Rejected Songs & Official Remakes & Rare Cover Versions

12345679»

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think I actually prefer Newley! :) Bassey is iconic, but maybe a bit on the shrill side for my ears. I wouldn't change her though.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2Dso9YvsG5Q

I was listening to the deluxe edition of a-ha's lackluster third album, the one with The Living Daylights, and I've stumbled upon this demo.

It's interesting (and a little bit awkward) to hear such things - there are some demo versions of A View to a Kill on YouTube as well.

In their raw approach, they show certain aspects that made the final cut, and some that actually don't...

Is there any other Bond title theme demo that you know of?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There’s definitely a Goldeneye one with Bono singing, and a very interesting FYEO one with a fairly different tune.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've only just come across this fun remix matching up Tom Jones' vocal to the music from David Arnold's cover version:

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mtm wrote: »
    I've only just come across this fun remix matching up Tom Jones' vocal to the music from David Arnold's cover version:

Cool. With that online tool you shared the other day, this can be done for several songs. I really like Shaken and Stirred's backing tracks but I'm less fond of the vocals.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mattjoes wrote: »

Cool. With that online tool you shared the other day, this can be done for several songs. I really like Shaken and Stirred's backing tracks but I'm less fond of the vocals.

Yes, I did it for Moonraker but I'm glad someone else had done this one for me! )
  • I hadn't heard of this one before, but MI6-HQ just posted an article on it. Patti Russo's proposed title song for Spectre. It starts at 0:30.

I actually really like this (the piano version above, not the dance version they also posted). I'm starting to think you can't go wrong with anyone named Patti singing a Bond song.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    I hadn't heard of this one before, but MI6-HQ just posted an article on it. Patti Russo's proposed title song for Spectre. It starts at 0:30.

I actually really like this (the piano version above, not the dance version they also posted). I'm starting to think you can't go wrong with anyone named Patti singing a Bond song.

God if only! This would have played so much better than the turd squeaked (literally) out by Sam Smith.
    I tried to find it on this thread, but I couldn't, so here it is :

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    As far as I'm concerned, Blondie's For Your Eyes Only is the best unused Bond song. A lot of people love Radiohead's Spectre. I enjoy it but I don't think it's that good.
    F
    I think I actually prefer Newley! :) Bassey is iconic, but maybe a bit on the shrill side for my ears. I wouldn't change her though.

Irrespective of his contributions to the creation of the song, Newly comes across as lounge lizard parody. His thin, weak voice is completely at odds with the bombastic aspects of the song. Don't disagree SB is a bit shrill, but she has the vocal power necessary to match the music. There are other easier to listen to and prettier songs, but nothing comes close to GF. I've got to say YKMN comes darn close.

Hands down Goldfinger is the single greatest Bond title song. Maybe not the best song, but the most iconic and the one most indelibly linked to a film. The first time I saw this film in a cinema those opening horns sent a chill through me. The song pummels you and knocks you back. Like the song, GF not the best film, but the most iconic Bond film of the entire series.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I expect this has probably been posted in this thread already but it's tricky to check!

Lorraine Chandler - You Only Live Twice

• edited May 2023 Posts: 5,801
    I managed to find it ! Here's the Jack Parnell Orchestra version of Live and Let Die :

Haven't found the album on iTunes, but I have it on vynil. It was the first one I ever bought for myself using my allowance. I believe I was sixteen at the time.