Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    @DarthDimi we get that kind of thing with appalling regularity around here. SO depressing.
    @DarthDimi

I'm so very sorry to hear that, it cuts especially deep for someone like me who has struggled with ferocious depression and suicidal wishes for most of my life. I never self harmed or attempted suicide myself, but I completely understand those thoughts and am fighting every day to try to get better myself. It is absolutely disgusting to me how mental health has never been prioritized, and how many are still being stigmatized and looking for help when they can't get any. It's just awful.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Thunderfinger @Birdleson

Thanks, gents.

@FoxRox
    It is most admirable that you can talk so openly about that.
    You are right: mental health gets talked about a lot on TV, but in reality, there's a gaping hole in the system. Since I started teaching older teens, that very problem became even more apparent to me. I try to be there for my students, but I cannot assist them, therapeutically or medically. Yet sometimes, a teacher, a few peers, a parent, ... is all they have since psychologists and institutes are almost inaccessible.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 12,270
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Thanks, gents.

@FoxRox
    You are right: mental health gets talked about a lot on TV, but in reality, there's a gaping hole in the system. Since I started teaching older teens, that very problem became even more apparent to me. I try to be there for my students, but I cannot assist them, therapeutically or medically. Yet sometimes, a teacher, a few peers, a parent, ... is all they have since psychologists and institutes are almost inaccessible.

Thank you - I have no problem being very forward about it, but I do wish it was more commonly accepted to talk about in general. I've had relationships fractured or lost altogether because of how strong my issues can be and my past friends understandably haven't been able to handle that. I didn't even start medication until less than a whole year ago, and I still have so much work to go in making myself as good as I can be. That really is one of the worst parts as you imply at the end there, because I feel like a burden on all who I love when my worst breaks out. I'm hoping my newest work insurance can help me affordably find someone professional to talk to.

I hate sounding like I'm trying to make this all about myself, so I just want to state that my wish is for EVERYONE with mental problems to be treated better, not just for being able to have more ready access to help, but that we aren't looked at as freaks in society. If we could help eliminate these things ourselves, we would.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Thanks, gents.

@FoxRox

Thank you - I have no problem being very forward about it, but I do wish it was more commonly accepted to talk about in general. I've had relationships fractured or lost altogether because of how strong my issues can be and my past friends understandably haven't been able to handle that. I didn't even start medication until less than a whole year ago, and I still have so much work to go in making myself as good as I can be. That really is one of the worst parts as you imply at the end there, because I feel like a burden on all who I love when my worst breaks out. I'm hoping my newest work insurance can help me affordably find someone professional to talk to.

I hate sounding like I'm trying to make this all about myself, so I just want to state that my wish is for EVERYONE with mental problems to be treated better, not just for being able to have more ready access to help, but that we aren't looked at as freaks in society. If we could help eliminate these things ourselves, we would.

Thank you for that post, @FoxRox. I hope for the best, mate. Hang in there, and remember that a good talk is only a PM away. ;-)

No one who is courageous enough to talk about his struggles is a freak in my book. After all, we all have them. But only those willing to admit it, can take the next step.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Just wanted to say you sound like a good teacher @DarthDimi. I hope the girl, her family, you and other students can get through this and heal.
    This morning, I was watching Scooby-Doo and Guess Who, the episode with Laila Ali. And then, I jumped from my couch. The plot dealt with the search for a crown worn by the last king of France, which the script writers though was Louis XV (they even got the date on a coin found near the the crown as 1792, the last year of his reign. Except that Louis XV had passed away in 1774, way before the French revolution. Not to mention the costumes seen in the flashback were completely the wrong ones for the time period. I could forgive them that (even if a little bit of research wouldn't have hurt). After all, I wouldn't be able to cite from memory the list in ordr chronological of all the United States presidents. What makes my blood boil however is the fact that I saw the episode in a dubbed (in french) version, and that the people responsible for the dubbing didn't see fit to correct that mistake in the process. Not the first time it happens, unfortunately.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Gerard if you ask me, the main problem here is not the mixing up of all the historical facts, but the fact that you were watchinf Scooby Doo..... ;-)

@FoxRox just wanted to add to the above that I'm very thankful that you're so open about it. I know a lot of people who suffer from mental illnesses, and I know what kind of daily struggle it can be. But indeed, the mroe we talk about it, the more people slightly understand ( I don't think anyone fully comprehends what it is like to go through if you haven't been there yourself) the better it is. The less we all judge eachother, the better it is.
    But I guess that last one is just wishful thinking.
    @Gerard if you ask me, the main problem here is not the mixing up of all the historical facts, but the fact that you were watchinf Scooby Doo..... ;-)

@FoxRox just wanted to add to the above that I'm very thankful that you're so open about it. I know a lot of people who suffer from mental illnesses, and I know what kind of daily struggle it can be. But indeed, the mroe we talk about it, the more people slightly understand ( I don't think anyone fully comprehends what it is like to go through if you haven't been there yourself) the better it is. The less we all judge eachother, the better it is.
    But I guess that last one is just wishful thinking.

Only stupid people, pardon my bluntness, would judge another person for trying to fight the internal fight. Those people don't matter.
    @CommanderRoss I appreciate the kind words; if I saw more open encouragement like this in day to day life I’d feel a lot better, but unfortunately the most usual responses are simply “go get help,” “sorry to hear that,” or some other awkward or dismissive thing. Most of the judgmental ones will at least not want to look like jerks externally so they’ll say something easy that’s societally the norm. My low faith in humanity definitely feeds into the depression, because even though there are truly great people I’ve met that have helped me a lot, my life experience has been there are more bad than good, at least in the area I’ve lived in most of my life. Even neutrality can be discouraging sometimes depending on what it’s about. Though I never wish it upon anyone, one of the biggest comforts is knowing I’m far from alone, and there’s always someone who has it worse.
    @CommanderRoss I appreciate the kind words; if I saw more open encouragement like this in day to day life I’d feel a lot better, but unfortunately the most usual responses are simply “go get help,” “sorry to hear that,” or some other awkward or dismissive thing. Most of the judgmental ones will at least not want to look like jerks externally so they’ll say something easy that’s societally the norm. My low faith in humanity definitely feeds into the depression, because even though there are truly great people I’ve met that have helped me a lot, my life experience has been there are more bad than good, at least in the area I’ve lived in most of my life. Even neutrality can be discouraging sometimes depending on what it’s about. Though I never wish it upon anyone, one of the biggest comforts is knowing I’m far from alone, and there’s always someone who has it worse.
    You are not alone, friend. Never.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Personally I've come to understand that most people react to it in this way because 1. they don't understand what's going on and 2. they can't see it. And, after all, we're no more than monkeys reacting to our environment. So, only if they suffer themselves, or have had experiences like that themselves or really close, will they start to understand. So I'm definately thankful that you're willing to speak out! Please keep on doing so, you'll be helping a lot of others. And believe me, far more people suffer from mental problems than those that arre willing (and able) to speak about it. As @DarthDimi and @Birdleson said, especially amongst youngsters this is a big problem. We need to understand what's going on, for if you suffer a mental depression at a young age, chances are very high it will come back in later years, to often devestating effect.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,391
    As of now, I'm tired of our news here, full of news about election, campaigning of the candidates, their issues and not just on the news, but also in TV commercials, half of the commercial that I'm seeing was all about their campaigns. I'm tired of these candidates' faces I'm seeing them everyday.
    We have Ten (10) Presidential Candidates.
  • I'm tired of all the backlash against killing Craig's.Bond off. Ballsiest move by EON ever. I thought it was a great ending.
    To be honest, this, Commanderbond forum, and Bond and Beyond forum were the only ones I enjoyed reading, the others? Toxic, especially James Bond reddit (I hated this one), they're so toxic and tiring, I feel that I'm in a 'Free' dirty public pool, they're NOT real bond fans for me, that's not how Bond fans should act, arrogant, bullying, they're just using that to boost their ego urrgh! :-&
    And I'll be honest with you guys, I didn't liked them. I can't stand James Bond reddit!

And I hate Reddit in General, would much rather prefer Quora!
    The Snoo icon was cute, but that's just about it! I hated the site itself! Very Toxic my God!

And AJB007, it has some share of toxicity, but it's much better than James Bond reddit, I can still visit, read some posts there, and I will appreciate it than that 'Free' dirty public pool full of bullies that is James Bond reddit!

When I'm here, I feel that I'm part of the Bond family, and I really liked the members respecting other members and their opinions, I'm at peace when I'm here, this is what the fandom should be, I really love being here. Thank you guys and MI6community! :x

I LOVE Mi6Community! ❤️
    @MI6HQ I return all the love and love having you and so many others here. There’s been a few toxic instances I’ve seen around, and I’m ashamed to admit I might have been a problem a couple times myself, but overall things are simply excellent here for an online forum. The people are largely passionate and kind. It’s the closest thing I’ve had to virtual family.
    @MI6HQ I return all the love and love having you and so many others here. There’s been a few toxic instances I’ve seen around, and I’m ashamed to admit I might have been a problem a couple times myself, but overall things are simply excellent here for an online forum. The people are largely passionate and kind. It’s the closest thing I’ve had to virtual family.

Thanks @FoxRox
    No, I don't see it, you're not.
    Those people in reddit were I considered toxic, because they're bullying, being arrogant, making shame of other people, echo chambers, like a gang, I don't like it.

And yes, they're friendly here,
    I really appreciate being here.
    People here were matured and have a wide understanding.
    I also want to thank the moderators who were maintaining the peace in this forum.
    I will put it this way we're bonding here 😊.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Nice to see some appreciation for the atmosphere around here. From our end, we mostly get the complaints.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Nice to see some appreciation for the atmosphere around here. From our end, we mostly get the complaints.

Really? Well, they haven't been to reddit yet 😅
    Complaints... Yes. Don't get us started about Bond And Beyond. 😄
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 15,818
    There is definitely a warm family atmosphere around here. I really consider this to be the ONLY Bond forum right now. I have accounts on a couple others, but rarely even lurk over there.

Here's my rant:

This morning someone at work attempted to put me in my place and tell me off. It didn't work out in their favor and I turned it around on that person. Basically it was somebody trying to tell me how to do my job and furious at me for following the correct protocol. I didn't curse or raise my voice (too much) at this person, but I know I over did it, and probably intimidated them.
    Somebody starts bullying me I tend to go into defensive mode. That's no excuse as I should've kept a cooler head. This person is far weaker than me and definitely more timid. Right now l feel like the bully.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    There is definitely a warm family atmosphere around here. I really consider this to be the ONLY Bond forum right now. I have accounts on a couple others, but rarely even lurk over there.

Here's my rant:

This morning someone at work attempted to put me in my place and tell me off. It didn't work out in their favor and I turned it around on that person. Basically it was somebody trying to tell me how to do my job and furious at me for following the correct protocol. I didn't curse or raise my voice (too much) at this person, but I know I over did it, and probably intimidated them.
    Somebody starts bullying me I tend to go into defensive mode. That's no excuse as I should've kept a cooler head. This person is far weaker than me and definitely more timid. Right now l feel like the bully.

@ToTheRight
    I get that feeling. But judging from what you wrote, you didn't start the bickering. In a way, the other person had it coming. Had he or she left you alone, nothing would have happened. And that means you are not the bully in this narrative because bullies start fights without any provocation.
    Thanks, @DarthDimi. I appreciate that. Good to have perspective on these types of situations.
    Thanks, @DarthDimi. I appreciate that. Good to have perspective on these types of situations.

don't worry, they just happen and @Darth is right: bullies start the fight. I've had people come back to me, when I was just a bit... strict.. that they thought I'd been right but I couldé said it friendlier. Of course I could. But I didn't. As long as you stick to the facts and never turn it into a personal attack, you should be safe.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 2022 Posts: 2,932
    I'm a bit old skool on this one and don't go down the no-blame, six of one, half a dozen of the other route. Retaliation is not as bad as instigation - and the instigator is the one who should get all the blame and all the comebacks. After all, like Darth Dimi said: none of it would've happened if they hadn't instigated it.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 12,270
    “Pervert” shaming. These days especially if you voice your opinion of sexual want for anything or anyone, strangers will be quick to label you a pervert. Sexual desire is one of the most primal and necessary things that make us human, and should be seen as a casual, normal thing whenever someone brings it up. As long as it’s not in the territory of harassing or hurting an individual, there’s no reason it should be seen as “sick” or “perverted” to voice sexual thoughts in an appropriate given space. I often worry society is headed toward a widespread desexualization a la Orwell’s 1984. Anyways this proves people as a collective whole are all just about appearances, and prefer facade to truth and people’s realest selves. Being a blunt person like myself makes it hard to get by a lot.

Going on a tangent about prude people, why is the world still so formal? Why do we have to have the national anthem every sports game and pledge of allegiance every morning in schools? Does it not lose effect and meaning having it be as common as anything else, as just a formal ritual? Why can’t we wear sweatpants whenever we feel like it at work? I fail to see the point of why we have to be so formal and ritualistic about things like this still. If society was more casual in several ways we would be much better off, way less fighting and such.

I arrive late in the conversation, but I had a former colleague like that. He played games, delegated work and gave responsibilities so he'd have someone to blame if things were to go wrong. I sometimes lost patience with him.
    reddit is right about autograph forgers though......scumbags like Kevin Martin or Elkouby.......talked with managers of 60s Batman actors , these are clueless about whats up
    “Pervert” shaming. These days especially if you voice your opinion of sexual want for anything or anyone, strangers will be quick to label you a pervert. Sexual desire is one of the most primal and necessary things that make us human, and should be seen as a casual, normal thing whenever someone brings it up. As long as it’s not in the territory of harassing or hurting an individual, there’s no reason it should be seen as “sick” or “perverted” to voice sexual thoughts in an appropriate given space. I often worry society is headed toward a widespread desexualization a la Orwell’s 1984. Anyways this proves people as a collective whole are all just about appearances, and prefer facade to truth and people’s realest selves. Being a blunt person like myself makes it hard to get by a lot.

Going on a tangent about prude people, why is the world still so formal? Why do we have to have the national anthem every sports game and pledge of allegiance every morning in schools? Does it not lose effect and meaning having it be as common as anything else, as just a formal ritual? Why can’t we wear sweatpants whenever we feel like it at work? I fail to see the point of why we have to be so formal and ritualistic about things like this still. If society was more casual in several ways we would be much better off, way less fighting and such.

Well we can go on a discussion about this for a long time, but I'll tell you this: those rituals give a sense of belonging (allthough that pledge at school is definately outdated, they haven't done that here since the 1950-ies). And I guess the USA is far more prudish than (most of) Europe. But you were asking about it. And formal dress at work is about respect to customers and collegues. You may look good in shorts, but that doesn't account for all your collegues. It's also about the effort you're taking. I'm not trying to defend the principles here, merely stating the reasons.
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 9,771
    I figure I will say this here as only one person here knows who I am

I genuinely am upset with my job and boss I am trying my best not to complain but the creepy things he says I just I need to get out of there fast

One of the gems from my boss “if I was to screw with you I would seduce your wife get her to leave you marry me and as she was dying as an old woman I would tell her she meant nothing to me and it was all to get at your husband”

I swear I feel like I am working for a Bond villain at times