No Time to Die on Blu-ray

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    KenAustin wrote: »
    What I find amusing is the film's title "No Time To Die" when that is exactly what time it was. It was like "The Last Jedi" when in fact the film showed more Jedi. It's either very bad writing or they think they are being funny by being misleading.

Except the title didn’t apply to Bond, it was his family. No one realizes that until the ending.

As for TLJ, it’s actually referring to Skywalker in the beginning of the film, as that was what he was described in the opening crawl of TFA. It’s only at the end of the film that he says “I will not be the last Jedi”. It’s too bad you haven’t seen that one, it’s easily one of the best Star Wars films since the TESB.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    KenAustin wrote: »
    What I find amusing is the film's title "No Time To Die" when that is exactly what time it was. It was like "The Last Jedi" when in fact the film showed more Jedi. It's either very bad writing or they think they are being funny by being misleading.

Except the title didn’t apply to Bond, it was his family. No one realizes that until the ending.

As for TLJ, it’s actually referring to Skywalker in the beginning of the film, as that was what he was described in the opening crawl of TFA. It’s only at the end of the film that he says “I will not be the last Jedi”. It’s too bad you haven’t seen that one, it’s easily one of the best Star Wars films since the TESB.

I saw the movie I just refused to go to theaters, I waited until it was on Disney+ and watched it for free (not my account) it was the better of the new trilogy but in no way will ever compare to TESB (ever)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The Bluray looks a darn sight better on my TV than it did at my local cinema. The opening shot of Safin in the snow you could see the cinema screen was filthy.

No wonder I rarely go anymore.

Shame the disc has no commentary from Fukunaga. The extras are interesting but not very long.

Am looking forward to watching my 4k disc, just received in the post!

I love the film up till that contrived ending. You just don't kill James Bond.

Let me know what you think 👍

I find myself in a weird state of both agreeing with you about not killing James Bond, but not minding that they did it anyways.

It's only once, and they'll probably never do it again, so for me I'm happy this is one story out of 25 so far. Happy to have it.

When the next film comes out, I know there'll be tons of posts saying "SPOILER ALERT! JAMES BOND SURVIVES THE END OF THE FILM!"

I think with each subsequent viewing the end loses it's power and ultimately just becomes a mediocre idea. Unlike the OHMSS ending that is still emotionally powerful to this day.

My second viewing touched me even more than the first. I felt with them even the sixth time last week. Like all others, I don't want to see Bond being killed for a long time but it works for me here and it makes this film special in a positive way (maybe I will disagree one day, but for now it works). However, I have to admit that I didn't no how to feel about after the premiere. I almost couldn't sleep that night.

Strangely, despite loving OHMSS, the ending there never touched me much while NTTD and CR work much better for me on an emotional level. Main reasons could be Eva Green and Zimmer's score. Furthermore, Lazenby is not a very talented actor compared to Craig.
    It's one that I'll put in my collection but it'll sit on the shelf with QoS for awhile until I do a marathon
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well, No Time for who To Die? The title still relates to events.

They could have called it Plenty of Time, Plenty of Tme from the dialog but it wouldn't strike a chord.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    They should have called it ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD.
    They should have called it ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD.

Which was a Roger Moore line in a previous Bond movie first :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    :))
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Maybe there's an invisible comma or colon after the 'No'...
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Bluray looks a darn sight better on my TV than it did at my local cinema. The opening shot of Safin in the snow you could see the cinema screen was filthy.

Shame the disc has no commentary from Fukunaga. The extras are interesting but not very long.

I find myself in a weird state of both agreeing with you about not killing James Bond, but not minding that they did it anyways.

It's only once, and they'll probably never do it again, so for me I'm happy this is one story out of 25 so far. Happy to have it.

When the next film comes out, I know there'll be tons of posts saying "SPOILER ALERT! JAMES BOND SURVIVES THE END OF THE FILM!"

I think with each subsequent viewing the end loses it's power and ultimately just becomes a mediocre idea. Unlike the OHMSS ending that is still emotionally powerful to this day.

My second viewing touched me even more than the first. I felt with them even the sixth time last week. Like all others, I don't want to see Bond being killed for a long time but it works for me here and it makes this film special in a positive way (maybe I will disagree one day, but for now it works). However, I have to admit that I didn't no how to feel about after the premiere. I almost couldn't sleep that night.

Strangely, despite loving OHMSS, the ending there never touched me much while NTTD and CR work much better for me on an emotional level. Main reasons could be Eva Green and Zimmer's score. Furthermore, Lazenby is not a very talented actor compared to Craig.

I agree Lazenby never had Craig's acting ability. But one thing Laz did nail was the final scene. I don't think any actor could have improved on it.

I agree Lazenby never had Craig's acting ability. But one thing Laz did nail was the final scene. I don't think any actor could have improved on it.

I agree, mate. Having watched OHMSS again at Christmas, and knowing that ending is coming up, it still gets me. Lazenby handles it very well, love it when he kisses her hand!
    I was strangely unmoved by NTTD ending, despite being a huge fan of Craigs, was much more affected by Bond visiting Vespers grave.
    I'm a little more than halfway through a Bond marathon and watched OHMSS yesterday, the one thing I definitely did not like about Lazenby was his voice compared to the other Bond actors, not sure if the sounds of his voice was ever described in the novels but I just didn't like it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I agree, mate. Having watched OHMSS again at Christmas, and knowing that ending is coming up, it still gets me. Lazenby handles it very well, love it when he kisses her hand!
    I was strangely unmoved by NTTD ending, despite being a huge fan of Craigs, was much more affected by Bond visiting Vespers grave.

Yeah, after the initial shock the NTTD ending seems contrived and cheap. It's like that was the starting point of the script and everything was built around Bond’s demise.

It doesn't feel natural.

I really like the film up to that point.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    The ending is heartbreaking and arguably the manliest death ever put on screen.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 735
    For hundreds of years the ancient Athenians attended plays knowing exactly how things were going to turn out for the mythological protagonist. They didn't care about about 'plot spoilers,' what mattered instead was the 'how' and the 'why' regarding what happened to him. For our own contemporary Heracles, much the same can be said -- especially in relation to the first 24 EON films, where the ending was always pre-ordained.

I think we agree 100% here. I'm still affected by the ending of NTTD, but not so much his actual death, but Bond's realization, when Safin says "you made me do it". IMO, Craig conveys an absolute ton in that moment and it's really impactful.

I do also feel very moved when he visits Vesper's grave, but that could be me being caught up in the excellence of the PTS as whole, and the fact that Craig looks incredible throughout the Matera scenes.

Despite countless viewings, the approaching end of OHMSS always makes the heart begin to race.
  • matt_u wrote: »

*survives jumping off the top of a crane
    *unarmed, defeats two assailants wielding a handgun and a machete in a stairwell
    *successfully revived after flatlining from martini poisoning
    *survives rolling over seven times in an Aston Martin
    *has testicles beaten with a knotted rope
    *survives an 800-ft. free-fall from an airplane, no parachute
    *unarmed, takes out three SIS agents in an elevator
    *gets shot off the top of a 200-ft. bridge
    *catches the tube after it has left the station
    *fights an opponent submerged in a freezing loch for two minutes
    *crashes own airplane into the ground
    *survives having head drilled
    *watches world's biggest explosion from a safe distance because he's already sniped everybody in the compound with his semi-automatic after having head drilled
    *dies from getting shot in the open by a man who lost a gun battle to a 10-year-old

;)
    :)) I take issue with a couple of your points, but otherwise, well stated!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,695

I'm afraid I disagree. The scene was as corny as it could be, and it was all due to Lazenby's lack of acting prowess. Which IMO is responsible for this movie NOT being totally top-notch within the series, but reduces it to second-tier. Which is still an achievement.

Boom!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    matt_u wrote: »

*unarmed, defeats two assailants wielding a handgun and a machete in a stairwell
    *watches world's biggest explosion from a safe distance because he's already sniped everybody in the compound with his semi-automatic after having head drilled
    *dies from getting shot in the open by a man who lost a gun battle to a 10-year-old

;)

I’m sorry, those points means absolutely nothing.
  • matt_u wrote: »

;)

I'm still divided on how I feel about killing Bond and more specifically how they went about it. Just pointing out that an essential attribute of the character for more than 50 years has been that he always pulls off the miraculous or escapes impending doom, however improbably. When they say, "Get out of it, James," he does, somehow, some way.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 735

;)

I'm still divided on how I feel about killing Bond and more specifically how they went about it. Just pointing out that an essential attribute of the character for more than 50 years has been that he always pulls off the miraculous or escapes impending doom, however improbably. When they say, "Get out of it, James," he does, somehow, some way.

Except he didn't in OHMSS, so there's that as something of a precedent ... and perhaps one of the reasons why it's so present in NTTD.
    Mere physical survival for its own sake, is that really a necessary attribute of a heroic protagonist?

Such figures are inherently unselfish, which is why Bond's death in NTTD meets the criteria of heroic action. He dies, as he lived, very much a hero ...
  • Feyador wrote: »

;)

Except he didn't in OHMSS, so there's that as something of a precedent ... and perhaps one of the reasons why it's so present in NTTD.

Well, he failed to save someone he cared about (and Tracy has been the most extreme example of that over the years), but he has lost countless friends, allies, and lovers dating all the way back to Dr. No and skipping very few films since. I'm talking strictly about Bond getting himself out of the mission alive, whether thanks to that Union Jack parachute he packed or by driving a motorcycle off a cliff after a nosediving biplane. Sure, he could just not have that parachute or not catch up to that nosediving biplane, but that's not what we come to a Bond film for.
    Mere physical survival for its own sake, is that really a necessary attribute of a heroic protagonist?

Such figures are inherently unselfish, which is why Bond's death in NTTD meets the criteria of heroic action. He dies, as he lived, very much a hero ...

Bond survives for the mission and for his country. He very much considers his own life expendable and very much lives that way.
    Feyador wrote: »

;)

Well, he failed to save someone he cared about (and Tracy has been the most extreme example of that over the years), but he has lost countless friends, allies, and lovers dating all the way back to Dr. No and skipping very few films since. I'm talking strictly about Bond getting himself out of the mission alive, whether thanks to that Union Jack parachute he packed or by driving a motorcycle off a cliff after a nosediving biplane. Sure, he could just not have that parachute or not catch up to that nosediving biplane, but that's not what we come to a Bond film for.

kingsman-comic-parachute1.jpg?w=529

;)

kingsman-comic-parachute1.jpg?w=529

LOL, I haven't read that one, but that's a perfect panel for the discussion.
  • I'm holding off buying NTTD until a special edition with commentary is released.
    I’m foolishly waiting for a different steelbook.