Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

Defrosting your freezer can be a pain in the... arteries. I started this afternoon at 3 pm, and it's not over yet. Let's hope I manage to get it done before going to bed, otherwise... Let's just say I'll have a lot of food to throw away, something I really don't want.
    Update on the above situation : Well, it took much longer than I expected, and so, I'll have to throw all my frozen food in the garbage can, and replace it. Plus, one of my drawers is broken now. I'll have to get a replacement, if they still make that model. But now, my freezer is frost free. At least, for now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    Update on the above situation : Well, it took much longer than I expected, and so, I'll have to throw all my frozen food in the garbage can, and replace it. Plus, one of my drawers is broken now. I'll have to get a replacement, if they still make that model. But now, my freezer is frost free. At least, for now.

Most modern freezers have anti-frost technology built in. We suffered the same problem with our last one, but the one we have now doesn't ice up anymore. I think it might be worth the extra cash, @Gerard.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    We have a deep-freeze chest in our basement that is probably about 14 or 15 years old by now. We used to defrost it in winter (remember winter?). When it was minus 10 (that's Celsius, not Fahrenheit!) out there, so we could just put the food out in the cold and defrost the chest with a hairdryer and a dough-scraper. No longer. No outdoor temperature low enough for the last three years. Our additional refrigerator/freezer combination (although from a premium brand, and priced accordingly) doesn't help much either, since in spite of "no-frost", it's iced up inside so one can hardly close the freezer compartment door. Plus there are no instructions on defrosting it manually, since it's supposed to work automatically.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    defrost the chest with a hairdryer and a dough-scraper.

I still do this! Time moves slowly in the North of England...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,677
    Venutius wrote: »
    defrost the chest with a hairdryer and a dough-scraper.

I still do this! Time moves slowly in the North of England...

Apparently they do in the North of Germany as well.
    We have a deep-freeze chest in our basement that is probably about 14 or 15 years old by now. We used to defrost it in winter (remember winter?). When it was minus 10 (that's Celsius, not Fahrenheit!) out there, so we could just put the food out in the cold and defrost the chest with a hairdryer and a dough-scraper. No longer. No outdoor temperature low enough for the last three years. Our additional refrigerator/freezer combination (although from a premium brand, and priced accordingly) doesn't help much either, since in spite of "no-frost", it's iced up inside so one can hardly close the freezer compartment door. Plus there are no instructions on defrosting it manually, since it's supposed to work automatically.

The old ways are always the best : take out everything that's inside, then put a saucepan of boiling waer inside (after pulling the plug, of course). Repeat the operation until all ice is gone, using a scraper if and when necessary. Then, clean up the freezer, and put in what's can be salvaged, and put the plug in. That's what I did.
    Actually, the use of scraping tools is not advisable. Things go faster for sure, but the machine can be damaged in the process. A saucepan with boiling water and a ventilator blowing inside can help.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just put a picture of Ana de Armas in there. Throw in one of Olga Kurylenko as well if it s really frozen.
    Hottest-Pictures-Of-Ana-de-Armas-4.jpg
    olga-kurylenko-at-la-corrispondenza-photocall-in-rome-01-11-2016_10.jpg
    Just put a picture of Ana de Armas in there. Throw in one of Olga Kurylenko as well if it s really frozen.
    Hottest-Pictures-Of-Ana-de-Armas-4.jpg
    olga-kurylenko-at-la-corrispondenza-photocall-in-rome-01-11-2016_10.jpg

Now I AM melting TOO!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Again, you don't want to damage the machine.

Top-3-Reasons-To-Call-A-Refrigerator-Repair-Expert.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    This "letting off steam" thread is working for me.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,965
    Just want to complain to all those bloody brexiteers that the damage they've done is almost unbearable! I could only see NTTD once in the cinema thanks to a new round of COVID lockdowns. So I ordered the DVD in Britain as it was already available (and won't be available here for another two months) but first it takes them three weeks to get it out of Britain and 400 km across the channel, and now I've got to pay 6 euro's clearing cost on a 14 euro DVD, and wait another six (!) days for customs to decide that a DVD isn't a pack of illicit drugs.

Just want to complain to all those bloody brexiteers that the damage they've done is almost unbearable! I could only see NTTD once in the cinema thanks to a new round of COVID lockdowns. So I ordered the DVD in Britain as it was already available (and won't be available here for another two months) but first it takes them three weeks to get it out of Britain and 400 km across the channel, and now I've got to pay 6 euro's clearing cost on a 14 euro DVD, and wait another six (!) days for customs to decide that a DVD isn't a pack of illicit drugs.

How is it any better than illicit drugs?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I don't know, I still haven't got the package!
    My colour printer isn't working right now for some reason, so I guess it won't help to print out one of those Ana de Armas images and put them in the freezer...
    My colour printer isn't working right now for some reason, so I guess it won't help to print out one of those Ana de Armas images and put them in the freezer...

Then try putting yourself in the freezer. Worth a shot, right?

Which one, the dvd or the drugs?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Then try putting yourself in the freezer. Worth a shot, right?

As per Stewart Lee I always buy a multipack of massively reduced books when I'm out at Tescos and put the extra books in the freezer:

Neither of them. That's the problem. Having either the one or the other would make the wait on the other more bearable.

Neither of them. That's the problem. Having either the one or the other would make the wait on the other more bearable.

Well, guess what customs is doing right now on this Friday night?

hopefully, I still get the DVD then...

hopefully, I still get the DVD then...

That is the one thing you will get yes-later.

Customs, right now: Woah, customs dudes!!! :((
    is like, the bestest grooviest folm, ever!!! ;)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Yep, partly due to Bond and partly due to having lived there I have a fondness for all things British and have a couple of British brands as my standard for various things. In some cases because they truly are the best in the world at what they do. And I am in the slow process of switching away from many of them, because ordering directly from the UK has become an incredible hassle, returns you can completely forget about and finding stockists on the continent isn’t getting any easier either.

Really annoying.

It really does look like Brexit is a humongous mistake, isn't it, @CommanderRoss? I barely make any overseas purchases anymore, for obvious reasons. We got blasted back in time, with needless trouble at the border and empty stores in the UK. But hey, Farage is smiling and Johnson is partying, so I guess that's good.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It really does look like Brexit is a humongous mistake, isn't it, @CommanderRoss? I barely make any overseas purchases anymore, for obvious reasons. We got blasted back in time, with needless trouble at the border and empty stores in the UK. But hey, Farage is smiling and Johnson is partying, so I guess that's good.
    Yes, it must draw a lot of trade away from the isles. I'm for sure not ordering there anymore. Didn't do it often, but with dvds and books it was worth it, I never like the dvds for the continental market and somehow British issues of English language books often have something extra, but no more. This doesn't weigh up.
    I bought a lot of British DVDs/Blu-ray disks during the last twenty-some years, mostly at amazon.co.uk and what was then play.com, but in spite of being a total opponent of Brexit (as any sane-minded European should be), I find the effect of Brexit somewhat secondary in this regard. It's not as if I'm somehow cut off from buying original-version movies at all, only from a supplier who used to be sometimes and slightly cheaper than its German competitors (including its sister company). I suppose my financial loss from that does not translate into anything that should be considered evaluating Brexit economically. I think Brexit is stupid, but not for my "losses".
    Well, I will be taking my students to Dublin this year. Like hell we're going to pay for a visum. We're neighbors, for Christ's sake. Many Brits thought Brexit would bring them restored glory but it's empty shelves instead. I still love the British people, though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 13,894
    bbc-topic-mobile.jpg?strip=all&w=750&h=352&crop=1

kd5z259h2pg0.png

The best place for it, really. I am for the abolishment of the Paedo Subsidy Licence Fee, what it makes is modern, but it's business model is stick in a time of creepy middle-aged men hugging teenage girls on national tv. It's rotten to the core, just get rid of it. Hearing less from the likes of Gary Linnekar would be a bonus.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Well, I will be taking my students to Dublin this year. Like hell we're going to pay for a visum. We're neighbors, for Christ's sake. Many Brits thought Brexit would bring them restored glory but it's empty shelves instead. I still love the British people, though.

Interestingly, Ireland is still in the EU, so don't worry about that. Rayanair will fly you there for a couple of euro's.

My DVD still hasn't arrived yet. I think that's the thing that bothers me the most: how long it takes. Almost a month now. If I'd ordered it in China i'd already be here...