Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One of the greats for me, better even than AVTAK. I simply have a lot of affection for this song. I know @Birdleson will disagree. ;-) But see, I was born a few years before this song was written and released. It carries the weight of nostalgia for me. (Same reason some people are really into LALD, and I'm not all that much.) At the same time, it has the sound of one of my favourite Bonds ever; many epic moments in the score sample this theme song with great care.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    #8. I love this song, it’s incredibly catchy and fun and lingers in my head long after the film is over.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Absolutely hate this one, as @DarthDimi pointed out, always have. Only NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN grates on me more. Weak, tinny and dull. Terrible production, as well.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I like Nobody Does It Better. Graceful song with a twinkle in its metaphorical eye. My favorite part is "the way that you hold me..."

And I love The Living Daylights. The opening is terrific as mentioned before, and the vocals are pleasantly varied in timbre. The blend between synth pop and orchestra is very cool, with the former giving the song a contemporary sound and the latter giving it the elegant Bond touch. I love those phrases played on strings and woodwinds throughout the song, especially in that part with the saxophones. That particular section has such a fantastic nocturnal feel.

Incidentally, the Stay on These Roads version of the song is awesome too, as is the instrumental from the 12 inch single. To some extent, the intro of the instrumental manages to improve on the intro of the original version. It lacks the cool orchestra but it has more punch. (Speaking of that, an improvement for the intro of the original song could have been to bring the brass to the front of the mix to make it more striking. But I still love it.)

I also very much enjoy the version by the London Starlight Orchestra.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Absolutely hate this one, as @DarthDimi pointed out, always have. Only NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN grates on me more. Weak, tinny and dull. Terrible production, as well.

On a related note, if I remember correctly, you've mentioned that you dislike the score because it lacks bass end, at least on certain cues. Do you think this is a shortcoming of the arrangements or of the mixing of the album?
    No. 10 for me. Really like this song, I remember back in 1987 this was played everywhere, and the video was frequently screened.
    And I purchased that single too, ah, the good ol' days! Such a pity John Barry didnt have a good experience working with a-ha!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2021 Posts: 6,784
    Probably no surprise to anyone, but this one is the favourite title song of your host :)

I’m glad it made the top 10.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »

On a related note, if I remember correctly, you've mentioned that you dislike the score because it lacks bass end, at least on certain cues. Do you think this is a shortcoming of the arrangements or of the mixing of the album?

Definitely, but I also don't care for the melody as written to begin with.
    Let’s continue with our number 8:

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    From Diamonds Are Forever
    Performed by SHIRLEY BASSEY.

shirley-bassey-diamonds-are-forever-pieces-of-dreams-Cover-Art.jpg

The second one of the Bassey entries received one gold medal and two silvers.

There were also three 5th places, two 6th places, three 7th places and two 8th places.

Only one member rated Diamonds outside the top 20, giving it the 21st place, which was also its lowest score.

In total DAF’s title song obtained 138 points.
    #5. Shirley does no wrong, in my eyes, when it comes to this series and this is another cracking, catchy track that lingers for me.
    I rated DAF #17 but in hindsight, I feel I should have had it in the 10-13 range.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I had Bassey’s DAF at number 7. It is simply superb!!!! Shirley’s delivery (and Barry’s music) actually seems to sparkle with…. diamonds.
    In the “what is better: the song or the film” game, DAF is one of the easier choices.

SHIRLEY…SHIRLEY…SHIRLEY!!!!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #7 for me and I wouldn’t have had any issue with it finishing in first place.
    A superb track with Shirley at her absolute peak.
    I gave this song the gold medal. Barry wrote such a hauntingly beautiful melody, mysterious and a trifle melancholic. Bassey brings her usual vocal power. Unlike the film, DAF the song is a masterpiece. Okay, I'll yield, the film is great too. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I gave this song the gold medal. Barry wrote such a hauntingly beautiful melody, mysterious and a trifle melancholic. Bassey brings her usual vocal power. Unlike the film, DAF the song is a masterpiece. Okay, I'll yield, the film is great too. ;-)

It's hard for me to compare a song to a film but there's no question Bassey's title track is way better than the film itself.
    If I did my list it would be either 1 or 2.
  • I prefer Goldfinger myself, but Bassey's other tracks just missed my top ten. Too many great songs !
    Love this one as well, my favourite of the Bassey tracks.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It's a sexy and playful song... Definitely a top five... Or top three... Or could be tops... Love Bassey
    # 5 for me, but I also could have placed it in first place!
    Wonderful Bond song, and probably the definitive one! Bassey really delivers here!
    Next up, at number 7, rather surprising I’d say, we have:

GOLDFINGER
    From Goldfinger
    Performed by SHIRLEY BASSEY.

R-3213701-1398012560-5099.jpeg.jpg

Two gold medals, one silver and two bronzes for the first ever title song that played over the film’s credit sequence.

One 4th place and four 5th places were also noted, as well as a 7th, an 8th, a 9th and a 10th place, each on one occasion.

No bottom 5’s for Shirley’s best-rated Bond effort, although two participants placed it outside their top 20: one 21st and one 23rd place.

The total score for GF’s title song was 141 points.
    Holy cow. I thought GF would be top 3. It was my #8.
    It’s my #14 but I see it as one of the most classic songs of the series. I’m surprised it didn’t at least make the Top 5.
    LALD reaches higher than GF...? Strange.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    DAF was close to my #10 and I expected it would easily reach them.
    And GF not in the top 5? This is unexpected, altough #7 isn't bad at all in this great competition. GF got my silver medal. Such an iconic song. The ultimate Bond songq, a classic I never get tired listening to.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    LALD reaches higher than GF...? Strange.

Not strange at all. I predict it will finish in the top 3 with good chances for top spot.
    I had GF at fifth place, 4th if we don’t count the instrumentals.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I didn’t expect that from Goldfinger. I figured top five or even top three.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,312
    Shocking, positively shocking!
    I had it at #1, because it is timeless and totally over the top, great lyrics as well. It is beyond me why it did not beat LALD or YKMN...
    There is a cluster of Rock songs in the Top 6, then. It probably simply takes some guitar riffs to please this audience. A lesson to be learned for the future of Bond songs, maybe?
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Shocking, positively shocking!
    I had it at #1, because it is timeless and totally over the top, great lyrics as well. It is beyond me why it did not beat LALD or YKMN...
    There is a cluster of Rock songs in the Top 6, then. It probably simply takes some guitar riffs to please this audience. A lesson to be learned for the future of Bond songs, maybe?

That's how I see it too.
    That is a shocker. #1 for me.