NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions NO SPOILERS please

Comments

• Draco20Draco20 USA
    Loved the movie and loved seeing Madeline. The PTS rocked. Seeing the gun barrel at the start of the movie: thank you, thank you.
    I have no issues with the runtime. I was so enjoying and engaged.
    I would rank it as third among Craig's films (behind CR and SF)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I wish I could have seen NTTD in a cinema in Matera ...
    just saw this, which is pretty cool:

I hope to visit Italy next summer.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    What Craig fans react to is rhetoric like this:

1. - "People who like his later films can not be real fans".
    2. Bombastic statements that claim the series is now "ruined" with the assumption that this is a widely held opinion.
    3. Unfounded claims that these films are woke, feminist or PC.
    4. The claim that his films are breaking sacred "rules" based on basically nothing.
    5. Endless and repetative bickering.

Don't forget foolish sentiments about Barbara Broccoli not knowing how to make a Bond film (but a nagging entitled fan does.)
    :))

“The only thing I know is that I know nothing”
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 2,594
    Well, today’s the day. Can’t believe I’ll actually be seeing a new Bond film in around a couple of hours. I’ve done so much in the past six years since the last one. It’s strange when you think of it like that. I wish I wasn’t aware of the ending now. Won’t be checking out non spoiler threads/reviews anymore. It doesn’t work.

It’ll be interesting seeing it in 3D. Never seen a Bond film in 3D before.
    Overall i loved it!!!!!
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    Best character in the film was Valdo Obruchev.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Yes, absolutely.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I certainly enjoyed him.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    OOWolf wrote: »

He sounded a lot like Borat....
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    OOWolf wrote: »

He sounded a lot like Borat....

Now you bring it up, this could distract me next time ;)
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,378
    I like him the most in his first scene ("I like animals") and later when he sees that his weapon works and kills all SPECTRE members.
  • He was alright but the film kind of overplayed his goofiness.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    He was alright but the film kind of overplayed his goofiness.

Yes, it was a bit much on the island. Nomi should have knocked him out properly.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I certainly enjoyed him.

Indeed, but I also liked Ash and Primo a lot. It's actually my favourite set of henchmen in the series.
    marc wrote: »
    I certainly enjoyed him.

Indeed, but I also liked Ash and Primo a lot. It's actually my favourite set of henchmen in the series.

I personally wouldn't go that far, but, as I said somewhere, I do like all of the new characters.
  • marc wrote: »

Now that we've got this new, super duper 'alternate Bond-universe' idea, I suppose we have to ask. . . do you mean the whole series, or the Daniel Craig 'character timeline' series?

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Obruchev's antics pulled me out of the story every time he set off with his comedy foreigner egghead schtick. It was like EON had kept an unused Brosnan-era stock fool in a block of ice and had thawed him out for no better reason than to make room in the freezer. Yes, this is my disapproving, it's-not-funny-and-I'm-not-lightening-up face... ;)
    I certainly enjoyed him.

I personally wouldn't go that far, but, as I said somewhere, I do like all of the new characters.
    Even Madeleine's a welcome 'new' character, as opposed to the SP character called Madeleine (imo). :--)

Now that we've got this new, super duper 'alternate Bond-universe' idea, I suppose we have to ask. . . do you mean the whole series, or the Daniel Craig 'character timeline' series?
    Haha, I mean the whole series. But I guess I agree with you by saying the 'Craig timeline' doesn't feel Bondian, to me.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,608
    Venutius wrote: »
    Obruchev's antics pulled me out of the story every time he set off with his comedy foreigner egghead schtick. It was like EON had kept an unused Brosnan-era stock fool in a block of ice and had thawed him out for no better reason than to make room in the freezer. Yes, this is my disapproving, it's-not-funny-and-I'm-not-lightening-up face... ;)

I like Russian dialect (and many other foreign dialects) a lot, no matter in what language, and it's a big part of why I like Valdo so much.
    But I can certainly see why quite some people dislike him a lot, especially in the island lair scenes.

Yet, if classified as a 'henchman', I've just now realized he's even my favourite henchman in the series (except for Tee Hee, perhaps).
    I love a few of his line deliveries, for their very awkwardness. It’s actually one of the things I find myself looking forward to most when I watch.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Bits like him trying to pretend he’s still talking on the phone and making super awkward comments was fun.
    I really like how he's evading Bond's questions in the interrogation and/or how he's so caught up in his scientific world there. Like
    "What's this?" - "I don't have the words to describe to someone like you." - "Try one!" - "It's ... perfect."

"M (...) But please, he does not have the vision"
    It's funny but people complain NTTD and the Craig era are too serious, but they also complaint when a funny character with sharp tongue enliven things into Moore territory.
    Just decide what you want! LOL
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,895
    I want another five films like QOS, but I realise it's somewhat unlikely... ;)
  • Valdo definitely grated on me, he veered too heavy into slapstick and unfunny (imo) one-liners. I thought Logan Ash made for a much better “comedic” henchman since his humor is tinged with a sense of Fleming-esque macabre with that rictus grin of his, rather than feeling like he was a character that was plucked out of any post 2000’s action movie that has some obnoxious character constantly providing “comedic relief” because a studio exec thought the 4th rewrite could use more levity.
    Stamper wrote: »
    It's funny but people complain NTTD and the Craig era are too serious, but they also complaint when a funny character with sharp tongue enliven things into Moore territory.
    Just decide what you want! LOL
    Right. I'm really glad NTTD wasn't all gloom and doom like its predecessors. A thousand times more fun, for me.
    (although I might still be in some 'honeymoon phase' with NTTD and might get more aware of its negative aspects in the future)
    I'm going in for viewing #9 tomorrow. I'm sure it'll remain a 10/10 film for me, but I'll be interested to see if ANY of it wears off for me.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,252
    Regardless of what one thinks about the movie, I think it's one of the best directed in the series. The visuals, sound, characters, acting, writing, even plotting while not perfect, is pretty solid all round.

You can tell Fukunaga actually *directed* the movie, whereas some directors let actors or crew members do their own thing leading to a sense of disconnect
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    w2bond wrote: »
    Regardless of what one thinks about the movie, I think it's one of the best directed in the series. The visuals, sound, characters, acting, writing, even plotting while not perfect, is pretty solid all round.

You can tell Fukunaga actually *directed* the movie, whereas some directors let actors or crew members do their own thing leading to a sense of disconnect
    A great director with a fractured script with an ending demanded by the star can only do so much...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, and it can dazzle. :)