Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    YOLT was my #2. A wonderful title track, and for me one of the best.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2021 Posts: 6,721
    YOLT is a great song. Barry really improved over his first attempt at a song for the film (though I do think that first attempt needed a better arrangement to shine more strongly).

I enjoy YKMN too, but to borrow a word from another post, I do find Cornell's voice a bit "shouty" for my taste. It is, however, masculine and powerful; it sounds like a friggin' electric guitar! And the composition is great. I love the last part of the song with Cornell saying "you know my name" over and over again. Good stuff, specially when he goes nuts at the very end-- paradoxically, his "shoutiest" moment, but I don't mind at that point of the song because it works very well for the ending. It's like Shirley Bassey's "forever" at the end of DAF.

They did a cool orchestral arrangement of the YKMN for the 2011 BBC Proms.
    #16 for me. Not the biggest fan, but perhaps I was a little too harsh on it and it deserved a couple of slots higher.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    #12 for me - it's a fantastic song, I love the instrumentals throughout, but I have several other higher favorites. Great work, though, glad to see it rank so highly overall.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    #6 for me. For most of my life I found it too slow and not too much happening in it. But then I really learned to appreciate it for the great song it was, when it played in a different context at the end of one of the Mad Men episodes. I love the Japanese-sounding chords in it, which gives it that interesting Exotica sound. Could also be in my top 3 the next time around.
    Not to deviate the thread too much, but any opinions on the single version of YOLT?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Not to deviate the thread too much, but any opinions on the single version of YOLT?
    What are the differences again?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

They're bigger than Blofeld's volcano lair.

I like this version but I like the other one much better! I wish this one didn't have the double tracking for Nancy Sinatra's voice.

I like this version but I like the other one much better! I wish this one didn't have the double tracking for Nancy Sinatra's voice.

Wow! I had never heard this version before! Thanks, @mattjoes.
    I prefer the film version, for sure.
    #11 on my list. Probably could be higher, Beautiful song
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    In a household run by the world’s most ardent Shirley Bassey fan (Mum), it took me several years to begin to appreciate the beauty that is “You Only Live Twice.” It may the most wistful and romantic of all of the Bond Themes IMO. I had it at #2 in my rankings (behind “Goldfinger”). While the final version is comprised on bits and pieces of Ms. Sinatra’s takes on the song, it still works. The “Nancy In London” version has a more traditional “Nancy Sinatra” vocal take. A lesser version, but one that that is still enjoyable.

And of course, it eventually gave us Robbie Williams’ “Millennium.” Not a direct sampling (contrary to some sources), if this doesn't give you the Connery/Moore Bond era “feels” I don’t know what will!!!!

• edited December 2021 Posts: 6,844
    I'm one of the silver medals. It doesn't get very much more sublime than this (apart from the one song still in the running that tops my own ranking).

I had never heard this version before! Had no idea this existed! It's more upbeat—and I'm not sure that really gels with the more haunting nature of the vocals—but it was an interesting listen, that's for sure!
  • It's tough competition, but I expected YOLT to take silver or bronze!
    It's interesting to consider a couple of instrumental choices that were retained between the Julie Rogers and Nancy Sinatra versions of YOLT. Like the marimba, to create an Asian feel (used much more extensively in the Rogers version though); the background acoustic guitars; and the combination of acoustic and electric bass for the bass line.

I think the Rogers version is a bit unbalanced; exciting in some places and a bit dull in others. I wonder if a subtle string section constantly playing harmonies in the background would have improved the song. There are some stretches with a sparse, uneventful sound.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    And of course, it eventually gave us Robbie Williams’ “Millennium.” Not a direct sampling (contrary to some sources), if this doesn't give you the Connery/Moore Bond era “feels” I don’t know what will!!!!
    Lovely song.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    At number 4 we have:

LIVE AND LET DIE
    From Live and Let Die
    Performed by PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS.

R-14161903-1582803712-9940.jpeg.jpg

LALD is the highest-ranked candidate without a single gold medal. It did receive two silvers and seven bronzes however.

Furthermore it ended up 4th on three occasions, while also securing one 5th, one 6th, one 7th and one 8th spot.

LALD is also the highest-ranked entry to receive a bottom finish, as one member labelled this one as his/her least favourite.

In total LALD’s title song received 155 points.
    4th for me.
    #11 for me. One of the ultimate earworms though.

My top 3 of JB Theme, OHMSS Theme, AVTAK all made the community top 3. Very cool and I’m curious how the order goes!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    My number 2.
    It’s a phenomenal composition and I’m positively shocked that AVTAK, while excellent, will end up at the very least as the top ranked vocal track.
    I had it at number 16. It's a good song, but I'm not a big fan of this style. Some parts I don't like at all. I can't believe it managed to kick several of the Barry songs out.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So we're looking at a top three of AVTAK, OHMSS and the Bond theme ?
    My #3, glad to see it make it so close to the top. It was my favorite title track for many years and still reigns supreme as one of the best the series has to offer.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,810
    My #3 too, I love LALD, no matter how many times I hear it, it still gets the pulses racing! Fabulous theme!
  • My #5. A truly rocking song that was just as great a way to set Moore's Bond apart from Connery's as "You Know My Name" was to set Craig's apart from Brosnan's. Deservedly high placement. But what I'm really stoked about is that the other bookend song of Moore's run, Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill," is the highest placing song!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Ladies and gentlemen, our bronze medalist:

A VIEW TO A KILL
    From A View to a Kill
    Performed by DURAN DURAN.

119505621.jpg

So here we are, the highest ranked title song of them all comes in third.

AVTAK was awarded three 1st places and three 3rd places. There was also one 4th and one 5th spot to be noted.

Furthermore, AVTAK obtained three 6th spots, three 9th spots and three 10th spots.

Everyone ranked this one 14th or higher, except one participant who gave it a 22nd place.

AVTAK’s title song acquired a total of 155 points. That’s the same as LALD but AVTAK received more gold medals, so it wins the bronze medal toss-up.

Right, it appears we’re all sung out now as two instrumental themes will battle it out for the top spot.

The final two places will be revealed at Christmas or Boxing Day. See you then, folks.
    #6 for me, definitely one of my favorites and it may be the most catchy track (especially when it's weaved into the score) in the series for me.
    Also one of the timeless classics for me.
  • #1 for me. Really happy this came in as the #1 song. The first time I saw A View to a Kill, this title track along with the score were two of the biggest things that made this film for me.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    OHMSS vs. The James Bond Theme (DN)?

…..You really can’t go wrong with either choice, but since Spotify informed me last week that the theme from OHMSS was my most played track in 2021 I’m really hoping it wins. For the record “We Have All the time in the World” was my 13tth most played track of 2021.
    tumblr_nxf4xrhP3X1s3y9slo1_500.gifv

In the run-up to NTTD (and especially given the thematic links between the two films), the score to OHMSS was in constant rotation in my household. And as I said, you can’t go wrong with either selection.

Now I have my own choice to make: watch OHMSS on Christmas Eve or do an OHMSS/NTTD double feature on Sunday?

To the late John Barry.... ^:)^
  • An excellent top 5 we are having - happens to match my own although in a different order. I wouldn't have guessed that AVTAK would beat out all the Bassey belters and LALD to take the cake among the songs. Someone should let Simon and the band know!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 6,721
    As well as being exciting, LALD is an interesting song in its structure, in how it switches gears so much, and in the fact it has significant stretches without vocals. Also, the instrumentation is tremendously rich and detailed.

But I do prefer AVTAK. I love it. The 80s sound is complemented very well with the brass hits and especially the string section. I like the flanger synth that plays along the strings, too.

Also, the phrase "lover's rosy stain" is one for the ages.

"John Barry, hello."

Xxiy5ec.gif

Edit: I'm fascinated by the age gap between Barry and Duran Duran. We know they got along well, but I like to imagine composer and band being occasionally annoyed by each other and Barry telling them to get off his lawn. That is, if they were working in a house with a lawn.