to get to the actual baddie. The film, as odd as it can be, more effectively uses the diamond smuggling plot to build to something bigger.

Actually, I'd kinda like to see some of the novel adapted, but not faithfully. Again, use the more 'small scale' plot of gangsters, some sort of smuggling operation, Bond having to infiltrate it, but slowly lead to a much more sinister villain/plot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @007HallY, I'd enjoy seeing that, but then again, I'd just like to see essentially all aspects of the novels used faithfully and accurately in upcoming films, no matter how it's done. There's still a ton of great material, setpieces and characters that have yet to be utilized in the film world.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,742
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @007HallY, I'd enjoy seeing that, but then again, I'd just like to see essentially all aspects of the novels used faithfully and accurately in upcoming films, no matter how it's done. There's still a ton of great material, setpieces and characters that have yet to be utilized in the film world.

I hope they go back to the novels for inspiration going forward. That said, I don't want them simply to copy and paste certain scenes or ideas into future films. Something like the Garden of Death at the end of NTTD didn't work for me because it felt like they only included it as a sort of reference to YOLT without ultimately doing anything with it (that and the 'die Blofeld die' moment which... well, doesn't work in the film, to be polite). In the novel Blofeld almost seems to have descended into madness since SPECTRE's dismantling, his castle/garden very much tied up with his narcissism and God complex. He even says he's providing the country with a public service. It's actually kind of nightmarish. I didn't get that same sense during NTTD's climax. It would have been interesting to have maybe adapted this with Safin's character, maybe tie it with the nanobots a bit more (I dunno, maybe Safin could have modified the nanbots to spread in the way they do using one of his plants as inspiration... certainly some of Blofeld's dialogue in the novel/seeing his scheme as some sort of humanitarian project made by a great man could have been used to have clarified the character's motives).

But yeah, there's plenty to use. As I've said, I hope future films are able to evoke that sense of Fleming-esque fantasy while also having an appropriate streak of darkness. Looking at the Folio Edition illustrations of the novels, for example, you get these fantastic images that really give a sense of how nightmarish some of these situations and characters are. Like, here's one of DAF.

jbd_04.png?quality=80&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=:

Looks almost like a still from a Horror film, especially with how the light on Spang is done. So yeah, I hope they try and lean more into that aspect of the novels going forward.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Perhaps a while ago, but not so much now, given the fact Mr. Paul looks not like his TV heyday self any longer...
    Y'know what, this is from two months ago - and to say that Highlander was 30 years ago, he's actually not doing too badly!

Perhaps a while ago, but not so much now, given the fact Mr. Paul looks not like his TV heyday self any longer...
    Y'know what, this is from two months ago - and to say that Highlander was 30 years ago, he's actually not doing too badly!

Indeed ! Would that we all mature so handsomely !
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    He’s gone very London in his voice. Ah well. Happens to the best of us Ade.
    Isn't he actually from London, though?
    Apparently. Where in London I don't know... his accent sounds pretty neutral English to me, considering you have a pretty wide range of 'London accents' which are pretty distinctive (ie. South London, North London etc.)
    True enough - I'm from Sheffield burra sahnd nowt like Sean Beean, al tel thi...
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited June 2022 Posts: 3,382
    NEWS ALERT BOND FANS!

Barbara Broccoli Says Next James Bond Film Is Two Years Away From Production: “We’re Reinventing Him”

From Baz Bamigboye, an article from Deadline

https://deadline.com/2022/06/james-bond-daniel-craig-next-007-reinventing-barbara-broccoli-1235053969/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So a new actor announced in 2023 with filming beginning in 2024, if we're lucky. I really hope they're spending all this time wisely, will be eager to see just how "reinvented" it all is from the Craig era.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Er 'reinvent', just give me James Bond. No point in coming on this thread for a year then.

Reinvent could mean anything... anyway, what's she going to say? "Oh yeah, we're just going to give you a typical Bond adventure, no surprises!"

I'll reserve judgment until more news comes out, which will be a while.
    Wow. So many of you just seem to WANT to be all butthurt ! A producer notes the obvious and the sky then is falling ? (Reference not to the film, but the saying) They're going to have to reboot. Each time there is a change of actor there is a reboot to some extent. From minor - OHMSS - to more significant, even if using the same actor as in earlier films - DAF, to much more significant when years have passed since 1962 and a new actor comes on board - such as TLD, GE, CR...As for it taking two years, how would this be a surprise or disappointment ? WhatEVER will you all find to complain about in the meantime ?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Wow. So many of you just seem to WANT to be all butthurt ! A producer notes the obvious and the sky then is falling ? (Reference not to the film, but the saying) They're going to have to reboot. Each time there is a change of actor there is a reboot to some extent. From minor - OHMSS - to more significant, even if using the same actor as in earlier films - DAF, to much more significant when years have passed since 1962 and a new actor comes on board - such as TLD, GE, CR...As for it taking two years, how would this be a surprise or disappointment ? WhatEVER will you all find to complain about in the meantime ?
    In the four posts in this thread since the news was posted, yours is the only one that comes across as a rant. I think you're overreacting.
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    Isn't he actually from London, though?
    Apparently. Where in London I don't know... his accent sounds pretty neutral English to me, considering you have a pretty wide range of 'London accents' which are pretty distinctive (ie. South London, North London etc.)

Blimey, so he is.
    His Scots was so understated and neatly done in Highlander I assumed he was. Usually when you have to put on an accent for US productions in those days it was turned up to eleven.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Times change Bond should not.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 3,272
    If reinvent means they are going to get rid of family angst, retcon crap, Fleming reimagined and Bond being emotionally distraught, and instead going back to the Fleming novels and returning Bond to his roots, then this could potentially be brilliant news!

I'm all in!
    Times change Bond should not.

If it means changing Craig Bond back into Connery Bond, or even Dalton Bond, then yes, Bond should change.
    Reinventing could mean anything, good or bad. Let’s hope it’s not the kind that would move the character as unrecognizable from the original Fleming creation. In any case, the long wait time was expected.
    I always felt "reinventing Bond" implies the character himself is sub-standard as is.
    If reinventing Bond means rethinking the series' direction, then great. It's worked successfully before.
    It makes sense for her to say that. People wouldn't like if she said she's just gonna repeat the Craig formula. They probably want to aim for a transition like Brosnan to Craig's -- offer something different on some level.

Anyway two years is not that long. Remember we waited five/six years for a Spectre sequel lol. And we already had a Bond actor.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    When I was a kid they came out every year. And they were better.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    It will be longer than two years, unless they are waiting for a certain actor or director’s schedule to clear up.

I think they should go dark glamorous and nostalgic for the first one, campless ultrarealistic and gritty for the second one and funny tarantinoesque and cartoonish for the third one.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,102
    Birdleson wrote: »

Every 2 years in the 70's/80's for me. Cubby was very committed to the Bond Films....

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    It will be longer than two years, unless they are waiting for a certain actor or director’s schedule to clear up.

I think they should go dark glamorous and nostalgic for the first one, campless ultrarealistic and gritty for the second one and funny tarantinoesque and cartoonish for the third one.

I would even go for the next guy jumping time periods. Start with a contemporary film, jump back to a period piece (maybe b&w), then back to follow up the first, or even come up with alternative scenarios. I know that’s not where we’re at right now, it’s very unlike they would even consider that. But, times change, and you never know what’s going to come.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,861
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I always felt "reinventing Bond" implies the character himself is sub-standard as is.
    If reinventing Bond means rethinking the series' direction, then great. It's worked successfully before.

Did they not reinvent the film series in 1987?
    Birdleson wrote: »

Films are harder to make now, and they can't just use a novel as a basis for a script because there aren't any left. Their leading man also left after just five years (and checked out before that).
    So I have to wait two years till I get cool fan art of Bond 26 from all you fine people :(