Favourite Bond Moments - Round 26: NTTD- Part 2: Ranking

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,384
    @Thunderfinger was the naughty half brother we kept in the attic, until he escaped in to
    the Los Angeles underground, if you have a problem and you can find him..... well you
    know the rest :D

My favourites from Goldfinger

1. Goldfinger giving his briefing to the gangsters
    2. The interior of Fort Knox
    3. the night time car chase
    4. the fight with Oddjob
    5. The pre title sequence.

As a book GF is not one of my favourites, I find it too short and the ending a little rushed. The movie, like many I'm sure. I first watched one Christmas as ITV's big Christmas day movie, and I loved it on first sight. The DB5 was amazing, how I wanted a car like that.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Well revenge is best served Cold ;)
    Afterwards, he was hesitant to grab the required ice pack.

Fave Five GF moments:

1. PTS: Bond wets his snorkel and Capungo gets scrubbed in the tub
    2. unfair play on the fairway as Oddjob drops the ball
    3. Bond snoops around the factory at night wearing his little backpack*
    4. at the laser table, Auric offers Bond some roasted nuts**
    5. Bond winks at the mirror when discovering sweet little Mei Lei is a pervert***

*I only just noticed that Bond waits in the woods dressed in a suit, and then changes into his PTS outfit to snoop around the factory

**Note that when GF shuts off the laser and Kisch walks towards Bond, Bond has a proud, satisfied look on his face that he has successfully negotiated with GF. A job well done.

***Pussy Galore pronounces Mei Lei as 'my lee', and later, 'my lay'. Freudian slip? ;)
    @QBranch wrote ....
    'my lee', and later, 'my lay'. It shouldn't have taken long to
    Lick the script in to shape, or perhaps they only paid it Lip Service ;)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks for the background information and the voting @Thunderpussy

Interesting points @QBranch. Your last point is especially important for all bondfans ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2021 Posts: 45,489
    QBranch wrote: »
    Bond gets knocked out by the refrigerator

tenor.gif

Wow, this must be a homage.
    @Thunderfinger was the naughty half brother we kept in the attic, until he escaped in to
    the Los Angeles underground, if you have a problem and you can find him..... well you
    know the rest :D

As long as I get my bucket of fishheads.
    :))
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,378
    The the golden finger of the oscar goes to:
    1. PTS (with only one point more than the second one!)
    2. Golf match
    3. Fort Knox countdown and fight against Oddjob
    4. Jill painted in gold
    5. Laser table

I expected that the golf match or the golden girl would win but once again there is much love for the PTS!

And we move to the second installment of Brosnan. Not inventive but a solid entertainment with a lot of action... Which are some of the moments you like (a lot)?

I'm in the fanclub of Dr. Kaufmann! Love that scene. And there's another great moment in the hotel room...

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 15: TND - Part 1: Suggestions and discussion

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited January 2021 Posts: 1,006
    - Dr. Kaufman
    - Wai Lin’s secret Saigon command station/weapons warehouse
    - Hotel with vodka/Paris
    - Bond infiltrates Hamburg office
    - HALO jump/diving scene
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    PTS, once more. I think only a few Bond films don't have the PTS amongst their highlights.

Sinking of the Devonshire, I think that scene is really well done and the dramatic music makes it even better.

Bond in Oxford. Brushing up his Danish. Naughty naughty.

Love the Q scene here too. I always chuckle at Bond's amusement when he checks out Q's red outfit. Also love the 'I think we've met' comment.

The party scene.

The hotel room scene.

Hamburg break in and break out. One of the best Arnold tracks too.

Dr. Kaufman.

The HALO jump and the underwater scene are both pretty great too.

After that, I also like Wai Lin taking down a whole crew of henchmen and the Ha Long Bay shots.

The PTS has a good build-up, the tension increases more and more. The action in the air is good but I never warmed to the rest of the action in the PTS. Too much uninspired shooting.
    On the other hand, I absolutely love the motorcycle action.
    The Sinking Devonshire is done in a great way and the slow motion works for me, too.
    Brushing up his Danish. Great scene, beautiful woman. Love it.
    The Q scene? Very amusing.
    Bond waiting in the hotel room. Probably the closest Brosnan gets to Fleming. Strong moment.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,416
    PTS aka White Knight (Camera searching, Smoking is bad for you part 1, where general whants and M her comment, intro charles and fire of airplane changed in titles)
    Devon Shire (nice reference to FYEO)
    Stealth ship with reference to Fleming element (Bruce Feirstein did his Job!) when carver make the news him self.
    This is the new banker Mr.. intro by Daphne Dekkers aka Carvers Party
    Time for station break (Bond turn of light/tv's and Daphne Dekkers is fired)
    Factory scene
    Car driving (Hamburg breakout with smoke, spikes and car over the roof)
    Wailin and Bond in the helicopter (must think about that scene when Bond escape in Spectre before the titles)
    Carvers bulding and escape
    Hotel driving and carver calls Bond. (When i see M and Tanner in the car in Skyfall i must think about that scene)
    Hotel escape
    Q scene
    Let the mayhem begin aka stop the presses. (The moment Carver stands for his big screen and we see Michael G Wilson cameo and carver have big news.)
    Smoking is bad for you part 2 (Bond downs a guy to get in a bulding)
    joke with Pc
    Bike chase by Dicky Beer (Dutch Stunt guy)
    Aston Martin DB5 with Bond theme
    Bond, M, Moneypenny and Charles car scene.

Tomorrow Never Dies i always discribe as the one that make me realy a Bondfan whyle Goldeneye was my first movie in the cinema.
    TND is one of the few films where Bond interacts with a kid. Can you guess where?
    Carver threatens to have Bond s heart removed. Very cool scene.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 4,378
    TND is one of the few films where Bond interacts with a kid. Can you guess where?

When Wai Lin asks for someone who takes them with the ship to Carver's stealth boat?
    Carver threatens to have Bond s heart removed. Very cool scene.

That's indeed a very good moment. Especially in combination with Bond's comment :D
    Not many highlights in this one for me!
    Oh well, i will try.
    1) Kleinmans title sequence (though not the song!)
    2) Dr. Kaufman (Schiavelli steals the film easily!)
    3) The Halo Jump
    4) Geoffrey Palmer, great appearance, and back with his comedy buddy, Judi Dench!
    Eh, struggle to name 5.

When Wai Lin asks for someone who takes them with the ship to Carver's stealth boat?
    That's it - one little moment I always notice, when they prepare to set sail at Ha Long Bay, a kid is playing with Wai Lin's night vision binoculars. He tries to hand them back to Bond, as Wai Lin lifts him off the truck onto the ground.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Glad to see Mei Lei getting some love in the GF discussion, she would be in my Top 5 moments for sure!

I do enjoy the Brozza films, so again there's plenty I like here. Some good moments already mentioned, Dr Kaufman is fab. Easily high up on my list would be the meeting with Q, some lovely banter here and Pierce and Desmond really do play so well against each other - the whole insurance waiver form is one long chuckle for me!

And plenty of action - the car chase through the elevated car park is full of outrageous (and outrageously convenient - I'm looking at you circular saw to cut through the steel wire) gadgets. Pierce is having a ball with his remote control mobile phone! The bike stunt is also well done, and again a dash of Brozza humour with Wai Lin trying to get comfortable whilst handcuffed! I also like Wai Lin getting one up in the press factory chase (waving whilst wall walking). Bond and WL riding the banner poster all the way down the building is a novel moment as well.

Lots for me to enjoy!
    I remember that Wai Lin lifts a kid but I didn't know for sure if Bond was involved. Never realized that he play with the binoculars. This is,the moment of a scene I like a lot: Bond and Wai Lin talking before they reach the stealth boat. The dialogue, music and scenery are combined very nice there.

I love/like your number 2 to 4 @Mathis. I see that you enjoy this one at least more than DAD ;)
    @M_Balje Impressive list and interesting thoughts.
    I remember that Wai Lin lifts a kid but I didn't know for sure if Bond was involved. Never realized that he play with the binoculars. This is,the moment of a scene I like a lot: Bond and Wai Lin talking before they reach the stealth boat. The dialogue, music and scenery are combined very nice there.

I love/like your number 2 to 4 @Mathis. I see that you enjoy this one at least more than DAD ;)
    @M_Balje Impressive list and interesting thoughts.

Not really. I was just wanted to play the game!
    Its not a Bond movie I watch often!
    Your effort is fully appreciated @Mathis1.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    TND very middle of the pack for me, don't often watch it but still a lot of moments I enjoy.
    1, Dr Kaufman.
    2, Brosnan Bond sat in white shirt with Vodka and gun. Brilliant moment.
    3, The DB5 pulling into the gateway. Nice moment because the DB5 hadn't been done to death at that stage so still had nostalgia smile value.
    4, The interplay between M and Admiral Roebuck. Two thesps at the top of their game bouncing off each other.
    5, The way Bond fights his way out of the soundproof room. (I really like the little blink and you miss it shoulder shrug before he smashes the ashtray)
    6, The first interactive between Bond and Carver. Classic poking the hornet's nest.
    (I realise this is against the spirit of the thread but I HATE the moment Bond sends the car off the top of the carpark. Dodgy special effect and a pointlessly reckless risk to the public for nothing, rubbish gag)
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    - stealth ship finale
    - PTS, especially the missile approaching and Bond escaping
    - MI6 and CIA observing the events (PTS and finale)
    - car rental office
    cwl007 wrote: »
    6, The first interactive between Bond and Carver. Classic poking the hornet's nest.
    (I realise this is against the spirit of the thread but I HATE the moment Bond sends the car off the top of the carpark. Dodgy special effect and a pointlessly reckless risk to the public for nothing, rubbish gag)

Exactly right.I have come to like the film, but this scene is still horrible.
  • I often read people preferring the first half of Tomorrow Never Dies to the second. I had never thought of it as that dichotomous of a film where quality’s concerned (and still don’t—the stealth boat finale is among my favorites), but in drawing up my favorite moments I’m finding many of them do fall in that excellent first half. There’s a real stylishness and playfulness that characterizes these earlier scenes. While the PTS guns straight for suspense with the threat of the incoming cruise missile, there’s still a winking of the eye, an entertaining levity behind it all, found in the outlandishness of Bond taking on an entire terrorists’ swap meet, then flying the nuclear torpedos to safety, tossing off a final transmission to the blustering admiral with all the poise and panache you’d expect. Other scenes where the film sends up the fun: when Bond’s on the phone to Moneypenny while brushing up on his Danish, bantering with an Avis-disguised and much harried Q in Hamburg Airport, turning the tables on Carver’s security with an array of musical instruments in the recording room, and remote-controlling his new BMW through the parking garage, particularly for all the wonderful, exasperated expressions Brosnan delivers throughout.

Tomorrow Never Dies is sometimes written off as simply standard 90s action fare, but the Bond style shines through it all, thanks largely to Arnold’s fresh and energetic Bond-is-back! score and Brosnan’s cool and confident performance. And there is still a balance between the flying of the bullets and the character moments: after satisfyingly walloping Carver’s guards with microphone stands, stringed instruments, and the odd ashtray, Bond is found dulling the throb of his bruises with a shot of vodka, silenced PPK at hand, like the lone stranger waiting for Death to stroll in after him through the swinging doors of the saloon; and following the thrilling and stylishly staged and scored breaking into and out of the printing press, there’s the excellent hotel room standoff with Schiavelli’s instantly memorable Dr. Kaufman (a highlight of the film to be sure).

Nevertheless, the action does command much of the film’s running length. It’s a good thing then that the action is so very entertaining. A real second-act highlight is the bike chase through the streets and over the rooftops of Saigon on that hefty BMW 1200C Cruiser, starting with that terrifying leap from the terrace atop Carver’s building and culminating in a CGI-free (apart from the chopper’s blades) motorbike jump between apartments. But perhaps my favorite segment of the film is the stealth boat finale. You hear how Bond isn’t meant to be Rambo or John McClane, but take a look at a few of Fleming’s own climaxes which pit Bond against such impossible odds and leave him battered and bloodied, struggling as he does toward the end of TND’s own finale to stay on his feet and take out the remaining few crew on Carver’s command deck. As Carver himself might say, “I’ve just taken it one step further.” And the good old-fashioned countdown to destruction never fails to entertain: Bond slugging it out with Stamper atop the imminently launching cruise missile brings things to a climax not seen since the likes of You Only Live Twice and Octopussy, and Arnold’s heroic “Surrender” theme crashes in wonderfully over the sight of Bond freeing Wai Lin of her restraints underwater, the explosion brilliantly illuminating the ocean’s surface overhead.
    The inspiring posts of @Some_Kind_Of_Hero and others should definitely help to find your top 5 TND moments.

Favourite Bond Moments - Round 15: TND - Part 2: Ranking
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1. Pts
    2. Devon Shire
    3. Car driving (Hamburg breakout with smoke, spikes and car over the roof)
    4. Bike chase
    5. This is the new banker Mr.. intro by Daphne Dekkers aka Carvers Party

There are a lof very good key scene's who follow ups of another. Like PTS and Devon Shire and Stealth schip, Carvers bulding and escape is followed by bike chase. With humor a very inportent why this be be so rewatchable.
    Excellent write-up, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero. For me, TND is always wrestling with GE for best Brosnan film, and I regard this and DAD as a tie for his best performance.

I love the stealth boat finale too - there is some scrutiny of Bond's machine-gunning, but it might surprise people to learn that he only uses the one sub-machine gun throughout this whole segment (albeit paired with the P99). He takes one off a guard upon gaining entry, and drops it at the controls when Carver hits him from behind. He goes through but two magazines.

50869619762_65ea803306_o.png

1. PTS - this is one of my absolute favourites of the series
    2. Bond taunts Carver at the satellite launch, then crashes the party
    3. Kaufman does anything but *phone* it in, ja?
    4. HALO jump -> Devonshire dive
    5. stealth boat finale: note that during the fight with Bond, Richard Stamper stamps on Bond's upper chest with his right foot, then gets said foot stamped on by the missile

@Benny pointed out something odd: At the end, M learns that Bond is still alive, however, the following shot is of the crew of the Bedford searching for Bond and Wai Lin amongst the wreckage. Chronologically, these two scenes would be the other way around, but are edited to give us the final 'Bond gets the girl' scene.
    Good list @M_Balje and intersting points @Q_Branch (and it's always great to see pictures of your amazing collection!)
    Isn't Bond firing two muchine guns at once at some time? Or is it only Wai Lin doing so?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. Hamburg break in & break out
    2. Dr. Kaufman
    3. Danish lesson at Oxford
    4. PTS
    5. Q scene
    Good list @M_Balje and intersting points @Q_Branch (and it's always great to see pictures of your amazing collection!)
    Isn't Bond firing two muchine guns at once at some time? Or is it only Wai Lin doing so?
    Cheers mate. In simplest terms, Bond only carries the silenced P99 and one sub-machine gun, while it is Wai Lin who carries two.

There are so many variants of this MP5 sub-machine gun in the finale alone, it can get confusing. In more detail, for anyone interested:
    Bond wields the silenced P99 and one old-style MP5K sub-machine gun, which, like in the above photo, has a side-folding triangular buttstock, vertical front grip and no muzzle tip.

An old-style MP5K (the same as Bond's) is seen in front of Wai Lin on the junk while sailing in Ha Long bay.

Wai Lin has a newer MP5K (with muzzle tip) attached to her backpack when she plants the mines on the stealth. It gets confiscated when she is captured.

Wai Lin later wields two of Carver's guard's newer MP5A3s with extendable buttstocks and smooth 'tropical' hand guards, when in the engine room.

In promotional stills, Wai Lin poses with two newer MP5Ks, but with shorter magazines.

Carver's men carry several other MP5 variants throughout the film.

One of two MP5A3 sub-machine guns Wai Lin uses on the stealth boat, (minus the shoulder sling):
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50330009151_56d37cb3a8_h.jpg
    Actually, that's my doppelgänger!