NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions NO SPOILERS please

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Having so far seen NTTD only once, at this point as a Bond film i would place it behind CR, probably on a par with SF, but above the somewhat dull SP, and definitely above the so short, super fast edited mess of QOS.

If the Craig era has given us anything, it's a different Craig-era-rating for seemingly every single person, which truly is a great thing.

There's a website someone here posted once (I'll link it below), where you compare two Bond films repeatedly until you get your final ranking, and I did it recently and accidentally (?) put Spectre at the top! I do love Spectre, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than all the rest, lol.

https://sorta.app/q/1029/

SP was pretty good, and in some parts very good, but the sum of all the parts was somewhat underwhelming. The film was painfully slow in some scenes.

I actually agree with you completely here, except for your last sentence. Even with the parts that were bad, I've always felt SP runs along at a good clip.
    Having so far seen NTTD only once, at this point as a Bond film i would place it behind CR, probably on a par with SF, but above the somewhat dull SP, and definitely above the so short, super fast edited mess of QOS.

If the Craig era has given us anything, it's a different Craig-era-rating for seemingly every single person, which truly is a great thing.

There's a website someone here posted once (I'll link it below), where you compare two Bond films repeatedly until you get your final ranking, and I did it recently and accidentally (?) put Spectre at the top! I do love Spectre, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than all the rest, lol.

SP was pretty good, and in some parts very good, but the sum of all the parts was somewhat underwhelming. The film was painfully slow in some scenes.

I actually agree with you completely here, except for your last sentence. Even with the parts that were bad, I've always felt SP runs along at a good clip.

.......it was very slow in the Spectre boardroom scene.

I mean it wasn't fast-paced, but it never felt slow to me because it successfully built tension (IMO). I love that scene.

I mean it wasn't fast-paced, but it never felt slow to me because it successfully built tension (IMO). I love that scene.

Thinking of SP.......how come Hinx didn't make a reappearance in NTTD?

I would have liked him to, but I guess that Jaws-Train thing was fatal after all.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 7,500
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Going for my third watch, probably this weekend... on IMAX.

Then, like God, I shall pass definitive judgment on the film. I hope history will be kind to me.

(Okay, not really definitive judgment, but I'll have a more stable, robust opinion.)

When you said you would be god, my first thought was that you were going to
    "sneak under people's skin"...
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,279
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see some of the "I don't know if I'll be returning to this often" reactions from people who enjoyed or even loved the film. I think NTTD is going to become the Bond film I revisit the most. It's a tremendously entertaining piece of cinema, it takes my attention and holds it firmly for 163 minutes, and I find it to be a loving, unwavering tribute to the character of James Bond and what these films represent. I'm not sure which Bond film I've seen the most (I had TSWLM and LTK practically on an alternating repeat as a kid, so one of those seems most likely), but I could see NTTD becoming my most-watched by the time I'm 30.

I really don't think I can watch this one again. The only other Bond film I felt that way about was DAD. I have erased that one from my memory, and never thought I would have to again until this steaming turd came along.

Oh you do surprise me, if only you'd been going on about your disapproval of the film and it's conclusion and going into all threads on the forum about NTTD and pouring your misery out.

Also tagging anyone that was in the same ball park as your opinion and going on about how so right they were.

If only that had happened we might not have been so surprised by your remark above, please do next time Willy give us more clues before you state such an opinion, you really caught us all of guard with this.

So you mean people who like the film can repeat the same post over and over again, and back slap anyone else who agrees with them, but those who don't like the film are not allowed to do the same on a Bond forum? Is that how it works in your eyes?

Sorry if I caught you off guard. It won't happen again.
    I'm surprised to see some of the "I don't know if I'll be returning to this often" reactions from people who enjoyed or even loved the film. I think NTTD is going to become the Bond film I revisit the most. It's a tremendously entertaining piece of cinema, it takes my attention and holds it firmly for 163 minutes, and I find it to be a loving, unwavering tribute to the character of James Bond and what these films represent. I'm not sure which Bond film I've seen the most (I had TSWLM and LTK practically on an alternating repeat as a kid, so one of those seems most likely), but I could see NTTD becoming my most-watched by the time I'm 30.

I really don't think I can watch this one again. The only other Bond film I felt that way about was DAD. I have erased that one from my memory, and never thought I would have to again until this steaming turd came along.

Oh you do surprise me, if only you'd been going on about your disapproval of the film and it's conclusion and going into all threads on the forum about NTTD and pouring your misery out.

Also tagging anyone that was in the same ball park as your opinion and going on about how so right they were.

If only that had happened we might not have been so surprised by your remark above, please do next time Willy give us more clues before you state such an opinion, you really caught us all of guard with this.

+1. Of course there is room for all opinions here (hopefully), but there's nothing constructive to add (and add, and add...) if you've open and shut the case for yourself, and are only interested in creating a little echo chamber of the exact same opinion for yourself (in tagging and engaging only those that agree).

-1 There's nothing constructive to add either when members here say `I've seen it again for the 29th time, and I love it even more this time round,' creating another echo chamber.

Works both ways pal.... ;)
    If you don't like Craig's portrayal and prefer the surface level playboy, with witty quips who we don't really have any other understanding of after that, then yes his bruised, battered version is likely to wind you up.
    So I prefer Fleming to the films. I have LTK and CR in my top 5. I LOVE Craig in CR, and cannot stand any Brosnan film.

So how does your summary work out which kind of Bond I prefer?

I'am very surprised by Jetsetwilly's response to NTTD, as based on his views on previous Craig films he had nothing but praise for them..........i wonder why he's done a 180 degreee U-turn?

Shhh! Keep that quiet mate. The NTTD lovers here have now put me firmly in a `I hate Craig' camp. Letting them know this will blow their minds. ;)
    I've gotta say, I just love @jetsetwilly being around on these boards.

It's funny, I too have tried erasing DAD from my memory banks and avoid watching it again, but due to the amount of times its been shown on various movie channels when I'm abroad, it's probably the one Bond stinker I've seen the most of in recent years. Not out of personal choice, mind. It's like a bad car crash—I just can't stop watching and look away.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    QBranch wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Going for my third watch, probably this weekend... on IMAX.

Then, like God, I shall pass definitive judgment on the film. I hope history will be kind to me.

(Okay, not really definitive judgment, but I'll have a more stable, robust opinion.)
    Have fun @mattjoes!

And if you really are Léa Seydoux, then you've got God-like covered.

Thank you! And thank you...
    bondsum wrote: »
    I've gotta say, I just love @jetsetwilly being around on these boards.

Thanks mate, very kind of you to say.
    I don't think the NTTD lovers will agree with you there, but hey ho!
    :))

+1. Of course there is room for all opinions here (hopefully), but there's nothing constructive to add (and add, and add...) if you've open and shut the case for yourself, and are only interested in creating a little echo chamber of the exact same opinion for yourself (in tagging and engaging only those that agree).

-1 There's nothing constructive to add either when members here say `I've seen it again for the 29th time, and I love it even more this time round,' creating another echo chamber.

Someone beat you to this comment, and I agreed with them. You can read my response above if you care to.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    He might if only for another excuse to be contentious.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited October 2021 Posts: 3,985

I should probably keep my mouth shut as a forum newbie, but I daresay it goes both ways. I have seen people here go in circles praising NTTD to high heaven, and express disbelief and discontent at anyone who dares disagree.

Exactly right.

Some of the comments on these discussions really do border on the militant at times. Hard to believe sometimes that this is a James Bond forum 😆

I should probably keep my mouth shut as a forum newbie, but I daresay it goes both ways. I have seen people here go in circles praising NTTD to high heaven, and express disbelief and discontent at anyone who dares disagree.

Some of the comments on these discussions really do border on the militant at times. Hard to believe sometimes that this is a James Bond forum 😆

Well, sorry I suppose for my part in that; I really was agreeing with @NeverSayNever on the subject.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Well, sorry I suppose for my part in that; I really was agreeing with @NeverSayNever on the subject.

@NickTwentyTwo
    Not directed at you mate, just my general observation during various discussions on these forums.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Re: this forum and "echo chamber"
    I am here praising NTTD a lot - but I do not disparage people who have different viewpoints. Those who hate it, same thing - just don't express horror, make fun of, or disparage those who disagree with you. But love it or hate it or find it middling (few do), it is okay to keep giving your opinion. It's a new Bond film, we are excited or disappointed. I think only when people bash the other's viewpoint, be truly mean or brazenly snarky when somebody does not agree with you; then it gets ugly and stupid and a harmful echo chamber. Otherwise, carry on. We are not here to say: Well, I gave my full opinion once or twice and that's the limit. Just stay respectful. I am flying the positive NTTD flag proudly. Carry your own flag, but just be respectful of others.
  • I think one

SPECTRE as an organisation hasn't dabbled in druidism. Had Hinx been been ritualised with the curse of thorn, he'd definitely be back.
  • Wondering why someone would do a 180 degree turn on NTTD after praising all the previous Craig films is like wondering why someone would do a 180 on DAF after praising all the previous films.

It happens. Where is it written that one must love all films of a particular actor ?

Someone beat you to this comment, and I agreed with them. You can read my response above if you care to.

Thanks
    Minion wrote: »
    He might if only for another excuse to be contentious.

So I'm contentious now because I don't like a film you do. :))

You seem to be ok for people repeating their love of NTTD on here, but not for anyone disliking NTTD and repeating themselves.

You do know this a forum, right...? :)
    You do know this a forum, right...? :)

That's lost on many around here. They think it's our "echo chamber". Us, the detractors.

I love Craig's Bond, I love Brosnan's Bond. I didn't like SP and NTTD, and I hate DAD. I adore Connery's Bond, I don't like YOLT or NSNA, and I hate DAF. I don't particular like Moore's Bond, and I love every single one of his films. I adore Lazenby's Bond and his film. And I prefer, above all of these, the novels.

So, there... ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    We like people sticking around stating the same opinion over and over again in multiple threads, I think it might be time for me to leave again.

Also @jetsetwilly the second part wasn't aimed at you just the first part and I stick to my comments, @Getafix did a similar thing with Skyfall, I wonder if you can keep your criticism of NTTD up that amount of time.

You must of have a lot of time on your hands to respond to the amount of posts you do on one film in multiple thread, it is only a film when all said and done.

Your reaction and effort would suggest something much more serious, well each to his own.

"Time to leave"

Your reaction and effort would suggest something much more serious, well each to his own.

I guess being a lifelong fan (spending a fortune in the process) and feeling angry at what they've done to it has made my reaction and effort far more serious than it probably be should be.

I have not felt this angry about a movie since DAD, but I eventually got over that, so in time I'll get over this as well. I guess me getting my frustrations out on a forum helps me, but it doesn't help the people who love the movie. Sorry for that. If you wish to help me by being my therapist, I'm all in. How much do you charge?

I also noticed there are other members here endlessly repeating and posting their love for NTTD, yet I haven't seen you dish out the same criticism to them, having time on their hands, etc. Is it because they share your point of view, so they are exempt? :D
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,333
    You must of have a lot of time on your hands to respond to the amount of posts you do on one film in multiple thread, it is only a film when all said and done.

Tut-tut @Shardlake. I honestly expected more of you than to stoop so low. That's a bit rich when you've posted over 4,043 comments over a similar timespan to @jetsetwilly's less-than equal number of posts. Then to crown it off by implying that he must have deeper underlying problems to reply to his detractors, or have more time on his hands, is also rather pitiful. There's some members here with over 40,000 comments. Why don't you save your potshots for those members where there might be more justification for it?
    bondsum wrote: »

Tut-tut @Shardlake. I honestly expected more of you than to stoop so low. That's a bit rich when you've posted over 4,043 comments over a similar timespan to @jetsetwilly's less-than equal number of posts. Then to crown it off by implying that he must have deeper underlying problems to reply to his detractors, or have more time on his hands, is also rather pitiful. There's some members here with over 40,000 comments. Why don't you save your potshots for those members where there might be more justification for it?

Thanks @bondsum. I was going to comment on what you highlighted above, but thought better of it, as I'm guessing the fact that @Shardlake even thought such a thing, he is carrying much deeper underlying issues of his own... ;)
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526
    I guess being a lifelong fan (spending a fortune in the process) and feeling angry at what they've done to it has made my reaction and effort far more serious than it probably be should be.

I have not felt this angry about a movie since DAD, but I eventually got over that, so in time I'll get over this as well. I guess me getting my frustrations out on a forum helps me, but it doesn't help the people who love the movie. Sorry for that. If you wish to help me by being my therapist, I'm all in. How much do you charge?

I also noticed there are other members here endlessly repeating and posting their love for NTTD, yet I haven't seen you dish out the same criticism to them, having time on their hands, etc. Is it because they share your point of view, so they are exempt? :D

This is the main point of contention; myself and those who may disagree with you fundamentally will say they've done nothing to damage the franchise, they've just told yet another James Bond story. There does, I will say, seem to be this sentiment that the creative decisions in NTTD have "personally affronted" certain fans of Bond and left them offended, to which I say, perhaps your identity is too wrapped up in Bond?

You say you've spent a fortune on being a James Bond fan and this always raises red flags for me; there are many ways to be a big James Bond fan, spending a fortune on memorabilia / travel / what have you is certainly one way, but it isn't the only way. A person can avoid spending a single dime, and go to the library and immerse themselves in the novels and films and be just as big a fan. All that to say, I wonder if its the type of fan that spends thousands of dollars (and then displaying that fact for others in an attempt to legitimize themselves to others, perhaps) that is more likely to feel attacked by this sort of creative decision. Just musing.

This is the main point of contention; myself and those who may disagree with you fundamentally will say they've done nothing to damage the franchise, they've just told yet another James Bond story. There does, I will say, seem to be this sentiment that the creative decisions in NTTD have "personally affronted" certain fans of Bond and left them offended, to which I say, perhaps your identity is too wrapped up in Bond?

You say you've spent a fortune on being a James Bond fan and this always raises red flags for me; there are many ways to be a big James Bond fan, spending a fortune on memorabilia / travel / what have you is certainly one way, but it isn't the only way. A person can avoid spending a single dime, and go to the library and immerse themselves in the novels and films and be just as big a fan. All that to say, I wonder if its the type of fan that spends thousands of dollars (and then displaying that fact for others in an attempt to legitimize themselves to others, perhaps) that is more likely to feel attacked by this sort of creative decision. Just musing.
    I fall into both categories - spent a fortune on Bond lifestyle, and immersed myself into the novels and films (particularly the Fleming books), so not sure what kind of red flag that raises for you.

What offends me more than anything is the films drifting further and further away from Fleming after CR. Had NTTD given us the ending of YOLT (properly adapted), this may sound bizarre to you, but I'd probably have the film suddenly sliding into my top 5, maybe even edging to one of my favourite films.

But choosing should a radical departure instead, straying again into a territory that Fleming didn't write (despite the occasional cliffhangers - FRWL and YOLT), I just find it very disappointing.

I appreciate others here take the films for what they are, and are not bothered if any of Fleming's work ever sees the light of day again on screen, and are not bothered by such a final dramatic ending either.

I'm jealous, as I really wish I could be in that happy camp too.