No Time to Die on Blu-ray

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think there are little clues around the film regarding his motivation, and I don't really think his motivation needs to be super specific. When Bond and M have their little conversation about "Who will he go after now that Spectre's gone? Politicians, civilians, freedom, just the usual", and when Bond says "you're just another in a long line of angry little men", I think it's just sort of like, he doesn't have his original family, he doesn't have Madeleine, he doesn't have a new family for himself, he's angry and he has this opportunity to spread a lot of the hurt to a lot of people around the world, and he's going to use it. It could be compared a little to The Joker from TDK, "some men just want to watch the world burn" and all that. Actually Alfred's monologue there could fit quite well regarding Safin I think.

Earlier I thought it would be neat if they had a little backstory for Safin where he and his large family lived in poverty in a particularly overpopulated part of the world, when Mr. White / SPECTRE swooped in to "rescue" them and bring them to that island, only to ultimately reveal they were using the family to test their genetics-based chemical weapon and they all died, but in hindsight that even would have been a little too on the nose. The way it was handled in the film was perfectly adequate, IMO.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    For the villainy there are differences of scale, examples to Stromberg/Drax extremes.

And smaller, more focused efforts.
    'And so, Mister Bond, I came to devise this useful and essentially humane project - the offer of free death to those who seek release from the burden of being alive. By doing so, I have not only provided the common man with a solution to the problem of whether to be or not to be, I have also provided the Japanese Government, though for the present they appear to be blind to my magnanimity, with a tidy, out-of-the-way charnel-house which relieves them of a constant flow of messy occurrences involving the trains, the trams, the volcanoes and other unattractively public means of killing yourself. You must admit that, far from being a crime, this is a public service unique in the history of the world.'

'I saw one man being disgustingly murdered yesterday.'

'Tidying up, Mister Bond. Tidying up.'
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,928
    QBranch wrote: »
    Just before it, Ana says "Coño!" (oh crap!) when the spotlight turns to Bond.
    Ah, at least that explains why I thought she said 'Oh, no!' - which does make perfect sense in context, but hers is better than mine!
    When Safin tells Bond that 'you have something of mine', I just assumed that he meant Madeleine - which, as RichardThe Bruce said, is pretty much confirmed shortly thereafter when he offers Bond a straight exchange of Madeleine for Mathilde, no?
    Like NickTwentyTwo, I don't mind that the script doesn't explain or lay out every element of Safin's intentions. I like the idea that he's a nutjob who hasn't got a perfectly worked-out plan or watertight motivation for every aspect of it. The bloke's a whacko, why would his scheme make seamless sense? The fact that Safin's plans make coherent sense to him but sound mental when he speaks them aloud fits with the more, er, outre elements of NTTD.
    That Safin himself doesn't quite turn out to be some ruthlessly efficient supervillain with a hyperfocus on a clear objective fits with the dismissive, contemptuous way that Bond kills him. You can respect a worthy enemy, but the way that Bond shoots Safin shows that he has complete disdain for him. Another nutter who tried to play God - sighs wearily, bang-bang-bang, etc. This is all to the good, I think.
    Sounds like you all are right about Madeleine being what Bond "has" in that bit of dialogue, despite her not being right with him in that moment.
  • Received my copy of NTTD on Christmas. One of the highlights of this year’s gift exchange!
  • Sounds like you all are right about Madeleine being what Bond "has" in that bit of dialogue, despite her not being right with him in that moment.

Isn't Madeleine with Primo at that point, though?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2021 Posts: 45,489
    Venutius wrote: »
    The fact that Safin's plans make coherent sense to him but sound mental when he speaks them aloud fits with the more, er, outre elements of NTTD.

This is exactly how all our governments are, so nothing extraordinary there.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It's a bit more unusual in a movie villain, though, where everything's usually more cut and dried, no?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Have watched a bit of the 4k blu ray and have to say the sharpness, detail and colour of it is outstanding, a real looker of a film.
    Venutius wrote: »
    It's a bit more unusual in a movie villain, though, where everything's usually more cut and dried, no?

Yes, you do have a point there.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    FYI, it looks like iTunes has just added Being James Bond as a bonus feature. It wasn't there last week, but now it is.

Not other features. Either they remain exclusive to physical media or iTunes adds them later.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited December 2021 Posts: 3,018
    Making of NTTD, four featurettes (from the discs)

https://we.tl/t-f52cPLUEN9

Expires in about 22 hours. I can fix a new link after that.

FYI: 007.com just uploaded video with Linus Sandgren on youtube
  • astansillastansill London
    Contraband wrote: »

Thank you so much for uploading these. I bought the steel book but don’t have a 4K UHD blu ray player, I was gutted that the extras weren’t included on the blu ray.
  • Maybe someone more tech savvy than me can help:
    The digital code for NTTD is Apple TV, but meanwhile I have literally every digital download I’ve bought on Vudu.
    Is there anything I can do, save for buying it twice?
    I don’t think there’s any way to transfer that Apple TV code to any other service. Apple wants you with them and no one else! ;)
  • Has anyone heard any whispers about what EON might be doing in terms of a 60th anniversary box set?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Contraband wrote: »

Thank you kindly! I'm still waiting for this to be released in my country at the end of Jan. So these are much appreciated.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    moonraker5 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies 👍
    Just watched it again and I must have been wrong……

I think I was passing out in the cinema 😂😂

Your DNA had obviously been targeted, but you only got minimal traces of the nanobots, thankfully
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I don’t think there’s any way to transfer that Apple TV code to any other service. Apple wants you with them and no one else! ;)

This is so stupid.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s too bad MGM isn’t a part of Movies Anywhere.

• It is that, but she also says something before that that I can’t quite make out. [/quote]
    Just before it, Ana says "Coño!" (oh crap!) when the spotlight turns to Bond.[/quote]

Great thanks Qbranch. 👍
    Typical. Thought I'd get my order of NTTD 4k over the Hols. Back to work today, and what's waiting on my porch when I get home ? Yeh, arrived today. Oh well something to look forward to at the weekend!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Typical. Thought I'd get my order of NTTD 4k over the Hols. Back to work today, and what's waiting on my porch when I get home ? Yeh, arrived today. Oh well something to look forward to at the weekend!

That s nothing. Yesterday, I saw a couple picking up an enormous Christmas ornament package at the post office.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Calvin Dyson: NO TIME TO DIE at Home | 4K & Blu Ray Steelbook and First Edition Release Reviews:

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Bluray looks a darn sight better on my TV than it did at my local cinema. The opening shot of Safin in the snow you could see the cinema screen was filthy.

No wonder I rarely go anymore.

Shame the disc has no commentary from Fukunaga. The extras are interesting but not very long.
    The Bluray looks a darn sight better on my TV than it did at my local cinema. The opening shot of Safin in the snow you could see the cinema screen was filthy.

Shame the disc has no commentary from Fukunaga. The extras are interesting but not very long.

Am looking forward to watching my 4k disc, just received in the post!

I love the film up till that contrived ending. You just don't kill James Bond.

Let me know what you think 👍

I find myself in a weird state of both agreeing with you about not killing James Bond, but not minding that they did it anyways.

It's only once, and they'll probably never do it again, so for me I'm happy this is one story out of 25 so far. Happy to have it.

When the next film comes out, I know there'll be tons of posts saying "SPOILER ALERT! JAMES BOND SURVIVES THE END OF THE FILM!"

I find myself in a weird state of both agreeing with you about not killing James Bond, but not minding that they did it anyways.

It's only once, and they'll probably never do it again, so for me I'm happy this is one story out of 25 so far. Happy to have it.

When the next film comes out, I know there'll be tons of posts saying "SPOILER ALERT! JAMES BOND SURVIVES THE END OF THE FILM!"

I think with each subsequent viewing the end loses it's power and ultimately just becomes a mediocre idea. Unlike the OHMSS ending that is still emotionally powerful to this day.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    What I find amusing is the film's title "No Time To Die" when that is exactly what time it was. It was like "The Last Jedi" when in fact the film showed more Jedi. It's either very bad writing or they think they are being funny by being misleading.