Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

#7 for me. Honestly could go from as high #7 to as low as #10 depending on my mood that day. I'm surprised it didn't crack the top 10, but there is some stiff competition.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    About right.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Excellent song. But the competition is tough. Still, I'd put this one above LALD, NDIB and a few others any day.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,619
    Close. I had Adele’s “Skyfall” at number 10. Perhaps the most traditional Bond theme in many years, this was a great song for Bond’s 50th anniversary.
    618e948fcf09e42b015d7bea_o_U_v2.jpg

Oprah: Can you believe none of those silly people over in the MI6 Community voted for “Skyfall” as the top song??
    Adele: Well, now that people mistake me for Katy Perry – and have more money than GOD – I don’t care!!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pretty close to mine, I have Adele's SF at 13. Great track, one of my favorites of the Craig era.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,013
    #20 for me. Never understood this song’s appeal to be honest.
    I do like Adele’s voice and the verses are pretty good, but the chorus and bridge are amongst the weakest in the Bond theme pantheon.
    I had it near bottom.
    Drab and dreary, i never liked the song, though you could say it fits the movie well 😁
  • Both the Thunderball and Skyfall themes fit their respective films and title sequences like a glove, but both are in the bottom half for me. Time has not been kind to Tom Jones' powerhouse theme - it feels like pure pastiche now. Skyfall less so, but it's a tough competition and I see at least 13 better title themes.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    I just don't get it (TB). I thought everyone considered it one of the greats, as I always have. In my mind only GF and DAF (and the two classic instrumental openings) possibly rival it. I still find it to be pure perfection.
    Going back to NTTD, here is the demo version.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    vzok wrote: »
    Going back to NTTD, here is the demo version.
    Didn't know that one, thank you!
    I hope it won't stay exclusive to this record store day 7" edition. I've placed NTTD #5

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Skyfall is my #8. Adele has wonderful voice.
    It's almost too perfect a Bond song. It has just the right amount of all of the required ingredients. Maybe that is to a degree to its' detriment in my rankings.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I like Skyfall, but I wouldn't say it's among the best songs. The instrumentation is very cool and there is a suitable, quintessentially Bondian grandness and elegance to the theme, but I find the chorus is a little boring. I think it's got to do with the harmonies mainly. Also, Adele's voice is not quite my cup of tea. It's got the right qualities --powerful, seductive-- but I guess this particular example of that type of voice doesn't totally do it for me. It works well enough, but there are other voices that I've enjoyed much more over the years.

I also think the song could be a little more dynamic. After a certain point, it explodes, musically speaking, and gets quite intense and busy, and it doesn't ever really change gears. Even the instrumental break in the middle is quite "charged". The chorus is a bit too much.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    SF ranked 9th for me. I love Adele, she's got such an amazing voice. But the Bond titles are one of the toughest to rank. With a list of many, many great tracks over the years.
    Looking forward to the top ten. Though I don't think my personal #1 will achieve its goal.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's almost too perfect a Bond song. It has just the right amount of all of the required ingredients. Maybe that is to a degree to its' detriment in my rankings.

Do you have a ranking for these, even though you didn't participate? Would love to see it.
    I can redo it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    We’re only a small step away from our top 10, but first it’s time to reveal our number 11:

GOLDENEYE
    From GoldenEye
    Performed by TINA TURNER.

e7cbfaba43e08eb278ff21081001

With GE we arrive at our first gold medal winner, which took longer than in previous games.

One member gave it the first place, while two members gave it a bronze medal. There was also one 5th, one 6th, two 8th’s and one 9th spot.

GE is not only the lowest-ranked overall with a gold medal to its name, it’s also the first of only three entries that was ranked in the top 20 by every single participant. The lowest finishes for Tina were two 20th places.

In total GE’s title song obtained 122 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am very happy the song made it this far. Now here's a modern Bond classic, if I can call it that. An excellent song, and quite unique too. The product of a collaboration between highly talented people. And sung to perfection by one of the most phenomenal musical voices in recent history. I also love the lyrics very much. Add Kleinmann's perfect titles to the experience, and you will understand why the GE OT sequence is my favourite of all the Bonds.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Much as U2 annoys me, that is an excellent song. Top Ten for me.
    Great song, #9 for me. I love the atmosphere of the song and Turner’s vocals.
    #6 for me. Incredible song and one I find myself listening to quite a lot.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #17 for me. It’s an ok song for a movie I don’t really care about.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,387
    Noooooo! The top ten was so close! My favourite didn't make it.

GE has my favourite title sequence and my favourite song. The combination is perfection. The song for itself remembers me of GF but in a more modern way. The opening of the song is great, the atmosphere, the voice...wonderful. GE and GF are outstanding songs and my definition of a Bond song.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    13th for me, so not far off. Decent song, and I love that Tina Turner did a Bond title.
    No. 19 for me! Great choice of singer in Tina Turner, but quite meh song! Probably down to the fact that U2 were involved! Kleinmans title sequence was more memorable!
    Turner did better for Mad Max!

GE has my favourite title sequence and my favourite song. The combination is perfection. The song for itself remembers me of GF but in a more modern way. The opening of the song is great, the atmosphere, the voice...wonderful. GE and GF are outstanding songs and my definition of a Bond song.

I was hoping it'd manage to hold out and make the Top 10, as well.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I can see the connection between the two songs. For me, the main parallel (not the only one) lies in the vocals. Both Tina Turner and Shirley Bassey have incredibly powerful voices. I love how Tina sings the word "GoldenEye"; very extravagant, sexy, exciting, a little dirty. Very Bond!

I agree about the opening of the song. It is perfect: it goes to the point and instantly gets one's attention. I love the transitional moment between the opening and the beginning of the first verse, in which the strings and brass go quiet and for a few beats we're left with only the percussion and that pizzicato phrase.

In the longer version of the song, I also love that sound in the intro that I always say sounds like a cat's meow. Awesome!

In the chorus, I like what the piano is playing and how the music keeps building and building. Compared to the verse, which is more sparsely orchestrated and has a slightly "looser" feel to it, the chorus sounds more busy, mechanical. It has a clockwork feel to it, in a good way.

I've always liked this song, but in recent years I've found myself liking it more and more. I wouldn't say it's among my top favorites, but it's a terrific song nonetheless.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    mattjoes wrote: »

I can see the connection between the two songs. For me, the main parallel (not the only one) lies in the vocals. Both Tina Turner and Shirley Bassey have incredibly powerful voices. I love how Tina sings the word "GoldenEye"; very extravagant, sexy, exciting, a little dirty. Very Bond!

I agree about the opening of the song. It is perfect: it goes to the point and instantly gets one's attention. I love the transitional moment between the opening and the beginning of the first verse, in which the strings and brass go quiet and for a few beats we're left with only the percussion and that pizzicato phrase.

In the longer version of the song, I also love that sound in the intro that I always say sounds like a cat's meow. Awesome!

In the chorus, I like what the piano is playing and how the music keeps building and building. Compared to the verse, which is more sparsely orchestrated and has a slightly "looser" feel to it, the chorus sounds more busy, mechanical. It has a clockwork feel to it, in a good way.

I've always liked this song, but in recent years I've found myself liking it more and more. I wouldn't say it's among my top favorites, but it's a terrific song nonetheless.

In the longer version, I particularly like the final part of the song, which is missing from the film version.

All in all a great song though, I had it in my top 10.
  • A couple of great ones back-to-back here. I really enjoy both "Skyfall" and "GoldenEye." The latter is my #3 (of the title songs at least). Turner was an inspired choice for the vocals. There's something that feels really seductive and dangerous about the song.