The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Gat a couple of bargains last night on Amazon and eBay the Saint
    Monochrome boxset and the Colour boxset <:-P So I'll be watching
    The Saint for ages to come. :D I've already got the Return of the
    Saint Boxset.
    On the commentaries on The Saint, One of the Technicians told of how
    One day a lady arrived on set, He asked her name and she replied
    Dorothy Squires, Mrs Moore. So he showed her to Roger's room. Later
    Talking to Roger he said that his wife was waiting foe him, Roger asked
    " Luisa " er? No he replied. Only to hear Roger cry " OH NO !" and run up
    to his room. To find all his suits soaking in the Bath.
    I guess Dorothy still was angry over the divorce.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yikes!
    It is funny from watching the Monochrome Saint episodes, how several actors
    appear in several adventures. I'm guessing because of the lack of American or
    Canadian Actors in the UK.
    Just noticed tonight watching The Saint " The Noble Sportsman " in which Anthony Quale plays a wealthy sportsman who’s life is threatened. The curious thing is he Drives an Aston Martin with a familiar number plate BMT 216A ?

Found this on Google about the car.
    The aston has the same number plate as Goldfinger because it is the same car the db5 prototype used in the saint before it was adapted with gadgets for Goldfinger the same car also appeared with roger again in the cannon ball run although by then it had a different number plate given to it when aston martin resold it after the bond film

Sir Roger in Spectre . Fun fan trailer.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 1,469
    I watched Moonraker a few days ago, and one thing I forgot to mention in another thread is the stylishness of Roger's wardrobe or how well he wore clothes. We see this in several of his films, but the image that keeps coming back from MR is of Bond during his fight with Chang in the Venice glass museum. Bond's in all black, including a black dress shirt with a slightly large 70s-style point collar. While sword fighting, the look evinces notions of a romantic bygone era but doesn't look out of place for 1979.
    @Thrasos Roger had style. He's have looked good in Jeans and a T shirt. ;)
    @Thrasos Roger had style. He's have looked good in Jeans and a T shirt. ;)
    Well put @Thunderpussy!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That actually came to mind looking at Bond in LALD recently.

There's also the saying that "Elvis is the only person who ever looked good in bell bottoms." I think Roger could give him a run for his money.

40B551B200000578-4535900-image-a-34_1495582396661.jpg
    5c52a8fe0328cac715a7ff52260ece96.png
    9a9b344136589336568db8d09efc6a20.jpg
    moore-KDNH_o_tn.jpg
    Watching a YouTube short documentary on Married with children. It stated that it was a guilty pleasure of Roger Moore's.
    Watched a documentary called AUTOPSY-THE LAST HOURS OF ROGER MOORE last night. Never seen this series before and very insightful. Covered Sir Roger's life and various health issues over the decades and his final few weeks. Wonderful to see his family interviewed as well as actors like Michael Caine. Still, not sure how I felt about the show as I'm certainly a fan that was affected by his passing, and some of the coverage was moving.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 13,384

Ultimate trailer.

Roger Moore Heroically Saved Britt Ekland From On Set Explosions In Bond
    The Dick Cavett Show
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That actually came to mind looking at Bond in LALD recently.

There's also the saying that "Elvis is the only person who ever looked good in bell bottoms." I think Roger could give him a run for his money.

40B551B200000578-4535900-image-a-34_1495582396661.jpg
    5c52a8fe0328cac715a7ff52260ece96.png
    9a9b344136589336568db8d09efc6a20.jpg
    moore-KDNH_o_tn.jpg

I love these photos, especially the last one which looks unposed, because they suggest that Roger rather took a shine to that blue outfit which Bond wears in the San Monique scenes and just took to wearing it himself :D
    Just read the subjects for tonights Mastermind quiz, among them 'Sir Roger Moore' if anyone wants to test their knowledge??
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I actually found that a pretty tough round: you've got to really know your Roger.
    Just tried my hand at the Mastermind questions on Sir Roger.
    I agree with @mtm , some tough questions but I was happy
    with the score of 6 I got, one less than the contestant :D
  • Antster007Antster007 Somewhere, keeping the British end up
    I don’t think the Bond Franchise would still be going without Sir Roger. No other actor would have been able to follow Sir Sean and build upon his legacy.
    October '81 : FYEO french premiere
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    Ah, Sir Roger Moore. A gentleman, a racconteur. humanitarian and all around an exquisite specimen of a human being. Charming and suave with a velvety voice and a great sense of humour.

His Bonds are "Bond comfort food" for me. When I look for a slight relief from stress, a slight diversion from real life, I often pop in some of his Bonds and enjoy two hours of solid entertainment - often listening to his commentary tracks. Even though his portrayal was far from my preferential Bond he made the role his own, and like it has been said he was the most consistent of the actors in the role. Always top notch, always on point.

He was also a lot better actor than he or the critics admitted him to be. I mean, modeling for knitwear and not looking like an utter fool proves it! :D Apart from Bonds I really enjoy his work in The Persuaders!, The Wild Geese and North Sea Hijack. I've always had an opinion that his role in that dreadful comedy was not the first time he played a gay character - it could be argued that the character of ffolkes was gay, and playing the first gay action hero on screen is in itself commendable. So here's to you Sir Roger Moore, you were one of the good ones. Actually you were one of the best.
    He not here to see Daniel Craig final 007 movie No time to Die. Although 6 years ago he was alive to see SPECTRE.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    JoBlo Videos: James Bond Revisited: Roger Moore

• M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 538
    Agent7F wrote: »
    He not here to see Daniel Craig final 007 movie No time to Die. Although 6 years ago he was alive to see SPECTRE.

That's really unfortunate he ended the Bond franchise on a low note.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 735
    I hope I'm not double posting something here. And the host is a bit of a dope, but here's Rog at his cool, charming & unflappable best - both before Bond & during a promotional tour for FYEO:

• edited November 2021 Posts: 526
    I grew up watching Moore’s Bonds in the 80s. Primarily watched them on ABC Sunday Night at the Movies as reruns. My first Bond movie at the theatre was AVTAK and I was excited beyond belief. I really enjoyed him as a child. However, as time went on, and I saw Dalton become Bond, I became less fond of the Moore movies. Not his fault, as they are (for the vast majority) extremely slapstick and goofy. Why EON choose to go the cheesy route, I have no idea. He had flashes of brilliance, and you could see that he could have been Fleming’s Bond with proper material. Was he a great actor? No. Was he a good actor? No. Was he mediocre? Yes, that’s my assessment. Unlike many, I think AVTAK is his best Bond. Moonraker his worst. I’ll never be able to unsee the double-taking pigeon-that is absolutely horrendous. It’s simply hard to digest James Bond as a comedy figure-I mean, the man is an assassin, right? How many assassins are goofy in nature? Granted, I’ve never met one, but I have read about them, and Moore’s Bond is a far cry from that interpretation (dressing up as a clown). Moore’s Bonds did teach me one thing: I never want to see the comedy schtick in Bond flicks ever again. I do like Moore better than Connery, Brosnan and Lazenby. He made the most of his talent, but he did make James Bond out to be a satirical spy character that stereotyped the franchise as a comedy show for a long time. See Austin Powers. As a person, which is what counts, he was an inspiring human being. I loved how he defended animal rights. Bravo to Sir Roger.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    I assume this has been posted here before?

https://www.google.be/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/07/30/brilliant-sir-roger-moore-story-goes-viral-will-brighten-day-13058150/amp/

Haynes had first met his hero when he was seven years old and in an airport with his grandad.

He wrote: ‘As a seven year old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and I saw Roger Moore sitting at the departue gate, reading a paper. I told my grandad I’d just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad has no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words “my grandson says you’re famous. Can you sign this?
    …continue reading via the link

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Roger has to be the most likeable star in the history of cinema...

Giving autographs, allowing young fans to suspend their disbelief (he often confided to young Bond-fans that he was actually 007 and that 'Roger Moore' was just a cover)... forever appreciative of his incredibly lucky lot in life.

Roger was of course known for his wit and self-deprecation - when a bedroom scene was needed he famously turned to his female co-star and said, dryly:
    "I'd like to apologize in advance if I get an erection during this....... - and if I don't."

Moore often joked (although he wasn't half wrong :> ) that he couldn't run or fight to save his life, even for the camera.
    The thought him being James Bond was ludicrous to the man himself - but he never, ever, made light of what an honour it was to be entrusted with this iconic piece of cinematic heritage, and he was never dismissive - Roger was incredibly respectful of how important 007 was to all fans, young or old.

I guess the unavoidable onset of age-related cynicism, along with a heightened appreciation for the craft that Dalton and Craig brought to the role made me, for a while at least, more critical & dismissive of Moore's sometimes goofy and more often than not tongue-in-cheek take on the character.

But it is exactly as I age, become (fractionally...) better at being a father, husband, friend and - hopefully - better at being a human being, that I have come to appreciate Roger Moore's credo and contribution to the world of James Bond, a whole lot mo(o)re - life is far too short to take yourself - or work - too seriously. People are what matters most.
    The man was a great ambassador for the James Bond universe during the 2nd half of his life, and it is fitting I think to consider his most life-affirming quote, which shows him for what he truly was - a star for the people, a genuinely heartwarming man, and above all else, a great humanist:

- "Teach love, generosity, good manners and some of that will drift from the classroom to the home and who knows, the children will be educating the parents..."

Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Dedicated to @ToTheRight