Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    And it works so perfectly with Kleinman’s titles. That gave quite a double fisted powerful start to Brosnan’s tenure, following the surprisingly excellent PTS.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Who might be next? Carly Simon, Chris Cornell ... ?
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,015
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Who might be next? Carly Simon, Chris Cornell ... ?
    My bet is on A-Ha
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Well, you’re all about to find out as we proceed with our top 10:

NOBODY DOES IT BETTER
    From The Spy Who Loved Me
    Performed by CARLY SIMON.

carly_simon-nobody_does_it_better_s_5.jpg

Two gold medals for this Oscar-nominated 007 title track. There was also one 4th place, two 7th places, two 8th places and one 9th place.

Five members rated NDIB outside their top 20, though no bottom 5’s were noted. The lowest score for this one was 22nd, which it did receive on four occasions.

In total NDIB was awarded 123 points.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,808
    No. 12 for me. Probably the song most associated with Rog era! Very solid entry, nicely sung by Carly.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 207
    #19 for me. I know it's a well liked song, but just never did much for me.
    Gold medal for me. One of the greatest songs ever written. I think the one thing missing from the film is that incredible outro.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    #7 for me, a perfect song even on its own.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    We have the same taste in Bond music @StirredNotShaken , I too placed Carly Simon's, Nobody Does It Better in 1st spot. It's a wonderful song, that for me perfectly captures all that Bond is.
    Pity it didn't make it much higher.
    #8 for me and even I’m surprised I placed it this low.
    I certainly wasn’t expecting it to go out at this stage, a top 5 finish seemed much more likely tbh.
    It’s undoubtedly one of the greats, a timeless classic in every way - composition, vocals.
    Indeed, (almost) Nobody Does It Better.
    Personally, I adore this song. Well-written, well-composed and well-performed. It’s a trademark Bond song for me.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A-Ha's "The Living Daylights" better than "Nobody Does It Better"?
    Really folks...... :-O
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Dwayne wrote: »
    A-Ha's "The Living Daylights" better than "Nobody Does It Better"?
    Really folks...... :-O

I believe you that NDIB is the better song. However, I prefer TLD from A-Ha. NDIB is in the middle of my ranking.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One of the few ballads I really like. Good song, but several other songs are simply better for me.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    I’m surprised it’s going out already. Those around at the time, you remember how huge this was? The only other Bond song I remember being as ubiquitous upon release was LIVE AND LET DIE. Well into my Top Ten.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    #11. Great title song for a great, epic installment.
    Empire magazine have just done a top 10 list from their writers
    1. GF
    2. TSWLM (NDIB)
    3. CR (YKMN)
    4. OHMSS (WHATTITW)
    5. GE
    6. LALD
    7. DAF
    8. SF
    9. LTK
    10. TB
    Good list, delighted to see LTK in there!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Empire magazine have just done a top 10 list from their writers
    1. GF
    2. TSWLM (NDIB)
    3. CR (YKMN)
    4. OHMSS (WHATTITW)
    5. GE
    6. LALD
    7. DAF
    8. SF
    9. LTK
    10. TB
    Good list, delighted to see LTK in there!
    I’ve seen worse lists but having LTK in there and not YOLT is frankly absurd.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    That is a pretty strong list, with the only genuine oddities being, as already pointed out by @R1s1ngs0n , the lack of YOLT and the inclusion of LTK.
    Again its a personal thing. There are 4 of their writers discussing it before they vote. Obvious talk like DAD being the worst ( although SP, NTTD and OP come in for a bashing!) and the 3 that Bassey did, but YOLT isn't even mentioned by them, which is bizarre. Personally I would put it in place of SF or GE, as I really love Gladys Knights LTK theme!
    Of all the Bond themes, YOLT and LALD are the only ones that I consider to be true masterpieces, works of absolute genius that transcend the movies for which they were written.
    I give YOLT a slight edge because it’s lyrically superior and generally speaking, one of the most perfectly arranged songs in existence.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    Of all the Bond themes, YOLT and LALD are the only ones that I consider to be true masterpieces, works of absolute genius that transcend the movies for which they were written.
    I give YOLT a slight edge because it’s lyrically superior and generally speaking, one of the most perfectly arranged songs in existence.

LALD I don't get. And yet, I do. I believe it's got something to do with when one was born or how big a fan of The Beatles / Paul McCartney one is. I was born years after the heydays of The Beatles. I appreciate some of their songs but I've never worshipped them. Frankly, I don't think their music was that good, but I respect the milestones they left behind and the bars they raised. Still, that Beatles/McC sound that clearly inspired LALD doesn't thrill me the way it does some. I like it, but I don't think the world of it. Both the song and the score are in my bottom half. Again, not a bad song. I just think most other songs are way better.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    LALD I don't get. And yet, I do. I believe it's got something to do with when one was born or how big a fan of The Beatles / Paul McCartney one is. I was born years after the heydays of The Beatles. I appreciate some of their songs but I've never worshipped them. Frankly, I don't think their music was that good, but I respect the milestones they left behind and the bars they raised. Still, that Beatles/McC sound that clearly inspired LALD doesn't thrill me the way it does some. I like it, but I don't think the world of it. Both the song and the score are in my bottom half. Again, not a bad song. I just think most other songs are way better.
    So, is that a “NO” vote to joining my Peter Jackson “The Beatles: Get Back” 8.5 hour watch along? :))
    Dwayne wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    So, is that a “NO” vote to joining my Peter Jackson “The Beatles: Get Back” 8.5 hour watch along? :))

That is a big no, indeed. ;-)
    I’m on my second watch.
  • No AVTAK in Empire's top 10!
    No AVTAK in Empire's top 10!

My first thoughts as well! Was shocked to see that.
    Next up, our number 9:

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
    From The Living Daylights
    Performed by A-HA.

R-395450-1588349830-8681.jpeg.jpg

The only artists from a non-English speaking country that ever performed a Bond title song, Norwegian pop band a-ha received one gold medal for their TLD effort.

There were also two 4th’s, two 6th’s, one 7th, two 8th’s and no less than five 10th places.

One of only three entries that appeared in everyone’s top 20, TLD has the second-highest lowest ranking, which is 19th on two occasions.

In total TLD’s title song received 130 points.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 207
    Was hoping for a little higher. #4 on my list. #9 is still great though.
    #11 for me. When I was young I always considered this one to be the slightly less attractive brother of AVTAK but it has since grown in my esteem and I now consider it to be the better effort, with Duran Duran following in 12th place.
    It boasts one of the best openings to a Bond song and the verses are excellent.
    The hook is not as strong but overall, a very solid track.