Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t think many of you ever saw this connection between DAF and ANH.

• I don’t think many of you ever saw this connection between DAF and ANH.

I knew I heard that scream from somewhere! :)) good one!
    As part of a deal, I agreed to give CLONE WARS a watch.

Currently watching the 2008 film.

bad-deal-this-deal-is-getting-worse.gif
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Book of Boba Fett Episode 1, interesting opening they certainly went there, the reality is this show already looks a step or two below The Mandalorian in quality and lacks authenticity at times, though the trailers had already hinted at that.

If this does not improve quick it will be a dud for sure. Despite its short run time I got bored the acting was flat and not sure what they were thinking with the monster near the end. Rodriguez is often hit and miss, not much character depth here at all.
    Watched the first 5 mins will watch it later with the kids. Although there’s been 6 call backs already which people seem to obsess over. I find it a little irritating tbh. Just wish they had the balls to plough their own furrow with Star Wars.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,314
    Things like the jawa dialogue being identical to episode 4 is just silly.
  • I liked it.. But agreed it was quite a bit weaker than say, the first episode of The Mandalorian.
    It just seems pointless to make a Boba Fett show when we already have THE MANDALORIAN which provided a far more interesting protagonist. And I just hate that they retconned Fett’s death. It’s a trend in Star Wars I’ll no longer tolerate.
  • Hopefully by the end of the 7th episode we have learned the point of the show. Rather than just more $$$ for Disney.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Book of Boba Fett Episode 2, continues to feel flat, its really lacking something its borderline fan film/parody at times.

I think the show is attempting to make the viewer care, its not working for me its committing the worst sin in TV and Film, its boring..
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    Book of Boba Fett Episode 2, continues to feel flat, its really lacking something its borderline fan film/parody at times.

I think the show is attempting to make the viewer care, its not working for me its committing the worst sin in TV and Film, its boring..

I'm not bored at all...I think they are making a good attempt at reengaging the older fan base. Favreau is doing a great job of writing these and bringing in the EU stuff...there has only been one episode, give it a chance to pick up pace, it's a TV series not a movie.
    KenAustin wrote: »

I'm not bored at all...I think they are making a good attempt at reengaging the older fan base. Favreau is doing a great job of writing these and bringing in the EU stuff...there has only been one episode, give it a chance to pick up pace, it's a TV series not a movie.

There has been two episodes and I have watched them both, this falls well short of The Mandalorian in quality on just about every level.

I watched the Original Star Wars Trilogy back in the 70's and 80's hundreds of times and then some, The Book of Boba Fett is more like the Prequel Trilogy rather than the Original. I like the Prequels admittedly though Book of Boba... for me is lazy and dull.

I haven’t watched the 2nd episode but I thought the first was mediocre. It highlighted for me that the mandolorian has already filled that gap in Star Wars for intriguing man in cool armour.

Everyone goes on about how Boba fett is a cool character. Really? Why? “He’s badass” really? Why? He has 3 lines in the original trilogy.

He’s nothing more than a costume imo
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I haven’t watched the 2nd episode but I thought the first was mediocre. It highlighted for me that the mandolorian has already filled that gap in Star Wars for intriguing man in cool armour.

Everyone goes on about how Boba fett is a cool character. Really? Why? “He’s badass” really? Why? He has 3 lines in the original trilogy.

Some of the EU novels and comics give quite a lot more development to the character
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I just finished episode 2 of The Book of Boba Fett. Episode one, I’ll admit, was pretty dull and somewhat disappointing. I wasn't itching for more like I was after watching The Mandalorian. I was left feeling just meh. I even forgot that a new episode came out today until I randomly remembered.
    Episode 2 however was much better. The pacing and the action were pretty damn good. While it’s interesting to see how Boba got from Return of the Jedi to season 2 of the Mandalorian, I’m more than ready to see him rule as a crime lord and how he fights for his power. I just hope they don’t do something stupid like he’s only doing this to bring peace or to help out the Tusken Raiders or something. It’s okay for him to remain an antihero.

Some of the EU novels and comics give quite a lot more development to the character

Not a lot of people delved into that stuff.

This is a problem I had with certain EU stuff coming into S2 of THE MANDALORIAN. The show assumes I already like Ahsoka or those armored characters that pop up, so it doesn’t think it needs to do any work for it.

I never bothered with any of the animated junk, so Ahsoka literally means nothing to me, and the show is just wasting my time assuming I’m already invested in characters I don’t care about.

It’s even worse for Boba Fett, because in the OT he was definitively a bad guy and was meant to be killed off. Now this show is apparently trying claim he has an honor code and that makes him okay? That’s BS.

If they wanna make a redemptive story for Boba Fett, at least pair him up with Dolly from MOONRAKER.
    ^ totally agree. SW is the films to me. I didn’t even know who Ashoka was. But I liked the mandolorian very much.

This is just mediocre this far. Boba is about as edgy as a sphere and now seems to be another thief with a heart of gold. Describe his character based on empire and Jedi, even the holiday special, then do it based on this and the two are poles apart.

Not a lot of people delved into that stuff.

This is a problem I had with certain EU stuff coming into S2 of THE MANDALORIAN. The show assumes I already like Ahsoka or those armored characters that pop up, so it doesn’t think it needs to do any work for it.

I never bothered with any of the animated junk, so Ahsoka literally means nothing to me, and the show is just wasting my time assuming I’m already invested in characters I don’t care about.

It’s even worse for Boba Fett, because in the OT he was definitively a bad guy and was meant to be killed off. Now this show is apparently trying claim he has an honor code and that makes him okay? That’s BS.

If they wanna make a redemptive story for Boba Fett, at least pair him up with Dolly from MOONRAKER.

Considering the fact that there were 15 years between ROTJ and TFM there were no films to fill in the blanks or continue the magic for the fans who stuck around. I see nothing wrong with the additional content. I don't disagree that the original content was designed to be a film and not a book but creators filled a need to help develop characters better for fans of the characters that were not the main cast. The Mandalorian itself is literally "fill in the blank" content for the space between ROTJ and TFA. So in essence it is the EU whether you want to admit that or not.
    All that is fine. However, why couldn’t they just make a Boba Fett show set before his death in ROTJ? Why undo that death?

Retconning deaths has become one of the worst traits of this franchise.

Funnily, I’d happily accept Ben Solo’s death undone. But that’s more due to the actor being that good and Ben Solo having more potential. That was never really there with Boba Fett or Darth Maul. They were just cool henchmen that died like all henchmen are supposed to. And as much as I like Ian McDiarmid, having Palpatine come back from the dead was a pointless endeavor as well.
    All that is fine. However, why couldn’t they just make a Boba Fett show set before his death in ROTJ? Why undo that death?

Funnily, I’d happily accept Ben Solo’s death undone. But that’s more due to the actor being that good and Ben Solo having more potential. That was never really there with Boba Fett or Darth Maul. They were just cool henchmen that died like all henchmen are supposed to. And as much as I like Ian McDiarmid, having Palpatine come back from the dead was a pointless endeavor as well.

Well there was a novel written not long after ROTJ that explained how Bobe Fett did not die which was outlined exactly in Episode 1 of The Book of Boba Fett...additionally, there were several novels written prior to TFA about Han and Leia's children and the sequal trilogy crapped all over that continuity...so honestly at this point it is all about taking sides on which content you just happen to like. The movie industry these days seems just as good at dividing as the politicians are.

Well there was a novel written not long after ROTJ that explained how Bobe Fett did not die which was outlined exactly in Episode 1 of The Book of Boba Fett.

It was a bad idea then, it’s a bad idea now,

Well there was a novel written not long after ROTJ that explained how Bobe Fett did not die which was outlined exactly in Episode 1 of The Book of Boba Fett.

It was a bad idea then, it’s a bad idea now,

Fair enough, you'll just have to wait for TV or movie episodes that won't provide you with fully developed characters that you can "discuss" in forum posts later :)
    I’ve said there’s nothing wrong with that. I would have just preferred that kind of fleshing out shown at a period BEFORE his death. There’s no reason to not set this during his rise as a bounty hunter. I’m sure EU has covered that enough for a new show to adapt on screen.
    I’ve said there’s nothing wrong with that. I would have just preferred that kind of fleshing out shown at a period BEFORE his death. There’s no reason to not set this during his rise as a bounty hunter. I’m sure EU has covered that enough for a new show to adapt on screen.

The problem is not with Boba Fett, Jabba explained that the Sarlacc digests its victims over a thousand years, what you have to take into account is that Beskar armor is the hardest substance known in the SW universe for armor, which is why the Empire exploited and nearly destroyed Mandalore to acquire it for ship building. The Sarlacc was not going to be able to digest it which is how he survived...it was explained in the novel as well as outlined in episode 1. Perfectly logical when you take it all into account...now it would have been a different story had he been killed before he fell into the pit.
    Agreed. It’s the galaxy of zero consequences.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I don't mind that he's come back from the pit, but the whole "crime lord of Tatooine" thing with his helmet constantly off is not grabbing me.

All of the stuff with the Tuskens, prior to the events of The Mandalorian, I think is great.
    Yeah but is bobas defining character trait honour? Doing the right thing? That’s what it’s been so far. He might as well be the mandolorian.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    The Book of Luke Skywalker with Mark Hamill would have been a much more interesting show or even Movie.
    What happens to Luke after ROTJ.
    He is one of motion pictures greatest heroes.
    Not the garbage they portrayed him as in the sequels, living on a deserted island on his own didn't do him justice.