Quick Big Mi6 Music Score Ranking Game

Comments

• Slazenger7Slazenger7 Gothenburg, Sweden
    edited July 2021 Posts: 1,334
    4th place. I love the ambient vibe on some of the tracks. It’s like you can hear the glimmer of all the gold.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    My #4. Goldfinger was where the Bond sound was truly formed. A landmark.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,469
    #2. Oddjob's Pressing Engagement is one of my favorite tracks of all the Bond films, seamlessly combining the Bond and Goldfinger themes. The album went #1 in the U.S. and spent 70 weeks on the albums chart. Federico Fellini once told an interviewer that GF was his favorite movie score. I think the way the excellent blend of brass and orchestra can be loud and "in your face" at various times sums up Bond's action style. Like Barry said in one interview about the GF soundtrack: "And as Fred Astaire said, "Give it size. Give it style. And give it class." And hopefully, that's what we did. We just made everything larger-than-life, and we made it a lot of fun." He also said it was Wagnerian and pretentious.

Barry has said the theme song was often the genesis of his scores, and I think one reason why the theme song works so well is that it's about a villain, so it's ominous and sets Bond up against that. Barry got his inspiration from the song Mack the Knife. He says when Harry Saltzman heard the song sung by Shirley Bassey, he thought it was the worst song he'd ever heard in his life (leaving out some curse words). He also thought it was too old-fashioned and young people in the newly Swinging 60s wouldn't like it. Director Guy Hamilton said he didn't know if it was going to be a hit or not but that it worked for the film dramatically. And Cubby Broccoli said he liked it, "Let's do it".

After the soundtrack went to #1 and everybody liked the title song, but Saltzman didn't, Barry was having dinner at a restaurant in London with friends Michael Caine and Terence Stamp. Saltzman came in and was talking with everyone at the table, being nice to Caine because he wanted him for The Ipcress File, and at the end of all this, Saltzman looks over at Barry with kind of a sour look on his face and says, "Thank you". Barry said Saltzman's voice was low and dripping with disdain. And Stamp said to Saltzman, "You --- ---", called him a really dirty name. And the whole club, where there were other people in the business, burst out laughing, because they apparently felt the same way toward Saltzman.

Caine was crashing at Barry's place when Barry pulled an all-nighter on the Goldfinger theme. Caine said, "He was just going bong bong bing bong all night on the piano. Never stopped. I couldn't sleep. And I got up about seven o'clock and I thought, Well, I guess some breakfast and coffee at least—and he was still banging away. And then he played me the song and I was the first person to hear Goldfinger".

On this being ranked lower than several of us expected, I suspect some of the disparate rankings in this game have to do with us falling into different age groups and possibly whether some of us have more of an ear for music than say casual music lovers, and some of us might even be able to write our own music, but overall I think that, like the films themselves, it's just a matter of personal opinion.
  • Thrasos wrote: »
    On this being ranked lower than several of us expected, I suspect some of the disparate rankings in this game have to do with us falling into different age groups...

I certainly don't think this is the case. I've seen members who were of the 60s/70s era rank Arnold's scores quite high, and I myself and others who were more of the 90s era and beyond have ranked Barry's scores quite high. And more importantly, seven of the top 10 are from all the films from 1963-1973, and the other three are all Barry! So it's not as if Goldfinger was toppled by Gen Xers and Millennials upvoting GoldenEye, Die Another Day, and Skyfall.
    Slazenger7 wrote: »
    4th place. I love the ambient vibe on some of the tracks. It’s like you can hear the glimmer of all the gold.
    It's one of the best things about the score.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thrasos wrote: »
    #2. Oddjob's Pressing Engagement is one of my favorite tracks of all the Bond films, seamlessly combining the Bond and Goldfinger themes. The album went #1 in the U.S. and spent 70 weeks on the albums chart. Federico Fellini once told an interviewer that GF was his favorite movie score. I think the way the excellent blend of brass and orchestra can be loud and "in your face" at various times sums up Bond's action style. Like Barry said in one interview about the GF soundtrack: "And as Fred Astaire said, "Give it size. Give it style. And give it class." And hopefully, that's what we did. We just made everything larger-than-life, and we made it a lot of fun." He also said it was Wagnerian and pretentious.

Barry has said the theme song was often the genesis of his scores, and I think one reason why the theme song works so well is that it's about a villain, so it's ominous and sets Bond up against that. Barry got his inspiration from the song Mack the Knife. He says when Harry Saltzman heard the song sung by Shirley Bassey, he thought it was the worst song he'd ever heard in his life (leaving out some curse words). He also thought it was too old-fashioned and young people in the newly Swinging 60s wouldn't like it. Director Guy Hamilton said he didn't know if it was going to be a hit or not but that it worked for the film dramatically. And Cubby Broccoli said he liked it, "Let's do it".

After the soundtrack went to #1 and everybody liked the title song, but Saltzman didn't, Barry was having dinner at a restaurant in London with friends Michael Caine and Terence Stamp. Saltzman came in and was talking with everyone at the table, being nice to Caine because he wanted him for The Ipcress File, and at the end of all this, Saltzman looks over at Barry with kind of a sour look on his face and says, "Thank you". Barry said Saltzman's voice was low and dripping with disdain. And Stamp said to Saltzman, "You --- ---", called him a really dirty name. And the whole club, where there were other people in the business, burst out laughing, because they apparently felt the same way toward Saltzman.

Caine was crashing at Barry's place when Barry pulled an all-nighter on the Goldfinger theme. Caine said, "He was just going bong bong bing bong all night on the piano. Never stopped. I couldn't sleep. And I got up about seven o'clock and I thought, Well, I guess some breakfast and coffee at least—and he was still banging away. And then he played me the song and I was the first person to hear Goldfinger".

On this being ranked lower than several of us expected, I suspect some of the disparate rankings in this game have to do with us falling into different age groups and possibly whether some of us have more of an ear for music than say casual music lovers, and some of us might even be able to write our own music, but overall I think that, like the films themselves, it's just a matter of personal opinion.

Wow, I loved reading this post! Great job here, @Thrasos.
    Thanks @DarthDimi. And I wonder if any audio or video exists of Barry working on part of a Bond score; it would've been fascinating to be there to hear that process.

By the way, in relaying the story about Saltzman, I was not doing it to point out any faults he may've had, though some say he may not have been as "adventurous" about some of the Bond music as say Cubby Broccoli and Barry...it was just trivia about Barry and his music, with some big name people. I don't know Saltzman's history too much other than knowing he was Broccoli's partner and had a good mind for business, so I'm very thankful for all of the parts Saltzman played in helping to produce the Bond series and to help bring it to where it is now.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I’m surprised that GF is only ranked at #10, since it is IMO the Bond score that is perhaps best known among more general movie goers. Ask a random person on the street and this is the musical score is that they think of when asked to describe “James Bond Music.”

While I not participating in this game, in my informal ranking of the scores I had GF at number 3. It is certainly a score that I frequently play for fun or have in the background when I’m working. In fact, if I don’t have the time to actually watch the film, just listening to the soundtrack allows me to re-create the various scenes in my mind. And that, I think, is a true measure of its’ strength.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited July 2021 Posts: 1,693
    I had GF at 20. There's stuff I love in it, like Into Miami and most of what's playing when Oddjob is onscreen, but I'm the rare weirdo that is not a fan of the theme song, which is used quite a lot in the film, sort of replacing the amount of overuse the Bond theme received previously. In particular, I feel that the strident, less swingy action version that pops up a couple times doesn't quite fit with the film or with the rest of the score. "Oddjob's Pressing Engagement", blasted while Felix casually follows Oddjob to a rather extraneous car-crushing scene, would be an example.

But I adore the stuff someone above referred to as shimmering and ambient. Barry's own characterization of the theme song, Wagnerian and pretentious, is accurate, and I guess the problem for me is that the action in the film never rises to a point that meets the music.
    Thrasos wrote: »

Well, bad music also tends to be written by people who can write music, so I'm not sure this faux-objective metric holds water...! Which is obviously not to say any of the music in GF is bad! I may have this at number 20, but I love all the scores apart from DN and (half of) GE.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @Thrasos , I would pay to read more of your interesting insights, great job! How do you know all this?
    Slazenger7 wrote: »
    I love the ambient vibe on some of the tracks. It’s like you can hear the glimmer of all the gold.

That's right, you hit the nail on its head with that comparison.

@zebrafish, you're very kind. If you mean the stories involving Michael Caine and Terence Stamp, they're on the internet if you do a search for Barry and Goldfinger. I just wanted to find out more about the score, and was glad to find that background info--a picture into how it was back then. And I'm into trivia :)

I agree with you and Slazenger7 about how Barry nicely translated the visuals and attraction of gold into music; and I liked your earlier post, including the part about Into Miami, and how that's a great setup for what follows; a great scene there poolside. More trivia: the sax in Into Miami and on other cuts was played by John Scott, who also played for Henry Mancini, and with LALD's George Martin, playing flute on the Beatles song You've Got To Hide Your Love Away. He also created film and TV scores himself, and one was Greystoke, the Tarzan film with Christopher Lambert.

And that nice chiming sound in Oddjob's theme was made using finger cymbals. Barry said: "You hear it the first time you see Oddjob. I wanted the sound of metal, and finger cymbals are very small but they have a distinctive 'ting' sound--it was the whole idea of metal, of gold and the hardness of it". It's about time for me to watch GF again.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    One non-Barry score remains in the running as we reveal our number 9:

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    Music composed by
    JOHN BARRY

58045-back.jpg

FRWL collected two bronze medals, two 4th places and two 5th places. Five more top 10's were noted.

Only one bottom 5, a single 22nd place.

FRWL's original music received 141 points in total.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,312
    Another excellent soundtrack with many hidden gems. I like "Leila Dances" (an oriental sounding, charming little dance piece that is not on every OST version) and "The Golden Horn" (rather uplifting and adventurous). The "Gypsy Camp Attack" contains one of my all-time favourite suspense chords, the short staccato notes played by the trombones (?) and accentuated by the drums.

May I also recommend the Allmusic website's comment on the soundtrack:
    "The first James Bond soundtrack composed from beginning to end by John Barry, From Russia With Love set the pattern for the score of every movie that followed in the series -- except for the title song (sung by Matt Munro) which, in this particular instance, was the least impressive element of the soundtrack. In later releases, the producers would see the value of getting singers perceived as a little more on the cutting edge of popular music in one way or another, and they would gain some major hits as a result. However, in this case it was the instrumental music that was among the most startling and unusual ever heard in a film score up to that time, beginning with "007," a horn-driven piece with a driving beat. (New versions of "007" would end up in two of the next three Bond movies as well as several more that followed.) The other highlight of this flavorful soundtrack was "Girl Trouble," a suspense theme that played off the dynamics of a solo cello, strings, and horns in a relentless beat; this piece was so inspiring as action music that a big chunk of it was used as the opening and closing theme of a local news show in New York for decades. Everything on this album sounded special in one way or another -- whether the actual music or the dynamics and timbres involved -- and although it never yielded a hit single, From Russia With Love deservedly remained in print for decades on vinyl."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I had GF at #8 and FRWL at #7. Seems pretty fitting with where they ended up in the overall rankings of everyone.
    I absolutely love LALD's score but I am amazed that it has come in ahead of either GF and FRWL.
    I keep repeating that this makes no sense. The LALD score has some great moments, but few. FRWL is a perfect whole.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I keep repeating that this makes no sense. The LALD score has some great moments, but few. FRWL is a perfect whole.

Absolutely. Just think of that Main Title cue. Masterful stuff.
    This is about ten places too high for me.

FRWL, and, to a lesser extent, GF, are to me proto-Barry scores. He really gets started on Thunderball. FRWL still has some corny use of the original Bond theme recording, not to mention full-scale repurposing of some bad Dr No music.

It's a huge step forward from what came before, but I don't think it makes an impression when compared to anything else Barry did.
    I have FRWL at #3 and GF at #4, so am stunned with both of these bowing out prior to LALD (which I generously rated at #10), but I get the "proto-Barry" comment as well.
    I have FRWL at #3 and GF at #4, so am stunned with both of these bowing out prior to LALD (which I generously rated at #10), but I get the "proto-Barry" comment as well.

Exactly the same positions that I placed the respective three scores in. The tracking of the Bond theme and the Dr No music is a mark against the film and the decisions of the filmmakers rather than Barry's efforts on the score, I feel. I always assumed he would have been against such choices as a composer.

Exactly the same positions that I placed the respective three scores in. The tracking of the Bond theme and the Dr No music is a mark against the film and the decisions of the filmmakers rather than Barry's efforts on the score, I feel. I always assumed he would have been against such choices as a composer.

I agree with that, and if Barry was responsible for everything we heard in FRWL, I'm sure I'd have ranked it higher. I just went with the score we got in terms of what is in the movie, not necessarily just the decisions Barry made about his contribution.

I agree with that, and if Barry was responsible for everything we heard in FRWL, I'm sure I'd have ranked it higher. I just went with the score we got in terms of what is in the movie, not necessarily just the decisions Barry made about his contribution.

That's 100% fair! There are often times where I forget about these drawback moments because I've become so used to hearing the scores as album presentations.

I always feel a twinge of disappointment when Connery takes aim at the helicopter and it's Norman's music that kicks in and not Barry's.

FRWL, and, to a lesser extent, GF, are to me proto-Barry scores. He really gets started on Thunderball...It's a huge step forward from what came before, but I don't think it makes an impression when compared to anything else Barry did.
    I'm with you on this. I rank it #13, but it is good. I'm not one who thinks most Barry scores have to be near the top or are necessarily better than some scores by other composers. I think Barry got his feet wet with FRWL, and then improved markedly with the next one GF, which is why I thought that deserved to be #2.

I especially like the music that plays when Blofeld, Klebb and Kronsteen are together. And Stalking at the beginning is awesome. There are many other good cues. And great to hear the first version of the 007 theme, as was mentioned.

I'm also with those of you who wonder why LALD is still higher. Maybe when that one comes up, those who rank it highly will defend their choice.
    I'm very curious to read about LALD from those who ranked it this highly. That score cheaped out the Bond Theme and sounded, for the most part, like the soundtrack to this week's episode of The A-Team.
    Seems to me like you're not a fan of the score.
  • I don't get how it cheaped out the Bond theme, I thought it was a really cool new rendition. Funky and early 70s.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @DarthDimi. As much as I love Sir. George Martin (as well as Paul and Linda), I too am a bit surprised to see LALD out-last GF and FRWL. Perhaps the overall score of LALD is benefiting from the love that many (myself included) have for the theme song itself?

Again, I decided to sit this game out, but my personal rankings had all of the classic Barry’s scores ahead of LALD – if for no other reason than their historical importance, and (IMO) they are more fun to listen to as stand-alone works of music. Then, again, I did have CR’67 ranked at number 4, so clearly my judgment is not to be trusted on these matters!!! 😊
  • Thrasos wrote: »

FRWL, and, to a lesser extent, GF, are to me proto-Barry scores. He really gets started on Thunderball...It's a huge step forward from what came before, but I don't think it makes an impression when compared to anything else Barry did.
    I'm with you on this. I rank it #13, but it is good. I'm not one who thinks most Barry scores have to be near the top or are necessarily better than some scores by other composers. I think Barry got his feet wet with FRWL, and then improved markedly with the next one GF, which is why I thought that deserved to be #2.

I especially like the music that plays when Blofeld, Klebb and Kronsteen are together. And Stalking at the beginning is awesome. There are many other good cues. And great to hear the first version of the 007 theme, as was mentioned.

I'm also with those of you who wonder why LALD is still higher. Maybe when that one comes up, those who rank it highly will defend their choice.

Proto-Barry (or proto-Bond) is a very accurate way of describing FRWL, @ProfJoeButcher. I also think Barry improved by leaps and bounds with Goldfinger, @Thrasos, and Thunderball provided a bigger canvas still before Barry would go on to his most ambitious and most poetic work for Bond with You Only Live Twice and On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I love what Barry did for the opening titles of FRWL (I think it's the single best cue in the whole film) and "James Bond with Bongos" is very fun too. The main theme is indeed great, and the song by Matt Monro is one of my absolute favorites, but the theme is pretty sparsely used throughout the score itself and it's awfully subtle when it does pop up. The 007 theme is used far more prominently, and I'm not a fan of that one.

There's not a whole lot else in this score that I'm able to get excited about or champion over the music in any number of the other scores. It's funny you should want to know why people ranked Live and Let Die as high as they did, @DarthDimi, because that's precisely how I feel about From Russia With Love, haha. Apart from those fantastic opening titles, I just don't see what this one has over Goldfinger or really most of the other scores.
    I was gonna mention 007,but didn't want to sound more negative than I actually am! That cue has never done it for me. It's a great piece to be sure, be it more of a sweeping, romantic western type thing in my head. It worked sometimes better than at other times (it's quite nice in Moonraker), but its debut wasnt one of those cases for me.
    A general problem is that many of the Bond soundtrack CDs feature just a few songs and miss out on some of the more interesting cues and music. So I am curious, where can one find access to the most complete soundtracks possible? What are the best recordings for each film?