Quick Big Mi6 Title Track Ranking Game

Comments

• That aside, the sound is pure Barry and I see it as a good companion track to WHATTITW.

It's funny you say that as around when OP was released was also about the time the tides of OHMSS' reception began to shift, wasn't it? And OP, now that I think about it, does sort of feel like Bond finally moving on with his life once and for all about 15 years after Tracy.

Yep, like Craig-Bond also taking 15 years to move on from Vesper.
    That just made me realize another link between Tracy, Octopussy and Madeleine Swann - they are all daughters of criminals, two of whom had a prior history with Bond (Maj. Dexter Smythe and Mr. White).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My top-20 is still completely intact. I'm really looking forward to the next batch.
  • “All Time High” made my top 15! This was one I’d never given much thought before, but then I fell in love with the melody through some of Barry’s instrumental orchestrations, like “That’s My Little Octopussy,” and I came to see the whole song in a new light. I really think it might be my favorite of those soft, romantic ballads that dominated the middle of Moore’s run.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I was the sole 9th place vote for "Another Way to Die." I remember not really being sure what to make of this song when I first heard it on the radio but definitely thinking it was not as good as "You Know My Name." But this is one that has aged very well for me. I love that for Craig's first two films—his young, hard-hitting, "Bond Begins" films— he has harder edged rockers for his title songs. "You Know My Name" and "Another Way to Die" both go so well with that era of Craig's Bond. I love that this is an atypical Bond song and yet that it feels so very Bondian and so perfect for its film at the same time. The crash-bang-wallop of the instruments and disharmonious harmony of White and Keys may grate for some, but they're music to my ears. "Bang, bang, bang, bang..."

(...)

Similarly, "The Man with the Golden Gun" is one of my bottom-most ranked Bond songs. The end credits version, "Goodnight, Goodnight," does start off sounding rather lovely, but then it goes right into the part of the title song that I like the least. "Jaunty" might be a good word for this one too—or "bouncy"—and the lyrics are about on par with Rage's "Make It Last All Night." It's not a terrible melody, as evidenced by some of Barry's score, but this one does sound like it was trying (unsuccessfully) to recapture some of the hard rock magic of "Live and Let Die."

Let's take the best of both worlds. ;)

His eye may be
    On you or me
    Who will he BANG BANG BANG BANG
    We shall see

Well you know, you could mash up the lyrics of the entirety of both songs, and between everyone who dislikes “The Man with the Golden Gun” and everyone who dislikes “Another Way to Die” you will have created a song that no Bond fan could possibly enjoy.

A phone on the table
    Has come to a glittering end
    A man on your side
    Or crouched on a rooftop somewhere
    Another gun thrown down
    In the next room or this very one
    Hey! Hey!
    It’s just another
    Assassin who’s second to none
    Singing what you wanna hear
    One golden shot means another bill from a killer
    Another blinger with the slick million dollar skill
    Shoot ‘em up
    For a price he’ll erase anyone
    Whoa-oh-whoa-oh
    Oh yeah!
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My top-20 is still completely intact. I'm really looking forward to the next batch.

Apparently mine wasn't submitted, but it would already have been greatly compromised.
    Well you know, you could mash up the lyrics of the entirety of both songs, and between everyone who dislikes “The Man with the Golden Gun” and everyone who dislikes “Another Way to Die” you will have created a song that no Bond fan could possibly enjoy.

A phone on the table
    Has come to a glittering end
    A man on your side
    Or crouched on a rooftop somewhere
    Another gun thrown down
    In the next room or this very one
    Hey! Hey!
    It’s just another
    Assassin who’s second to none
    Singing what you wanna hear
    One golden shot means another bill from a killer
    Another blinger with the slick million dollar skill
    Shoot ‘em up
    For a price he’ll erase anyone
    Whoa-oh-whoa-oh
    Oh yeah!

I love this.
    Birdleson wrote: »

Apparently mine wasn't submitted, but it would already have been greatly compromised.

I'm sure TLD would have sunk a lot lower. ;-)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    At number 20, we have:

TOMORROW NEVER DIES
    From Tomorrow Never Dies
    Performed by SHERYL CROW.

935189686.jpg

The title song for Pierce #2 featured in one top 10, which was a 7th place.

Most members, 18 to be exact, placed it somewhere in the higher teens and the lower twenties.

Four bottom 5’s were noted, the lowest score was one 24th place.

In total the title song for TND received 68 points.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TND came in at 18th in my ranking. Way better songs out there but I enjoy parts of it. However, ‘Surrender’ is infinitely better and I wish it was used as the main title song instead.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,002
    #16 for me. I find the song to be actually quite good with some excellent arrangements, but it’s (the) Crow’s singing that takes it down a few notches.
    Granted, she co-wrote the track but giving it to a more capable singer would have made it infinitely better.
    No.22 for me! Another awful song. Never really rated Sheryl Crow.
    I don't find the song horrible, just not really all that good. Sounds to me like Sheryl wrote herself a song she couldn't really sing herself (hence all the shouting.) Like many, I guess "Surrender" would have worked better for me over the OT.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 207
    #20 for me also.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »

I'm sure TLD would have sunk a lot lower. ;-)

My lowest official EON title track for sure.
    It's a good song. The intro is cool.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    #20 for me also.

Me too. As mentioned by others, Sheryl Crow doesn't seem to strike the right note sometimes.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I agree. On reflection after listening to them all on CD in a row last year I decided TND is my favourite Brosnan Bond title track.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 928
    I've been to a music of Bond pops concert two times with visiting singers from the States, and singer Capathia Jenkins' gorgeous rendition of TND was one of the highlights for me. Unfortunately Crow doesn't do it for me.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

I agree. On reflection after listening to them all on CD in a row last year I decided TND is my favourite Brosnan Bond title track.

I really like how slinky and shimmering the instrumentals are in this one, and I find Crow's voice perfectly sultry for the song. It's got a great violin intro, too. "Surrender" is undeniably the better song, but I find this a case of getting two really fantastic title songs in one!
    Moving onwards with our number 19:

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
    From For Your Eyes Only
    Performed by SHEENA EASTON.

R-2631850-1376909618-4149.jpeg.jpg

The highest rating for Oscar-nominated FYEO in this contest was one 5th place. Additionally one 9th place was also noted.

There were five bottom 5’s as well, with a lowest placement of 26th, on one occasion.

Fair to say though most members ranked it somewhere in the middle, with 14 placements between 11th and 20th. Four people rated it 15th, which was its most frequent ranking.

FYEO secured a total of 87 points.
    Ow... this comes as a surprise to me. Pretty good song. Then again, the competition is toughening up quite a bit.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    #22 for me. Never liked it, never will.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    #17 for me, and a song I really like. It gets even better when accompanied by the lovely Maurice Binder visuals.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    #17 for me, and a song I really like. It gets even better when accompanied by the lovely Maurice Binder visuals.

I placed it quite a bit higher, but I agree with you nonetheless, fine song and even more so when it’s paired with Binder’s title sequence.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TND I placed in 20th place, but FYEO is in 11th spot. A much better title track than 19th I feel. But then Sheena's not for everyone. ;)
    Thats me again with no 9 position for FYEO.
    Like this theme a lot and Easton belts it out with gusto. Will echo the praise for Binders title sequence, one of my favourites!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    15th for me. It’s not a perfect song but is overall catchy and fun to belt out poorly as the film plays.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,598
    This is a bit of a surprise (I had FYEO at #12). This means that Bassey's MR ranks higher? Interesting.........

PS. Agree about the song and Binder's titles. Didn't he have a major crush on Easton?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    15th for me. It’s not a perfect song but is overall catchy and fun to belt out poorly as the film plays.
    #15 for me also. Not the best, but gets stuck in my head every time I watch FYEO.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    This is a bit of a surprise (I had FYEO at #12). This means that Bassey's MR ranks higher? Interesting.........

PS. Agree about the song and Binder's titles. Didn't he have a major crush on Easton?

Well he did stick her head in a clamp, to keep it still while he filmed!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    FYEO is very low in my ranking. The theme works during the later scenes but the song doesn't fit the more serious Moore film, imo. Not a bad song at all, but a bit too slow for my taste.