Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm torn on it. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to see McGregor and Chritensen reprise their roles. If we're really being honest to the timeline though, this series should realistically be a bore. Obi-Wan is the most wanted man in the galaxy and he shouldn't be doing anything but laying low in the desert. He must be there for Luke when the time comes. Everything depends on it.

So even though Obi-Wan is a stealthy guy and can use his mind tricks to get himself out of jam, I don't think he would ever leave the planet. The risk of detection is too great. And he certainly wouldn't be having any lightsaber duels with Darth Vader. With that being said, I would be willing to overlook certain things if the series is entertaining enough. After all, we're talking about the guy who changed his name to Ben Kenobi and didn't think anyone would find anything suspicious about it. Maybe Kenobi is a common last name?

In all seriousness though, I really do hope this is good. Would love to see a cameo from Liam Neeson as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mtm wrote: »
    John Williams has written the theme tune for it, which is lovely news.

Has he ever done anything for tv before? I can t think of anything.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Williams did the theme for the Amazing Stories anthology show.

William did lost in Space I believe

I also believe I am sick to the back teeth of tattooine. For a quiet out of the way planet everything seems to happen here.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 5,800
    Lost in Space, The time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Checkmate, among others. . No wonder Irwin Allen called him to do the score for Towering Inferno.

EDIT : And he was also the composer for that infamous Heidi TV movie of 1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game
    Aha, thanks for the answers. I never saw any of those shows.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    William did lost in Space I believe

I also believe I am sick to the back teeth of tattooine. For a quiet out of the way planet everything seems to happen here.

Same here! I’m just so sick of Tatooine and similar looking desert planets in the Disney Star Wars era!

To be fair Lucas was just as guilty of that.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,263
    They are certainly getting some mileage out of the Tatooine sets. Saving money there.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    [quote="Thunderfing
    They are certainly getting some mileage out of the Tatooine sets. Saving money there.

The spice must flow.
    To be fair Lucas was just as guilty of that.

Not so much as the Disney era.Lucas gave us unique worlds in each of his films and especially let his imagination fly in the prequels ( We got a water planet,a volcano planet,a city planet,and other great environments ).

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If you make an Obi Wan or Boba Fett show you kind of have to show Tattooine, there’s not much wriggle room there.
    If you make an Obi Wan or Boba Fett show you kind of have to show Tattooine, there’s not much wriggle room there.

With Fett I don’t think they needed to set the show in Tatooine beyond an appearance of escaping the pit. With Obi-Wan, yeah, he’s pretty much a resident for his final 20 years.

There was less of an excuse for the prequels returning to Tattoooine. Why did Anakin have to have been born there, made 3PO? Why is Jabba hosting a race?

Lucas brought a lot of new elements in the prequels, so it’s odd that he indulged in what felt like fanboy crap like having Boba Fett be the son of a bounty hunter that also served as the basis of the clone army. Chewbacca fighting alongside Yoda.

Disney no doubt pandered, but it’s funny how fans sort of forget Lucas not only did the same thing in his films but was even called out on it. But no, only Disney is guilty and apparently the prequels were always “good” according to millenials.

edited February 2022 Posts: 17,687

With Fett I don’t think they needed to set the show in Tatooine beyond an appearance of escaping the pit. With Obi-Wan, yeah, he’s pretty much a resident for his final 20 years.

There was less of an excuse for the prequels returning to Tattoooine. Why did Anakin have to have been born there, made 3PO? Why is Jabba hosting a race?

Lucas brought a lot of new elements in the prequels, so it’s odd that he indulged in what felt like fanboy crap like having Boba Fett be the son of a bounty hunter that also served as the basis of the clone army. Chewbacca fighting alongside Yoda.

Disney no doubt pandered, but it’s funny how fans sort of forget Lucas not only did the same thing in his films but was even called out on it. But no, only Disney is guilty and apparently the prequels were always “good” according to millenials.

I agree, the prequels (as much as I like the 3rd one) are full of retconning nonsense & re-visiting BS. If you want to enjoy anything Star Wars (outside of the near perfect Rogue One & first two Mandalorian seasons) you need to relax quite a bit.... ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah I think it’s just that if you’re going to complain about too much Tattooine then the Obi Wan series isn’t the point at which to do that, because there’s not much option for that to be based anywhere else.

With Boba Fett, I do think him losing his armour and being effectively stranded is a decent and reasonable starting point- having your hero on the back foot is a valid way to open a story. A bigger question perhaps is why Lucas set the opening of Return of the Jedi there. There’s probably much less reason. The only real link is probably Han owing Jabba money in the first one, but even then I don’t think there’s any reason that Jabba has to be based there.

Yeah I think it’s just that if you’re going to complain about too much Tattooine then the Obi Wan series isn’t the point at which to do that, because there’s not much option for that to be based anywhere else.

With Boba Fett, I do think him losing his armour and being effectively stranded is a decent and reasonable starting point- having your hero on the back foot is a valid way to open a story. A bigger question perhaps is why Lucas set the opening of Return of the Jedi there. There’s probably much less reason. The only real link is probably Han owing Jabba money in the first one, but even then I don’t think there’s any reason that Jabba has to be based there.

Jabba was one-planet lowlife with a bank account.
    chrisisall wrote: »

I agree, the prequels (as much as I like the 3rd one) are full of retconning nonsense & re-visiting BS. If you want to enjoy anything Star Wars (outside of the near perfect Rogue One & first two Mandalorian seasons) you need to relax quite a bit.... ;)

It’s funny that the first two films (ANH/TESB) are universally (or at least nearly) embraced by fandom. Starting with ROTJ, contemporarily speaking, it’s like fans have been divided ever since. Even THE MANDALORIAN has its detractors.

This is why you always hear the phrase “best since EMPIRE”, because that’s an admission that not everyone has been pleased with what’s come out since that first sequel.

It’s funny that the first two films (ANH/TESB) are universally (or at least nearly) embraced by fandom. Starting with ROTJ, contemporarily speaking, it’s like fans have been divided ever since. Even THE MANDALORIAN has its detractors.

This is why you always hear the phrase “best since EMPIRE”, because that’s an admission that not everyone has been pleased with what’s come out since that first sequel.

I loved Empire as much as Jedi. Don't like teddy bears? Don't watch. Empire had them breathing through flimsy masks in a near vacuum.
    It's all good in space fantasy.
    Except Jar Jar....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Jabba was one-planet lowlife with a bank account.

Well not really: he had a bounty on Han which reached out as far as Bespin. So the opening of RotJ could have been set anywhere.
    It’s already established that Jabba resides at Tattooine in the first two films. The ending in EMPIRE even has Luke confirming with Lando to rendezvous on Tattooine to rescue Han. So I wouldn’t put that on ROTJ. If Lucas wanted he could have changed it and began the movie by saying “Jabba relocated his residence”, but he stuck to what he already established.

I actually don’t mind Tattooine being revisited in ROTJ because it sort of works as a nice symmetry for Luke’s arc in the trilogy. When he left the planet in ANH, he was only a farm boy that hadn’t even had his first lesson. So when we see him back on Tattooine in ROTJ, it shows us how far he’s come since he left the planet years before. He’s on the verge of becoming a Jedi.

If Lucas had left it at that as far as reusing locations, I think that’s fine. However, he did not have to rehash the Death Star all over again. That’s the ding I’ll give ROTJ for feeling the least original. It didn’t even need to be a Death Star, since it never blows up any planets. It could have just been Coruscant with the rebels storming the capitol, with Luke fighting Vader at the Emperor’s palace.

Interestingly, we almost got something like that for TROS! But then JJ Abrams got hired and scrapped the entire thing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It’s already established that Jabba resides at Tattooine in the first two films. The ending in EMPIRE even has Luke confirming with Lando to rendezvous on Tattooine to rescue Han. So I wouldn’t put that on ROTJ. If Lucas wanted he could have changed it and began the movie by saying “Jabba relocated his residence”, but he stuck to what he already established.

I actually don’t mind Tattooine being revisited in ROTJ because it sort of works as a nice symmetry for Luke’s arc in the trilogy. When he left the planet in ANH, he was only a farm boy that hadn’t even had his first lesson. So when we see him back on Tattooine in ROTJ, it shows us how far he’s come since he left the planet years before. He’s on the verge of becoming a Jedi.

I don't mind it either, but then I don't mind the TV shows being set there.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 1,314
    Just thinking how often we go to tattooine. The planet the farthest from the bright centre to the universe.

Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 6
    Episode 9 (although jakku is tattooine rebooted in episode 7)

The Mandolorian
    Book of boba fett

Kenobi

Think that’s it…
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Just thinking how often we go to tattooine. The planet the farthest from the bright centre to the universe.

To be fair, it was Luke that made that comment, and I wouldn’t take his word given how biased he was. The dork didn’t even know who his father was.
    What of it? Bond has reused the same location in every single film. Even MR stayed in the vicinity of that planet.
    I disagree that the Obi Wan show has to be set primarily on Tatooine.There is a lot of time between Episodes 3 and 4.They could have used that era to have Obi Wan leave Tatooine to deal with a different threat.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've been rewatching all the Star Wars films (sans spin-offs and whatnot), finally got up to The Last Jedi yesterday (one of only two I haven't seen) and while it's not the worst one of the franchise, I can certainly see the multitude of reasons why fans were hating on it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    In Obi Wan its likely we will see Luke growing up over a period of time, that's my guess. Luke always knew who Old Ben Kenobi was, we are likely to see a lot of interactions and I am sure Disney wonlt be discouraged to do some retconnjng.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,921
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've been rewatching all the Star Wars films (sans spin-offs and whatnot), finally got up to The Last Jedi yesterday (one of only two I haven't seen) and while it's not the worst one of the franchise, I can certainly see the multitude of reasons why fans were hating on it.

Yeah I'd put most of the prequels below it, but it commits the worst possible sin for a SW movie for my money: it's quite boring.
    Plus it turns all of those characters you liked in the first one into selfish, charmless idiots.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2022 Posts: 40,449
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah I'd put most of the prequels below it, but it commits the worst possible sin for a SW movie for my money: it's quite boring.

I gave all the prequels a 1.5/5, except for AOTC, which got a 2 (as did TLJ). It's bizarre because TLJ has some of the cooler moments in the series but a TON of poor fan service, plot armor, and glaring issues and situations that made no sense (there's a bit with Finn and Rose and the "near decapitation" scene with Captain Phasma that was so hilariously bad, I couldn't believe the gaps of logic in it).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit I struggle to remember any cool moments in it. What also wound me up with it is that the jokes all feel strained and overworked and all fell really flat (for me anyway, I get that's a very subjective thing). Poe's little funny and witty bit of defiant humour when he pretends he can't understand what Kylo is saying in Force Awakens becomes a clumsy and slightly leaden whole sequence in TLJ where he pretends he can't heard the Imperials over the radio etc.

The weird thing is, if Knives Out had come out before TLJ with its rather sparkling, light wit and charismatic, charming characters, I'd have been really excited for that director to do a Star Wars film. But they feel like the work of different people to me.