The Matrix (1999 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I don't think Yuen Woo-Ping was involved in Matrix 4 which probably impacted the action considerably.

January I will be able to watch it, though we could be in lockdown by then.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Like with previous Matrix films I’m gonna have to rewatch it at some point. A lot to process.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I don't think Yuen Woo-Ping was involved in Matrix 4 which probably impacted the action considerably.

January I will be able to watch it, though we could be in lockdown by then.

No, it was choreographed by a talented German dude. He did well. It took me most of the movie to feel the difference.
  • Little disappointed by this. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t as good as I had hoped for either. Maybe a rewatch will help.
    I didn’t like REVOLUTIONS when it came out in 2003. Many years later after revisiting I came to appreciate it more that I now like it. The thing I realized was that RELOADED and REVOLUTIONS really work as one film with a break (or intermission) in between.

I liked RESURRECTIONS on first watch, but where it ranks depends on how I feel on rewatch, which I’ll do on HBO Max when I have the time. Glad I caught it on IMAX first cause it’s a gorgeous looking film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I always felt Matrix 2 and 3 should have been one 3 hour movie as you can cut parts of both films out.

It was clearly a cash grab splitting it in two, I watched both at the cinema and remember them having only 6 months between cinema release.

Revolutions was a bit lazy in parts and it was all about the end face off, Revolutions just feels like a third act for most of the film, a third act that drags. Though as a fan of the series I have watched it hundreds of times.
    I always thought the end of Revolutions' idea of trying to co-exist with the machines was ridiculous. Nice to see I was correct....
    Not seen Matrix 4 yet though in my head cannon Zion was always in the Matrix and the powers that be would use any tactics to subdue/control Neo.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I always thought the end of Revolutions' idea of trying to co-exist with the machines was ridiculous. Nice to see I was correct....

I loved how the ultimate goal was for peaceful coexistence rather than just a simple “blow up the enemy and we win” Star Wars mentality.

The characters value AI life as much as organic life. That was refreshing. I think it had to be like that, otherwise it’s just another retread of SKYNET.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think the films in the original trilogy got progressively worse.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,687

I loved how the ultimate goal was for peaceful coexistence rather than just a simple “blow up the enemy and we win” Star Wars mentality.

The characters value AI life as much as organic life. That was refreshing.
    What? That's like saying we should just co-exist with our oppressors (like slave masters or Nazis) rather than free ourselves from them.
    The first movie ended with Neo telling the AI how it was going to end. Then 9-11 happened, and the slant changed from freedom to co-existence to promote a message of peace (IMO). The real world badly, sadly influenced the story. Outwitting & disassembling the machines' plan was the only goal that made any sense.... only THEN could we make any kind of peace with them.
    !
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I tried to get through the new film twice and couldn't. I found it aggressively dull. Very disappointing.
    I tried to get through the new film twice and couldn't. I found it aggressively dull. Very disappointing.

Are you a casual fan? Most rabid fans can get through it whether they end up liking or not it seems...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Are you a casual fan? Most rabid fans can get through it whether they end up liking or not it seems...

I actually love the first two films!

I actually love the first two films!

Oh.
    The first one is in my top 10 of all time.
  • The first two Matrix films are great. The first has the stronger story and the benefit of being able to be viewed as its own contained story, but I actually prefer the second. I like all the new supporting characters better here (the Merovingian, Persephone, the "ghost" twins, Link, Niobe), and as revolutionary as the action was in The Matrix, the action in Reloaded is multitudes better. Then Revolutions was one of only two films I've ever been tempted to walk out on... ;)
    I might be out of step here but I don’t think the original was that great a film.

However, what I did thoroughly enjoy in the film was Hugo Weaving’s enunciation. He is perfectly clear, like he’s been on an elocution course. Every syllable is pronounced with great clarity. Even the way he says “Mr Anderson” is a joy to my ear.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I might be out of step here but I don’t think the original was that great a film.

However, what I did thoroughly enjoy in the film was Hugo Weaving’s enunciation. He is perfectly clear, like he’s been on an elocution course. Every syllable is pronounced with great clarity. Even the way he says “Mr Anderson” is a joy to my ear.

Weaving is the perfect personification of A.I. in THE MATRIX. I love his every word. When he's telling Morpheus how badly he wants those access codes to the Zion mainframe, I'm having tons of fun with his acting.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Weaving is the perfect personification of A.I. in THE MATRIX. I love his every word. When he's telling Morpheus how badly he wants those access codes to the Zion mainframe, I'm having tons of fun with his acting.

The first movie defines cinematic perfection for me. Every actor, every line, every bar of music every effect & camera angle... even the second movie drops 3 points for me. This new one rises no higher. Like the Indy movies, none of them can really touch the first in terms of originality & raw perfection, but they all have their magiks.
    The new one isn't a movie. It's a shoddily put together product. It's not even Netflix series level, it feels like a fan did an homage film with some money for digital effects.
    They should have called the original filmmakers brothers back.
    Stamper wrote: »
    The new one isn't a movie. It's a shoddily put together product. It's not even Netflix series level, it feels like a fan did an homage film with some money for digital effects.
    They should have called the original filmmakers brothers back.
    Ha ha, you aren't a big Matrix fan, or you wouldn't have written that. This new one is for the fans, not the general population IMHO.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 8,020

What? That's like saying we should just co-exist with our oppressors (like slave masters or Nazis) rather than free ourselves from them.
    The first movie ended with Neo telling the AI how it was going to end. Then 9-11 happened, and the slant changed from freedom to co-existence to promote a message of peace (IMO). The real world badly, sadly influenced the story. Outwitting & disassembling the machines' plan was the only goal that made any sense.... only THEN could we make any kind of peace with them.

“I didn’t come here to tell you how it’s going to end, I came here to tell you how it’s going to begin

;)

Funny you mention the slave analogy, as that was even more applicable in the ANIMATRIX where humanity treated AI practically like garbage. And the Matrix was formed more out of desperation because humanity intentionally blacked out the skies so to deprive machines of solar energy. Knowing humanity, we are unfortunately capable of that.

But the ultimate victory in REVOLUTIONS wasn’t just peaceful coexistence but the fact that humanity is given a CHOICE: live on the Matrix (which we know there’s those who want that like Cypher) or freedom. What wasn’t foreseen was that there would be an AI civil war with one side trying to entice humanity to stay. But one of the things I was glad to see in RESURRECTIONS was humanity and AI living together peacefully. I was relieved because we’ve seen in other franchise installments like TERMINATOR DARK FATE and THE FORCE AWAKENS awkwardly try to recreate the dynamic of the originals but take away the victory of the heroes.

“I didn’t come here to tell you how it’s going to end, I came here to tell you how it’s going to begin

;)

Funny you mention the slave analogy, as that was even more applicable in the ANIMATRIX where humanity treated AI practically like garbage. And the Matrix was formed more out of desperation because humanity intentionally blacked out the skies so to deprive machines of solar energy. Knowing humanity, we are unfortunately capable of that.

But the ultimate victory in REVOLUTIONS wasn’t just peaceful coexistence but the fact that humanity is given a CHOICE: live on the Matrix (which we know there’s those who want that like Cypher) or freedom. What wasn’t foreseen was that there would be an AI civil war with one side trying to entice humanity to stay. But one of the things I was glad to see in RESURRECTIONS was humanity and AI living together peacefully. I was relieved because we’ve seen in other franchise installments like TERMINATOR DARK FATE and THE FORCE AWAKENS awkwardly try to recreate the dynamic of the originals but take away the victory of sthe heroes.

Okay that was a great post. Always glad when someone shows me the error of my thinking about something. Thanks.
    :)>-
    This movie's rating sure dropped a lot on the IMDb. I think it was at 7.1 the other day, now it's at 5.8.
    Oh well.

Even OHMSS is rated pretty low there.
    It's still 65 on Rotten Tomatoes...
    THE KING’S MAN isn’t faring any better!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I’ve still not had a chance to see it but I’m looking forward to it sometime soon. The snippets of action I’ve seen, though, have me tampering expectations, as they don’t look to be even remotely on the same level of the original trilogy.