Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

#14 on my list. Always enjoyed it and like how it’s incorporated into the score.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Fairly close, as Garbage's TWINE came in at 16th for me. I really enjoy it, mysterious and moody enough (and I've always been a Garbage fan in general, which helps).
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Strong one.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #14 for me but it its relatively average ranking betrays its undeniable quality.
    It’s an excellent song and a classic in my book.
    It’s just that I like the thirteen songs ranked ahead of it a bit more.
    This one is terrific, I just can't really place it any higher (I feel like I run into the same problem with Thunderball, where it seems like I'm middling on it based solely on the ranking but I think it's a masterful song).
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2021 Posts: 6,778
    Like most things TWINE, I’m also quite fond of its title song. I listen to it quite often.
  • Not a fan of much from TWINE, including the title song: #26 for me.
  • #7 for me. A great melody from David Arnold and a great performance from Shirley Manson. But what really makes this song so terrific in my eyes are the lyrics written from the perspective of one of the series' most twisted and most interesting villains. The lyrics of Bond songs don't always make sense, but when they do, they're great.
    I generally rank this one in the mid teens, but that always seems too low. It’s such a great song, and it’s so Bondian, but there’s just too many other great ones, iconic ones, out there.
    Before we dive into the top 15, we first have a look at our number 16:

NO TIME TO DIE
    From No Time to Die
    Performed by BILLIE EILISH.

Billie-Eilish-No-Time-to-Die.jpg?fit=640%2C640&ssl=1

The latest addition to the series received two top 5’s: one 4th and one 5th place. There was also one member who gave it the 9th spot.

At the other end there were three bottom 5’s: two 24th places and one 25th.

Thirteen participants ranked it between 11th and 20th, with 15th being its most frequent ranking, on four occasions.

In total NTTD’s title song collected 104 points, making this one our first entry that crosses the 100-point mark.
  • Still warming to this one. It's a fine song in its own right. I'm sure I will come to like it even more and more, given time. Perhaps as with the middle of Moore's run, three slower ballads in a row was just too much of the same.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm liking NTTD more and more. I'm not really a fan of Billie Eilish, but this track is really growing on me.
    I think I placed it too low, I had it at 16th. I'd probably move it into or just outside the top 10 to be honest.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had this song at #9. I think it's an emotional song, simple yet 'Bondian' to a fault. It builds and builds and reaches a great climax.
    Yeah, I'd now have NTTD at least a couple spots higher than when I did my ranking.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had this at 24th, I really don't like it. It's better than WOTW but not by much. The pretty solid title sequence helps hearing it within the film for me.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 207
    #13 for me. Not a song I’d listen to in my spare time, but I find it fits the film well. So it moved a couple of slots higher because of that.
    About right.
    I had it at 24 too. Just does nothing for me. Admittedly it does work following the pts, and with Kleinmans excellent titles. But its not a song I would listen to outside of the film! And coming after 2 dreary other efforts was too much!
    edited November 2021 Posts: 6,778
    I think I was the one putting it 4th, once again giving an entry its highest score.

Unsurprisingly I really love this song. It’s my favourite of the Craig era.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Cool song. Bondian in instrumentation and harmonies. The vocals feel a bit too, uh, "emotional", in a couple of moments of the first half of the song, but I don't mind it too much as Billie Eilish's timbre is very pleasing to the ear, and when the song gets more energetic in the last minute, the singing is especially good. I only wish they had kept the wah-wah trumpets they played at the recording session. I'll end up adding them back myself!

I think this song might very well be my favorite of the Craig era, as well. Only You Know My Name could represent serious competiton.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    When the NTTD song was released, I thought it was a bit too slow and somehow too minimalistic. However I liked it more and more over time and it worked in the movie as great as I expected. My #11.

• I have TWINE at #11. I continue to be seduced every time I hear it, can't help it! And NTTD at #15, so very close to the result here. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the adequate finishes for both songs.
    It’s top 15 time, beginning with number 15:

MOONRAKER
    From Moonraker
    Performed by SHIRLEY BASSEY.

R-6229202-1414257345-2969.jpeg.jpg

The first of the three Bassey songs to go out, maybe also her lesser known Bond hit, but still with quite a few fans: it received one 3rd place and three 4th places.

Furthermore there was also an 8th spot, a 9th spot and two 10th spots. Not many detractors either, five members ranked this one outside the top 20, four of those were 22nd places, which was also its lowest score.

MR’s title song obtained a total of 107 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One of my favorites.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #9 for me. There is perhaps no other Bond song that has so consistenty climbed up my rankings over the years. I just love this song and the way its gorgeous melody and arrangements transport the listener - indeed, like floating in space.
    While Goldfinger may be Shirley's most iconic performance and Diamonds is arguably her best, her undersated delivery on this one is probably my favorite of the three - quite something, considering she didn't think much of it herself.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 538
    Moonraker theme is bottom 5 for me: one of the least progressive songs.

I'm not a fan of songs that can only exist in context of the film (i.e. TB, GF, MR). It feels more like a theme song for a kids superhero cartoon than a song of an artist's own expression.

Songs are at their best when they are companion pieces to the film. When the song can work well by itself, but also happen to work really well with the film. A song shouldn't tell us the plot of a film; it should make us feel what the film is trying to make us feel.

I rarely listen to MR theme. When would I listen to it? I'm not gonna blast it in my car. Am I going to play it while I'm doing laundry, or while I'm sad listening to my headphones, or while I'm happy and trying to celebrate something? Am I gonna play it in the gym to pump myself up while I work out? None of these really.
  • Ranked it 13th, but after my recent rewatch it derserves higher. Great track.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Absolutely fantastic song, and one of my favorite Bond themes: beautiful, elegant, lyrical, mysterious. The superb lyrics cleverly use the plot point of space travel as a jumping-off point to talk about the search for that enigmatic, elusive something which is beyond ourselves, whether in love or in the stars, and which we hope will provide us with fulfillment. A universal subject. The music is full of grandeur, and it's vintage romantic Barry.
    MR is a beautiful song. No. 8 for me, I prefer it to GF, and Bassey does a wonderful job singing it!
    Also love the jazzed up version at the end titles!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm shocked to see MR go out at 15th!
    The universe is off kilter.