Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This should be the next Terminator movie:
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    This should be the next Terminator movie:

More entertaining than the last few films lol

---

This is indeed a blast from the past, some UK viewers may remember the host.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,957
    That's really weird: when I read you saying UK viewers would know the host I said in my head 'I bet it's Tommy Boyd or someone'! :D I must have a very vague and distant memory of that!

That Mortal Kombat clip is lots of fun, definitely. I love the "I identify as human" line!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2020 Posts: 23,360
    mtm wrote: »
    That's really weird: when I read you saying UK viewers would know the host I said in my head 'I bet it's Tommy Boyd or someone'! :D I must have a very vague and distant memory of that!

That Mortal Kombat clip is lots of fun, definitely. I love the "I identify as human" line!

A very young Tommy Boyd lol I am not sure when the clip is from possibly around 1980 (though Pumping Iron was 1977, assuming that is the film Tommy was referring too) I would have been still in single age digits, the clip is familiar so I probably watched it back then. Health and safety certainly not an issue, though that bar bell appears lighter than 29kg lol
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,360
    Arnold Schwarzenegger seen driving around Los Angeles after secret heart surgery
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/arnold-schwarzenegger-seen-driving-around-22938736.amp
    Happy the great man is doing well
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Arnold Schwarzenegger seen driving around Los Angeles after secret heart surgery
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/arnold-schwarzenegger-seen-driving-around-22938736.amp
    Happy the great man is doing well

So he has a secret heart. Interesting.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Just watched Dark Date for first time.
    Really wish I hadn't.
    The end.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I watched it for the second time the other week and it’s not as good as I remember it at the cinema. It’s perfectly decent and is still probably the better of the post Judgement Day movies, but it slips into generic and bland pretty quickly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It nosedives as soon as Arnie turns up, I think.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, although I don’t think it’s his fault- he’s good. It just runs out of steam.
    Also the most important character in it (I forget her name: the future saviour they’re protecting) is the character the film is least interested in.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,360
    Dark Fate erases most of the series and then rips off the films it erases. Genesys was not good though its an entertaining bad film. Dark Fate is generic and boring and insulting to the first two movies.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, although I'd say Dark Fate is the better film, of the two I'd probably watch Genesys again as it's more colourful and full of things. It's much more stupid and the recasting is very poor, but it's like a sort of Die Another Day of the Terminator series- dumb but not unwatchable.
    Yes, although I don’t think it’s his fault- he’s good. It just runs out of steam.
    Also the most important character in it (I forget her name: the future saviour they’re protecting) is the character the film is least interested in.

Arnie was great in it. He delivers all his lines with perfect timing, both comic and dramatic. His performance is that of someone clearly enjoying himself. The problem, for me at least, is that he feels like he belongs in a different film. The last two Terminator flicks have bent over backwards to accommodate his presence in them - stalling themselves as a result - when they should have been trying to move on from him and forge a new path.

And yeah, Dani, the new saviour of humanity. I'm not really sure what they thought they were doing with that flashforward/back scene where's supposed to be all tough and strong, but all they did was stick a few scars on her and give her dreads. They really should have cast a different actress for that bit.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Honestly, the only post T-2 film I've liked a lot was Salvation. Like Rogue One in Star Wars it was a one off side story. Terminator's main story ended with T-2.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,957

Arnie was great in it. He delivers all his lines with perfect timing, both comic and dramatic. His performance is that of someone clearly enjoying himself. The problem, for me at least, is that he feels like he belongs in a different film. The last two Terminator flicks have bent over backwards to accommodate his presence in them - stalling themselves as a result - when they should have been trying to move on from him and forge a new path.

True; they've wrapped themselves in knots trying to have him in them. I can forgive them though as he's been the best thing in them- all of their attempts to find new stars have flopped.
    To be honest they should just leave it now: it was a really good high concept idea that somehow managed to stretch to a sequel. But there's nothing else in there now, it's been wrung dry.
    How many 35 year old films were they making sequels to when we were kids? They weren't making Ben Hur 2 when Last Crusade came out. Bond kind of counts, but it's a series. Make some more new things.
    And yeah, Dani, the new saviour of humanity. I'm not really sure what they thought they were doing with that flashforward/back scene where's supposed to be all tough and strong, but all they did was stick a few scars on her and give her dreads. They really should have cast a different actress for that bit.

Yes that's dreadful. Why hasn't she aged at all? I think they probably could ave dropped all of the future sequences out of this one, they didn't really add anything. Keep the nice shot of the skeletons walking out of the sea at the beginning, that's good.

Speaking of Genesys, I heard someone talking about it the other day, and maybe it's a really common observation, but they pointed out how there's that scene at the beginning where old Arnie smashes up young Arnie who's just arrived in 1984 at the observatory and young Arnie gets blown up. Well, that 1984 Terminator is the one we saw the chip taken from which started Skynet in the first place, so right there in that scene they've averted Judgement Day!
    Speaking of Genesys, I heard someone talking about it the other day, and maybe it's a really common observation, but they pointed out how there's that scene at the beginning where old Arnie smashes up young Arnie who's just arrived in 1984 at the observatory and young Arnie gets blown up. Well, that 1984 Terminator is the one we saw the chip taken from which started Skynet in the first place, so right there in that scene they've averted Judgement Day!
    But old Arnie's chip could end up serving the same purpose... through a twist of fate... oh, whatever. ;)

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Honestly, the only post T-2 film I've liked a lot was Salvation. Like Rogue One in Star Wars it was a one off side story. Terminator's main story ended with T-2.

Salvation gets a bad rap, but it's my favorite Terminator. We'd spent three films getting glimpses of the future war, and then we got tossed straight into it. It was a nice change from the recycled "save the future savior" plot of 3, Genisys and Dark Fate. And for the first time since the first film, the Terminator was actually a force to be reckoned with.

Arnie showing class despite some of the questions.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,957

Salvation gets a bad rap, but it's my favorite Terminator. We'd spent three films getting glimpses of the future war, and then we got tossed straight into it. It was a nice change from the recycled "save the future savior" plot of 3, Genisys and Dark Fate. And for the first time since the first film, the Terminator was actually a force to be reckoned with.

if I'm honest it's probably the one that interested me the least. The whole concept of Terminator is 'robot comes back from the future to kill its enemy before he's born'; you're right to say they've used that too many times, but once you remove that it's not really Terminator any more.
    And not least to say it stars Sam Worthington, who you actually forget exists while you're watching him!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

if I'm honest it's probably the one that interested me the least. The whole concept of Terminator is 'robot comes back from the future to kill its enemy before he's born'; you're right to say they've used that too many times, but once you remove that it's not really Terminator any more.
    And not least to say it stars Sam Worthington, who you actually forget exists while you're watching him!

Removing some elements affects the core, yes, but the true core of the series is humans fighting against robots for control of the planet. And even though time travel isn't a focus, it still plays a minor role as the past films' temporal shenanigans are the crux of SkyNet's plan.

I won't lie, though, I do frequently forget Sam Worthington is in that movie until he drops the American accent and goes full Aussie during the interrogation scene.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Removing some elements affects the core, yes, but the true core of the series is humans fighting against robots for control of the planet.

I dunno, I think if you do a one-line summing up of the first film it's not really that- that's not the hook of the movie. And I don't think there's much to Terminator beyond that hook; other than Arnie of course.

Arnie interviewing James Cameron a few days ago.

Arnie still got the moves.
    Dark Fate is easily the worst Terminator film.Not only was it shamefully woke, it was just....shit.Linda Hamilton looked bored,Arnie was just embarrassing to watch.Genisys was bad but at least it’s a movie you could laugh AT.Dark Fate makes you wish you hadn’t wasted your time watching it.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Dark Fate is easily the worst Terminator film.Not only was it shamefully woke, it was just....shit.Linda Hamilton looked bored,Arnie was just embarrassing to watch.Genisys was bad but at least it’s a movie you could laugh AT.Dark Fate makes you wish you hadn’t wasted your time watching it.

Agree as bad as Genisys was at least it was entertaining. Dark Fate is the worst Terminator film for me.
    They're both guilty of pissing on people's previous attachments to the series. But Dark Fate had Mackenzie Davis, so I'll likely watch it again. I won't watch Genisys again.

T3 was terrible.
    I actually bought Genisys after seeing it in the theatre, and I've watched it ONCE since then. That means it sucks.
    I haven't seen Dark Fate, but I won't fall for it again. Another curiosity to waste my time & money....
    Terminator: Salvation is the only post T2 film I have any love for. It was a bit original in its take of the story.... not a sequel, but a 'sidequel'.

T3 was terrible.
    I actually bought Genisys after seeing it in the theatre, and I've watched it ONCE since then. That means it sucks.
    I haven't seen Dark Fate, but I won't fall for it again. Another curiosity to waste my time & money....
    Terminator: Salvation is the only post T2 film I have any love for. It was a bit original in its take of the story.... not a sequel, but a 'sidequel'.

Salvation deserves more love. It tried something interesting and while it may not have executed it perfectly, it still did so better than what followed it.
    T3 was terrible.

Salvation deserves more love. It tried something interesting and while it may not have executed it perfectly, it still did so better than what followed it.

Yep. It was an original take, imperfect, but fascinating & full of energy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    T3 was terrible.

An interesting thing I think about T3 is that everyone goes on about AVTAK having Roger too old, and Tom Cruise doing the MI films at a surprising age, but Arnold was 56 when T3 was released. No one ever mentions that, I think because you can’t really tell!