Rejected Songs & Official Remakes & Rare Cover Versions

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Gerard wrote: »
    Debbie Harry singing (or should I say running) Goldfinger :

I'm out of breath listening to her

At the end she practically screams kiss of death. Quickest rendition I've ever heard.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Does anyone know anything more about the LTK score that Flick and Clapton were supposed to do, but then were dropped in favour of Gladys Knight?
    "The World Is Not Enough" by Straw:

"Never Say Never Again" by Phyllis Hyman:

"No Good About Goodbye" by Shirley Bassey:

"Tomorrow Never Dies" by Swan Lee (I actually really like this one):

"You Only Live Twice", by Nancy Sinatra, but with arrangement/music of Lee Hazlewood (sounds like a western song here :-P):

There are actually two versions of "Goldfinger" by Anthony Newley:
    This one:

And some songs by the Dmitry Butenka Orchestra:

I think she really can sing, better than Adele during the Oscars:

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Glad Ace of Base got rejected. Wouldve been the worst Bond song ever.

• edited July 2015 Posts: 1,215
    Glad Ace of Base got rejected. Wouldve been the worst Bond song ever.

I actually love that song. I actually prefer it to Turner's.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I like Ace of Base's song too. IMO Turner's was miles better, but I really like the chorus, it is somewhat dark and sinister, reflecting the movie's tone. I also love the "tomorrow's foe is now a friend" line. The verse, however, sounds too jovial.
    Haha, glad I found this thread. Mr. Bungle's cover of Thunderball is great. Mike Patton should definitely get a shot at doing a Bond theme.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 3,157
    I've no idea what she says, but I love it nonetheless.

Instrumental cover:
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Here's a remix of OHMSS I myself made. :)
    Awesome job, Murdock! It was beautiful!
    Thank you. It was tremendous fun. I did it all by ear. :D
    @Murdock, never thought you had it in you. I am impressed.
    @Thunderfinger, I'm just full of surprises. ;)
    Yes, you are full of it.
    Full of OHMSS! =))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Remixing one of Barry's best pieces is a dangerous undertaking, but you pulled it off, @Murdock. =D>
    Remixing one of Barry's best pieces is a dangerous undertaking, but you pulled it off, @Murdock. =D>
    Haha yes it was a dangerous feat. I was looking for covers of OHMSS but couldn't find any that I thought were good or faithful to Barry's original so I just did a simple cover. Thank you. @MajorDSmythe. glad you enjoyed it. :)
    Check out this playlist of the Philarmonic Orchestra covers, they're wonderful.

In the 70s, one of the first records I bought was Jack Parnell's "Great Film Scores of the 70s", where he and his orchestra revisited various movie themes from 1973-74. And "Live and Let Die" was in it. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it anywhere. But here's the playlist :

discogs.com/Jack-Parnell-And-His-Orchestra-Great-Film-Scores-Of-The-70s/release/1615992
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I had no idea ah-Ha released their version of "The Living Daylights" track as they wanted it.

This has been posted before in some thread, but this kid is amazing.
    Speaking of covers :

This is pretty awesome!
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098
    To this day.........i just can't understand why the film makers of 2008's QOS...........picked that truly awful Jack White song........when there were at least 2 far more beautiful, and more appropriate songs written for that film. Me thinks, there was some dodgy studio politics involved.......either that or there were some tone deaf suits at the studio.
    The rejected Shirley Bassey song was good, but even better was the fantastic song by Eva Almer........which is lightyears better than that screeching JW/AK song.
    I have never ever met anyone who remotely likes the JW/AK song.....and if i did, i would probably hammer a nail thru' their skull.
    The film makers may of thought, oh lets have this strange, modern, hip song, but it was wrong for the film, and felt so distant to Arnold's score.
    On a combination CD of Bond songs, this song stands out like a sore thumb, when compared to the other Bond themes.
    When we all recall a Bond film in our heads, we automatically remember the main song of the film, but i can say i have never even tried to hum the song to QOS.....have you?
    Unfortuantely, this was only one of several terrible decisions made by the film makers on QOS :(

ps:- i used the word film makers, as i don't know whether it was a studio call, or producers call on the final say for selecting songs on the Bond films.

The Eva Almer song is attached below:-

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    That Eva Almer song is just horrible and whomever wrote is constantly trying the market the thing on YT.

The Bassey song according to Arnold was not rejected but written after the fact.

It does use some of the same cues from the film and oddly enough fits the titles perfectly.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    That Eva Almer song is just horrible and whomever wrote is constantly trying the market the thing on YT.

The Bassey song according to Arnold was not rejected but written after the fact.

It does use some of the same cues from the film and oddly enough fits the titles perfectly.

Please tell me you are not being serious? ............ that you think that the JW song was more appropriate for QOS than any of the other songs submitted for the film!
    edited December 2015 Posts: 3,157
    This guy's works are awesome.