Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Benny wrote: »
    I'm shocked to see MR go out at 15th!
    The universe is off kilter.

Sorry that I contributed to this shock. I ranked MR #18...
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Our number 14:

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE THEME
    From From Russia with Love
    Performed by JOHN BARRY & ORCHESTRA.

ab67616d0000b2735bdead760c8124642c21447f

Six top 10 spots for this instrumental title track: one 4th place, two 6th’s, one 8th, one 9th and one 10th.

Only one member ranked it outside of the top 20, giving it the 21st spot, which was also its lowest score.

Everyone else ranked it between 11th and 20th.

FRWL’s title track received a total of 108 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a great opener to a great film. My favourite part is when the Bond Theme kicks in.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What a bummer for MR, it's my #4 favorite. Atmospheric, beautiful vocals by Bassey (as always). That whole score is perfection.

The FRWL theme came in at 17th in my list. Great bit of music but I have plenty of favorites that rank above it.
  • The FRWL theme is one of my all-time favourite Bond tracks. I'd love to hear instrumentals of other title songs merged with the Bond theme like in this track.
    I had FRWL at 20. Doesnt do a whole lot for me, just ok!
  • "Moonraker" is the least of Bassey's three in my book. The melody itself is quite lovely (and Barry makes terrific use of it in his score), but there's something very sleepy about the production of this song. I still like it, but there are quite a few others that place higher in my ranking.

I love the opening notes of the FRWL title theme and enjoy the track as a whole, but it's hard for an instrumental track to compete against the greater impact of a well-produced song as the film's title track for me. Matt Monro's song would have rated much higher. It's one of my favorites in fact.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's a great opener to a great film. My favourite part is when the Bond Theme kicks in.

Same here. And I love the opening/closing brass, and the organ.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    #15 for me. Melody-wise, the song is very much grounded in the late 1950ies. In the vocal version I particularly like the part starting with "I've seen places, faces". It is both uplifting and melancholically happy. That it is only at 15 says a lot about the quality that is yet to come.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    My #4. A bit surprised it went out that early. I also like it much more than Munro's song.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It's my 15th, I like it a lot, the instrumental blending beautifully into the Bond theme, but there are many more that I'd rate above it...MR for one. ;)
    Reaching the top half, at number 13 we have:

THUNDERBALL
    From Thunderball
    Performed by TOM JONES.

tom_jones-thunderball_s_1.jpg

Tom Jones’s TB effort received two bronze medals, as well as one 4th place, one 8th place and three 9th places.

Only two members placed this one outside their top 20, one of those was a 23rd place, giving TB one bottom 5.

TB’s title song obtained a total of 108 points.

That’s the same amount as FRWL’s title track, but TB wins the toss-up thanks to its two bronze medals.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,598
    Thanks @GoldenGun.

That Tom Jones's "Thunderball" is "only: at number 13 speaks to the quality of the Bond Theme songs. I had a-ha dropping out long before this (number 16), but I guess many people like it more than I do.

Of course, and discussion of TB has to include this....
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    GoldenGun wrote: »

THUNDERBALL
    From Thunderball
    Performed by TOM JONES.

B7AB.gif
    My undisputed #3. I adore everything about this song and TJ belts it out like his life depends on it. And coupled with that stunning title sequence it's made even better.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,378
    I'm one of the two very likeable guys who gave TB the bronze medal ;)
    Unfortunately my first song from the top 10 which is out of the game. I like the powerful instruments and the voice. GF and TB are the classic and outstanding Bond songs from the last century. I would rank only one song even higher.
    Btw I can't believe I've never seen Weird Al's Bond spoof before. It had me roaring for 3 minutes straight.
    Had TB at #12, so very close!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a good song. In fact, I think it's almost as good as GF.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's a good song. In fact, I think it's almost as good as GF.

It's almost as good because it's a little better ;)
  • I suppose I did have "Thunderball" right about here myself, but it's still kind of surprising to see it go out now. Fantastic song. Tom Jones really belted this one.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I have it in a three-way tie for number one, has been since I was a kid.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

THUNDERBALL
    From Thunderball
    Performed by TOM JONES.

B7AB.gif
    My undisputed #3. I adore everything about this song and TJ belts it out like his life depends on it. And coupled with that stunning title sequence it's made even better.

This leads to at least three bronze medals and not only two?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 6,682
    Another great song. It's very dynamic; there is always something interesting going on in the background.

I love Spy Hard too. I also enjoy listening to the instrumental.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »

THUNDERBALL
    From Thunderball
    Performed by TOM JONES.

B7AB.gif

This leads to at least three bronze medals and not only two?
    Oops, you are right. My mistake.
    In this particular ranking TB is actually my #4.
    I forgot we are also including instrumentals, which means the James Bond Theme now occupies 3rd place.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    My votes did not get included, so don't let my comment throw anyone's calculations off. I probably would have ended up putting it 2nd or 3rd.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This one came in at 20 for me. It's a great song, I just have way too many favorites over it.
    My votes did not get included, so don't let my comment throw anyone's calculations off. I probably would have ended up putting it 2nd or 3rd.

Sorry, forgot that you didn't have the time to vote. Your vote would have helped to improve TB's final ranking.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,311
    This is a quintessential classic for me and although I had it spot-on at #13, right now I prefer to listen to other Bond songs. But it truly deserves a podium place up there with... Goldfinger?
    Have TB at 18. Good, but not outstanding! Apparently Ol' Tom nearly passed out on that final note!
    At number 12, we have:

SKYFALL
    From Skyfall
    Performed by ADELE.

Adele-4-jpg-1349404396.jpg?w=480&h=0&q=100&dpr=1&fit=crop&s=QsLPgT9odWonJfxBoeYj1g

SF landed on every spot in the top 10 at least once, with the exception of the three highest places.

It reached the 4th, the 5th, the 6th, the 8th, the 9th and the 10th spot all on one occasion. Three participants gave it the 7th place.

No bottom 5’s for SF. One member gave it the 22nd spot, which was its lowest ranking. This was also the only placement outside the top 20 for this Oscar-winning Bond hit.

In total SF’s title song received 119 points.