The ROGER MOORE Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Roger is mentioned in Jeremy Clarkson's most recent Sun column:
    No Dan? Moore's the man

Apparently Daniel Craig was fed up with saying: “The name’s Bond. James Bond.” Well, I’m sorry, my precious, but you’re not getting any sympathy here. If you’ve worked in a poultry farm for 40 years, you can say you’re fed up with chickens.

And if you’ve worked on the railways all your adult life, you can say you are looking forward to a retirement without trains. But you, Mr Craig, only said that line FIVE times. Which is hardly taxing, is it?

No matter. There’s talk about who will replace him in the role. And because Bond is so woke and #MeToo these days, we cannot rule out the possibility that the role will be given to Diane Abbott or Janet Street-Porter.

Some of me hopes he really does die in the new movie, as has been rumoured. But if he doesn’t, might I suggest the part is given to a chap called Geoffrey Moore?

I met him at a party once and was impressed by his louche, charming style, his clever eyebrow work and his bright orange skin that even David Dickinson would call “over the top”.

I’m not sure he can act. But that doesn’t matter because neither could his father Roger... and he was the best Bond of them all.
  • BondHQBondHQ Heysham, Lancashire
    Have just seen that 88 Films Ltd are releasing a Blu-ray edition of North Sea Hijack, starring our beloved Sir Rog, in March of next year. Definitely one for me.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Movie-Television-Studio/88FilmsOfficial/posts/
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Revelator wrote: »
    Roger is mentioned in Jeremy Clarkson's most recent Sun column:
    No Dan? Moore's the man

Apparently Daniel Craig was fed up with saying: “The name’s Bond. James Bond.” Well, I’m sorry, my precious, but you’re not getting any sympathy here. If you’ve worked in a poultry farm for 40 years, you can say you’re fed up with chickens.

And if you’ve worked on the railways all your adult life, you can say you are looking forward to a retirement without trains. But you, Mr Craig, only said that line FIVE times. Which is hardly taxing, is it?

No matter. There’s talk about who will replace him in the role. And because Bond is so woke and #MeToo these days, we cannot rule out the possibility that the role will be given to Diane Abbott or Janet Street-Porter.

Some of me hopes he really does die in the new movie, as has been rumoured. But if he doesn’t, might I suggest the part is given to a chap called Geoffrey Moore?

I met him at a party once and was impressed by his louche, charming style, his clever eyebrow work and his bright orange skin that even David Dickinson would call “over the top”.

I’m not sure he can act. But that doesn’t matter because neither could his father Roger... and he was the best Bond of them all.
    What a load of garbage. Didn't realize Clarkson wrote for The Sun.
    Complete and utter trash, just like that tag as a whole. Clarkson has no idea what he’s talking about. To say Sir Rog couldn’t act is very odd. He was great in his Bond movies, and who can forget his stellar performance in The Man Who Haunted Himself. Clarkson and The Scum can get stuffed.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sadly Roger made it look effortless, so many think it must be easy. The truth is
    to make it look effortless takes a massive amount of skill and talent.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 17,291
    Clarkson is right about one thing though:

"... and he was the best Bond of them all."
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 2,896
    In other news, Roger's long-unavailable film Street People will finally be released on Blu-Ray next week:

738329240363.jpg
    Brand New 2K Master! Screen greats Roger Moore (The Spy Who Loved Me, Gold) and Stacy Keach (The Long Riders, The Ninth Configuration) co-star in this hard-hitting Euro-Crime thriller of a Mafia deal gone bad by cult filmmaker Maurizio Lucidi (The Designated Victim). An ancient cross, stuffed with a cache of pure heroin worth millions, is transported from Sicily to a catherdral in San Francisco. Three workers supervising the loading of the huge icon are brutally murdered and their attackers make off with the precious cargo. Enraged by this escapade, the district’s Godfather calls on sly attorney Ulisse (Moore), who in turn enlists the help of his friend and getaway driver Charlie Hanson (Keach), to get to the bottom of the dilemma. Across two continents, the pair stalk their prey with deadly precision in a heart-pounding race against time, until the final confrontation—a bloody battle to the death.
    Clarkson is right about one thing though:

"... and he was the best Bond of them all."

Quite true.

Revelator wrote: »
    In other news, Roger's long-unavailable film Street People will finally be released on Blu-Ray next week:

738329240363.jpg
    Brand New 2K Master! Screen greats Roger Moore (The Spy Who Loved Me, Gold) and Stacy Keach (The Long Riders, The Ninth Configuration) co-star in this hard-hitting Euro-Crime thriller of a Mafia deal gone bad by cult filmmaker Maurizio Lucidi (The Designated Victim). An ancient cross, stuffed with a cache of pure heroin worth millions, is transported from Sicily to a catherdral in San Francisco. Three workers supervising the loading of the huge icon are brutally murdered and their attackers make off with the precious cargo. Enraged by this escapade, the district’s Godfather calls on sly attorney Ulisse (Moore), who in turn enlists the help of his friend and getaway driver Charlie Hanson (Keach), to get to the bottom of the dilemma. Across two continents, the pair stalk their prey with deadly precision in a heart-pounding race against time, until the final confrontation—a bloody battle to the death.

Sounds awesome. Great poster.

Wish they brought back this style of painted poster for Bond.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Wish they brought back this style of painted poster for Bond.

I do too! Far more dynamic, rich, and eye-catching than the bland photo montages that are the rule nowadays.

They should ask Paul Mann to do some Bond posters:

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I wonder why they haven t . Paul is the mann.
    They should do 100 limited edition posters in this style for every film. They'd make a fortune.
    Getafix wrote: »
    They should do 100 limited edition posters in this style for every film. They'd make a fortune.

Could not agree more! I have the Jeff Marshall litho's from DN all the way to LTK. They really do make a great feature wall! :-bd

I wonder why they haven t . Paul is the mann.

He certainly is!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2019 Posts: 23,369
    Roger Moore - A Matter of Class

I will watch this later.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I will watch this later.

I saw it last night on Amazon Prime then found it on YouTube, its a good watch
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I will watch this later.

I saw it last night on Amazon Prime then found it on YouTube, its a good watch

Excellent to hear. Always enjoy a good documentary on anything Bond related.

I watched this when it aired, Sir Roger such a class act
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Ah, Terry Wogan - he’s not quite Parky but they’ve got the banter!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2019 Posts: 6,730
    Roger often repeated this point about it being impossible that a spy could walk into any bar in the world and be recognized by the bartender. But did that ever happen in a Bond film? I suppose Bond appears to gain some notoriety as the films go along, given his reputation among Spectre members, Tiffany Case's reaction at his supposed death, and Scaramanga's admiration for him. But that is among a certain group of people --criminal people--, not among barmen the world over. Furthermore, would being recognized by barmen imply making for a poor spy? In real life, I don't think so. If a government agent needed to travel a lot, it would make sense that his cover, his pretend job, would also be one that required frequent traveling, and thus the idea of getting to know certain people in certain hotels and bars, would be perfectly compatible with that pretend job. In the case of 007, his cover is Universal Exports. (Of course, anyone could become a spy in the right situation. You could recruit a civilian to engage in espionage activities from within their real-life job, in which case he wouldn't even need a cover.)

My point is that his argument for explaining Bond is outrageous is not correct. Bond is outrageous, but not for that reason.
    Golden Gun turns 45 today......
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tracy wrote: »
    Golden Gun turns 45 today......

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Golden Gun is in my bondathon list this weekend :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    2Xy2LNX.jpg
    sCLbBaO.jpg
    cjeSfqF.jpg
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 5,185
    A smoking guy, smoking in a smoking. Smokeception.
    I have not watched this previously, it popped up on my suggested videos.

This interview is from 2015
    I have not watched this previously, it popped up on my suggested videos.

This interview is from 2015

Charming and funny.