Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I wasn't after anyone confirming I'm not racist, I know I'm not, just expressing the speed by which others toss around such terms. It's even more pathetic to do so and then hide and not mention why the member said it in the first place.

But yes, back on topic now hopefully.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,554
    So, I am not on the Elba train. Like many have said: he's too old!!! He'd be 52, at least, when filming begins.

Am I racist? No.

I see Rege-Jean Page as a real possibility for the role and would welcome it.
    I don't think the age issue matters so much. If the next actor were to stay in the role a decade, we're still probably only going to get one or two films out of him. Three if we're lucky. That's pushing it, though.
    @ToTheRight Arguably it matters in a creative sense. Elba looks good but he does looks like a man in his late 40s/early 50s. It'd be the same if a 25 year old got the role - the implications for this iteration of the character, the creative decisions they'd make about Bond in this film, what to explore etc. would have to be tweaked. It's a bit like in CR when they eventually cast Craig instead of someone younger - the whole 'becoming Bond' angle with him as a very young rookie, never having worn a tuxedo jacket before etc. were dropped in favour of what is simply a story about Bond on his first mission as 007. Heck, even with that in mind, some people still find the idea of a 38 year old Craig breaking into M's flat/going off grid, being a 00 at that age in general (I disagree with that last one personally) unrealistic.

I'm not saying if Elba got the part they'd do another NTTD, but he would have to play Bond as essentially an 'old timer' within the Service, much like he was in SF. It's a major reason why I've always said Elba would actually make a better, ironically younger version of M. I suspect they'll want to go a different direction with Bond too to stand out from the Craig era. Have a younger Bond - not necessarily an inexperienced rookie or a 25 year old (I personally think Bond should be roughly 33 at the earliest, or at least look so) - but a fresher Bond who isn't necessarily the same as Craig's iteration of the character.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I've always wondered why no other franchise has tried to ape the Bond formula of presentation: the introductory image (gun-barrel),the pre-credits scene, the specially commissioned song, the artsy title-sequence,... I don't think I've seen an other film do that. That whole front-end is part of what makes the Bond films special, even a crap Bond film.

The Avengers TV show had a season where Mrs Peel would get the message "Mrs Peel - we're needed", in various ways; The Saint had the pre-credits sequence where the halo would appear above Simon Templar's head as he looks into camera... those are small-scale examples of what I'm talking about. You don't see it in movies, though. Is it because no other series of films has had the confidence they would be churning out more than two or three films?

Remo Williams?
    Uncertain, but perhaps the ending of Buckaroo Banzai: Adventures in the Eighth Dimension indicated an anticipated sequel or more ? And, yeah, I just dropped the mention of that film in order to blow a few minds...by the way - this post could serve as a lead-in for a new page: Movies in which one or more of the Co-Stars wound up a MUCH bigger star than did the Star of the Movie...In this instance - Jeff Goldblum was a side-guy.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I don't want any popular actors, like Elba, Cavill, Hardy, Jean-Page and etc.

Give me a Bond whose unknown, never heard of, an actor who we can associate with the role, and would truly own the role.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I agree.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I don't want any popular actors, like Elba, Cavill, Hardy, Jean-Page and etc.

Give me a Bond whose unknown, never heard of, an actor who we can associate with the role, and would truly own the role.

100% agree with this
    I agree too. Would much rather see an unknown get a chance.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I can see the press meeting now..."Here we are, to announce the actor who will portray James Bond in the next Bond film !"

"Well, who is it ?"

"Yes"

"Who ?"

"Exactly"

"WHO will play Bond in the next film ?!?"

"Yes. Who."

"THAT's what I'm asking !"

"Er, no, What is not Who. What will be Bond's new car."

"Wait - what will be Bond's new car ?"

"Yes."

"Wait, WHAT ?"

"Exactly !"
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    :))

-So Who will be driving What?
    -Yes, that's correct.
    -You're not answering the question!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,554
    Since62 wrote: »
    I can see the press meeting now..."Here we are, to announce the actor who will portray James Bond in the next Bond film !"

"Well, who is it ?"

"Yes"

"Who ?"

"Exactly"

"Yes. Who."

"Yes."

"Wait, WHAT ?"

"Exactly !"

Brilliant! 😁
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 15,818

"Well, who is it ?"

"Yes"

"Who ?"

"Exactly"

"Yes. Who."

"Yes."

"Wait, WHAT ?"

"Exactly !"

"Exactly? He's playing the villain. We're not talking about him!"

"Who?"

"Exactly!"
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »

"Well, who is it ?"

"Yes"

"Who ?"

"Exactly"

"Yes. Who."

"Yes."

"Wait, WHAT ?"

"Exactly !"

"Exactly? He's playing the villain. We're not talking about him!"

"Who?"

"Exactly!"

Michael Wilson: Ladies of the gentlemen of the press, thank you.
    Reporter #1: You?
    Reporter #2: Hugh Brown, he's the organizer of the event.

Yeah, I'm gonna go watch Police Squad now.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    slide_99 wrote: »
    2048x2730-idris-elba-style-esquire-6-43-jpg-f32cd1f0.jpg?resize=480:*

"Greetings, I'm Russian nuclear scientist Mikhail Arkoff."

"This man isn't Dr Arkoff, Dr Arkoff is...."
    "Don't say it!"
    "... 63, I was going to say Dr Arkoff is 63."
    Anyone recall Flesh Gordon ? There was a rocket scientist doctor with a funny spoof name...
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,161
    Anyone recall Flesh Gordon ? There was a rocket scientist doctor with a funny spoof name...

I loved it. My friend and I went back and saw it three times, but we were only like 14, so we had to finagle our way in each time! Dr. Flexy Jerkoff.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,378
  • JustJamesJustJames London
    *shrug*
    It fits the pattern going back thirty or forty years.
    Cavil was second place to Craig, got to be favourite now.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    JustJames wrote: »
    *shrug*
    It fits the pattern going back thirty or forty years.
    Cavil was second place to Craig, got to be favourite now.

Cavill is Superman. Few people would look at the screen and see him as James Bond. Similar fate for Robert Pattinson, who would have made a good James Bond, but now he's Batman.

Controversial opinion:
    Henry Cavill is too old to play Superman.
    That said, he's now the perfect age to play Bond.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,911
    Actually I don't think there is such a pattern of the second choice getting the role subsequently. Brosnan was one of many who was considered in the 80s (honestly, Sam Neil and James Brolin came much closer than he did to getting the part at this time). There seems to be a claim going around that Dalton was considered for OHMSS which I'm not even sure is true. Same with Moore in the 60s - I'm not sure if the claim that Fleming wanted him for the role is accurate. Both were certainly on the producer's lists by the mid 80s/early 70s respectively, but as I said so were Neil, Brolin, Brosnan, Cary Grant, Richard Johnson, David Niven and many others throughout the years.

My point is there's no natural successor when it comes to Bond. Henry Cavill certainly doesn't fit that mould, as much as he seems like a nice guy going from interviews. His PR team really need to stop trying to drum this false hype up. It's embarrassing, or at least will be if the likeliest scenario occurs, that being he doesn't get the role.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Cavill is the acting equivalent of watching paint dry. He's very attractive paint, but he's still paint.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,932
    Dalton himself's said that EON asked him to play Bond, but he thought he was too young and also that it'd be 'a really dumb idea' to try to follow Connery. The bit about following Connery means that Dalton can only have been asked to be Bond for either OHMSS or LALD, no? Of the two, I'd've liked to have seen him do OHMSS - although the young Tim's saturnine brooding would've altered it somewhat.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    The ad suggests to me that Cavill isn't going to be the next Bond. I think he'd make a pretty decent Bond in the Brosnan mould, but I am now sure he's resigned to not getting it.

Regé-Jean Page impressed me when I saw him in Bridgerton, and I immediately thought if they were gong to go for a black Bond he would be a great choice, but I don't think it's going to be him either. His comments about "to break down the boundaries of what is considered normal, and do away with labels - gay, straight..." make me think he's probably bi, and I suspect Eon are nervous about the idea of casting a non-hetro male as Bond.

Mind you, I wouldn't feel confident on putting money down on any particular actor not getting the part any more than I'd feel confident betting on a particular actor to land the role. I really don't know which way Eon will jump with the next film: lighter, darker, grittier, more fantastic... I think they're all possibilities at the moment. That goes for the actors, too.

Venutius wrote: »
    Dalton himself's said that EON asked him to play Bond, but he thought he was too young and also that it'd be 'a really dumb idea' to try to follow Connery. The bit about following Connery means that Dalton can only have been asked to be Bond for either OHMSS or LALD, no? Of the two, I'd've liked to have seen him do OHMSS - although the young Tim's saturnine brooding would've altered it somewhat.

Hmm, maybe I just haven't seen it verified. Then again this was the late 60s and Cubby's more informal casting process of meeting his lead actors at parties probably had something to do with this. I've heard stories of actors like Michael Gambon and Terence Stamp talking with producers about the role around this time too. I'm not sure if Dalton was auditioned or anything, and it might be the wording, but I think it's more likely he was invited to an audition rather than outright play the part. Regardless, neither him or Brosnan were the second choices.

I think Dalton may have been correct - 23 is too young for the role. Personally, however, with a few years on him I think he could have done well in OHMSS. Bond is meant to be more jaded in that story and I feel Dalton's brooding is better suited to it than Lazenby's more youthful take on the role (this is especially there in the odd resignation scene I feel). I do think they needed a more brooding Bond for that film anyway - someone not doing an impression of Connery as I feel Lazenby defaults to in that film. I've said before I'd have loved to see a version of OHMSS with someone like Oliver Reed (although maybe it's best he didn't do it - man sounded like a nightmare)... or Christopher Plummer, although I suspect he was too famous.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    If they're going to change Bond's race, then they might as well just adopt the codename theory. If Bond isn't a Scottish-descended Englishman then the name is effectively a meaningless label for a spy who works for MI6.
    If they're going to change Bond's race, then they might as well just adopt the codename theory. If Bond isn't a Scottish-descended Englishman then the name is effectively a meaningless label for a spy who works for MI6.

I suppose there are many options in terms of changing Bond's ethnicity: codename theory, have Bond undergo gene therapy a'la DIE ANOTHER DAY, or change the character's backstory history within the plot of the film.

The easiest route might be to not make the race change integral to the plot and give us a typical Bond film a'la OCTOPUSSY. The actor playing Bond just happens to be of a different ethnic background. I expect that would be the route Eon would go.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,965
    007HallY wrote: »
    Actually I don't think there is such a pattern of the second choice getting the role subsequently. Brosnan was one of many who was considered in the 80s (honestly, Sam Neil and James Brolin came much closer than he did to getting the part at this time).

No they didn’t: Brosnan got the part, unlike those two. He was signed on and they went ahead with the film with him cast and announced as 007. He was the first choice.

Because all Scotsmen and Englishmen are white? I’m literally just back from a drink with my friend who would very much prove that incorrect.