Cary Joji Fukunaga - Appreciation Thread

Comments

The whole PTS alone is enough for me to state that I'm very happy with Fukunaga as director: The tension in Norway (VERY good), the moment where Bond is standing in front of the grave (touching) and suddenly the explosion with the changed sounds when he is on the floor (smart and very effective) and then the action kicks in (the moment on the bridge, the jump to Primo on his bike, and then later the often mentioned moment where they are "captured" and surrounded in the DB5. This moment is easily a top ten moment of the franchise for me. So intense: The direction and the acting are absolutely stunning there. I can't get that moment out of my head for weeks already.
    Thank you, Cary Fukunaga.

The PTS is perfect. It has everything I want from a Bond movie!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jobo wrote: »
    The whole PTS alone is enough for me to state that I'm very happy with Fukunaga as director: The tension in Norway (VERY good), the moment where Bond is standing in front of the grave (touching) and suddenly the explosion with the changed sounds when he is on the floor (smart and very effective) and then the action kicks in (the moment on the bridge, the jump to Primo on his bike, and then later the often mentioned moment where they are "captured" and surrounded in the DB5. This moment is easily a top ten moment of the franchise for me. So intense: The direction and the acting are absolutely stunning there. I can't get that moment out of my head for weeks already.

I completely agree, it is easily some of the best directed scenes in the franchise. The film itself had many highlights but there’s something quite magnificent about the first 20 minutes, it really is a perfect opening with the way the coldness of Norway is juxtaposed with the fairytale language of the Matera scenes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »

I completely agree, it is easily some of the best directed scenes in the franchise. The film itself had many highlights but there’s something quite magnificent about the first 20 minutes, it really is a perfect opening with the way the coldness of Norway is juxtaposed with the fairytale language of the Matera scenes.

Here to hop on the "in agreement" train with you lot.

I haven't mentioned it yet on here, I know others have, but I love the jump scare we get in Norway in the PTS; it's very effective.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Best PTS we’ve ever had in my opinion.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I haven't mentioned it yet on here, I know others have, but I love the jump scare we get in Norway in the PTS; it's very effective.
    Watching the opening 20 mins in full IMAX has to be the most intense and amazing theatrical experiences I’ve had.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I've seen it 5 times and from start to the "5 years later" card I always had 28 minutes of goosebums.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Watching the opening 20 mins in full IMAX has to be the most intense and amazing theatrical experiences I’ve had.

I really wish I could've seen it in IMAX. I was going to last year, when it was opening at the same time here as it was in the UK and I didn't have a baby, but that put a stop to those plans this month. It was still a blast in regular theaters, even if mine had some audio issues seemingly.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    It is an absolute treat in IMAX. Seeing it again tomorrow (4th time) in a regular old cinema like I did the 2nd time. Kinda wished I could see it in IMAX again but it is what it is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    CJF is an immense talent
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,416
    Iam curious how much he at or removed from the script / let remove footage by the editors.

Besides missing more Italy, inspevialy there is missing Jamaica footage in the movie as i said in delete scenes thread and missing lair story with Safin. Of course i am happy on this moment after one view with pacing and there try to make it more standalone.
    So are we allowed to discuss the allegations made against Fukanga by an actress who auditioned for True Detective in here?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    So are we allowed to discuss the allegations made against Fukanga by an actress who auditioned for True Detective in here?

I don't see why not? I haven't heard about that.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Seems something you’d only be spurring on because of how deeply hurt and offended you were by NTTD.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Minion wrote: »
    Seems something you’d only be spurring on because of how deeply hurt and offended you were by NTTD.

Ah, there’s an agenda.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Having read her account, it doesn't seem like Fukunaga has much to answer for. It sounds like the producers led her up the garden path while he, as a director, was very clear about what he needed. When it wasn't going to work, she was let go. It sounds like it surely was a terrible experience for her, however, and that is unfortunate. But it sounded like she thought it was something that it ultimately wasn't.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Minion wrote: »

Ah, there’s an agenda.
    There always is with him.
    Just bringing it up because it’s in the news.Was wondering what was going on with that.

For the record,Iv got nothing against the fellow.Never met him,don’t know him,could care less if he made a great Bond movie,or a terrible Bond movie.And an allegation is just that until it’s been proven there was ill intent.
    I read that, but don't get it. A director wants to shoot a nude scene, but the actress doesn't. So he gives up. Maybe there was a misunderstanding between the agent and the actress. She gets replaced. There's no reason to drag the director in the mud in public.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,416
    Hand of Cary Joji Fukunaga in NTTD: Where do you see his contribution ? besides use of hints to Japan i mean.

I already own one movie from him (Jane Eye from 2011 with Judi Dench) on BD since 24 October 2018. In review that i read about Jane Eye that is fan of natural light and use candels in the movie.

Are some people mabey consider Martin Campbell have been a better choose or that Cary Joji Fukunaga is the new Martin Campbell. Because NTTD have a lot of remembers of Goldeneye. With 25 years (1995-2020) i hoped a view, but it be more then i expect and very subtil. In story or in the background. We know that P&W not always be that subtil (Die Another Day), whyle of course NTTD made mistake with re-using Armstrong.

The other way around that he was fan of AVTAK i don't see back exept in locations (again.. as in that's nice Skyfall to kill for.) and deaths in the movie.

I've watched the movie multiple times with friends online (in addition to theater showings) — and every viewing that scare gets someone good. It's awesome!
    BMB007 wrote: »

I've watched the movie multiple times with friends online (in addition to theater showings) — and every viewing that scare gets someone good. It's awesome!

Yes, I've had the same experience ;))
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,035
    I love Fukunaga and Sandgren's use of overhead shots in the movie.

- Safin approaching the Swann house
    - Young Madeleine on the cracking ice lake
    - The DB5 doing doughnuts with the machine guns
    - Bond in the Cuban Spectre party
    - The tracking shot of London and the V8 Vantage at the MOD
    - The V8 Vantage approaching the Swann House in Norway
    - The overhead shots in the Norway chase

To me, Fukunaga is a director who demonstrates that he "gets" Bond, unlike say Forster or Tamahori (or even Mendes in Spectre). There is a definitely energy and urgency, a 'crackle' if you like, to his direction, especially in the action sequences. And they are very well blocked and shot, confidently so. He knew what he wanted in terms of look and style. Very little shakey cam in the action too (staircase fight aside, but even then it is always clearly visible) and clean, considered editing.

I can take issue with narrative elements of the movie, but from a directorial and pure technical perspective, it is very strong.
  • The thing with NTTD that I keep coming back to is that despite being 163 mins and emotionally weighty, to me, it is easily the most rewatchable of the Craig era because it has such great energy. The Mendes films were a little austere and in the case of Skyfall it worked but Spectre felt like it was trying desperately to be fun and it just couldn’t sell it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes - great energy, this movie! It never dragged and visually each part of the story had the right tone and energy. Actors brought their A game. Cary's touch is evident throughout, and his camera shots really made the most of each scene. This movie sparks, uplifts, brings us viewpoints from above and sweeps us into close, personal shots. Cary is a gifted director, gets actors to feel free to give their best. He did a superb job with the exciting action sequences and the quiet moments. He is a great storyteller and director.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited December 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Regardless on where you stand plot-wise, I think Cary did an incredible job directing NTTD. He had a near impossible task. Somehow he managed balance the raw energy of earlier Craig entries with a smooth gradually snowballing emotional journey… all wrapped up with beautiful shots and camera angles and has a undeniably Bond feel.

I do think “Cary’s Version” is likely 10-15 mins longer — I want to see more Jamaica, more villain motivation, etc. But I understand the pressure to keep it well under 3 hours.

He absolutely needs to return to the Bond director’s chair one day.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 372
    Cary's first name is the first name of the guy Cubby originaly intended as Bond.

He needs to be back.
  • Fukunaga's directing experience with low budget films and tv episodes really paid off here, because he knows how to get the most out of every scene.

Even the sequences I wasn't too keen on from a writing perspective still have a focus and energy that helped them ultimately work for me.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Cary Fukunaga on writing, shaping and shooting No Time To Die.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Contraband wrote: »
    Cary Fukunaga on writing, shaping and shooting No Time To Die.

Thanks for sharing. I like Fukunaga, he's very talented and I'd happily have him back for Bond 26. I'd be interested to see what he'd do with a clean slate
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I've seen NTTD 5 times now and it has never dragged. It's incredibly well paced and has never felt like 163 minutes.

His direction is first rate and unpretentious. Much like Martin Campbell in a lot of ways. Would love him to do another one 👍