BOND FILM STATISTICS (#11: Licence To Kill Mentions)

14567810»

Comments

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Great job! 🙂
    ✍✍🤯✍✍
    Certainly Aki and Tiger are spoiling Bond in Japan...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Diamonds Are Forever:
    British Grenadiers
    Jon Burlingame's The Music of James Bond states that this version of British Grenadiers was sourced from the Boosey & Hawkes music library. I believe they are now known as Cavendish Music. I looked in their website and I found the piece. This next link should take you to an album titled Archive Collection Vol. 1:

https://search.cavendishmusic.com/track/CAVA0034

Scroll down to track 10, click play and you can hear the track in its entirety. It's only thirty seconds long, but it's the same version heard in the film, except here the sound has more bass to it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    I haven't done one of these in awhile. My favorite is from LTK (fittingly enough).

Every cinematic mention of
    James Bond 007's
    LICENCE TO KILL

DOCTOR NO (1962) M to Bond: "A double-O number means you're licensed to kill, not get killed."
    GOLDFINGER (1964) Goldfinger to Bond: "And members of your curious profession are few in number. You have been recognized. Let's say by one of your opposite numbers, who is also licensed to kill."
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (1969) M to Bond: "I'm well aware of your talents, but a licence to kill is useless, unless one can set up the target."
    THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (1974) Bond (as Scaramanga) to Hai Fat: "And there are very few people who haven't heard of Bond. British Secret Service, licensed to kill."
    THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (1977) Anya to Bond: "Commander James Bond, recruited to the British Secret Service from the Royal Navy. Licensed to kill and has done so on numerous occasions. Many lady friends, but married only once. Wife killed..."
    FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (1981) Gonzales to Those Assembled: "A Walther PPK... standard issue, British Secret Service. Licence to kill. Or be killed."
    OCTOPUSSY (1983) Octopussy to Bond: "And you are James Bond, licensed to kill. Am l to be your target for tonight?"
    A VIEW TO A KILL (1985) Visible on Zorin's Computer Screen, superimposed in text over Bond's mugshots: "License to Kill"
    LICENCE TO KILL (1989) Title, Title Song sung by Bassey, M to Bond: "We're not a country club. Effective immediately your licence to kill is revoked, and I require you to hand over your weapon."
    GOLDENEYE (1995) Q to Bond: "Need I remind you, that you have a licence to kill, not break the traffic laws."
    DIE ANOTHER DAY (2002) Text on Zao's Phone Screen, as a note, along with Bond's info and photograph: "License to Kill"
    SPECTRE (2015) C to M: "Come on, M. You can't really tell me that one man in the field can compete with all of this, running around out there with his licence to kill."
    M in response to C: "Have you ever had to kill a man, Max? Have you? To pull that trigger, you have to be sure. Yes, you investigate, analyze, assess, target. And then you have to look him in the eye. And you make the call. And all the drones, bugs, cameras, transcripts, all the surveillance in the world can't tell you what to do next. A license to kill is also a license not to kill."
    NO TIME TO DIE (2021) Safin to Bond: "James Bond. History of violence, license to kill, vendetta with Ernst Blofeld, in love with Madeleine Swann. I could be speaking to my own reflection."

Feel free to add or amend. I could easily havemissed something. @Creasy47 or @DarthDimi or any the mod, could you update the threads title to reflect the latest subject (#11 LICENCE TO KILL Mentions)? Sorry but as you know I no longer have the capability, and Jason is long gone.

Thanks.

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Great list @Birdleson
    I expected some more mentions. I'm surprised that there isn't a chat about his licence to kill in CR, since it is the movie where he earns it.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Great list indeed. Could be made into an Elimination Game. : )
    Yes!
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Great list @Birdleson
    I expected some more mentions. I'm surprised that there isn't a chat about his licence to kill in CR, since it is the movie where he earns it.

That one surprised me as well, though they sure do talk around it a lot. In fact I was quite taken aback that all three of the first Craig films (as well as the central Brosnan films) avoided mentioning it.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2021 Posts: 6,733
    (Wrong thread!)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You've got it, @Birdleson. Excellent list, by the way.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 538
    I've been doing stats on how often Roger Moore (the truly polite and gentleman Bond) says the words "Thank You!".

The Spy Who Loved Me and A View to a Kill are both tied at 8 "Thank You's". (Stacey says "JAMES!" 11 times in AVTAK though)

The Man with the Golden Gun, the producers notoriously tried to make Moore a darker Bond, hence he only said 1 "Thank You" in the entire film.

Octopussy is Moore's politest outing at a whopping 13 "Thank You's".

My favorite Thank You is in Live and Let Die, when Kananga's henchman shove Bond, and Moore responds with "thank you!".
    Thank you @Creasy47 .
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'm beginning to think it's high time for a new one of these. Have we done PTS length? I got to thinking about that watching TND.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm beginning to think it's high time for a new one of these. Have we done PTS length? I got to thinking about that watching TND.

Yes, someone did it somewhere but I think it was a separate thread.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Yes, someone did it somewhere but I think it was a separate thread.

Someone should find it. I should also update everything for NTTD.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,161
    Good idea @PropertyOfALady !
  • edited October 2023 Posts: 486
    Someone years ago posted here (or maybe in another Bond forum) a complete list of how much screen time each location in each Bond film has. Does anyone remember that? Does anyone have that list?