It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• QBranch wrote: »
    Just on the topic of the photo, there were actually two photos of Vesper with Yusef seen in the file. Two slightly different photos from the same shoot. You can just see a bit of the second one underneath, a slightly different pose. I've never been able to track down the second one online.

It just goes to show that this movie has a whole world in itself of undiscovered material....this has the potential for both fans and non-fans to have second thoughts that QoS was just a mistake.

As for a potential tv show....no 007 in it at all....a Felix and Beam spinoff could have worked...the chemistry between the actors was good. It wasn't as offsetting as the Boris clone from NTTD.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Bet that photo session with Eva Green is still the greatest day of that bloke's life...
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Bet that photo session with Eva Green is still the greatest day of that bloke's life...

I'm not sure....he didn't seem to respond to any of the fans here when I gave them his email address....

His presence in a future Bond movie would have been phenomenal to test the character. @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 mentioned about how interesting it would be to see how Bond would have the ability to choose a professional collaboration to gain more info on Quantum/Spectre vs punishing Yusef.

In ways, it could be that Bond was just so disgusted with the way Yusef was able to honeytrap his way to Vesper so much that he didn't want to see the guy. Neither did Bond want to carry this guy's necklace anymore as he hadn't get over Vesper at the end of QoS as we could see in NTTD simply by dropping it in the snow to show M he is detached.
    He was so stunned from Eva leaning against him that he couldn't remember what an email was. Probably.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    He was so stunned from Eva leaning against him that he couldn't remember what an email was. Probably.

The peak of his career....until Bond showed up in Kazaan...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Simon's a good-looking guy, I'm sure he's had his fair share of Bond girl level women.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited February 2022 Posts: 538
    my top 5 favorite bond actors:

Split-image-of-Dnaiel-Craig-as-James-Bond-in-each-of-his-movies-posters.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500&dpr=1.5
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    QBranch wrote: »
    Simon's a good-looking guy, I'm sure he's had his fair share of Bond girl level women.

And he’s also now been in Star Wars and the MCU.
    Never mind a successful career - Eva Green once leant up against him for three seconds...that's the peak on the highpoint at the apex of the pinnacle of a life, right there! 😉
  • MeanwhileMeanwhile Brooklyn
    Uh, did he want his email address shared?
  • Meanwhile wrote: »
    Uh, did he want his email address shared?
    He did share it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    M16_Cart wrote: »

Split-image-of-Dnaiel-Craig-as-James-Bond-in-each-of-his-movies-posters.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500&dpr=1.5

Damn he really did look great in QOS. All that work with the director writing it during the strike & no time for a haircut... longer hair softens his features.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Damn he really did look great in QOS. All that work with the director writing it during the strike & no time for a haircut... longer hair softens his features.

He might as well have shaved his head for SF....it's like you could tell he was trying to make the anti-QoS with that film lol....but the subject of Vesper kept coming back up and would eventually catch up.....

Here's an idea for a QoS DVD re-release: use Shirley Bassey's No Good About GoodBye....it uses a lot of the background tones you hear in the scene transitions throughout the current cut of the film where Bond travels from one place to another and also when he mentions Vesper by name for once at the end.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Agreed.
    chrisisall wrote: »

He might as well have shaved his head for SF....it's like you could tell he was trying to make the anti-QoS with that film lol....but the subject of Vesper kept coming back up and would eventually catch up.....

Here's an idea for a QoS DVD re-release: use Shirley Bassey's No Good About GoodBye....it uses a lot of the background tones you hear in the scene transitions throughout the current cut of the film where Bond travels from one place to another and also when he mentions Vesper by name for once at the end.

My hot take is No Good About Goodbye doesn't really work that well with the visuals of the QoS titles sequence. It's a great song and I agree with you about the cues, but personally I think they'd have to change the visuals if they change the song.
    That would be a shame, because the visuals are great and quite underrated.
    That would be a shame, because the visuals are great and quite underrated.

Agreed. But I'm in the small camp that doesn't mind the current song, so I'm happy to have both remain.
    I like AWTD a lot, and more than the subsequent three.
    It kind of was the last up-beat theme, wasn't it. I was really hoping for another up-beat theme for NTTD, but alas.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Venutius wrote: »
    Never mind a successful career - Eva Green once leant up against him for three seconds...that's the peak on the highpoint at the apex of the pinnacle of a life, right there! 😉
    He should put it on his CV. It could be useful in casting processes.

"Yes, I know, Mr. Day-Lewis, you're a three-time Academy Award winner with over forty years of acting experience... but Simon got leaned on by Eva Green!"

The ransom amount has just doubled. I expect you to pay.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The ransom amount has just doubled. I expect you to pay.
    Would you settle for a frisbee?
    jack-white-and-alicia-keys-another-way-to-die-album-version-2008-2-cs.jpg
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t think Craig films continuing in the style of QOS was ever a thing that would happen. CR was the way it was because it was reflecting the tone and aesthetic of the novel, at least as much as a modern action-adventure film can. I never saw it as a reflection of what Craig’s entire tenure could be like. EON was always going to bring back Q, Moneypenny, the gadgets, etc. It was just a matter of time and seeing Bond’s character evolve and that’s part of why I liked Craig’s run.

You’re right that when Bond walks into the shadows in QOS and we never see that version of Bond again, that’s because this Bond has character growth. I don’t think I would have liked seeing Craig keep playing Bond Begins for his entire run. I didn’t even like how QOS tried to back pedal the ending of CR, which promised the imminent return of a classical Bond. It’s just delaying the inevitable.

So by the time we’re in SP and Craig is saying “good evening” to a passerby in Rome after parachuting out of his car, that just shows me how much this Bond has grown. He’s found a way to relax himself in a way he couldn’t in the earlier films. And I’m glad we got there. If Craig’s whole run simply repeated the tone and aesthetics of QOS, I would have stopped seeing these movies and I think large audiences would have too.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don’t think Craig films continuing in the style of QOS was ever a thing that would happen. CR was the way it was because it was reflecting the tone and aesthetic of the novel, at least as much as a modern action-adventure film can. I never saw it as a reflection of what Craig’s entire tenure could be like. EON was always going to bring back Q, Moneypenny, the gadgets, etc. It was just a matter of time and seeing Bond’s character evolve and that’s part of why I liked Craig’s run.

You’re right that when Bond walks into the shadows in QOS and we never see that version of Bond again, that’s because this Bond has character growth. I don’t think I would have liked seeing Craig keep playing Bond Begins for his entire run. I didn’t even like how QOS tried to back pedal the ending of CR, which promised the imminent return of a classical Bond. It’s just delaying the inevitable.

So by the time we’re in SP and Craig is saying “good evening” to a passerby in Rome after parachuting out of his car, that just shows me how much this Bond has grown. He’s found a way to relax himself in a way he couldn’t in the earlier films. And I’m glad we got there. If Craig’s whole run simply repeated the tone and aesthetics of QOS, I would have stopped seeing these movies and I think large audiences would have too.
    For me qos is that next step. 'there's something horribly efficient about you', Bond is definitely not the rookie anymore. I like his understated humour (handcuffs) and his sense of duty. Qos is about beeing the 'half monk half hitman' AND retaining a shimmer of humanity. It is also about trust. M can hardly believe Bond has made those steps. She states so In the hotel. All in all, QoS tells quite a complicated story in a short time. It doesn't prolong the rookie story, on the contrary. It shows Bond has learned and grown faster than his surroundings understood, and in that is more the prequel to skyfall than a sequel to CR.

For me qos is that next step. 'there's something horribly efficient about you', Bond is definitely not the rookie anymore. I like his understated humour (handcuffs) and his sense of duty. Qos is about beeing the 'half monk half hitman' AND retaining a shimmer of humanity. It is also about trust. M can hardly believe Bond has made those steps. She states so In the hotel. All in all, QoS tells quite a complicated story in a short time. It doesn't prolong the rookie story, on the contrary. It shows Bond has learned and grown faster than his surroundings understood, and in that is more the prequel to skyfall than a sequel to CR.

Well, THAT was extremely well put!
  • I don’t think Craig films continuing in the style of QOS was ever a thing that would happen...

With CR's ending I really was expecting Craig's Bond to be Bond now and get on with the straightforward, formula-driven missions. When QOS came out and I realized it was Bond Begins, Part 2, I figured "Okay, now he's Bond and it'll be down to business and back to formula with the next one." When SF came out and we somehow went from rookie Bond to Bond being washed up and past it to Bond standing in the classic M office with all the proper pieces in place at last, I figured finally they've established Craig's Bond and we can get on with things. After SP, I realized we just weren't going to get a good old-fashioned, standalone, formula-driven Bond film from Craig and knew just what to expect heading into NTTD. (Or at least I thought I did.) The Craig era has been an interesting experiment and the first three of his films are among my favorites, but I'll be relieved to get back to formula again.
    For me qos is that next step. 'there's something horribly efficient about you', Bond is definitely not the rookie anymore. I like his understated humour (handcuffs) and his sense of duty. Qos is about beeing the 'half monk half hitman' AND retaining a shimmer of humanity. It is also about trust. M can hardly believe Bond has made those steps. She states so In the hotel. All in all, QoS tells quite a complicated story in a short time. It doesn't prolong the rookie story, on the contrary. It shows Bond has learned and grown faster than his surroundings understood

Nailed it.
    The Craig era has been an interesting experiment and the first three of his films are among my favorites, but I'll be relieved to get back to formula again.
    Oh my. A decade & a half for three (two by my count) great movies.
    My friends, we are witnessing the end of a franchise. Mission Impossible is waning too.
    Spy movies are going the way of the dodo.
    @ EON: do 50's/60's period Bond movies, or sell the franchise to those who can.
    The most realistic & recent anti-Bond movie moment was in DAD when Bond's picture was taken by Zao. Internet killed the radio Bond....
    IMHO Bond movies are not viable anymore unless they exist in their own universe, or change Bond into a computer guy, or do period stuff, or (Oh no) go full on science fiction Bond.....

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    You know what happens when people start claiming “this is the end for Bond”, right? He comes back bigger than ever.

Every. Single. Time.
    You know what happens when people start claiming “this is the end for Bond”, right? He comes back bigger than ever.

Every. Single. Time.

*nodds* Yeah.
    I was just whining. It's late.
    In the UK, a lot of people seemed to be particularly invested in Daniel Craig's Bond - Dan really did seem to make Bond legitimately 'cool' again and it'll be interesting to see how Craig's general audience takes to the new guy. Or doesn't. EON have got their work cut out to maintain the kudos that Craig brought and whoever the new guy will be, there'll be more pressure on him than anybody in Bond since Lazenby. Interesting times and all that...
  • I don’t think Craig films continuing in the style of QOS was ever a thing that would happen...

With CR's ending I really was expecting Craig's Bond to be Bond now and get on with the straightforward, formula-driven missions. When QOS came out and I realized it was Bond Begins, Part 2, I figured "Okay, now he's Bond and it'll be down to business and back to formula with the next one." When SF came out and we somehow went from rookie Bond to Bond being washed up and past it to Bond standing in the classic M office with all the proper pieces in place at last, I figured finally they've established Craig's Bond and we can get on with things. After SP, I realized we just weren't going to get a good old-fashioned, standalone, formula-driven Bond film from Craig and knew just what to expect heading into NTTD. (Or at least I thought I did.) The Craig era has been an interesting experiment and the first three of his films are among my favorites, but I'll be relieved to get back to formula again.

SP was formula driven.