Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,933
    'There is no hope here or hereafter in the cult of my people. In this world men struggle and suffer vainly, finding pleasure only in the bright madness of battle. Dying, their souls enter a grey misty realm of clouds and icy winds, to wander cheerlessly throughout eternity.'

I'm from Yorkshire - of course this stuff speaks to me! :))
    Forget religion, this is all you need to know about life:

Revelator wrote: »

That last bit is encouraging at least!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    In the words of George Lass:

626b1c54ecef3beba666cfcfa2e07fcd.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ok, just to finish off the DVD saga, it arrived the day before we had to fly to Ukraine. So it will be another two weeks before I can see it, as long as the Russians stay put..
    Whoa, what will you be up to in Ukraine???
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Classified info, for his eyes only, while he’s operating on her majesty’s secret service.
    We had another massive snow storm during the past two days in my neck of the woods.
    Although I adjourned to work the first day, yesterday I called out as most of the roads were pretty bad. Several vehicles were reported off the road.
    However, I'm not going to whine about that.

Here's my official whining and ranting:

My barber is out of commission for awhile due to the icy roads and will re-open in due time.
    So I went somewhere else today just to clean my taper. Meaning, don't actually cut it, just taper the nape (and a little around the ears).
    The guy squared it (and kind of messed up one side). He didn't show me the back before I left, so I didn't realize until I got home.

If I wanted it to look like Connery's in NSNA I would've brought a photo of Connery in NSNA.
    Effing A, Connery's toupee in that film looked amazing compared to this!

No, actually this looked closer to that weird haircut Bogart gets in the opening of TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE.

mpv-shot0006-1.jpg

humphrey-bogart-as-fred-c-dobbs-make-up-test-photo-of-haircut-for-early-tampico-scenes-in-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-1948-director-screenplay-john-huston-novel-b-traven-warner-bros-2CCHHWY.jpg

We gotta fix it. So I drove 25 miles on these icy roads to a backup barbershop......and I got there just as they closed.

Well, there's one more place. This was my last shot, and the last available barber shop in my area. It's also a very old school classic barbershop.

Luckily, a stylist who has occasionally cut my hair, was there and she was able to fix it.

Now it no longer looks like Bogie's odd haircut in TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE but closer to KING OF THE UNDERWORLD.

488131671d629cbb9bce40196f3f7cb6.jpg

Happy ending.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Whoa, what will you be up to in Ukraine???
    Classified info, for his eyes only, while he’s operating on her majesty’s secret service.

Something like that ;-)

nah, medical check-up. I won't bother you with the details but they've got very good doctors here, far better than in my own supposedly western superior country. They found a problem in 5 minutes flat that they couldn't find in my own country for the last 20 years, and has had major reorcussions on my life as it was a major reason for me not to persue my dream job.

So yeah, there's that.

and yes there's an international crisis, but there's also just people living their lives here. Nothing sinister.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 6,822
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    We had another massive snow storm during the past two days in my neck of the woods.
    Although I adjourned to work the first day, yesterday I called out as most of the roads were pretty bad. Several vehicles were reported off the road.

My barber is out of commission for awhile due to the icy roads and will re-open in due time.
    So I went somewhere else today just to clean my taper. Meaning, don't actually cut it, just taper the nape (and a little around the ears).
    The guy squared it (and kind of messed up one side). He didn't show me the back before I left, so I didn't realize until I got home.

If I wanted it to look like Connery's in NSNA I would've brought a photo of Connery in NSNA.

No, actually this looked closer to that weird haircut Bogart gets in the opening of TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE.

mpv-shot0006-1.jpg

humphrey-bogart-as-fred-c-dobbs-make-up-test-photo-of-haircut-for-early-tampico-scenes-in-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-1948-director-screenplay-john-huston-novel-b-traven-warner-bros-2CCHHWY.jpg

We gotta fix it. So I drove 25 miles on these icy roads to a backup barbershop......and I got there just as they closed.

Well, there's one more place. This was my last shot, and the last available barber shop in my area. It's also a very old school classic barbershop.

Luckily, a stylist who has occasionally cut my hair, was there and she was able to fix it.

Now it no longer looks like Bogie's odd haircut in TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE but closer to KING OF THE UNDERWORLD.

Happy ending.

You should start a 'Barber comments.... while you watch!' thread, @ToTheRight 😅
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

mpv-shot0006-1.jpg

Happy ending.

You should start a 'Barber comments.... while you watch!' thread, @ToTheRight 😅

Haha! Great idea, @Mathis1
    Yesterday, before taking the train to Paris, I decided to use the station's toilets. First door was closed and locked, so I went to the second door, which was closed, but not locked. So, I opened it...

... and found a woman that had just finished her business. Why do people do that (leaving the toilet door unlocked while they hit the porcelain express, I mean, not, well, the other thing) ? Is it too much of a hassle to turn that little knob in the "closed" position ? No, really, I don't understand that. And it's not the first time this has happened. Nor, in all likelyhood will it be the last.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yesterday, before taking the train to Paris, I decided to use the station's toilets. First door was closed and locked, so I went to the second door, which was closed, but not locked. So, I opened it...

... and found a woman that had just finished her business. Why do people do that (leaving the toilet door unlocked while they hit the porcelain express, I mean, not, well, the other thing) ? Is it too much of a hassle to turn that little knob in the "closed" position ? No, really, I don't understand that. And it's not the first time this has happened. Nor, in all likelyhood will it be the last.

Perhaps some people are in such a hurry they can't even lock the door? ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Gerard wrote: »

I've had that happen to me a few times too. Both as the person opening the door and the person on the toilet seat. All I can say is that it's very embarrassing and sometimes people simply forget to lock the door or think they have locked it. I do take extra special care with locks now though to stop any recurrence of this sort of thing as it's very unpleasant to have happen.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It's surprisingly difficult to knock on a door before opening it, but with practice...
    QBranch wrote: »
    It's surprisingly difficult to knock on a door before opening it, but with practice...

You just assume it's open I think. And then you get a shock! :)
    Dragonpol wrote: »

...or stun gas. Effective range, about five feet.
    mattjoes wrote: »

The latest thing from Q Branch. And all attributed to natural causes. ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Provided no one touches my lunch!
    Provided no one touches my lunch!
    After that, you needn't worry...

Flying out of Ukraine today. Gives a very sad and double feeling. Almost as if we're betraying our friends.
    Today is definitely a bad day
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

If you don t like Thursday, there are six other days to enjoy.

As it turns out, this friday is as shitty as thursday. We're trying to get friends and family out, but for now we can't, for all sorts of reasons. It's not easy to sit at home in a safe country when the cities where friends and family live are beeing bombed, or, as now is the case in Kiev, beeing invaded.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

As it turns out, this friday is as shitty as thursday. We're trying to get friends and family out, but for now we can't, for all sorts of reasons. It's not easy to sit at home in a safe country when the cities where friends and family live are beeing bombed, or, as now is the case in Kiev, beeing invaded.

I understand. It must be stressful. Sorry about my flippant remark, I didn t know what you were referring to.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sorry to hear, @CommanderRoss, but glad to hear you got out safe.

My brother has another way of seeing it, fatalistic yet positive: "Life's a bitch and then you die. But I'm alive, so life's my bitch."

I understand. It must be stressful. Sorry about my flippant remark, I didn t know what you were referring to.

It's OK, I understand. My world has turned from very bright to very dark overnight. I can't (nor want) everyone to join in. Now my mother in law is hiding in a bunker while the fighting rages outside. It's effin 2022. I know politics are not allowed here, but f-bomb putin.
    @CommanderRoss I am so, so heartbroken to hear you are going through this. I know it probably comes as no consolation, but I do feel the deepest anger and sadness over this and think about what’s going on right now very often. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to have loved ones living in these conditions.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It's OK, I understand. My world has turned from very bright to very dark overnight. I can't (nor want) everyone to join in. Now my mother in law is hiding in a bunker while the fighting rages outside. It's effin 2022. I know politics are not allowed here, but f-bomb putin.
    I'm sorry for your situation, @CommanderRoss, like I'm sorry for the population of Ukraine in general. And I fully support your suggestion to f-bomb the war criminal and mass murderer Vladimir Putin. I hope this goes through since it at least isn't immediately about his puppet Donald Trump. (I'll wait for the mods' objection regarding this.)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2022 Posts: 23,561
    That foul display of imperialism certainly is no laughing matter. Some of my students are from Ukraine. Their grandparents' whereabouts have been unknown since the day before yesterday. This is a nightmare for them.

@CommanderRoss, I will join you in f-bombing putin. I'll even add that America's favourite self-serving talking orange with his complimenting remarks towards putin has now, hopefully, lost every bit of credit with his followers. But most of all, friend, I truly hope your family will get out of this unscathed. Please keep us posted.