Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It doesn't help the victims of this unprovoked attack by a madman, but regarding this board I appreciate the fact that my opposition to it is supported by others, including some of the mods.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    It doesn't help the victims of this unprovoked attack by a madman, but regarding this board I appreciate the fact that my opposition to it is supported by others, including some of the mods.

100%. I’d do horrible things to the man if I had the chance. I am not nearly in the worst part of the suffering of this crisis compared to others, but it still weighs on me and makes me extremely frustrated more can’t be done to stop it. I’m really sensitive about people, even strangers to me, being hurt in any way. I cry at night sometimes just thinking about it. Innocents deserve better, the world is so messed up to be this way still especially.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FoxRox wrote: »

100%. I’d do horrible things to the man if I had the chance. I am not nearly in the worst part of the suffering of this crisis compared to others, but it still weighs on me and makes me extremely frustrated more can’t be done to stop it. I’m really sensitive about people, even strangers to me, being hurt in any way. I cry at night sometimes just thinking about it. Innocents deserve better, the world is so messed up to be this way still especially.

Thanks, @FoxRox. This is far beyond discussions about how bad a certain US President is, and which is why I hope this political discussion remains "allowed" (with all kudos to the mods). But this is about a head of state of a major power deliberately killing the subjects of a neighbouring country in order to topple its government and to (re-)gain control over it...just because previous generations of Russian strongmen did the same. The world has to stop this madness.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,161
    Terrible situation, and infuriating. Best of fortunes @CommanderRoss .
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The world has to stop this madness.

How? Devastating financial sanctions won’t stop him. The man is clearly out of his mind and doesn’t give a shit about the economy of his country. The fact that he’s kinda losing now doesn’t help and I’m fearing a further escalation. After a fake referendum, from today Belarus is officially open to let Russia bring nuclear weapons in their territory.

The Russians must stop him. It’s literally one man threatening the world.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I assume, @j_w_pepper, that most if not all members of this forum feel the same way, so I doubt that our sentiments will stir up much controversy this time. My comments regarding this issue, furthermore, aren't coming from a mod but from a fellow human being. I have seen the scars of war in my grandparents and great-grandparents, who spent 5 or even 9 years of their lives in a country, also occupied by an aggressive, oppressive regime from a neighbouring nation. So you can understand why I feel sorry for those who mock my pacifism, thinking that war is a good thing.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thanks for the support guys! Small update: mother in-law is back in her apartment. Couldn't sleep in the bombshelter (only sitting places, she's 64), my father-in-law works in the local hospital and seems to stay there /work there 24\7. He send a video of ambulances coming in one after the other. After a bit of a lull the fighting is back in the city, but a bit further away. This morning they were just one busstop away, now it's a couple of blocks. My wife's nephew (early twenties) has decided to join the city guard. He's got a 1y/o son. He's a brave man. Another cousin is with the military in the donbass region. And then we have further family and friends. For now, afawk, everybody is alive and ok. We're hoping it stays that way. We offered to pick a few up (women and children) but it's very dangerous for them to travel to the border, and not everyone wants to leave. If I could I'd join the fight, but I'm the only one earning for the family now and we've got a 3.5 y/o son to take care of.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Thank you for taking the time to keep us posted.
    All of us are pulling for you and your loved ones @CommanderRoss. Just reading all that, it makes me sick and sad and cannot understand how in the modern world this is how things can still be.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I don't know what to say @CommanderRoss. You and your loved ones are in my thoughts. Keep us posted.

While I'm normally a news junkie, this situation is so depressing that I've taken to consuming the news only in small doses in recent days. Without being too political, I don't know what is worse, the madman or those that attempt to justify his actions.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,627
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @CommanderRoss, I will join you in f-bombing putin. I'll even add that America's favourite self-serving talking orange with his complimenting remarks towards putin has now, hopefully, lost every bit of credit with his followers. But most of all, friend, I truly hope your family will get out of this unscathed. Please keep us posted.

If only that were true @DarthDimi. If only that were true.

Just this weekend we had two sitting members of the US congress attended a conference in which the host spoke favorably about Hitler. In the past (just 10 years ago or so), that would be the end of their political careers, but now........
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @CommanderRoss, I will join you in f-bombing putin. I'll even add that America's favourite self-serving talking orange with his complimenting remarks towards putin has now, hopefully, lost every bit of credit with his followers. But most of all, friend, I truly hope your family will get out of this unscathed. Please keep us posted.

If only that were true @DarthDimi. If only that were true.

Just this weekend we had two sitting members of the US congress attended a conference in which the host spoke favorably about Hitler. In the past (just 10 years ago or so), that would be the end of their political careers, but now........

It was sickening. And Marjorie Taylor Greene sinking even lower by associating herself with them.

My heart is with you @CommanderRoss
  • Suddenly, Siamese vodka doesn't seem so bad...
    How are your parents-in-law, @CommanderRoss? Have you heard from them?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @DarthDimi thanks for asking Dimi. I'm sorry but I'm not around much. For now both my parents in-law are safe. The Russians decided to bypass the city on their way north. In the villages however people took to the streets and stood in their way, in front of the tanks. They've 'arrested' quite a few Russian soldiers that way. Some are now still stuck in their armored cars and tanks, and they're running out of fuel and food. All the villages remained unoccupied this way. Ukrainians really have balls of steel. Friends who made it out of Kiev before the big attack are now hiding from rocket fire in Odesa. For tonight it all seems to be quiet though. Let's hope they'll all get at least one good night of sleep. Still feel for those in cherson. They've taken the brunt of the Russian attack, and still do. The Russian-language teacher of one of our friend's daughters lives there. She keeps on teaching through live video from her bathroom floor. She doesn't want to stop it as it takes her mind off of the fighting.
    I don't think there are many peoples in human history who've been this brave and resilliant.
    My thoughts and prayer are with you, @CommanderRoss . I hope your family stays safe.

My problems pale in comparison to everything going on in the world right now.
    Mostly work related. Last year I swore I'd NEVER AGAIN work overnight shifts, and right now I currently have a nice normal M-F 8-430 schedule. Weekends off.
    My new job, however, I'm indifferent to. It doesn't exactly suck, but I'm not too happy there. In fact I feel a little too old for it.
    Tomorrow I'm going back to my former employer to discuss a salary as my old overnight position will soon have an opening. I essentially got offered my old graveyard job back and I'm seriously contemplating this. Odd, how in the last few weeks I'd been feeling a bit homesick for that job and the environment.
    I feel like Connery having said NEVER AGAIN, and yet I'm leaning towards it.
    on a personal note I have Covid 19 and i feel like this is hell I cant even hug my own wife.... hopefully by saturday I have a clean bill of health
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    on a personal note I have Covid 19 and i feel like this is hell I cant even hug my own wife.... hopefully by saturday I have a clean bill of health

Get well soon. I hope your symptoms aren't too bad.

Apart from being tired and extremly depressed because I cant hug my wife i am ok
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Apart from being tired and extremly depressed because I cant hug my wife i am ok

So those are the symptoms now.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 5,812
    Right now, I'm on vacation for a fortnight in Britanny, and I left my cat at home with niblets, water and a clean litterbox. I wanted to make things easier for the person who is going to see to her while I'm away. Problem is, my cat wants only one brand of litter (at least, that's what my sister told me before leaving her in my care before her untimely demise (I have yet to tell tht tale, and may do so in the immediate future). Specifically that brand :

3263853471220_A1C1_01Which is found only in Franprix supermarkets.franprix-.jpg?itok=xStrt3FQ

There's one where I live, and usually, that's where I buy it. Trouble, right now, before leaving, there was a shortage of that brand in the local store. I tried to find it elsewhere, to no avail (well, there were quite a lot in Saint Ouen, but it's on the other side of Paris, quite far from where I live (two hours by train and subway). I bought a bag of the same brand, but not, I think the same composition. And I left clear instructions to my cat sitter to buy my cat's favourite brand as soon as it is available again. But still, I have enough reason to worry without adding any other, right ?

More serious this time : Right now, I'm on vacation in Britanny, home of my family. So, at the beginning of this week, my sister asked me to come and dine with them this friday (today). Turns out it's not going to be possible : my brother-in-law tested positive for CoVid-19. So, diner is posponed until next week. Damn ! Received no news from my nieces yet (maybe they thought they were going to see me today) so I don't know when, or if, I'll see them before going bact to Paris next week. I rented a car, but AFAIK, this time, it's not going to see much use, the way things are right now. (BLEEP)ing disease !
    I live right next to a railway station, and they have alerted the neighbours that they will be sweeping the area for the next two weeks. At night time. They say they are sorry they have to make some noise, and that they have alerted the local medical authorities. That is really helpful,I am so happy to hear that. :-w
    Gerard wrote: »
    More serious this time : Right now, I'm on vacation in Britanny, home of my family. So, at the beginning of this week, my sister asked me to come and dine with them this friday (today). Turns out it's not going to be possible : my brother-in-law tested positive for CoVid-19. So, diner is posponed until next week. Damn ! Received no news from my nieces yet (maybe they thought they were going to see me today) so I don't know when, or if, I'll see them before going bact to Paris next week. I rented a car, but AFAIK, this time, it's not going to see much use, the way things are right now. (BLEEP)ing disease !

Sorry to hear this. My solution: drown your sorrow. Thankfully Brittany has some great beers.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 1,351
    My girlfriend has been Covid-positive for 5 days now. It's not life threatening or anything, but she has been in pretty bad shape for the week. To keep me from infecting myself we have split the flat up, because as per her doctor the PCR result showed she was "unusually infectious". She stays in the living/dining-room and I have the office and the bedroom. In the kitchen and bathroom we wear masks. We FaceTime a lot, but haven't been in the same room since Monday. By the letter of the law I actually don't have to isolate, because I am vaccinated three times, but I couldn't square that with myself, so I also barely leave the flat either. No sports, no going to the office, very limited shopping for the bare necessities. My football club will have the first game with a full crowd since 2020 on Sunday. I had a ticket, but now can't go because I would potentially infect dozens of people, if I cought the damn thing, but didn't show any smptoms yet. In general, most compulsory anti-Covid measures here in Germany will end either today or over the weekend, just as the number of infections is as high as it has ever been. Just in my company, there are currently as many active cases as there had been in the previous two years combined. The government is all about "personal accountability" now, so we shelter in place and try to neither infect each other or anyone else.
    It's pretty annoying, to be honest. At times, I was sure I had already gotten it, because I had a bit of a sore throat, but all test come back negative. I already see myself getting it just as my girlfriend is allowed out of isolation, so we have to do the whole thing the other way around. But maybe we get through this. Once my girlfriend doesn't have symptoms anymore, she has to wait 48 hours and then could take a test to prove she is negative again. She still has full-on symptoms at the moment, so we are probably stuck like this until at least Tuesday, possibly even longer.

Edit: Scratch that. I'm positive, too. Great. At least we don't have to isolate from each other anymore.

Edit 2 to avoid double post:
    Also, I hate April Fools' Day. Good pranks can be very funny. When everyone tries to do the same prank on the same day it's just incredibly frustrating. Scrolling through twitter for about 3 minutes I've read 5 different ridiculous trades announced for the football club I support, plus a post that the coach has been fired and an additional 3 posts slagging of Daniel Craig (because I guess the person posting that actually likes him, but it's a prank, bro??!), plus random announcements of people retiring or changing jobs, which are kind of hard to identify as "pranks" because it is the first of the month and people tend to change jobs then. Plus, I work in academia and the new semester is starting so there are even more genuine notices of peoples promotions and such, but then also guys just saying 5 hours later "Oh actually, that was a joke, but thanks for all the mails and calls..." Like, what?
    Maybe I am just mad that I am gullible, but it's really just annoying.
    Edit: Scratch that. I'm positive, too. Great. At least we don't have to isolate from each other anymore.

Also, I hate April Fools' Day. Good pranks can be very funny. When everyone tries to do the same prank on the same day it's just incredibly frustrating. Scrolling through twitter for about 3 minutes I've read 5 different ridiculous trades announced for the football club I support, plus a post that the coach has been fired and an additional 3 posts slagging of Daniel Craig (because I guess the person posting that actually likes him, but it's a prank, bro??!), plus random announcements of people retiring or changing jobs, which are kind of hard to identify as "pranks" because it is the first of the month and people tend to change jobs then. Plus, I work in academia and the new semester is starting so there are even more genuine notices of peoples promotions and such, but then also guys just saying 5 hours later "Oh actually, that was a joke, but thanks for all the mails and calls..." Like, what?
    Hi Goon,

Gute Besserung, und die Impfungen werden schon dafür sorgen, dass du keine Riesenprobleme hast.

@ImpertinentGoon

How are you and your GF doing, mate? I hope you're not suffering too much. I'm hoping for the best for you both very very fast!

Hi Goon,

Gute Besserung, und die Impfungen werden schon dafür sorgen, dass du keine Riesenprobleme hast.

Danke. Bisher ist es im Grunde nur eine Erkältung bei uns beiden, alles aushaltbar. Bin mir sicher die Impfungen tun da ihren Job.
    @ImpertinentGoon

How are you and your GF doing, mate? I hope you're not suffering too much. I'm hoping for the best for you both very very fast!

Cheers. We’re ok. It’s actually kind of better now that we don’t have to isolate from each other anymore. We’re not allowed to leave the flat, but at least I can use the TV again ^^
    Illness wise it’s so far pretty much a regular cold. Obviously not ideal, but nothing too scary. Vaccinations seem to be doing their job.

Now to figure out which Bond films to watch :-?
    edited April 2022 Posts: 23,553

Hi Goon,

Danke. Bisher ist es im Grunde nur eine Erkältung bei uns beiden, alles aushaltbar. Bin mir sicher die Impfungen tun da ihren Job.
    @ImpertinentGoon

Cheers. We’re ok. It’s actually kind of better now that we don’t have to isolate from each other anymore. We’re not allowed to leave the flat, but at least I can use the TV again ^^
    Illness wise it’s so far pretty much a regular cold. Obviously not ideal, but nothing too scary. Vaccinations seem to be doing their job.

Now to figure out which Bond films to watch :-?

Good to hear!

My own contribution for the day: a seventeen year old student of mine called Nina slit one of her wrists this morning. Her mom found her just in time and doctors were able to save her. The cause for her desperate actions: too much pressure at school.

So what now? Therapy? Treatment? Unfortunately no. Because Belgium suffers from extensive waiting lists in psychological care for teens. Suicide attempts are not important enough...

I don't know what's worse. That teens are too ashamed to admit that school life is taking too much from them, or that help won't be offered anyway because even after a suicide attempt you're not sufficiently off your rocker to deserve a special place somewhere?

Nina's mom spent the better part of the day talking to me over the phone from the hospital. A dedicated mother, she somehow feels like she has failed her daughter. She blames herself for what happened. I have tried to talk her out of it and I'll be paying Nina a visit soon enough.

In the meantime, I keep begging people not to laugh when teens cry for help. Saying that they should grow a pair isn't doing them any favors. The strain some are under is no laughing matter at all. Society demands a great deal from them but also lets them down by not offering help when they need it. Not enough psychologists and long waiting lists are part of the problem.

This was not a good day to start the weekend...
    @DarthDimi , that is awful. Poor girl, my heart bleeds for her. I really hope her mind heals soon. Damn society.